New here and to V6's, couple ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
New here and to V6's, couple ?

Been lurking on here for a few days or so and I picked up a new 2014 black 6-spd with the Performance Package last week. This seems like a great site with lots of good info. So far, I'm amazed with the performance and handling of this car. I come from V8's in the past and I was always one of those guys who swore I'd never buy a V6 lol, but this one is pretty good. Already tinted it, pics to come shortly. My questions...
-How long to break in the first oil until switching to synthetic? I'm thinking somewhere around a thousand miles? I don't want to wait till 7500 miles with the original oil in there. My favorite that I also use in my Expedition is Amsoil.
-Exhaust. This is my daily driver, mostly highway for at least 30-40 mins so NO drone. Borla touring or Borla S or Corsa I have it narrowed down to. I can only find one sound clip of a Corsa. Any others out there?
I appreciate any input.
Thanks!
BD1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
First off welcome to the site and the v6 world. You will get a million different opinions on when to change your oil but I did it at 3k miles and my car runs perfectly. Some will say 1k and others will say wait even longer than 3k. Anywhere in the 1k to 3k range you will be fine. As for the exhaust.. I have the borla s type and I absolutely love it. It's pretty loud when you get on it (my parents can hear me from a half a mile down the road) but cruising at highway speed you will barely notice it's not stock. It really comes down to preference but I have heard alot of exhausts in person and I think the s types are the perfect balance. Good luck with the car and happy modding!
Old 06-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
First off welcome to the site and the v6 world. You will get a million different opinions on when to change your oil but I did it at 3k miles and my car runs perfectly. Some will say 1k and others will say wait even longer than 3k. Anywhere in the 1k to 3k range you will be fine. As for the exhaust.. I have the borla s type and I absolutely love it. It's pretty loud when you get on it (my parents can hear me from a half a mile down the road) but cruising at highway speed you will barely notice it's not stock. It really comes down to preference but I have heard alot of exhausts in person and I think the s types are the perfect balance. Good luck with the car and happy modding!

+1 - I also have the S-Types! And they are amazing.. I
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well I decided to go with Corsa. Only a few videos with the sound on YouTube, but they sound amazing! Hopefully they sound that good in person.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Breaking it in the way I did.

Do not drive a continuous speed. ( Forget cruise control for now)
Don't do hole shots.
Try not to brake hard.
At 3,500 miles go to your dealer and get first oil/filter change still using semi-synthetic. You want to get rid of the small crap that may have come from manufacturing. You want to go to your dealer so they can check everything out for you and have a nice record on your Mustang.
At 7,500 miles to 10,000 miles you can go to full synthetic. Rotate the tires.
( I rotate same side front to back. )

After the 3,500 miles you don't need to baby the car as you did up to that point.

One thing to think about is a good oil catch can for your first mod you do. I have the JLC and it is east to install and empty and comes with Ford lines to just plug it in. Installs in less the one minute. You can do that after your first oil/filter change.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
+1 - I also have the S-Types! And they are amazing.. I
+1 - Yup, Borla S-Type FTW! Every time I just start the car I'm just amazed, let alone when I step on it. They sound great and look beautiful. Friggen 4-1/2" chrome exhaust fills in the rear valance perfectly
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the input. I will leave it in for few thousand miles and I agree about getting everything checked out by the dealer. I'm only guilty of the constant speed, can't really help it because of driving to work. I hope I don't have buyers remorse not getting the Borla's!
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1980 View Post
Thanks for the input. I will leave it in for few thousand miles and I agree about getting everything checked out by the dealer. I'm only guilty of the constant speed, can't really help it because of driving to work. I hope I don't have buyers remorse not getting the Borla's!
Hey, whatever makes ya happy I spent months of research, listening to clips, going to car shows and get togethers. The best way is to see the exhausts in person and ask the owner to start their car for ya. Seeing and hearing in person is believing and the only way, forget the sound clips. They're nice to get ya started, but not to ultimately make your final decision.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Hey, whatever makes ya happy I spent months of research, listening to clips, going to car shows and get togethers. The best way is to see the exhausts in person and ask the owner to start their car for ya. Seeing and hearing in person is believing and the only way, forget the sound clips. They're nice to get ya started, but not to ultimately make your final decision.

+1 go to car shows those videos online don't do any exhaust justice
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I change mine every 2,500 miles. As I just turned a little over 5,000 miles, I had my second oil change.

On July 19th of this month, I will have had my V6 for two years. So most of my mileage is local driving only. I have another car for the winter. With last year's winter, my car was garaged almost four months.

As you can see by the responses, no are the same.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I change mine around every 6k. I'm not really worried cause I run full synthetic and the factory interval is 10k miles.

One day from now, she'll have been in my possession for 2 years, just over 27k miles on the clock.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang