MT-82 Question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Region: Florida
MT-82 Question

I have a 2014 V6 6 speed and have a quick shifting question. Only have 5,000 miles on the car and 1st gear is still very stiff to engage straight from neutral. Ford dealer recommended that I shift from 2nd to 1st at a complete stop and that has been working great. My only question is should I be down-shifting into 1st when the car is barely rolling (under 5 m.p.h.) when I am getting ready to accelerate in heavy traffic? Or should I put in in 2nd and rev it up a little before letting the clutch out? The car seems to like engaging into 1st at a complete stop rather than under 5 m.p.h. Thanks a lot for your replies.
Silver_Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Do whatever feels more comfortable.

You also shouldn't have to go from 2nd to 1st, to get 1st to engage normally...
Old 06-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Stang View Post
I have a 2014 V6 6 speed and have a quick shifting question. Only have 5,000 miles on the car and 1st gear is still very stiff to engage straight from neutral. Ford dealer recommended that I shift from 2nd to 1st at a complete stop and that has been working great. My only question is should I be down-shifting into 1st when the car is barely rolling (under 5 m.p.h.) when I am getting ready to accelerate in heavy traffic? Or should I put in in 2nd and rev it up a little before letting the clutch out? The car seems to like engaging into 1st at a complete stop rather than under 5 m.p.h. Thanks a lot for your replies.
Aftermarket shifter bracket cured mine
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

I have a Barton short throw shifter and steel bracket installed. 1st gear was very stiff with stock setup as well. The Ford dealer told me that downshifting from 2nd to 1st would also help align the synchros, and that by 10,000 miles 1st gear would be much easier to engage.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have a Barton short throw shifter and steel bracket installed. 1st gear was very stiff with stock setup as well. The Ford dealer told me that downshifting from 2nd to 1st would also help align the synchros, and that by 10,000 miles 1st gear would be much easier to engage.
My transmission was hard to shift into first gear until the car warmed up and I cycled through the gears a few times. I installed the barton bracket at 2500 miles and now have 9000 miles and have not had anymore shifting issues. 2nd gear was hit and miss before the bracket also.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #6

Glad to hear your shifting issues are resolved. What was your mileage when your shifting issues first starting to disappear?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Glad to hear your shifting issues are resolved. What was your mileage when your shifting issues first starting to disappear?
Between 2500-2800 miles. I actually hated my transmission and regretted not getting an automatic but once the bracket was installed I have zero complaints with the manual.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
As others say swap the OEM shifter bracket, makes a huge difference!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:23 PM   #9

Great replies. Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Keep in mind if you bring your car into the dealer for transmission issues an aftermarket shifter or bracket may lead to warranty denial. There are work arounds of course.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Earlier today I finished installing my Barton two post bracket, Whitleline transmission insert, and Amsoil MTF. The difference is amazing.

There is added vibration, likely due from the Whiteline insert. However I modified the insert by cutting off the center rib, which many have said causes the most of the increased vibration.
The shifter is now a bit louder, but overall offers much more solid and positive engagement of each gear. The added transmission mount reduces slop at high RPM gear changes. Before I'd be fishing for second gear when at high RPM and now its much more positive engagement. When cruising the added vibration is not noticeable. When you are accelerating you can feel the increased vibration in the shifter itself, and once you reach over 4000rpm it becomes apparent audibly through the rest of the car. It definitely sounds like a muscle car now in the cabin, but is tame enough for daily driving and at city speeds you wont even know anything is different.

As for the fluid, its difficult to seperate all the variables due to changing three things at once, but I would get a nibble when shifting into second gear, especially when cold. In the short amount of driving I've done since the change, second gear feels much better, as does rolling into first gear when coming to stop.

Overall I'm pleased. Installing the barton shifter bracket and the whiteline insert was easy. Actually pumping the new fluid into the transmission took longer then everything else combined. I was using one of those crappy fluid pumps which screw to the top of the bottles and each pump was 1/8th an ounce. It was a nightmare, next time I'm getting an electric fluid transfer pump.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang