Narrowed down to two... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Narrowed down to two...

It looks like my wife is going to let me upgrade my exhaust (cat or axle back) for my birthday this month. I have it narrowed down to:
Magnaflow Street (cat back) $699
MBRP Cat back exhaust $547 (408 S.S.) $477 (aluminized steel)

All are mandrel bent 2.5" pipes.
I "plan" on eventually upgrading all the exhaust (headers, high flow cats, h-pipe, mid-pipes, (is that right, or is the mid pipe replaced with the H?))
I wouldn't mind an axle back, but those only seem to save around $60, so why not take it back to the cats?

Is there anyone near Atlanta with a V-6 that has either one of these on a 3.7 that I can listen to? I know that's the best way to choose, but based on the sound clips online, I like the sound of these ones the best. I want a deep growl (as deep as a V6 can make) but not obnoxious, minimal/no drone. I don't like a raspy sound, even at WOT. I don't like gurgles/pops. I don't want to wake my neighbors rolling in after work after midnight. Any other ones I should consider?
ageless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ageless1 View Post
It looks like my wife is going to let me upgrade my exhaust (cat or axle back) for my birthday this month. I have it narrowed down to:

I "plan" on eventually upgrading all the exhaust (headers, high flow cats, h-pipe, mid-pipes, (is that right, or is the mid pipe replaced with the H?))
I wouldn't mind an axle back, but those only seem to save around $60, so why not take it back to the cats?

Is there anyone near Atlanta with a V-6 that has either one of these on a 3.7 that I can listen to? I know that's the best way to choose, but based on the sound clips online, I like the sound of these ones the best. I want a deep growl (as deep as a V6 can make) but not obnoxious, minimal/no drone. I don't like a raspy sound, even at WOT. I don't like gurgles/pops. I don't want to wake my neighbors rolling in after work after midnight. Any other ones I should consider?

I'm in the process of getting a new axel back as well lol the wife has also approved my spending spree haha.. My two choices are the borla s-type or the magnaflow street.. From what I've seen our 13-14's pipes are pretty decent and don't need a full cat exhaust but if you have the cash then by all means go for it.. The streets to me sounded a little more raspy then the stingers but the stingers sounded like more of a controlled note.. I have an H pype so shouldn't be so raspy
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I must be a very lucky car/toy owner, my girl lets me do as I wish and desire on my rides , no permission or pre approval
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydos View Post
I must be a very lucky car/toy owner, my girl lets me do as I wish and desire on my rides , no permission or pre approval

Lol it's cause I'm about to get married this Dec.. So funding a 15k wedding and my mustang hobby on the side is a pain in the butt! Hopefully she don't give me trouble later down the road haha
Old 06-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hey jaylg86

You say:
Quote:
The streets to me sounded a little more raspy then the stingers but the stingers sounded like more of a controlled note.. I have an H pype so shouldn't be so raspy
You are sure backwards on this. The Magnaflow streets are a deeper rumble and not as loud as the stingers. They come alive perfect when you floor it but just a nice deep tone in normal driving. The Stingers sound OK but they are kind of tinny sounding compared to the Streets. The Borla touring are not as loud as the stingers. Unless you want a lot of sound you need the Streets or Touring.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE=ageless1;2020914]It looks like my wife is going to let me upgrade my exhaust (cat or axle back) for my birthday this month. I have it narrowed down to:

I purchased part #15595 and they fit my 2014 V6 perfectly. Got them off of Amazon for a really great price. Amazon.com: magnaflow 15595
2014 Ruby Red V6 Premium, Pony Package, Magnaflow Street Axle-backs, MMD Hood Struts, SCT X4 with Steeda lifetime tunes, Boss 302 Strut tower brace, JLT Oil Separator, OEM extended range remote start, Raxiom Navigation.
dj2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
I'm in the process of getting a new axel back as well lol the wife has also approved my spending spree haha.. My two choices are the borla s-type or the magnaflow street.. From what I've seen our 13-14's pipes are pretty decent and don't need a full cat exhaust but if you have the cash then by all means go for it.. The streets to me sounded a little more raspy then the stingers but the stingers sounded like more of a controlled note.. I have an H pype so shouldn't be so raspy
Go borla! They will also sound much better than the streets if you decide to go LTS in the future.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Go borla!

I did buddy! I ordered both the borla stingers and the bbk short headers I am so excited!!! But I gave been hearing a lot of bad about short headers + sound..
Old 06-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

+1 good choice! I have bbk shorties and the only sound difference I noticed was it toned down my Roush a tad, My only complaint about bbk is the quality, the chrome plating is bad(had two sets with rust) and too much mig spatter all over them!

Old 06-01-2014, 08:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did buddy! I ordered both the borla stingers and the bbk short headers I am so excited!!! But I gave been hearing a lot of bad about short headers + sound..
Your exhaust will sound good, you won't be disappointed.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Your exhaust will sound good, you won't be disappointed.

Man I'm too excited I'll take before n after videos! Next is gears and drive shaft.. And then I'm set to head to the drag strip
Old 06-01-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

If I can muster the extra cash borlas will be my next exhaust. But if cash is a little tight I'll go flows....BTW I went with 3.73s from the stock 2.73 and all can say is it was by far the best performance mod I have done!!! The difference was night and day. Your exhaust will sound fantastic! Enjoy!

Old 06-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have an auto and is stock so I believe I am running 3.31's.. Was the recommendation 4.10's for autos?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I hear. 3.73s manual,4.10s auto. 4.10s in my baby would have be ridiculous (manual) lol.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have an auto and is stock so I believe I am running 3.31's.. Was the recommendation 4.10's for autos?
Yes 4.10s are the favorite but I think 3.73 will be what your looking for.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yea cause I don't want to be riding high in my gears on the highway but then again if my set up sounds good maybe I won't mind lol
Old 06-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I can also say that my highway mpg is still very good......but my city holy ****. Lol. Just so much damn fun. Hard to stay off it.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I can also say that my highway mpg is still very good......but my city holy ****. Lol. Just so much damn fun. Hard to stay off it.

Your telling me I was testing out my car.. Before I would get 25 city 32 highway before mods after mods I get 26 highway 18 city but realized I deff slam the gas more haha these cars are way to much fun..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang