Supercharged 3.7 V6 vs. 5.0 T - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Supercharged 3.7 V6 vs. 5.0 T

2013-2014 Mustangs we are talking here. I'm sure this has been talked about before but I'm about to buy a Mustang which has been the car I've wanted ever since I could say "Mustang". I definitely want to mod immediately if I get the V6. I'm probably going to go the supercharger route rather than the turbocharger because I'm not going to be racing, but for some reason I want a car that just kicks my ***!

So which is better (horsepower, torque, daily driving, FEEL, potential in the short and long run.) Supercharged V6 or 5.0 GT.?

Let's pretend that the v6 already comes with a supercharger right out of the box.

2013-2014 Mustangs
FlavorFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Personally, I would get a GT, then start saving for a supercharger, the big horsepower and big head-turning sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
But everyone and their mother has a fast gt :p
Takes a real lunatic to make make a fast v6.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I don't have a supercharger, but my friend does on his Mustang. He is putting out about 450 HP/400 TQ, which is better than a 5.0 GT. Daily driving you will get better mpg on the v6 I believe. You will also save a few thousand dollars if you go the supercharged 6 route. Feel is entirely up to the driver. I would prefer a supercharged 6 because no one will expect it, it would be a sleeper, and unique. Supercharging the v6 will void your warranty however, if the warranty is a concern to you. whereas a stock GT obviously will not unless you do something to it that voids the warranty. Like I said, I do not own either, but my friend has a supercharged 6 and my uncle has a GT, and I prefer the super6. Do a lot of research on your own, as a lot of this is opinionated and depends on the supercharger you get. Hope this helped.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely, thanks

Sent from my C6916 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
But everyone and their mother has a fast gt :p Takes a real lunatic to make make a fast v6. Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
The 3.7 isn't that hard to make fast tho! Haha.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes. Do your homework. If less then 500hp is what you desire a 6 may be your best bet. If you crave 650 or more it has to be an 8.
If its a daily driver, youll definitely get better mpg with a 6
I have just over 500 in my 8 and trust me, its plenty! My mpg is about 15.
Good luck in whatever you decide. As long as its a Mustang, youre in good company.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
Old 06-26-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb427r View Post
Yes. Do your homework. If less then 500hp is what you desire a 6 may be your best bet. If you crave 650 or more it has to be an 8.
Good luck in whatever you decide. As long as its a Mustang, youre in good company.

Your v8 you talking about a 427r? Blower swap? From the m-90?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Bc if your talking about over 500 at the tires you definitely have a different blower.
Or if your talking about 500 at the crank with the vmp package

Prior 427 owner here so I know

Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:

Not necessarily. I've got a buddy that has turbo'd his Wife's '64 Falcon. It is a straight 6 (yep, you read that right) 250, with a fairly large turbo on it. It now has a fuel injected head since he was having major problems with cylinders 5 and 6 running too lean and burning. The last time it was dyno'd it was slightly over 650 HP. Now, the HP is anyone's guess. He hasn't been working on it lately since he has been working on another project that will be in 5.0 Mustangs probably in the Fall. (Nov / Dec most likely...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	574827_210352315750293_1421778580_n.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	160112

Big HP is possible on just about anything anymore. The 5.0 right out of the box is a great motor. The 3.7 is what I wanted for my almost daily driver. But it has plenty of power too. One of these days my buddy and I will be doing something to it. Probably the day after the warranty is out...

Steve
'14 Deep Impact Blue V-6 Coupe
MCA Package
V-6 Performance Package
Premium Package
SRE TUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Hi FlavorFlav

Either car you choose will be awsum.
Pro-Charge the six will get better MPG and less expensive insurance and would be a great sleeper with more then enough street power.
Remember to add a one piece aluminum drive shaft to the cost of the Supercharger.
Your smart to think supercharger because a turbo ,Although being excellent for adding power is just a PITA to install and way to complicated and gets awful hot under the hood.
For a street car your not going to race it would be the Six for me.

Now, The GT. Just a great car without doing anything to it. A very powerful reliable engine. Not as good MPG as the six. More for insurance .( IN MY AREA IT IS) But a just plain very good car.

Me personally would go for the six. """I DID"" then if I wanted more power I would Pro-Charge it. You need to know the Transmissions and Rears are the same in a six 2011 up as they are in a GT. ( Except for ratios) They can handle the new power a charger will give you.

Of course any of what you want will cost $$$$$.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

supercharged six hands down. Everyone has a fast a GT lol. A pro charged sixxer takes on all but the top of the line cars when it comes down to times.
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Can someone give me a quick rundown of the pro/cons of a super charger compared to a pro charger? I've done a lot of research and have read contradicting info. Trying to get the straight facts down to maintenance , horsepower, and strain on engine. All knowledgable info welcome!

iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post
Can someone give me a quick rundown of the pro/cons of a super charger compared to a pro charger? I've done a lot of research and have read contradicting info. Trying to get the straight facts down to maintenance , horsepower, and strain on engine. All knowledgable info welcome!

Reason you can't find anything is bc your trying to compare the same thing. A procharger is a supercharger

Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

My problem has always been choosing something that matches my personality. I always lean towards power and brutal force but I have success with out of the ordinary things. I feel like if I get the GT, I will feel pretty good right off the bat. But on the other hand, if I can make a monster sleeper sixer, then I think I would feel right at home with that. I'd rather turn heads after a run than before a run.

On a side note, if I end up going the v6 route, should I Super or Turbo? What are the pros/cons?

Just to let you know, I live in Texas so it gets friggin hot all the time.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Procharger is just a centrifugal supercharger. Pretty much a belt driven turbo

Old 06-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

That definitely clears up the confusion I've had haha, thanks.

iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Easy

A pro-Charger IS A Super Charger. Pro-Charger is just the name of the company that makes them. I like them because you can buy a whole package and don't have the stress of piecing a lot of stuff together to get some of them to work on your car. I talked to a guy once that bought one and it was just under $6,000 for everything he needed including buying a drive shaft. That was a year ago and I have not seen him so I don't know if he ever got it installed . He was from Orlando and at a car show here in Daytona.
I sure would love to see the results.
Ronnie
Old 06-26-2014, 01:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Either way, the new cyote is an amazing motor. They get exelent gas mileage considering the power they produce. The resale value on a gt is better and you will start off with the same power considering the v6 is supercharged. The n/a 5.0 will be more reliable than a blown v6. Get the gt
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The Blown six is reliable ___ UNLESS___

If you just install; the pro charger and don't crank up the boost you will still have a reliable engine with no problems at all.
Super Chargers as well as Turbo Chargers are being used more often now then ever due to the reliability they now give an engine more usable power. The only problems I have heard of is by the people that think more boost is better. It is, but not for long.
There are plenty of Shelby's as well as Roush's running around with super chargers that have 100,00 plus miles with no problems. It should be no different with a Pro Charged 3.7 Cyclone V6.
Ronnie
Old 06-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Plus I have a feeling that 6 cylinder engines are gonna take over. I think that the technology is shifting from who can make the most powerful car to who can make the most efficient car.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

SRE - i agree but the op said he didnt want to turbocharge. By the way, nice Falcon

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
Old 06-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorFlav View Post
Plus I have a feeling that 6 cylinder engines are gonna take over. I think that the technology is shifting from who can make the most powerful car to who can make the most efficient car.
For a majority of the population this may be true, but there will always be those people who will want a v8 and dnt give 2 dams about fuel economy.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey mikeygaga

Quote:
For a majority of the population this may be true, but there will always be those people who will want a v8 and dnt give 2 dams about fuel economy.
You are 100% correct. There are some that will love the Turbo four when it is available in 2015. Then there are some of us that fell in total love with our V6 engines.

It is really great to have a choice. We know the V8 & V6 are both excellent but the T-4 will have to prove its self for us before we can make an opinion.
Ronnie
Old 06-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
SRE - i agree but the op said he didnt want to turbocharge. By the way, nice Falcon

Yeah, my bad, I missed that...

The Falcon is a Buddies car. It is a work in progress. He has been working on it for at least 4 years now if not longer. Every time he thinks its dialed in, something lets go. I tell him its using a 250 straight Six, but he is hell bent on making it happen. He as also been selling turbo systems for the straight sixers. It is actually a pretty cool set up.
The big project is an '86 SVO...That one has been interesting to help with...

Steve
'14 Deep Impact Blue V-6 Coupe
MCA Package
V-6 Performance Package
Premium Package
SRE TUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Certainly have to give him props for having the right attitude and sticking with his guns!

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
Old 06-26-2014, 08:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Hey Rapinator - Good call, it's the 500 HP crank VMP setup with the little M90.
Amazing what a smaller pulley, tune, and CAI can do. Sorry you are a 'former' 427R owner. I'll bet it was tough to let go..

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
Old 06-26-2014, 08:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey Rapinator - Good call, it's the 500 HP crank VMP setup with the little M90.
Amazing what a smaller pulley, tune, and CAI can do. Sorry you are a 'former' 427R owner. I'll bet it was tough to let go..
It was a fun car yes. But I sold it and bought a 2012 5.0 which is a fully built motor / nitrous car now.

My old 427r below. Like I said alot of fun. But the 5.0 is my baby.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403831914224.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	160140   Click image for larger version

Name:	1403831927702.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	160141  

Old 06-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cise View Post
supercharged six hands down. Everyone has a fast a GT lol. A pro charged sixxer takes on all but the top of the line cars when it comes down to times.
OP, I have to totally agree with this persons logic and feelings about your topic. Big powered , fast Gt's are a dime a dozen and tons of mustang enthusiasts have that.

Having a supercharged 400 plus rwhp mustang V6 is not common. It makes your ride different from the standard clone GT's. I don't see having issues with an pro charger supercharger sticking with a conservative gold standard 8 lbs which will put you over 400 rwhp. The engine will not have any strain on it during normal driving conditions and no boost is made.

I vote for you to be different and not follow the rest of the cattle.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
OP, I have to totally agree with this persons logic and feelings about your topic. Big powered , fast Gt's are a dime a dozen and tons of mustang enthusiasts have that.

Having a supercharged 400 plus rwhp mustang V6 is not common. It makes your ride different from the standard clone GT's. I don't see having issues with an pro charger supercharger sticking with a conservative gold standard 8 lbs which will put you over 400 rwhp. The engine will not have any strain on it during normal driving conditions and no boost is made.

I think that just made up my mind. Thank you good sir

Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
+1, exactly why ford is releasing an eco 4. There is no long term future for V8s as technology starts to take over and creates more power, less emissions, and most importantly better fuel milage from much smaller engines. The change has already begun, f150's V6 out selling the V8s for the first time, my wife's 2014 fusion is now only available in a choice of 4 cylinder engines. V8s are a dying breed I'm afraid.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:52 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

+1, well said Kona as usual.

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think that just made up my mind. Thank you good sir

Excellent choice bro. I can't wait to hear your results.

Old 06-27-2014, 07:07 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1, well said Kona as usual.

Why thank you good sir.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1, exactly why ford is releasing an eco 4. There is no long term future for V8s as technology starts to take over and creates more power, less emissions, and most importantly better fuel milage from much smaller engines. The change has already begun, f150's V6 out selling the V8s for the first time, my wife's 2014 fusion is now only available in a choice of 4 cylinder engines. V8s are a dying breed I'm afraid.
I heard this prediction in the late 70's, early 80's, late 80's and again in the early 90's.

V8's are not going anywhere.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang