Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Paint bubbling

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  jomcgui 
#1 · (Edited)
So today I noticed a nice sized paint bubble on the right lip of my hood. It's starting to crack. Inspected unfer the hood and there are numerous bubbles. After some research I found out that this is very common in our cars because of poor painting by Ford (aluminum hoods don't hold a paint bond well). Brought it to the dealer and I have an appointment Tuesday, they said they will probably send it to the body shop immediately. Thank god I am still under the 3 year warranty ( 6 months left ). People, CHECK UNDER YOUR HOODS AND ON THE HOOD LIP. It can save you hundreds of dollars if you get it fixed NOW before your warranty is up. Any paint bubbles anywhere on the car are under warranty and Ford will fix!!!
A few questions I have :
1. I have aftermarket vinyl stripes on my hood. The service manager said we will see what to do about them. Does this mean I will be reimbursed in any way or they will stripe it for me?
2. Will I need to provide receipts for the cost of the aftermarket vinyl work and the cost of the vinyl?
3. The cost of stripping + sanding + repainting the hood is probably the same as a new hood. Could I just ask for a new hood? ( GT :D )

#4 ·
3. The cost of stripping + sanding + repainting the hood is probably the same as a new hood. Could I just ask for a new hood? ( GT :D )
I thinks the cost of a new hood is like $1500. I had the same problem on my 08 (out of warranty). The body shop told me to do it right they needed to replace the hood to ensure it would not come back ( total $2300).

#10 ·
Oh god plz dont tell me our paint sucks. I had a 2002 honda accord coupe for 9 years and one of the biggest reasons i ended up selling it and upgrading to mustang is because the paint job was really bad. Everyone knows honda paint sucks...

Carmax wanted 800 to paint it but car was only worht like 3000 so wasnt worth it.

I am hoping to keep my mustang for a while.

#15 ·
if you get a new hood, I would say it would do the same thing as it would just be as hood exactly like what was on it. I noticed I had a spot on mine where your guys is but its down to the metal. Maybe the bubbled fell apart, I am going to go inspect mine.

#17 ·
UPDATE: Ford has informed me that they will be re-painting my hood. Not sure whether the problem will persist or not, but since I am under warranty for 6 more months this will extend the warranty concerning the hood paint, so if it comes back I will hopefully get a new hood.

#22 ·
It's something that you would have to work out with the body shop ....
If you buy your own aftermarket hood maybe they would paint that instead.
It all comes down to how bad the bubbling is or not, as they try to avoid stripping and repainting the entire hood and just do the section if they can.
It really comes down to that and the body shop and what you can work out. It has to first be approved by Ford to be fixed, then when you set up an apptmnt with whichever body shop your dealership sends you too, ask then

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#24 ·
Corrosion warranties are usually the thing the finance people try to add into your contract. 99% of people don't use them, so it's normally just all profit for the dealer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#26 ·
7 year? Unless you bought the extended warranty or something, bumper to bumper is 3 and power train is 5.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#28 ·
I was referring just to what comes with car.
Transmissions6-Speed Manual, standard
6-Speed SelectShift® Automatic with Paddle Shifters, optional
Wheelbase107.1"
Wheels Available17" sparkle silver painted aluminum (standard on V6 and EcoBoost®)
18" Foundry Black painted aluminum (optional on V6, EcoBoost®, EcoBoost® Premium, GT and GT Premium)
18" Magnetic painted/machined aluminum (standard on EcoBoost® Premium, GT and GT Premium)
19" Ebony Black painted aluminum (included in GT Performance Package on GT and GT Premium)
19" Luster Nickel painted aluminum (included in 50 Years Appearance Package on EcoBoost® Premium and GT Premium)
19" Ebony Black premium painted aluminum (included in EcoBoost® Performance Package on EcoBoost® and EcoBoost® Premium)
19" Dark Stainless premium painted aluminum (optional on GT Premium)
19" Low-Gloss Black painted/machined aluminum (included in Wheel & Stripe Package on EcoBoost®)
20" Foundry Black painted/machined aluminum (optional on EcoBoost® Premium and GT Premium)
WarrantyBumper to Bumper: 3 years / 36,000 miles
Powertrain: 5 years / 60,000 miles
Safety Restraint System: 5 years / 60,000 miles
Corrosion (Perforation only): 5 years / Unlimited miles
Roadside Assistance Program: 5 years / 60,000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.