Steeda CAI and tune - results - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #36
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Steeda CAI and tune - results

Damn ish. I was expecting a pic of your Z28 as the background......

Damn

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Damn ish. I was expecting a pic of your Z28 as the background......

Damn
Hahaha ... She is better looking than the Z28.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Well another update...

So, I downloaded and installed the new 93 octane tune, it runs absolutely horribly if you go past anything more than 1/4 throttle. Also, the car will randomly stall while idling, which must be one of the new fuel saving features.

I also have a new check engine light feature that just showed up...

Using the X4 tuner, I pulled the code and got a P0605, Internal Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error code. I tried clearing the code and keep getting it, I also tried the 89 octane tune, same error and the car still runs horribly. Also loaded the stock tune, again same issue.

So in the quest to make my car run better, I have managed the absolute opposite.

I am quickly losing faith in this car and with Steeda and SCT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Have you tried calling them and see if they can walk you thru it?

Dude that sucks sorry to hear all of this.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Have you tried calling them and see if they can walk you thru it?

Dude that sucks sorry to hear all of this.
I haven't had a chance yet. I sent the Steeda tune guy an email stating what has happened. Just waiting on a response. If it requires a phone call, well I will have to make time.

It's always the little simple things that I get F'd over with. I could just about cam swap an LSx with my eyes closed and have everything work out perfect.

I can troubleshoot Active Directory issues on a Windows domain over the phone from over 5,000 miles away and everything works.

I somehow fail doing a simple tune. WTF.. luck of the Irish I suppose..
Old 07-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
*cough* MPT *cough* I didn't even need to datalog my MPT tune, it runs perfect. I had a couple issus with my bama tunes though
2013 DIB 3.7-Pypes Pype Bomb black axlebacks, BBK shorty headers, Bama & MPT tunes, Steeda Ultralite Springs, J&M steel adj. panhard, Roush hood scoop, Street scene Gen 2 chin spoiler painted to match, Custom billet grille, painted side mirror covers, 20" gloss black AMR wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos.

Follow me on instagram @that_deep_impact
Deep_Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I was afraid when Gus left there might be problems. Hope everything works out because I need to get them to work on my 93 tune.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
You should definitely notice at least a much more aggressive throttle response with the Steeda tune. That's also a very nice background.

Gus left? F***.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah Gus left and they have been a little backed up.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
Old 07-02-2014, 11:12 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Hello,

Even though Gus is gone ... we still have great tuners in place. In fact, the gentlemen that trained our tuners, including Gus, is still actively involved in our tuning program.

Ish 416 ... please email me at tim@steeda.com & I will make sure your tune is put at the top as a priority.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Hello,

Even though Gus is gone ... we still have great tuners in place. In fact, the gentlemen that trained our tuners, including Gus, is still actively involved in our tuning program.

Ish 416 ... please email me at tim@steeda.com & I will make sure your tune is put at the top as a priority.

Best Regards,

TJ
TJ, I have been in continuous contact with Matt.

I have to admit, at this point I am quickly losing faith in Steeda's ability to properly resolve my issue.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Let me chat with Matt & see where the issue is taking place.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 07-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Always good to see a vendor chime in......now let's see if the problem gets solved.

Good luck Ish.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
It seems that a lot of people have been posting about tune problems... much more than in the past few months. Is it because it's summer now and people are tuning a lot more, and they are backed up? I have seen a few bama problem threads started as well. Either way, it is all very interesting and I have learned a lot from these threads for when I eventually tune (once warranty is up). I hope your tune problem gets fixed Ish, sorry this happened to you.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

We haven't had too many tune problems to date ... a forum search can indicate that. Not every car tunes accordingly to plan ... for whatever reason ... some cars have issues & so do the devices. Most of the time, they are minor fixes that take a couple sessions to resolve.

With new people in place ... there is definitely a learning curve & with more cars warranties coming to an end, more & more people are tuning.

We will get his problem figured out.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

I spoke to Matt & the other tuners ... they are diligently working on your tune. They are looking at several different options as to why they can't get it dialed in.

You are in good hands ... we appreciate your patience as we try to determine the fix with your tune.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 07-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I spoke to Matt & the other tuners ... they are diligently working on your tune. They are looking at several different options as to why they can't get it dialed in.

You are in good hands ... we appreciate your patience as we try to determine the fix with your tune.

Best Regards,

TJ
Awesome, thanks TJ.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:13 PM   #53
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
Hahaha ... She is better looking than the Z28.

You got that right!

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Another update...

Matt from Steeda sent me a third tune yesterday evening and I think this one is a winner. The car even on startup sounds different, it idles different, no check engine light, throttle response is much, much better and the best part is, the car actually pulls noticeably better than it ever has.

Here is a link to the video I just uploaded of the car doing the same exact 3rd gear pull, at the same location, with as close to possible of the same DA.

Using the same method of testing as last time, 3rd gear from 40 - 60, 40 - 80 and 40 - 100.

Stock and with the first Steeda 93 octane tune, the car went from 40 - 60 in 5 seconds, 40 - 80 in 10 seconds and 40 - 100 in 16 seconds.

With this new tune, the car manages 40 - 60 in a little over 4 seconds, 40 - 80 in a little under 9 seconds and 40 - 100 in just under 14 seconds.

So, the car dropped roughly 1 second from 40 - 60, 1.5 seconds from 40 - 80 and just over 2 seconds 40 - 100.

Bravo to the guys at Steeda, it was a bit rough but they came through in the end.

I will be updating the video tomorrow at work for a more direct comparison.

Since you guys seem to like the background on my laptop, here is the actual picture ...

Old 07-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Man, at least your X4 can upload tunes lol.
I just got mine Thursday, and its a plastic brick :,(
Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
...The car even on startup sounds different, it idles different...
Alright, at first I thought I was "just hearing things" when I installed my Steeda tune and thought my exhaust sounded different on startup, idle, and through the power band. Guess its just the tune at work.

Glad they finally got it working for you!
Old 07-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin1337 View Post
Man, at least your X4 can upload tunes lol.
I just got mine Thursday, and its a plastic brick :,(
Connect the X4 to a laptop or computer, then select Device Settings, then select WiFi, connect it to a wireless network, then once connected, back in the Device Settings, select Check Updates. The first time mine updated it took about 30 minutes, I do have slow interwebs at home, so it may take less time.

Then once that is done, you may need to download the SCT software. You will need SCTDeviceUpdater and LiveLink Gen 2.

They can both be found here - SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!

Once both of those are installed, you should be able to use the SCT Device Updater software to add/remove tunes.

To do that, open the SCT Device Updater software, then under Basic Operations, click the Load Custom Tune File, then (you will need your tune files on the desktop) click on Locate Custom Tunes in the upper right of the window. The tune files should then appear in the Available Tunes list. Simply select one and click add to device, then click on the Program button beneath the On Device list. Do this for each tune you want.

Then once it's programmed and the tunes have transferred over, disconnect your X4 from your computer, then take it to the car. Plug it in, turn your key to ON, "do not start the engine!", select Program Vehicle, load the stock tune (assuming you already have a tune on it), then once the stock tune has been uploaded, remove the key from the ignition, then do it all over again except this time, select your tune file from the list of available tunes. That should be it. Unless of course, your X4 actually doesn't work.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Ish416,

Glad we were able to get it resolved. Unfortunately, some of these cars takes longer to tune than others ... once again, thank you for your patience & feedback.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 07-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
This was a very helpful thread and an interesting read. Thanks for sharing detailed updates as you went along. I'll keep this saved for reference when I'm looking to tune after my warranty expires.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Connect the X4 to a laptop or computer, then select Device Settings, then select WiFi, connect it to a wireless network, then once connected, back in the Device Settings, select Check Updates. The first time mine updated it took about 30 minutes, I do have slow interwebs at home, so it may take less time.

Then once that is done, you may need to download the SCT software. You will need SCTDeviceUpdater and LiveLink Gen 2.

They can both be found here - SCT Performance - More Power! Less Fuel!

Once both of those are installed, you should be able to use the SCT Device Updater software to add/remove tunes.

To do that, open the SCT Device Updater software, then under Basic Operations, click the Load Custom Tune File, then (you will need your tune files on the desktop) click on Locate Custom Tunes in the upper right of the window. The tune files should then appear in the Available Tunes list. Simply select one and click add to device, then click on the Program button beneath the On Device list. Do this for each tune you want.

Then once it's programmed and the tunes have transferred over, disconnect your X4 from your computer, then take it to the car. Plug it in, turn your key to ON, "do not start the engine!", select Program Vehicle, load the stock tune (assuming you already have a tune on it), then once the stock tune has been uploaded, remove the key from the ignition, then do it all over again except this time, select your tune file from the list of available tunes. That should be it. Unless of course, your X4 actually doesn't work.
I literally can't update this thing no matter what I try. I've literally done everything.
The first time I tried on my buddies laptop (win 7) the update got to 340/340 then said update failed. Tried connecting to WiFi, update failed. Tried again on the updater, crashes literally every time I try to do an automatic update.

Tried on my computer (win8) SCT updater will not recognize the device, says it failed to install drivers.

Also won't recognize my car. I even tried a factory reset on it.

Sorry to thread jack, but I did buy this from steeda and since they're posting on this thread, maybe they can help me.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:40 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Have you contacted SCT regarding your issues? It may be a software issue with the device. It would be best to call them / email them & inform them of your issues.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 07-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Have you contacted SCT regarding your issues? It may be a software issue with the device. It would be best to call them / email them & inform them of your issues.

Best Regards,

TJ
Yep, emailed both SCT and you guys.
Haven't heard anything yet, but I'm sure its because of the long weekend
Old 07-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Another update...

Matt from Steeda sent me a third tune yesterday evening and I think this one is a winner. The car even on startup sounds different, it idles different, no check engine light, throttle response is much, much better and the best part is, the car actually pulls noticeably better than it ever has.

Here is a link to the video I just uploaded of the car doing the same exact 3rd gear pull, at the same location, with as close to possible of the same DA.

Using the same method of testing as last time, 3rd gear from 40 - 60, 40 - 80 and 40 - 100.

Stock and with the first Steeda 93 octane tune, the car went from 40 - 60 in 5 seconds, 40 - 80 in 10 seconds and 40 - 100 in 16 seconds.

With this new tune, the car manages 40 - 60 in a little over 4 seconds, 40 - 80 in a little under 9 seconds and 40 - 100 in just under 14 seconds.

So, the car dropped roughly 1 second from 40 - 60, 1.5 seconds from 40 - 80 and just over 2 seconds 40 - 100.

Bravo to the guys at Steeda, it was a bit rough but they came through in the end.

I will be updating the video tomorrow at work for a more direct comparison.

Since you guys seem to like the background on my laptop, here is the actual picture ...

Glad you got everything ironed out. Like your approach to evaluating tune performance. Check out the shareware called VirtualDyno. If you datalog your 3rd gear pull it will generate fairly accurate dyno graphs (need level road, and enter vehicle data to calculate)
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:32 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Glad you got everything ironed out. Like your approach to evaluating tune performance. Check out the shareware called VirtualDyno. If you datalog your 3rd gear pull it will generate fairly accurate dyno graphs (need level road, and enter vehicle data to calculate)
Interesting.. I will try another pull with data logging and see what kind of data VirtualDyno will show.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Another update...

I have removed the old youtube videos and created a new one. It shows the car stock, with the original tune and with the current revised tune and the time differences in 3rd gear from 40 - 60, 40 - 80 and 40 - 100. At the end of the video is also a 6th to 2nd to 3rd pull from 60 - 110.

Thanks to Otis for the heads up on VirtualDyno, here are the results for it.

I was expecting around 280rwhp, still this isn't actually a dyno and they claim within 5% accuracy. So, with that 5%, it could be 280 rwhp.

Assuming everything works out today, I will be headed to drag strip later this evening for some real numbers.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

5% is pretty big you could be up or down almost 15 HP/TQ in either direction. I'm hoping it's 280/260 for you! Have a fun time at the drag strip and I hope the numbers are positive in your favor. 275-280/260 would be nice from the tune and CAI.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
5% is pretty big you could be up or down almost 15 HP/TQ in either direction. I'm hoping it's 280/260 for you! Have a fun time at the drag strip and I hope the numbers are positive in your favor. 275-280/260 would be nice from the tune and CAI.
The 280rwhp is assuming the manual trans puts down 255 - 260 stock, which I have read that it does, otherwise these numbers are kind of meaningless.

Maybe in the near future I will re-install the stock airbox and tune for a baseline.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

After some googling I found this from MotorTrend

Mustang Power! We Dyno the 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 V-8 and 3.7 V-6

These numbers seem a little too high and I am not sure about the dyno they used... shouldn't they be making the same numbers in 3rd and 4th, not different? Not my area of expertise so I'm not really sure. However, they said a 15% loss to the wheels is to be expected, as I have always been told 10-25% so that sounds about right. I have also seen that MotorTrend has some amazing numbers for the 3.7 Mustang compared to others, for ex. their 0-60 was 5.1.
I also have an auto so I don't know what my rwhp would be.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

In for some 1320 testing.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
After some googling I found this from MotorTrend

Mustang Power! We Dyno the 2011 Ford Mustang 5.0 V-8 and 3.7 V-6

These numbers seem a little too high and I am not sure about the dyno they used... shouldn't they be making the same numbers in 3rd and 4th, not different? Not my area of expertise so I'm not really sure. However, they said a 15% loss to the wheels is to be expected, as I have always been told 10-25% so that sounds about right. I have also seen that MotorTrend has some amazing numbers for the 3.7 Mustang compared to others, for ex. their 0-60 was 5.1.
I also have an auto so I don't know what my rwhp would be.
Typically you want to dyno in as close a gear to 1:1 as possible. I wasn't able to do this as I have 2.73's and 3rd gear will do 130 (5th in the MT82 is 1:1). So I used 3rd. The runway I ran down was only .8 mile and once I got into the redline I had just went past the half-mile marker. Also, I'm not sure I trust the driveshaft at those speeds.

When running a car on a dyno, generally the higher the gear, the more power the car will report it's putting down (until you get into overdrive gears). This is especially true on forced induction cars.

I'm honestly not entirely sure why this is. I figure it has something to do with acceleration over time.

One thing I forgot to add was that I'm not sure if this program figures out aero drag as well. If it doesn't that could easily lead to larger numbers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai