My second 02 sensor gone bad in less than a year - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
My second 02 sensor gone bad in less than a year

Does anybody here have the same issues with their BBK long tune headers. Today while driving home on the open highway my check engine light popped on. Being that there was NO black or white smoke coming from engine bay and my temperature guage was normal temp , I figured it couldn't be that bad. Ha ha ha.

Once I arrived home I plugged my SCT tuner into the port and it read the check engine light. Too my surprise the following code appeared:

P219B. The description of this code read Bank 2 Air fuel ratio imbalance. Now, this code was all too familiar because just 10 months ago I had the very same code and check engine light. My drivers side, front 02 sensor went bad 10 months ago so I ordered a new 02 sensor from American Muscle which once installed the then 02 sensor issue was fixed.

Now 10 months later , the new 02 sensor went bad. I scratched my semi bald head and said how the f could this new sensor go bad after just 10 months and I don't even track or drag race my pony.

Please keep in mind I have BBK LONG TUBE HEADERS. No way the tune is bad so something keeps causing the 02 sensor to go bad. After calling MPT along with Bama I was told this short 02 life is not an uncommon issue when people have BBK Long tube headers. Because the 02 sensor is extended, this causes issues with the 02 sensor going bad fast with long tube headers.

Anyone here that has BBK long tubes or really any brand of long tubes experience 02 sensors keep crapping out?

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I don't have headers, but are the extensions spliced in or plug n play?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
I don't have headers, but are the extensions spliced in or plug n play?

Plug and play. Unscrew both sides and screw new one back in. Plug and done. Lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
What brand O2 sonsors are being sold by AM? Maybe they are an off brand? Maybe a bad batch was received by them from a supplier?

Try one from your local Ford dealer.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
What brand O2 sonsors are being sold by AM? Maybe they are an off brand? Maybe a bad batch was received by them from a supplier?

Try one from your local Ford dealer.

AM carries the following brand. Funny you mention about trying one from my local Ford dealership. Bama rep told me the very same thing. From what Bama and MPT said they see this issue with the BBK headers having the 02 sensor go bad often.

Spending 100 bucks yearly on new 02 sensor sucks if that's the case. Before I order another 02 sensor I'm gonna flip flop the 02 sensors. Funny how both times have been bank 2 which is the front drivers side and not bank 1 front passenger side.

I'm gonna take the bank 2 and move it over to bank 1 and bank 1 over to drivers side. This way the issue should move over and Bank 1 will get the code. In theory if its truly the 02 sensor took a dump. My guess its the 02 sensor gone bad again because if the long tubes were put on incorrectly why would the 02 sensor last for 10-11 months?

My buddy who did the headers install assures me the headers was and is installed correctly.

http://m.americanmuscle.com/ntk-o2-sensor-24387.html

Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry forgot this for ya. Lol

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403178124225.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	159559  
Old 06-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
that's strange!
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
that's strange!
Figured out the issue on why the 02 sensor went bad. It went bad because its a faulty 02 sensor that came from factory with a bad seal. There was water all inside the 02 sensor plug that's carrying water into the harness.

NTK had a bad seal which is letting water into the sensor which is causing the engine throw codes. I'll just hit up AM and have them send me another 02 sensor and send back the faulty one. AM will get me squared away with a good 02 sensor because there awesome.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #9
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Figured out the issue on why the 02 sensor went bad. It went bad because its a faulty 02 sensor that came from factory with a bad seal. There was water all inside the 02 sensor plug that's carrying water into the harness.

NTK had a bad seal which is letting water into the sensor which is causing the engine throw codes. I'll just hit up AM and have them send me another 02 sensor and send back the faulty one. AM will get me squared away with a good 02 sensor because there awesome.

2011 Kona,

Sorry to hear about the trouble but shoot our customer service team a call at 1.866.727.1266 and we'll get you set up right now!

-Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
2011 Kona,

Sorry to hear about the trouble but shoot our customer service team a call at 1.866.727.1266 and we'll get you set up right now!

-Alex
Alex, thanks bro. Stuff happens and love AM. Been with you guys for 3 1/2 plus years and continue with the best. . I'll call now!

Old 06-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Alex, thanks bro. Stuff happens and love AM. Been with you guys for 3 1/2 plus years and continue with the best. . I'll call now!

Anytime! We're always here to help out no matter what so don't hesitate to let me know if there's anything I need to hear about!

Shoot me a PM if anything comes up!

-Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Does anybody here have the same issues with their BBK long tune headers. Today while driving home on the open highway my check engine light popped on. Being that there was NO black or white smoke coming from engine bay and my temperature guage was normal temp , I figured it couldn't be that bad. Ha ha ha.

Once I arrived home I plugged my SCT tuner into the port and it read the check engine light. Too my surprise the following code appeared:

P219B. The description of this code read Bank 2 Air fuel ratio imbalance. Now, this code was all too familiar because just 10 months ago I had the very same code and check engine light. My drivers side, front 02 sensor went bad 10 months ago so I ordered a new 02 sensor from American Muscle which once installed the then 02 sensor issue was fixed.

Now 10 months later , the new 02 sensor went bad. I scratched my semi bald head and said how the f could this new sensor go bad after just 10 months and I don't even track or drag race my pony.

Please keep in mind I have BBK LONG TUBE HEADERS. No way the tune is bad so something keeps causing the 02 sensor to go bad. After calling MPT along with Bama I was told this short 02 life is not an uncommon issue when people have BBK Long tube headers. Because the 02 sensor is extended, this causes issues with the 02 sensor going bad fast with long tube headers.

Anyone here that has BBK long tubes or really any brand of long tubes experience 02 sensors keep crapping out?

I've read about this issue on several forums. Yes the water you found is one but the drop in amps/voltage cause them to fail with the extensions.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I called AM and as always their top notch customer service. Tyler was the rep and he was great a seemed sympathetic to my little predicament. HTK only comes with a 60 day warranty from factory defects which is far, far over my purchase time. Lol. Tyler did feel bad and offered to hook me up with a new 02 sensor for a discounted price or suggested that I take the faulty seal up with the manufacture.

Makes sense because its not like AM manufactured a faulty 02 sensor seal, that's HTK. I called HTK and based on my conversation the 60 day warranty is long up but, HTK was willing to have me mail then the 02 sensor. They would examine it and if they found it to be faulty , they MAY send me a new one. Key word is may and dude didn't guarantee they would.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
I've read about this issue on several forums. Yes the water you found is one but the drop in amps/voltage cause them to fail with the extensions.
Any fix because of the extensions? How do I fix this issue?

Old 06-19-2014, 01:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Not sure if one will every surface unless its a DIY. The headers are technically and I'm quoting track use only. So if you convert your everyday driving miles into trips to the track on a trailer miles it would take several years of quarter mile passes to balance them out if that's even possible
Old 06-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not sure if one will every surface unless its a DIY. The headers are technically and I'm quoting track use only. So if you convert your everyday driving miles into trips to the track on a trailer miles it would take several years of quarter mile passes to balance them out if that's even possible
I always thought Long tube headers were not track use only. I thought a off road x pipe was marked for track use. What do I know. Ha ha ha

Old 06-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe WhoDat will chime in. He has the Borla headers and the o2 sensor is on the header tube. I haven't heard of any issues with the Borlas.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Maybe WhoDat will chime in. He has the Borla headers and the o2 sensor is on the header tube. I haven't heard of any issues with the Borlas.
That would be great. It would be nice if the extensions were fixed so the long tubes on the 3.7 would not drop surge and cause issues with the 02 sensors going bad.

As far as water getting in, that's the seal to the 02 sensor all the way. Funny thing is I have driven the car today about 100 miles after the 02 sensor was taken off, drain the water out, dried off and no check engine light yet has come on. Key word, yet. Ha ha ha

Old 06-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #19
Site Sponsor

Quote:
I called AM and as always their top notch customer service. Tyler was the rep and he was great a seemed sympathetic to my little predicament. HTK only comes with a 60 day warranty from factory defects which is far, far over my purchase time. Lol. Tyler did feel bad and offered to hook me up with a new 02 sensor for a discounted price or suggested that I take the faulty seal up with the manufacture.

Makes sense because its not like AM manufactured a faulty 02 sensor seal, that's HTK. I called HTK and based on my conversation the 60 day warranty is long up but, HTK was willing to have me mail then the 02 sensor. They would examine it and if they found it to be faulty , they MAY send me a new one. Key word is may and dude didn't guarantee they would.

Hey-Sorry to hear about that! We'll need to stick within our vendors wishes in regards to warranty claims and issues. Either way if they're pushing back at all in the next few weeks shoot me a PM and I'll see if I'm able intervene on your behalf!

-Alex

Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 06-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'd take the advice of the Bama rep, who was saying, in a very diplomatic way, "The 02 sensors that American Muscle sold you are garbage, go get the correct ones from Motocraft".

When it comes to sensors, you should always use Motorcraft to minimize the chances of experiencing the type of problem which you encountered.
Rockauto probably has them...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Alex, thanks bro. I completely understand and Tyler was super nice. I agreed it really made sense to take up the issue with the manufacture directly being that they made it. If the seal is and was faulty, that's on the manufacture.

I will say that I'm not sure I will purchase any more HTK 02 sensors in the future and may look at other manufactures of 02 sensors. I looked on AM's web site and unless I'm missing something I didn't you guys selling Fords OEM 02 sensors.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I'd take the advice of the Bama rep, who was saying, in a very diplomatic way, "The 02 sensors that American Muscle sold you are garbage, go get the correct ones from Motocraft".

When it comes to sensors, you should always use Motorcraft to minimize the chances of experiencing the type of problem which you encountered.
Rockauto probably has them...
Omg lmfao! Ha ha ha! I'm not sure if the rep was saying the HTK 02 sensors they sell are complete garbage but he did say I might want to try ordering the Ford 02 sensor.

CJ pony parts is selling the Fords OEM front 02 sensor for 84.00 dollars. I always buy my parts from AM but I didn't see them selling Fords 02 sensor. I think AM only carries HTK 02 sensors but maybe I'm wrong.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Could be the extensions too. Bbk will send them out. I sold my old car bur I hate that code. Came back with new sensors after a week. I know the guy who bought it and he hasn't had any issues since the new extensions.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20 View Post
Could be the extensions too. Bbk will send them out. I sold my old car bur I hate that code. Came back with new sensors after a week. I know the guy who bought it and he hasn't had any issues since the new extensions.
Great point. Never thought of that.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I also have long tubes and my two fronts went out
SouthFLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFLV6 View Post
I also have long tubes and my two fronts went out
Were they both on the drivers side ?

Old 06-20-2014, 10:59 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Were they both on the drivers side ?

No, both sensor 1, bank 1 and 2, closest to the engine.
SouthFLV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:04 PM   #28

Region: Kentucky
I am sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was wondering if you ever got your car fixed? After installing BBK long tubes w/ off road x-pipe, my car has been having similar issues. At first I thought it was just needing a tune, but after I called bama and installed the new tune, my car is still showing the P219B code. My car idles real rough and my RPMs drop at random whenever I push in my clutch to come to a rolling stop. A few weeks ago when I came to a stop at a red light, my car died on me... :/ After searching on google, I could not find anything so I decided to finally make an account and search on here. I have contacted both AM and Bama about it when I first noticed the issue and they said most likely there was a leak somewhere. I had a mechanic look my exhaust over and he said he couldn't find a leak anywhere. After reading about the issue you have been having, I now know for a fact that it is either my O2 sensors or the extenders.
lcouch94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Check the 02 extension. I have the same issue...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1413351866240.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	167850  
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Perhaps there's a better one? (Not from bbk)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Soon: Procharger & NOS
dubaighost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You guys should not be using extensions. There is enough slack in the stock harness to reach your o2's. It just needs to be released on top of the transmission.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcouch94 View Post
I am sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was wondering if you ever got your car fixed? After installing BBK long tubes w/ off road x-pipe, my car has been having similar issues. At first I thought it was just needing a tune, but after I called bama and installed the new tune, my car is still showing the P219B code. My car idles real rough and my RPMs drop at random whenever I push in my clutch to come to a rolling stop. A few weeks ago when I came to a stop at a red light, my car died on me... :/ After searching on google, I could not find anything so I decided to finally make an account and search on here. I have contacted both AM and Bama about it when I first noticed the issue and they said most likely there was a leak somewhere. I had a mechanic look my exhaust over and he said he couldn't find a leak anywhere. After reading about the issue you have been having, I now know for a fact that it is either my O2 sensors or the extenders.
First, welcome to the forum. I love old threads and yes I got the issue with my BBK extender taken care of but an unusual welcome to cars. Lol. I called BBK, explaned the situation and they mailed me out a new extender. Dealing with BBK was great and the customer reps were super nice. While waiting for the new extender I disconnected my old one off and they looked okay. I blew on the both ends of the extender as if I have some magical fairly dust and reconnected the extender.

I cleared the code and problem solved for me. Haven't gotten a check engine light since. Really odd. Lol. Your idle surging issue is common on the 3.7 when using BBK long tube headers. Been there done that although my surging issue never caused my call too stall and would only occur when the car was in park and idle. You need the tuning company to turn your idle setting up more to help solve that issue with the surging.

I have spoken directly to BBK about this surging issue and its just a side effect for the 3.7 but can be greatly reduced or stopped by turning the idle up in the tune.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcouch94 View Post
First, welcome to the forum. I love old threads and yes I got the issue with my BBK extender taken care of but an unusual welcome to cars. Lol. I called BBK, explaned the situation and they mailed me out a new extender. Dealing with BBK was great and the customer reps were super nice. While waiting for the new extender I disconnected my old one off and they looked okay. I blew on the both ends of the extender as if I have some magical fairly dust and reconnected the extender.

I cleared the code and problem solved for me. Haven't gotten a check engine light since. Really odd. Lol. Your idle surging issue is common on the 3.7 when using BBK long tube headers. Been there done that although my surging issue never caused my call too stall and would only occur when the car was in park and idle. You need the tuning company to turn your idle setting up more to help solve that issue with the surging.

I have spoken directly to BBK about this surging issue and its just a side effect for the 3.7 but can be greatly reduced or stopped by turning the idle up in the tune.

The Mustang Source Website is complete trash and the moderators are complete toolbags. TMS, Go F yourselves!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Yeah my extension was acting up before I put in the catless x pipe and shut them off.

It would randomly give me a CEL and then go away in a couplenof days on its own. Strange little buggers.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:08 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Hey Kona, if you had purchased a 3.7 instead of that 227, you wouldn't be having all of these problems.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

« Headers | Swerving »