Steeda CAI and tune - results - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Steeda CAI and tune - results

Well, after putting it off, I finally modded the Mustang.

I bought a Steeda CAI and X4 tuner loaded with 89 and 93 octane tunes.

Specs on my car -

2014 Mustang 3.7, MT82, 2.73, MCA package and glass roof. Car has 10,xxx miles on it currently with a lifetime average of 24.6 MPG (remove winter warm ups and average would likely be 26 MPG) and 93 octane since it's first fill up.

After reading from practically everyone that has put a tune on their 3.7, I expected a noticeable difference.

Here is what's advertised, just look at those torques!! -

Here it is in my experience-

Both runs were at the same location, running the same way and within 30 minutes of each other.

The tune is functional as I tried the tune without the CAI (CAI was back ordered for 2 weeks) and would almost immediately get a check engine light from running rich. With the CAI, I do not get this warning and the A/F ratios have changed back to normal.

Needless to say, besides the noise, I noticed absolutely no difference.

Do I need to datalog and send that in or is this how the manual trans cars actually perform?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
i haven't put mine on a dyno, but i have the Steeda CAI with SCT tuner (running 93octane tune from Steeda), with Roush axlebacks and i def noticed a very nice increase in torque. i would honestly believe in that dyno chart.... i have a 2013 3.7 manual....

i would def have the tune double checked...

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I would deff have the tune checked. That's slow even for stock. My automatic with no tune is faster than that. You should really feel a noticeable difference with a tune and CAI.
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Besides looking and sounding nice a CAI is pretty useless for performance.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Both accelerations seem extremely slow, I wasn't even sure you were flooring it at first I was waiting for you to hit it and it to take off. When you think about it, your car did 40-60 in 5 seconds. Stock these cars do 0-60 in about 6 seconds. Something definitely doesn't seem right.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Both accelerations seem extremely slow, I wasn't even sure you were flooring it at first I was waiting for you to hit it and it to take off. When you think about it, your car did 40-60 in 5 seconds. Stock these cars do 0-60 in about 6 seconds. Something definitely doesn't seem right.
I agree with you, something isn't right! Op what's your rpm at the beginning of your pull?

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Just for comparison, here is my 0-60 with just bama 93 tune, steeda intake and 2.73 gears. Auto tranny.
Attached Files
Old 06-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Just for comparison, here is my 0-60 with just bama 93 tune, steeda intake and 2.73 gears. Auto tranny.
What's your 0-60 time? Looks like its 5.1/5.2 - 5.5. Nice time!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
What's your 0-60 time? Looks like its 5.1/5.2 - 5.5. Nice time!
Thanks! Not sure.. but its faster now with my MPT tune
Old 06-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It was a third gear pull. Meaning, I put the car into 3rd and floored it from a low rpm.

Had I been going through the gears, it would have been much, much faster.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Uhh... then... why don't you go through the gears? I'm confused. You're complaining it goes so slow but you're not going through the gears? What do you think was gonna happen? If you want it faster than go through the gears. I'm just not understanding what you're saying. Obviously it will be slower. The tune has nothing to do with that.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
You didn't mention who you were tuned by (I'm assuming Steeda?). If I remember correctly Bama and Steeda were on the conservative side as far as power as opposed to MPT and Lund on the other end of the spectrum, but you should still get more than that out of it.

I'm trying an MPT tune soon to see if there's any difference between that and my current Bama.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Uhh... then... why don't you go through the gears? I'm confused. You're complaining it goes so slow but you're not going through the gears? What do you think was gonna happen? If you want it faster than go through the gears. I'm just not understanding what you're saying. Obviously it will be slower. The tune has nothing to do with that.
If the tune were to make it's claimed power difference, then the acceleration times would be different in a single gear pull, exactly like what would happen on a dyno.

You are taking a known mass (the car) and accelerating it to a certain speed (from 40 - 100 mph). If the car makes more power then the acceleration will be faster, which in this case, neither the tune nor the intake seem to make a single bit of difference. That is what I am showing.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Steeda CAI and tune - results

The gearing does hold it back a lot, and V6s aren't exactly known for their torque. Did you try a pull in just 2nd gear?

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Soooo, the rational i think thats behind this is that the op thought that, similar to a dyno pull being left in gear, there would be a change noticeable to that of the curve. Unfortunately thats not how it works as most of the power gained is around the 3k+ range. Running through the gears will put you in to your power bands and GET you that change in power you so desire. sitting in third wont give you anything as you wont hit that power band till about 45ish. and even then the power change is minimal at that range. i say do three runs on each and average them. If then you still dont notice a difference then, check the tune.
Best of luck.
2014 Oxford tri-pedal 3.7L- Airaid CAI, BBK 73mm TB, MGW Shifter, DSS Driveshaft, Whiteline Bracket, BBK Shorties, Lethal O/R H-pipe with HighFlow Cats Installed, Vibrant Resonators, Pypes Axlebacks. Track Pack Wheels!
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Best real thing to do is a drag strip run with and without the tune. Look at the ET and MPH, when I got my tune at first I ran the same times because of driver error (I suck at drag racing), but I noticed I went up 1-2mph consistently.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
The gearing does hold it back a lot, and V6s aren't exactly known for their torque. Did you try a pull in just 2nd gear?

2nd was the same, no difference besides the noise.

My issue is that they are showing gains of 25 - 30 lb ft of torque. That is a hell of a gain, especially at low rpm where it needs it.

In my case, that torque is no different than what it was completely stock. I honestly expected at least 1 second of difference. I measured it down to the hundredth (.00) and there was a .08 difference, with stock being faster. There were no perceivable changes in the wind, the DA remained the same as did temperatures and all other factors.

Think about it, if you were to add 10% more torque to your car, do you think you would notice?
Old 06-23-2014, 05:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
2nd was the same, no difference besides the noise.

My issue is that they are showing gains of 25 - 30 lb ft of torque. That is a hell of a gain, especially at low rpm where it needs it.

In my case, that torque is no different than what it was completely stock. I honestly expected at least 1 second of difference. I measured it down to the hundredth (.00) and there was a .08 difference, with stock being faster. There were no perceivable changes in the wind, the DA remained the same as did temperatures and all other factors.

Think about it, if you were to add 10% more torque to your car, do you think you would notice?
But when you go through the gears is there a difference in your 0-60 time? There has to be of more than .08 seconds slower. You either did not tune it correct or your tune is not working.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

There is no difference at all, at least nothing you could tell without proper timing equipment, which I do not have.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is no difference at all, at least nothing you could tell without proper timing equipment, which I do not have.
Then your tune isn't working. There should be a noticeable difference. Like, really noticeable. Try reverting back to stock and then tuning again after you reset the ecu. If it's still the same, call your tune provider and they will give you a new one.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Please send me an email to tim@steeda.com. We can look into the tune & see what kind of adjustments can be made.

Did you notice any of these other items with the tune?

Our tunes will increase the throttle response of the car for quicker take-offs.
We alter the transmission shift points at part and WOT.
We alter the firmness of the shift at part and WOT
Our shift firmness is different for different throttle settings.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I think he has a manual so only the first one would apply correct?
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:13 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Please send me an email to tim@steeda.com. We can look into the tune & see what kind of adjustments can be made.

Did you notice any of these other items with the tune?

Our tunes will increase the throttle response of the car for quicker take-offs.
We alter the transmission shift points at part and WOT.
We alter the firmness of the shift at part and WOT
Our shift firmness is different for different throttle settings.

Best Regards,

TJ
I will be sending an email shortly.

As for your questions, no, the throttle response does not seem any quicker than before. Also, I know the tune is adding a bit more fuel, as I ordered my CAI and tuner and the CAI was on backorder for about 2 weeks. I loaded the 93 tune that was on my tuner just to see what difference it would make. Within 5 minutes of driving I would get a message saying that bank 1 or 2 was running rich, I also checked the A/F ratio on the wideband and noticed the car would dip down into the 10's with this tune loaded, whereas stock, I don't recall it ever being lower than high 11's. When I reloaded my cars factory tune, that went away.

After I installed the CAI and loaded the tune, I never received a message about it running rich and the wideband numbers seem to closely resemble what the numbers were when stock.

The car is a manual transmission so the last three do not apply.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm ... I thought I saw the he had an automatic. My apologies.

No change in shifting on manual with a tune ... we only change the performance, drivability & remove the lag in the drive by wire throttle system.

On the 11-up 5.0 Mustangs, we alter the ignition, fuel, and camshaft timing to deliver more HP and torque, along with improved drivability.

We can definitely take a look at his tune & see what might be taking place.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 06-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

If you installed the tune without the CAI .. you would have thrown codes since the tune with written for the CAI.

Okay ... once I get your info ... I will send to Matt & see what we can do.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 06-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I gained 5 tenths ET and 2 MPH trap from JUST a tune change from Bama to MPT same mods on the car. When the tune is right, it's right.
LiveWire003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:23 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj@steeda View Post
Hmm ... I thought I saw the he had an automatic. My apologies.

No change in shifting on manual with a tune ... we only change the performance, drivability & remove the lag in the drive by wire throttle system.

On the 11-up 5.0 Mustangs, we alter the ignition, fuel, and camshaft timing to deliver more HP and torque, along with improved drivability.

We can definitely take a look at his tune & see what might be taking place.

Best Regards,

TJ
Are the same tuning alterations done for the V6?
As in ignition?
Fuel?
Camshaft timing? Advancing and retarding?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Are the same tuning alterations done for the V6?
As in ignition?
Fuel?
Camshaft timing? Advancing and retarding?
I would assume the same from the 3.7, otherwise where would the gains come from?

I'm sure he meant to put 2011+ Mustangs.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

That's correct.

Also the drive-by-wire throttle system is refined for less delay, a more linear response and improved driveability.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 06-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Steeda makes great products and stands behind them. I have their CAI and a 500HP tune on my Roush and couldn't be happier.
Glad to see TJ getting involved. You'll get it sorted out.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Thank You, RMB.

We I received the OP's email & we are currently working out the kinks.

Best Regards,

TJ

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Thank You, RMB.

Best Regards,

TJ

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Thank You, RMB.

Best Regards,

TJ
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
Old 06-25-2014, 03:01 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

OP my original Steeda 91 tune felt stock. I datalogged per Steeda's instructions and was told by Gus (tuner at that time) the tune was still too conservative. The new datalogged tune is much more aggressive and is night and day vs the original. Datalog your tune and send it to Steeda if you haven't already.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:01 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
I would assume the same from the 3.7, otherwise where would the gains come from?

I'm sure he meant to put 2011+ Mustangs.
I hate assuming that's why.

I just wanted to make sure that they did play with the cam timing rather than just ignition timing and fuel and the drive by wire.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Update on this -

So far I have been very impressed with Steeda's customer service. They have been in contact with me several times throughout the day. Still no new or revised tune, yet.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:50 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Another update to this...

I have been sent a new tune from Steeda, when I try to load it on my X4 tuner, I am unable to.

I was able to backup the factory tune without issues.

The tuner has the latest firmware, I have the latest SCT software installed and this is as far as I can get...

The computer, tuner and software are communicating.. Here is proof of that..

I click the "Load Custom Tune File" button, then click the "Locate Custom Tunes" button. It finds two tunes, the 89 and 93 octane tunes, I select the 93 octane tune.. Same thing happens if I manually locate the tune file.

Then I get back to this screen .. with no way of doing anything besides finding the tune again or exiting.. WTF??

So, am I missing something here or are the X4 and SCT software junk?? I already know the answer about their software .. it's garbage.

I have also tried this with the tune on my car and with the factory tune on it as well, same results either way. I still have the 89 and 93 octane tunes on the tuner .. so I dunno. I am lost.

*EDIT*

I actually think I figured it out. I believe the tune file is actually called "No Description". So I went ahead and loaded each tune on the tuner, and edited the names of them. I will load it up on my way to work to see if this damned thing works...

Proof of my possible success...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai