Weightloss - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Weightloss

Mustangs are known to be heavy. Which is why the V6 struggles. Is there anything I could take out of the car that would make a weight difference? Im not talking anything crazy like back seats.
WipeYourEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Do you drag with it?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

When it comes to weight reduction, there isn't anything you can do that's not "crazy". If you don't feel like taking anything out, the next option would be replacing parts made from lighter components, but if you can't afford such parts, you only option is to remove parts.

Before I hit the drags to race, I have a standard weight reduction procedure that I do. It consists of removing the back seat, passenger seat, spare tire and jack, trunk mat, nitrogen filled tires and having 1/4 or less fuel in my tank. All together, that drops at least 170lbs.
StolenSinner09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Rear seat delete
Tubular K member
Tubular A Arms
Aluminum driveshaft
AC delete
Carbon Fiber/ Fiberglass body parts
Forged wheels

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Unfortunately most of these weight saving tricks don't take weight off the already heavy front end. My Mustang handles better and is more balanced with a full tank of gas I've noticed.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
Unfortunately most of these weight saving tricks don't take weight off the already heavy front end. My Mustang handles better and is more balanced with a full tank of gas I've noticed.

Tubular K member,A arms, and AC delete take a lot of weight off the front. So will a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood. The Aluminum driveshaft and forged wheels take off rotating weight. And that helps the car even more than taking off regular weight.

HID end all thread
Old 06-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Tubular K member,A arms, and AC delete take a lot of weight off the front. So will a fiberglass or carbon fiber hood. The Aluminum driveshaft and forged wheels take off rotating weight. And that helps the car even more than taking off regular weight.
My apologies, I was refering to the removal of the back seat, spare, 1/4 tank and Jack. The things you listed will not only remove weight, they will improve balance, response, ride quality, and handling.
I was shocked at the improvement I got when I "downgraded" the wheels on my 350Z from 18s to 17s in the same width and outer diameter. I removed 6 pounds from each front and 4 from the rear and the improvement below 40 MPH in responsiveness was shocking. I need to improve how I respond to posts. I would love to do all the things you mentioned, they would make a HUGE improvement.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
My apologies, I was refering to the removal of the back seat, spare, 1/4 tank and Jack. The things you listed will not only remove weight, they will improve balance, response, ride quality, and handling.

I was shocked at the improvement I got when I "downgraded" the wheels on my 350Z from 18s to 17s in the same width and outer diameter. I removed 6 pounds from each front and 4 from the rear and the improvement below 40 MPH in responsiveness was shocking. I need to improve how I respond to posts. I would love to do all the things you mentioned, they would make a HUGE improvement.

I plan to do everything I mentioned to my own car.... Except the AC delete lol

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang