CAI vs. Axleback - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #1

Region: Virginia
CAI vs. Axleback

So I'm ready to purchase my next mod and I'm debating between a CAI or an Axleback system. Im not worried about horsepower gain or anything. More of a best bang for your buck when it comes to hearing a difference in the car. I'm leaning towards CAI just for its overall benefits, any thoughts or advice?

Insta > @wade_brdshw <
wade808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I'd get the axle back.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I'd get the axle back.

+1
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Axle-back for sure. When you say you're leaning towards the CAI for the "overall benefits", what benefits do you think it provides? (Not being ******y, just wanna hear what you've heard about them).

As far as I know, it's 90% cosmetic under the hood, 10% enjoyable sound.

Axle-back will give you the chance to head towards an orgasmic sound out of your car and have some sweet looking tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DiESeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

I'm not overall interested in horsepower gains but I do know that the CAI will provide some, as well as I've heard that they provide a little better fuel economy. I've also heard that the exhaust can do this as well though. One thing that I've been told is that the CAI can give a slight whine to the engine. Whether this is true I do not know. No matter what I do know I will eventually get both the CAI and axle backs, I'm just trying to see which I should get first.

Insta > @wade_brdshw <
Old 06-26-2014, 10:22 AM   #6
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade808 View Post
So I'm ready to purchase my next mod and I'm debating between a CAI or an Axleback system. Im not worried about horsepower gain or anything. More of a best bang for your buck when it comes to hearing a difference in the car. I'm leaning towards CAI just for its overall benefits, any thoughts or advice?

Insta > @wade_brdshw <

Wade-That's a tough one and I'd shoot for the exhaust first because if you're shooting for a CAI there's really no point to pick one up if you're not purchasing a tuner along with it. We have a huge selection of Axle-Back Systems online here and my best recommendation would be to take a look at some of the videos we have to get a better idea of what you're after.

Let me know if you have any questions or shoot me a PM, I'm always here to help out!

-Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I would definitely get the AB's over a CAI. The CAI is useless without a tune, it will only give you a little whistle when you step on it. I did AB's first, as do many people. It will TOTALLY change the sound of your car. The CAI will leave you feeling let down and wishing you got the AB. The only reason I purchased a CAI (I have no tune) is that I got it used for less than half price, and figured I would get it for some eye candy under the hood. A nice AB set up will have you smiling like a kid in a candy store, I would recommend Borla if you have the $, but you really can't go wrong with any of them on AM.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #8

I've definitely started leaning back towards the axle backs from all the comments so far, I'm looking at the pypes pype-bomb kit

Insta > @wade_brdshw <
Old 06-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've definitely started leaning back towards the axle backs from all the comments so far, I'm looking at the pypes pype-bomb kit

Insta > @wade_brdshw <
I have the black Pype-bombs. I love them. They give a little bit of drone, but they really are not that bad. My car is a DD and I barely notice it. For the price they cannot be beat. They were the first mod I ever did to my car and it sounds amazing compared to stock. They are loud and throaty, giving off a nice roar at WOT. At idle they rumble and I love it. Heads turn whenever I drive past and give it a little gas. I get compliments on them all the time.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #10

Okay cool, thanks for the input! I'm probably going to order them later today!

Insta > @wade_brdshw <
Old 06-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
let me muddle the waters. You said this is mostly for sound....I've done both and the Exhaust sound is for bystanders the CAI sound is for the driver. I got both pieces used so for $425 I'm happy.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Flowmaster outlaw or borla s type!
RollDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
B4 U ask...Bassani & Airaid. I will caution I've seen a fair # of drone complaints about the pypebombs. My Bassani will drone a slight bit under uphill load but it's rare. European sound with a bit of burble - not stupid loud.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
let me muddle the waters. You said this is mostly for sound....I've done both and the Exhaust sound is for bystanders the CAI sound is for the driver. I got both pieces used so for $425 I'm happy.
+1 you can find a lot of well-priced CAI's on ebay and/or craigslist. I got my Airaid CAI with 3,000 miles on it for $150 off of Craigslist. It is not worth the $300 IMO, but for $150... why not
Old 06-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Okay cool, thanks for the input! I'm probably going to order them later today!

Insta > @wade_brdshw <

Make sure you do your research before pulling the trigger on a particular exhaust. You don't want to put them on and find out it is not the tone or volume you were looking for. This is probably the area where the most people end up changing their minds after the fact because they didn't get what they expected.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Axle back Mufflers

If your looking for a good sound without any drone or obnoxious noise;
Choices are::::
Magnaflow Streets--- Borla Touring or Ford Racing Touring. These all bolt up nice to your system and all sound good but not overly loud. The Magnaflow streets do have the deepest rumble.

Anything else you are going to have some drone and a lot of raspy noise. There are a lot of Mustang owners that love that. They love the obnoxious noise and would not have anything else.
Like GrabberMeBlue said:
Quote:
Make sure you do your research before pulling the trigger on a particular exhaust. You don't want to put them on and find out it is not the tone or volume you were looking for. This is probably the area where the most people end up changing their minds after the fact because they didn't get what they expected.
I would like to add that no exhaust sold in the world will make a 3.7 V6 sound like a V8.""NONE"" But I gotta say that the Magnaflow street make my V6 sound really great.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
I'm not overall interested in horsepower gains but I do know that the CAI will provide some, as well as I've heard that they provide a little better fuel economy. I've also heard that the exhaust can do this as well though. One thing that I've been told is that the CAI can give a slight whine to the engine. Whether this is true I do not know. No matter what I do know I will eventually get both the CAI and axle backs, I'm just trying to see which I should get first.

Insta > @wade_brdshw <
+1 I've had two kits sound and a little gas mileage increase. C&L and Airaid no hp
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai