Lowering springs & Installation - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Lowering springs & Installation

Hey all so it is time to lower my pony for the summer. I am looking for a cheap yet quality set up.
Right now I have in mind:
SR lowering springs
J&M adj. panhard bar
The total for these with discount would be about $250~

Would this be sufficient for lowering? Yes I know about the CC plates but I do not want to spend the money on them. I have heard and read through research that the SR springs with the adj. panhard are fine. I was also looking at the Eibach pro kit but that with the panhard would be about $400~.

Is this an installation I can do myself with a friend and renting a spring compressor? I read that it is simple enough just have it aligned after. Would love to save $250 for the install.
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I would stick with the Eibach based on the name itself. When it comes to suspension they know what they are doing. I know AM sells SR and I'm not going to say any thing negative, but I'm not sure who even makes it.

As far as the install, if you have average abilities it's a very easy job. You don't even need a compressor. There is a video to show you how to do it, do a Google search for it.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Hey all so it is time to lower my pony for the summer. I am looking for a cheap yet quality set up.
SR lowering springs
J&M adj. panhard bar

Would this be sufficient for lowering? Yes I know about the CC plates but I do not want to spend the money on them. I have heard and read through research that the SR springs with the adj. panhard are fine. I was also looking at the Eibach pro kit but that with the panhard would be about $400~.

Is this an installation I can do myself with a friend and renting a spring compressor? I read that it is simple enough just have it aligned after. Would love to save $250 for the install.
That's exactly the set up I have. Ride quality is very close to stock and it makes the car look awesome! You and a friend can definitely do this in an afternoon with a spring compressor. Go for it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I was looking at the same setup. Very leery about the damage to stock suspension if additional stock parts aren't swapped out.
Mustang34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Same set up I have no problems good drop and nice ride.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I have the SR springs and SR panhard bar. install can def be done yourself, i did mine with all hand tools and a spring compressor (although i recommend having air tools if possible to make your life easier).

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Same set up I have no problems good drop and nice ride.

How long have you been riding with that setup?
Mustang34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #8
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
SR lowering springs
J&M adj. panhard bar

GrabberBlue1993,

You shouldn't have any issues with the SR lowering springs and J&M adjustable Panhard Bar together. Lots of our customers run this setup as their only suspension upgrades and have no issues. Particularly the 11-14 Mustangs seem to be okay without even needing camber bolts for an acceptable alignment!

The best part about the SR springs is they still have a very comfortable ride quality. Even with the stock struts and shocks, the ride comfort is near stock quality. Although, it gets even better with aftermarket struts/shocks which you can add down the road!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
GrabberBlue1993,

You shouldn't have any issues with the SR lowering springs and J&M adjustable Panhard Bar together. Lots of our customers run this setup as their only suspension upgrades and have no issues. Particularly the 11-14 Mustangs seem to be okay without even needing camber bolts for an acceptable alignment!

The best part about the SR springs is they still have a very comfortable ride quality. Even with the stock struts and shocks, the ride comfort is near stock quality. Although, it gets even better with aftermarket struts/shocks which you can add down the road!

Shane
Awesome I saw all the parts on AM so I will be using my newly acquired forum discount and purchasing them . Am also thinking about throwing on the Roush side splitters as seen on the project car to make the drop seem even lower without having to lower it more and get additional parts.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
That's exactly the set up I have. Ride quality is very close to stock and it makes the car look awesome! You and a friend can definitely do this in an afternoon with a spring compressor. Go for it!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thanks for the info. I feel like the price just can't be beat and I don't see the sense in spending an extra $100+ for something just because of a name when so many others have the SR springs and love them. What tools will I need besides a spring compressor? Sorry for the questions I just started modding 6 months ago so I'm kind of a noob when it comes to tools and things. I will have a friend who knows his stuff better than I do assisting, he has never lowered a car before however.
Spring Compressor
Impact wrench?
we have a full socket set as well as screw drivers, etc.
Old 06-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang34 View Post
How long have you been riding with that setup?
Around 7000 miles. My car is a daily driver. Tires look good and the car is straight driving down the road no pulling
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Welp. SR lowering springs are out of stock on AM I have to wait for them to come back in stock.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

There's an installation guide on AM on the SR spring page. It lists all the tools you'll need and the instructions are very clear and straight forward. I was able to do it myself just fine in six hours, only because I took my time and made sure it was done right. The only mistake I made was not replace my panhard bar. If you don't replace that with an adjustable one, it won't destroy your suspension but it'll wear it out improperly due to your axle being shifted to the left from lowering it.

CC plates are not required for a 1.5" drop but camber bolts are recommend. I say this because after I installed my springs, I went to get an alignment and they told me they could not get the camber done without them (Firestone). They're only 30 bucks a pair on AM and slip right on easy. Also, expect alignment shops to charge you $20 extra than normal for an alignment, firestone did that to me because apparently swapping springs has made my car an "exotic".
StolenSinner09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
S197 Mustang Lowering Spring Installation - LatemodelRestoration.com

Easy to follow vid. Very easy to do.
Troy
Old 06-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenSinner09 View Post
Also, expect alignment shops to charge you $20 extra than normal for an alignment, firestone did that to me because apparently swapping springs has made my car an "exotic".
Lol, kinda sounds like they ripped you off an extra $20 unless that was the charge to throw the camber bolts on...even then that sounds like a price gouge. I haven't read anything about an alignment costing more due to lowering springs.
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Follow me on instagram @that_deep_impact
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I agree. Uv been had. Only up charge I have ever had on an alignment, was when I went way low one time...they had to use blocks to get on the ramp.
Troy
Old 06-09-2014, 04:14 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

First time I went in there, they could not do it, said I needed to buy cam bolt kits from them. $130 per wheel. I can not make this up. Found some on AM for $30 TOTAL. Went back, they said they're only allowed to install parts bought from them. Installed the bolts came back, then they said I put them in the wrong bracket. Instructions stated that they go on top, firestone, for whatever reason said they won't work unless they're on bottom. I was about to lose my damn mind.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

They wanted to charge me $90 dollars just to switch the bolts...
Old 06-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenSinner09 View Post
They wanted to charge me $90 dollars just to switch the bolts...

Thats insane!!
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang