Paint issues? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Paint issues?

Hey guys. I've got a bit of a concern with some of the paint on my car. Right where the left side corner bumper meets the fender, the paint is wrinkling and/or peeling off 😧. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I did remove the bumper at one point to install new grilles, but I triple-checked to make sure everything was buttoned up and aligned correctly. Could this be something I did? If so, is there any sort of remedy for this? I really don't want to have the whole bumper re-sprayed, because of color matching issues. Help?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1402876349.306988.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	614.8 KB
ID:	159325

Ps: I am supposed to be able to pull that corner out as much as that? 😰
UB2PED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
That's exactly how mine is. I guess it's normal? Or though I hope it is.
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Paint chipping shouldn't be happening. If it really bothers you, contact the dealer and they should be able to resolve the issue for you. It is a new car, paint shouldn't be coming off already!
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I said! I'm gonna take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what's up. I've only had it for 2.5 months!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You should have 5 years on paint. And my bumper doesn't do that it seems like you have a missing or broken clip. They are very easy to snap/break when removing the bumper.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe I did do something. But I guess it would be on my wallet instead of theirs since I was "tampering" with the bumper. Or I don't tell them and hope they don't find out lol.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I guess both you and I have to take our cars to the dealers lol
fknjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB2PED View Post
Maybe I did do something. But I guess it would be on my wallet instead of theirs since I was "tampering" with the bumper. Or I don't tell them and hope they don't find out lol.
I wouldn't tell them. As long as they fix the paint, the clip if I remember what it looks like can't be much more than a couple of bucks.

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Old 06-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

IMO even if you broke the clip the paint shouldn't be cracking. If anything maybe scratched from where it would rub.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It looks as thought it is rubbing, which would be why the paint is "wrinkling".
Old 06-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It looks as thought it is rubbing, which would be why the paint is "wrinkling".
If your dealer doesn't suck then they should take car of it for you. I remember when I did my grille I cringed when I had to snap that exact area off to remove the bumper. But like someone has mentioned I don't believe that would cause the paint to crack like it is. Maybe someone will chime in that has more paint experience than we do.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's very true. I hated taking mine off too. They had to make it difficult to replace a grille apparently. My dealer is usually pretty good about stuff like this. We'll see what happens. I'll post the news when I find out more. Thanks for helping me debunk this btw, I appreciate it.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's very true. I hated taking mine off too. They had to make it difficult to replace a grille apparently. My dealer is usually pretty good about stuff like this. We'll see what happens. I'll post the news when I find out more. Thanks for helping me debunk this btw, I appreciate it.
Anytime! Let us know, good luck, it will work out.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Replacing the grille is something that has a lot of potential problems the first time. You can watch videos and read directions but it isn't the same as actually doing it and experiencing what it feels like. I hope things work out for you. Let us know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
texaskilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaskilowatt View Post
Replacing the grille is something that has a lot of potential problems the first time. You can watch videos and read directions but it isn't the same as actually doing it and experiencing what it feels like. I hope things work out for you. Let us know.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The first time I did it, I couldn't look. Just the loud POP noise sent shivers up my spine lol. I didn't break anything that time or the other 38754375845 times but I guess I got lucky.

As for the paint, did you buy your car used? That might be a sign it's be re-painted due to damage.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

My car is brand new, which is why I'm not happy about. Never been hit, had it for three months now.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:01 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I took it to the dealer and they said best they could do is to touch it up, which u figured. This is something I would normally do, but I'll leave paint issues to the professionals. They explained that their process for touching up paint yields a flawless re-touch and can't even tell if it's been touched up, I'll be the judge of that. Won't cost me a penny either. I'm really thinking now that I caused this by taking the bumper off, and it rubbed while putting it back together and I wasn't paying enough attention.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I took it to the dealer and they said best they could do is to touch it up, which u figured. This is something I would normally do, but I'll leave paint issues to the professionals. They explained that their process for touching up paint yields a flawless re-touch and can't even tell if it's been touched up, I'll be the judge of that. Won't cost me a penny either. I'm really thinking now that I caused this by taking the bumper off, and it rubbed while putting it back together and I wasn't paying enough attention.
Thumbs. Glad to hear it won't cost you anything.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:00 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

However, they wont touch up the few rock chips I have on the bumper though... Can't win.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang