LT Xpipe and Borla Stype to loud - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
LT Xpipe and Borla Stype to loud

About to add long tube headers along with shorty Xpipe no cats to my Borla Stype setup.

This gonna be to loud?

What can I do to compensate if to loud besides selling muffler

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
wgolden30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 10:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Really the only thing I can think of would be to add resonators. It would clean up some of the sound, not really quiet it. Other than that its strictly all on the mufflers. If it really is too loud look into GT500's, they're like baby versions of the S-Types
Old 06-25-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgolden30 View Post
About to add long tube headers along with shorty Xpipe no cats to my Borla Stype setup.

This gonna be to loud?

What can I do to compensate if to loud besides selling muffler

Will it be loud with no cats and LTs? Yes. "Too loud" is a matter of opinion. Like 2 stangz said, resonators are a good option. The S-Types are right in the middle so they won't be absurd like the ATAKS.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 10:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Do resonators restrict airflow at all? Can u point to any quality products

Old 06-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do resonators restrict airflow at all? Can u point to any quality products

Flowmaster is always a good choice. Flowmaster RESONATOR - Tuned Resonator designed to be used in conjuction with Flowmaster Mufflers

They don't restrict airflow, they just add another chamber to help tame the sound a bit.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 06-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i am getting it installed tomorrow morning, anything i should know about before I WOT? Break in period, ect.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
i am getting it installed tomorrow morning, anything i should know about before I WOT? Break in period, ect.
Yeah, make sure as soon as you pull out of the shop's parking lot to floor that b*tch for a good few seconds. Really secures the headers into the engine.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #8

Region: Canada
Yes it is going to be loud and raspy, I have a similar setup ARH long tube headers, ARH catted h-pipe, and Borla Touring cat-back exhaust and it is loud but not to loud but very raspy above 3k.

I am installing 18 inch Vibrant resonators today hoping that gets rid of the rasp.
SavvyChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My buddy has the exact set up you are considering. Is is loud? Yes. Too loud? Only when driving late at night (12am+) because sound travels more. It sounds great by the way, especially at WOT.
3.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thumbs down

Update:

So I dropped the car off last night at the ford dealership, they call me at 1PM today and say they cant install anything because the xpipe does not have the cat's.

Then they said once I can find a eliminator to 'trick' the pcm, I can have them installed and they will warranty them.

I asked to have that in writing and the op's manager gets all upset and says no. So much shady ****....
Old 06-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

even verified he would do it several days in advance, prior to me buying the whole set!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	email.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	160197  
Old 06-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
even verified he would do it several days in advance, prior to me buying the whole set!!!
Of course they won't put it in writing lol. It's illegal to remove the cats and replace it with a catless pipe. The fact that they WILL do it is slightly shady in the eyes of the law. Cats are required.

From that e-mail, you didn't tell them it was catless, they likely assumed it was catted.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:56 AM   #13

Region: Florida
I tried to have gears installed in my 2014 from FRPP to no avail. They told me since I didn't buy them from them they wouldn't warranty them. I then proceeded to ask why and they said anyone could just bring in gears in a Ford Racing box. I was like "it is stamped on the gears you idiot!" Dealers are shady as F^!*
SallyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Update

So a local shop has agreed to install for 360 gonna have my new headers soon

Old 06-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Got them on and they are loud as Fk might have to sell my stingers and get a touring or something

Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Got them on and they are loud as Fk might have to sell my stingers and get a touring or something

What headers did you buy?
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

BBK long tube and off road Xpipe set

Old 06-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I can hear like a raspy sucking noise coming from the passenger side when the windows are rolled up.

My car sounds like it has no exhaust when I accelerate, making cop magnet noises.

Also I have a check engine light, even with bama tune.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I can hear like a raspy sucking noise coming from the passenger side when the windows are rolled up.

My car sounds like it has no exhaust when I accelerate, making cop magnet noises.

Pull the code with your tuner to see what is, but it sounds like the shop may have done a piss-poor job at installation.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Reflashed and it still occurs, this just a unplugged o2?

Old 06-29-2014, 08:45 AM   #21

Quote:

I told you man (sorry), again I have the ARH long tube headers, catted-h-pipe and the Borla Touring cat-back and even mine was loud but even worse raspy.

I just had 18 Vibrant resonators install on Friday and it did deepen the sound and get rid of a lot of the rasp but it is still a little raspy at 3k and tolerable now.

As for the check engine light make sure the rear o2 sensors are connected, BBK should have supplied os2 extensions for the rear..
Old 06-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Update

Found out shop that installed it bent the o2 sensor will have to replace

Old 06-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have LT headers + catted x with borla touring, it's very raspy at 2-3k revs. I'm probly going to remove the cats and add resonators, but remember our engines are naturally raspy so their will always be some http://youtu.be/7b-PA-wvAxk

rinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Update

Found out shop that installed it bent the o2 sensor will have to replace

How do you bend an O2 sensor?.... Either way, I hope they're paying for the new sensor.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

No clue I took it to another shop because I went on a mini road trip and they found it.

Very ticked off

Worried it's gonna effect my engine on the 150 mile trip back

Old 06-29-2014, 03:10 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No clue I took it to another shop because I went on a mini road trip and they found it.

Very ticked off

I can't say for sure, but last week I had one of mine go out. Idle was pretty rough and my MPGs dropped by about 40% because the sensor wasn't working, it wasn't calculating Air/Fuel ratios correctly.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:11 PM   #27

Quote:

Very ticked off

If it is one of the front o2 sensors than I am not sure how it will effect you but of its one of the rears it is not big deal because odds are your tune has disabled them but it will still throw a light because it is not present.

Now if the rear o2 sensors are the same part as the front sensors and it is one of front ones bent (god only knows how that could happen) maybe to play it safe you can just relocated one of the rear sensors to the front until you get it replaced.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavvyChimp View Post
If it is one of the front o2 sensors than I am not sure how it will effect you but of its one of the rears it is not big deal because odds are your tune has disabled them but it will still throw a light because it is not present.

Now if the rear o2 sensors are the same part as the front sensors and it is one of front ones bent (god only knows how that could happen) maybe to play it safe you can just relocated one of the rear sensors to the front until you get it replaced.
No the upstream and downstream O2s are slightly different, can't swap between them unfortunately.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
If you want to clean up the sound you have to get some resonators in there, be careful of the placement though it does make a difference. If you have drone you will want to move the resonators to the rear toward the over axle pipes, if you want to change the pitch a little to reduce rasp and deepen the sound you would put them further up closer to the X. Also the type of resonator will make a difference too.

For drone I would go with a larger 3.5" to 4" diameter Vibrant resonator towards the axle. Also helps with some rasp.

For lowering the volume I would go with something similar to a quiet resonator which is more closer to a muffler than a resonator but it is high flow. And put it more toward the X pipe or middle where you have clearance. You will still have the same tone but at a lower volume. This will also eliminate some of the rasp.

To change up the sound and pitch go with a longer bullet type or canister type resonator like a Magnaflow Magnapack (16" or greater in length) and place them just after the X about mid pipe. This will modulate the sound more than quiet it and will alter the volume just a little, but will smooth it out.

Sometimes this is trial and error till you find what sounds good.
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
3.7Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I hear some people are adding gt resonators too not sure of that

Also can a shop tell on u for not having cats on? And if my car is totaled can my insurance void my claim because of illegal exhaust? What are some ways to get caught

Old 06-30-2014, 02:06 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Yup a lot of people do that and to be honest any resonator will have some sort of positive affect the resonators on the GT are bullet style and they do a good job.
16 Mustang Ecoboost Prem Fast Back | 2.3L | 3.55 gears | 201A Package | 20" Foundry Wheels P265/35R20 Continental DWS tires | Interior Trim package | Shaker Audio with SYNC 3 | Redline Elite Hood Struts | Mishimoto catch can | Mishimoto Intercooler(Black) | TS Vee port supersonic BOV | Tune+ tuning | Driveshaft Shop aluminum DS | Map big turbo kit | AEM Meth injection w/Mishimoto charge pipe and bung | http://www.youtube.com/user/eclypse3d
Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

How much should all of this cost

Old 07-01-2014, 01:15 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

It varies depending on your goals whats used and labor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang