P0151 DTC - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
P0151 DTC

Well so far this little error code has given me a hell of a time. Got it yesterday at night, it's an O2 Sensor Low voltage on Bank 2 Sensor 1 (driver's side on the header)

Checked the extensions (have LTs) and the seating of the plugs and sensors in the bungs. Everything checked out. Figured from the research I did on it, let's replace the O2 sensor.

Not a single parts store for miles had the upstream .

It was idling roughly so I needed to take care of it ASAP. So I figured, it's still under warranty, let's go there as a last resort. That's where my frustrating journey really began:

Dropped the car off at 7 a.m. with the service adviser, and he said they might still have to charge me diagnostic fees along with parts and labor. I explained that the car is still under warranty AND I had given them all the information they needed.

He finally backed off the diagnostic fees ONLY if I agreed to have them perform the service. I left it with them to "diagnose" and they were to call me before doing anything. I get a call at 11:30 a.m. that they had finally looked at it and quoted me $355.

I explained again, that the car is under Powertrain warranty, along with Federal Emissions warranty that REQUIRES them to replace the O2 sensors, cats etc if faulty. He told me I could ask Ford corporate. Which I did, and after the gentleman there confirmed I was correct but they have no direct power over the dealer, I call the dealer back.

I speak with the service manager who said he would look into it. I get a call 45 minutes later saying I was correct and they'll get started. 2:35 p.m. I call to check in on it. They said they don't have the part in until 4:00 p.m.

It's 5:12 p.m. and I'm still waiting. Missed an entire day of work because these jagoffs couldn't spend 10 minutes swapping out a sensor.

Now they say the part got held up and it will be tomorrow. Just unreal. Sorry have to vent a bit.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I also am now getting this same P0151 02 Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2, Sensor 1. What is it? Why are we getting that code? I have a 2011 3.7 and have BBK long tube headers. What is the issue and how does one fix the issue. All my connections are good. I wonder if the BBK 02 extender went bad? Any thoughts

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I also am now getting this same P0151 02 Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2, Sensor 1. What is it? Why are we getting that code? I have a 2011 3.7 and have BBK long tube headers. What is the issue and how does one fix the issue. All my connections are good. I wonder if the BBK 02 extender went bad? Any thoughts

They ended replacing the O2 Sensor. Not sure exactly what happened to it. You can always swap the working header O2 sensor with the non-working one, but more than likely you will need to replace the sensor.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
They ended replacing the O2 Sensor. Not sure exactly what happened to it. You can always swap the working header O2 sensor with the non-working one, but more than likely you will need to replace the sensor.
Funny you mention that. About 6 months ago I had to replace the front drivers side (bank 2 02 sensor). About two weeks ago, I got another check engine light. Using my SCT tuner I had received the same code as I did 6 months ago which indicated again my front drivers side 02 sensor was bad.

Keep in mind my front passenger side 02 sensor has been good to go. So deciding before I was dropping another 80 dollars on a OEM Ford front 02 sensor, I switched the 02 sensors around. I took my suspected bad front 02 sensor and installed it over to Bank 1( front drivers side). Took my known good front 02 sensor and installed it into bank 2 (front drivers side)

So now, if the suspected bad 02 sensor is really bad, the check engine light would come on and Bank 1 02 sensor would come up bad. Drove car for several days and check engine light turns on. Plug SCT check the DTC and guess what. No bad 02 sensor code. No code at all for bank 1.

Its Bank 2 (front drivers side) P0151 low voltage sensor 1. I'm now like wtf. I have no vacuum leaks so that's not the issue. I check the 02 sensor connection to the 02 extenders and all is good. After speaking with AM, they feel I have a bad extender and not uncommon with the long tube headers. It makes sense that the drivers side front extension is bad having only issues with the bank 2 side and the suspected bad 02 sensor is practically brand new, 6 months old.

I called up BBK and spoke with a rep. Dude was so cool. Rep said it easily could be a bad extension with the long tubes and they are sending me a new one at no charge. Hope that solves the problem.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Funny you mention that. About 6 months ago I had to replace the front drivers side (bank 2 02 sensor). About two weeks ago, I got another check engine light. Using my SCT tuner I had received the same code as I did 6 months ago which indicated again my front drivers side 02 sensor was bad.

Keep in mind my front passenger side 02 sensor has been good to go. So deciding before I was dropping another 80 dollars on a OEM Ford front 02 sensor, I switched the 02 sensors around. I took my suspected bad front 02 sensor and installed it over to Bank 1( front drivers side). Took my known good front 02 sensor and installed it into bank 2 (front drivers side)

So now, if the suspected bad 02 sensor is really bad, the check engine light would come on and Bank 1 02 sensor would come up bad. Drove car for several days and check engine light turns on. Plug SCT check the DTC and guess what. No bad 02 sensor code. No code at all for bank 1.

Its Bank 2 (front drivers side) P0151 low voltage sensor 1. I'm now like wtf. I have no vacuum leaks so that's not the issue. I check the 02 sensor connection to the 02 extenders and all is good. After speaking with AM, they feel I have a bad extender and not uncommon with the long tube headers. It makes sense that the drivers side front extension is bad having only issues with the bank 1 side and the suspected bad 02 sensor is brand new, 6 months old.

I called up BBK and spoke with a rep. Dude was so cool. Rep said it easily could be a bad extension with the long tubes and they are sending me a new one at no charge. Hope that solves the problem.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to look into the extensions first if it happens again. So far with the new sensor mine's running fine. However I think it might have actually been the sensor in my case because the idle got really rough and I lost a good chunk of gas mileage.

Whatever I do, I'm not dealing with a warranty claim again, I'd pay the $90 for a new sensor just to not deal with those ******rs. lol
Old 06-30-2014, 08:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to look into the extensions first if it happens again. So far with the new sensor mine's running fine. However I think it might have actually been the sensor in my case because the idle got really rough and I lost a good chunk of gas mileage.

Whatever I do, I'm not dealing with a warranty claim again, I'd pay the $90 for a new sensor just to not deal with those ******rs. lol
Lmao. I hear ya on that. No way I could get my 02 sensor under warranty being I installed BBK long tube headers and off road x pipe. Ha ha.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lmao. I hear ya on that. No way I could get my 02 sensor under warranty being I installed BBK long tube headers and off road x pipe. Ha ha.

I have the same, except for mine is catted. They can whine about it, but Federal Emissions Warranty says they have to replace it
Old 06-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #8
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
I have the same, except for mine is catted. They can whine about it, but Federal Emissions Warranty says they have to replace it
Not necessarily. Just like any warranty, if they can prove an aftermarket part caused the failure, you can be left with the bill. Attached is a section from the Federal Emissions Warranty. The second half of the 3rd bullet is what I'm talking about. Basically, because you are using aftermarket headers, as well as sensor extensions that are known to cause O2 sensor issues, Ford and the dealership could have denied your warranty claim. I believe you lucked out in your case. Others may not be so lucky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404185151249.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	160494  
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Not necessarily. Just like any warranty, if they can prove an aftermarket part caused the failure, you can be left with the bill. Attached is a section from the Federal Emissions Warranty. The second half of the 3rd bullet is what I'm talking about. Basically, because you are using aftermarket headers, as well as sensor extensions that are known to cause O2 sensor issues, Ford and the dealership could have denied your warranty claim. I believe you lucked out in your case. Others may not be so lucky.
True, but they have to PROVE it's the cause of the failure. They honestly never even mentioned my aftermarket exhaust. My argument with them was over whether the O2 sensors were covered under warranty at all. My car is still under Powertrain, but they claimed it was covered under Bumper to Bumper and not Power Train.

That's when I had to pull the Fed Emissions card. Now with a catless X-Pipe, they certainly have a stronger case against you because you are in fact removing a Federally mandated piece of the exhaust, so my situation is slightly different in that respect.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #10
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
That's true. Having cats does help in most cases. Just don't want people reading this thread to think they'll be automatically covered under the warranty. Depends on how much the dealer wants to fight it and whether Ford will side with them or not.

Sent from your mom's house.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang