2014 v6 current HP - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
2014 v6 current HP

Hi everyone,
I added JLT CAI and flowmaster exhausts, what is your best guess at what my current HP level is at? I just ordered the modern billet retro one and it looks awesome. What do you guys do when other v6's rev at you? Then i look at its a stock convertible LOL
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post

Lol true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Really? That's it?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately. Axelbacks do not produce any HP gains, and a CAI without a tune won't provide any gains either. I have a CAI also but I do have a tune, but other than it looking pretty with the hood up and sounding nice there is really noticeable gains.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It's hard to say but from what I've read the axle back is basically just for sound and would only be 1-3 hp at most. For the CAI you might get some from it but in order to see any major gains you will need a tune to go along with it. I would say with a tune you would probable be looking at a solid 15-20 hp increase though.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Nah, you guys must be joking with me. LOL. I don't wanna get a tune cuz I don't want to void the warranty. Plus I read some comments on AM that the additional power due to a tune is not really worth it. What do you guys have to say about that?
Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

You probably lost power actually. The stock air box is really effective. An open filter CAI is going to bring in warmer air.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
Nah, you guys must be joking with me. LOL. I don't wanna get a tune cuz I don't want to void the warranty. Plus I read some comments on AM that the additional power due to a tune is not really worth it. What do you guys have to say about that?
I don't think many here will agree with that statement....
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The tuner is where you'll notice the most gains compared to the CAI. A CAI will produce a bit more power once headers and high flow or off road x/h pipe is installed. A CAI with axelback won't produce anything to write home about.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
That's erroneous lol the tune alone adds about 15-20ish hp. The faster you throw that warranty away the happier you will be. I voided my warranty about a week after i got my car. No problems yet.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
You probably lost power actually. The stock air box is really effective. An open filter CAI is going to bring in warmer air.
False. That only occurs at a stop. As soon as you start moving, the engine bay is flooded with ambient air temps. I had a short air intake on my old Grand Prix and I used to scan and watch IAT temps, and they dropped fast. I realized really quick that anyone who bashed a short air intake that lacked a "CAI" divider didn't know what they were talking about.

Besides, the main thing that restricts the factory airbox is the baffles in the tubing that are there to reduce intake noise.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
That's erroneous lol the tune alone adds about 15-20ish hp. The faster you throw that warranty away the happier you will be. I voided my warranty about a week after i got my car. No problems yet.
+1.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

2014 v6 current HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
False. That only occurs at a stop. As soon as you start moving, the engine bay is flooded with ambient air temps. I had a short air intake on my old Grand Prix and I used to scan and watch IAT temps, and they dropped fast. I realized really quick that anyone who bashed a short air intake that lacked a "CAI" divider didn't know what they were talking about.

Besides, the main thing that restricts the factory airbox is the baffles in the tubing that are there to reduce intake noise.

You have to remember the location. Most CAIs for new Mustangs seem to angle back toward the engine, away from the outside air that is coming in. You are getting the air straight off the engine. I've seen this proven. Some cars they do work. Like Subarus with a hood scoop, Mach 1s with the shaker, 4th gen camaro and TA with ram air through the hood.... Not a Mustang when the filter is behind the headlight.

HID end all thread
Old 06-02-2014, 10:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

The stock OEM airbox is more of a cold air intakeI then even my airaid that has a box around it and a rubber seal to help keep out the engine heat. Reason being is the stock airbox is completely sealed and pulls air from the the tube that runs to the front of the car. Even my "seal" that is around the box has some deformation and doesn't completely seal the box 100℅. I'll post pics of it tomorrow to prove this. It has been proven that the stock airbox provides more than enough real cold air and is not restrictive.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
For some cais this is true. But take steeda's for example. The filter Is surrounded by an aluminum housing with a flexy rubber material on the top edge of the housing which seals against the inside of the hood. It also makes use of the cars air inlet behind the grille, bringing fresh air right into the sealed housing compartment. So most heat from the engine is blocked out.
Yes just like my airaid, but key word here is "most heat" where the OEM is 100℅ sealed and no heat will enter the box. Just my 2¢.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #17
ME Bloodhound
Staff

And going back to Sanguin.... You can't really compare a brand new Mustang to an "old Grand Prix".... Better tech from the factory. These arent the days where you can take out your muffler and gain 15 horsepower.

HID end all thread
Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

All I have to say is that my BBk CIA and axel back performed nothing like what it is right now thanks to a bama tune.. It really ties on all the mods together.. I'm installing my BBK short headers this weekend so should sound even more fierce.. Oh and I have borla S-Type axel back.. No horse power gains off of axel backs they just alter the tone.. CIA is minimal.. But add a tune and wow
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Oh and what is "warranty" lol.. I tuned my car with 10k miles on it.. Like Some one said.. The sooner you void it the faster you will enjoy your car lol if you choose not to it's understandable.. But it will be sluggish IMO.. I'll upload a video of my automatic 2014 V6 with a tune.. You'll love the gear shifts
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:26 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
And going back to Sanguin.... You can't really compare a brand new Mustang to an "old Grand Prix".... Better tech from the factory. These arent the days where you can take out your muffler and gain 15 horsepower.
Ah, old I meant 2000. My Grand Prix was a 3.8 supercharged with cam, headers, ported blower, custom exhaust, and 3.25" pulley pumping 12lbs of boost to the engine. I tuned it myself doing scans with my laptop and tuning software. Almost everyone routed their intake behind the headlight, just like us.

My Grand Prix' engine bay...

Old 06-03-2014, 12:31 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

The best way to think of intake and exhaust is in the terms of an air pump. You can have it wide open but unless you alter the way the pump functions it can only process so much in and out meaning at some point the restriction is the pump itself opposed to the intake or exhaust.

On these cars Ford actually did a really good job with the intake and exhaust and they are part of the reason these cars make 305 HP probable. On a stock tune the stock intake exhaust flows well enough to more then support the engine. And unless you modify the way the engine works (tune) there will be little to no gains with bolt on's. A perfect example is if you have 2 stock mustangs and one has a supercharger on it all else being stock. Adding the same exhaust and intake will add larger gains for the supercharger application since is is more of a bottleneck to the engines performance.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Ah, old I meant 2000. My Grand Prix was a 3.8 supercharged with cam, headers, ported blower, custom exhaust, and 3.25" pulley pumping 12lbs of boost to the engine. I tuned it myself doing scans with my laptop and tuning software. Almost everyone routed their intake behind the headlight, just like us.

My Grand Prix' engine bay...

The supercharger is why. That's one of the only cases on these newer Mustangs that make a difference with the CAI.

HID end all thread
Old 06-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have bbk shortys lethal offroad h and roush abs and I'd say I'm Proabally only at 290rwhp. Maybe less. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Big_red502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_red502 View Post
I have bbk shortys lethal offroad h and roush abs and I'd say I'm Proabally only at 290rwhp. Maybe less. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I would say you would be around 290 if you got a tune. But honestly these cars generally put down in the 250's 260's to the wheels depending on type of dyno and what kind of transmission you have. Automatics generally experience more drivetrain loss but I would say its fair to assume between a 12-17 % loss in power between the 305 the engine makes and the rear wheels. And with a couple minor bolt on's I don't see a 20-30 HP power increase between the better flowing parts and the cars PCM auto correcting for the better flow. Without a tune bolt-on's dont seem to do much at all due to the factory intake/exhaust flowing so well with the stock tune settings.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I do have a tune forgot to mention that.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I would say you would be around 290 if you got a tune. But honestly these cars generally put down in the 250's 260's to the wheels depending on type of dyno and what kind of transmission you have. Automatics generally experience more drivetrain loss but I would say its fair to assume between a 12-17 % loss in power between the 305 the engine makes and the rear wheels. And with a couple minor bolt on's I don't see a 20-30 HP power increase between the better flowing parts and the cars PCM auto correcting for the better flow. Without a tune bolt-on's dont seem to do much at all due to the factory intake/exhaust flowing so well with the stock tune settings.

Forgot to mention the tune. But yes I have a Bama 93 race tune
Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It is not about "cold air" but more about volume. Like stated when you start moving that whole hot air thing goes out the window.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
305 hp!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:17 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
It is not about "cold air" but more about volume. Like stated when you start moving that whole hot air thing goes out the window.
Someone that finally gets it. Also, you can't get colder than ambient on an N/A setup, just saying.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Like others have said, axlebacks and a cai will add very little if any extra horsepower. A tune with your mods will add 15-20 more horsepower, maybe....
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Someone that finally gets it. Also, you can't get colder than ambient on an N/A setup, just saying.
Your right, but you also can't get colder 100% of the time than a sealed box where there is no risk engine heat whether stopped or wot. On these 3.7s there really is no benefits of an aftermarket CAI, hey I have one (airaid) and other than looking pretty and sounding good its pretty useless. I've run my car with it tuned and without it tuned and there is no difference. The only difference you'll feel when its installed is the extra little punch the car gives as it re learns from disconnecting the battery for a day or two, not the CAI. just my 2¢. The engine is only going to take what it needs, as proven the stock air box is not restrictive and a CAI cannot "force" more air than the engine requires. With bolt ons a CAI is as useless as a tb spacer for power.......... Ok maybe too far but you get the picture. Lol

Old 06-04-2014, 09:10 AM   #32
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
old enough to know about packing ice around the intake......

OP to the 2nd part of your question about reving engine. I've heard sometimes folks do a friendly race if it is safe. And by safe I am talking about at a track. Street racing is wrong.....
Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Dude get a tuner and some 3.73 gears!!

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang