Full synthetic or blend - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Full synthetic or blend

So I'm starting to think about what oil I'm going to use on my first oil change. Royal purple seems to be the flavor of the moment, how many are using Mobil one? Thoughts on the motor craft blend?
I have used Mobil one in the past on a Cadillac cts, I loved the longevity of the oil, had one interval go for 10k miles.
Share your thoughts please.
dacm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I'm also interested in some replies with my car being due for a oil change soon as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Full synthetic or blend

Here is a basic article from car talk. I've used Motor Craft Synthetic Blend for years and have had no issues.

http://m.cartalk.com/content/today-synthetic-oil-myths

**^this should be the correct link my apologies.

For the record, I wasn't trying to sell a phone number in case anyone clicked the old link haha
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 06:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I've used motorcraft synthetic blend for years with no issues. My wife's flex has it in it now. I run Mobil 1 full synthetic in my car. You can't go wrong either way.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have never read or heard anything bad about Motorcraft synthetic blend. I used it until i switched to Mobil 1 my last oil change. The good thing about it is, you can buy both from Walmart
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Motorcraft Syn-blend has a good reputation. If you want real knowledge on the subject then head over to bobistheoilguy.com. Lots of the users there will actually have their used oil analyzed and then post the results.

The truth is most any modern SN/GF-5 rated oil is good. Oils have come a long way, and your car can live a happy life on most any name brand product.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Ive always full synthetic. I like the Castrol 15000 mile oil. Ive never had an issue with it. The only oil Ive ever used is Mobil 1 Extended and the Castrol.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Bmw did a full sythetic test with mobil 1. Reached million miles, engine was a 8 on the clean scale. A 10 was plant built and never started.

That and royal purple has too many modifiers in it. If you want a step above them, get amsoil
Old 06-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I'm leaning toward Mobil one. I think it's sold at SAMs club too
Old 06-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I use Mobil 1. I'd probably use Motorcraft full synthetic if I could get it, but it's limited availability around here. Mobil 1 you can get almost anywhere.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 01:49 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mobil 1 Extended in my Stang. Motorcraft Blend in the Flex and Fiesta.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:10 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The brand is only part of the equation. Mobile One, Valvoline, Motorcraft, Amsoil, Royal Purple... All are considered good, if not great oils. Most important is the certification seal and viscosity that you choose. A 5w-20 blend, I believe, is what comes from the factory and is what Ford recommends. $ wise, Motorcraft synthetic blend is the best value and you shouldn't have any problems. If you want a little extra protection, look into a full synthetic 0w-20, not cheap but from what I've read, is probably the "best" protection available. Some other factors to consider are driving conditions, driving style, trip duration and climate.
ageless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
After finding out NAPA full synthetic is made just like Valvoline full synthetic I stopped using Castrol Edge as I can get the NAPA oil $4.75 qt. Redline oil is great too.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl View Post
After finding out NAPA full synthetic is made just like Valvoline full synthetic I stopped using Castrol Edge as I can get the NAPA oil $4.75 qt. Redline oil is great too.

Not to say that NAPA oil is any thing short of good, it is made by the same company that makes Valvoline but is not the same.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

.....and come to find out amazon has a deal on royal purple right now. Just got six qts 5w20 and got the royal purple oil filter for free. $40 total with free shipping. Just could not pass that up.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Even better!

Wait! Don't do it! It's a trick straight from the devil himself! $40 divided by 6 (qts) = 6.66/qt!
Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I did quite a bit of looking for the "right" kind of oil to use. For anyone that really cares about learning about engine oil, there are two resources that really stood out to me. Bob is the oil guy (.com) and Car bibles(.com) both have more information than I care to admit that I read; and since the information in them has good citations, I believe that most of the info is, in fact, good info.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageless1 View Post
Even better!

Wait! Don't do it! It's a trick straight from the devil himself! $40 divided by 6 (qts) = 6.66/qt!

Too funny, never would have made that connection.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Just one thing to keep in mind when switching from semi (blend) synthetic to full synthetic: your oil monitor will not know the difference, so when it alarms you to change the oil, it is based on a couple of things. One, the type of driving (stop/go verses highway), mileage, and time. So on average, the motorcraft semi synthetic boasts a 10K interval between changes, where as most full synthetics advertise much longer, but the oil monitor that's built in does not reconize this, so it will still trigger on driving type, time, and mileage to calculate the change interval.

If you go full synthetic and want to take full advantage of its life expectancy, you will need to manually track the oil change frequency.

Please, no posts on those chosing to use full synthetic and change it every 5K; we all know that's a waste of money, and with change intervals as such, semi synthetic would be the wiser choice.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Great point Bucko! Don't forget that for a few dollars, one could get their oil analyzed and know for sure... so I hear. I've never done that.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Fact of the matter is, if your not running at the track... You don't have to have the most expensive oil if you follow the proper oil change intervals... Just my 2. Cents
Sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I will advise this

Now this is my opinion,
The very first oil change you do. At around 3,500 miles go to your Ford dealer and let them change it using Motorcraft semi-synthetic. If your dealer is worth a crap they will go over a checklist of things to be looked at. If you have anything at all to be looked at, This is the time. Your car will be on record as having the oil changed.
I then went to 10,000 miles and changed to full synthetic. From here on I will probably go at least 10,000 between changes. Full synthetic Motorcraft for the rest of the time I own my car.
I'm lucky because I have a very good Ford dealer that I just go up and let them do it. They usually send me discount coupons and they have a seperate building that they only do oil changes and tire rotations in. I ask for the guy I like and he does a perfect inspection and checks out everything on my car for me.
The big reason to do it at 3,500 miles is to get the very little bit of grit (IF ANY) out of the engine left from manufacturing and break in seating of parts.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

A blended oil will still have conventional properties. Therefore will not last as long as a full sythetic. Yes mobil one is no longer a class 4 oil but it is a high 3. I will never wait 10,000 miles to change my oil. I go only 6-8,000. 8 being if I don't have time. Another thing is change the filter frequently and not every 10,000. I do mine every 3500 and use a motorcraft. Watch some videos and decide for yourself as far as pleats go.

Now I will recommend 5w-20 oil strictly. A 5-30 or above is too heavy for the engine and will Cause heat and wear problems.for example, 5 is what the weight of the oil is, cold. 20 being when hot. The engine is engineered to run on a top weight of 20. Too much and it can't perform at it's peak. Too little and it won't lubricate enough. Just simple AST training from work is my source.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Ford does all my oil changes, my little sticker they put is 8k from the current milage but I'll change it at 7.lol. Just my 2¢ but why would anyone question or put anything other than what ford uses and recommends for a dd? No one knows your ford like........ford.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Ford does all my oil changes, my little sticker they put is 8k from the current milage but I'll change it at 7.lol. Just my 2¢ but why would anyone question or put anything other than what ford uses and recommends for a dd? No one knows your ford like........ford.

Except when Ford gets lazy, only lets the oil drain for 15 minutes then slaps in a new filter, and leaves bolts tightened wrong like amateurs. Hence why I do all of my own now lol. That could be said of just about any oil change place though.

Personally I use Royal Purple, expensive, yes. Worth it? I think so. I felt a very noticeable difference from using Motorcraft. I won't go buying into the Sulphur-laden HPE oil though haha
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

When I had the gears done they used RP, also when ford decided to post a tsb for the cold shifting (manuals) and changed transmission fluids to the dual clutch trans fluid it help with the cold shifting but IMO doesn't do well in extreme summer heat and traffic, after all heat kills trannys After sitting in a hour of traffic in scorching hot summer temps I found the transmission to be noticeably louder. I decided to go with RP in the transmission as wel as the diffl and IMO deals with the heats WAY better than the OEM dual clutch. So yes I agree paying more might mean paying less down the road, but motorcraft oil in my engine with a motorcraft filter is more than good enough. Until I read or see problems with it I'll stick with it. Thumbs

Old 06-07-2014, 07:23 AM   #27
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Really ??????? I mean "REALLY" ????????????

JoeyM91 say's:
[QUOTE][Personally I use Royal Purple, expensive, yes. Worth it? I think so. I felt a very noticeable difference from using Motorcraft/QUOTE]

Did you really feel a difference in your car just changing oil? "REALLY" ????
Was it a HUGE or slight difference?????

Ronnie
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
[QUOTE=ronnie948;2024652]JoeyM91 say's:
Quote:
[Personally I use Royal Purple, expensive, yes. Worth it? I think so. I felt a very noticeable difference from using Motorcraft/QUOTE]

Did you really feel a difference in your car just changing oil? "REALLY" ????
Was it a HUGE or slight difference?????

Ronnie
I couldn't honestly say "huge" per-se. But everything seems to run noticeably smoother, that's enough to sell me. If it works, it works. Not afraid to pay a couple extra dollars a quart for it.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A good"How To"

Adding oil the proper way:
Click here>> http://i.imgur.com/gpALGIH.gif

Ronnie
Old 06-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Adding oil the proper way:
Click here>> http://i.imgur.com/gpALGIH.gif

Ronnie
Lmao! Good one!

Old 06-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Technically, she did add oil to the engine...

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

...didn't even get her hands dirty, either!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

At least she did not mess up the drain plug.

Ronnie
Old 06-08-2014, 01:38 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Lmao! Good one!

Haha! Nice one!
blueprint87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang