Oil Change question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Oil Change question

Hey everyone!

I'm an owner of a 2014 Mustang v6 base model. After discovering the oil life monitor on the gauge display, i noticed that my oil life in now at 70%. This concerns me a bit as my car just hit ~3200 miles last night. Based on this info, my oil life will be 0% at just over 10,000 miles!?!

Is this normal or is my oil life monitor broken? On my last car, i changed my oil every 3,500 miles but it was conventional. Is the Mustang synthetic or conventional.

Thanks!
blackstang1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it comes with a semi-syn bleand. You will get lots of differant opinions....I'm old school changed mine out the 1st time at 500-600 miles again at 3000 miles both semi-syn. and for my nice weather toy I run full synthetic and change it on a time based 9 month period.

pick the opinion that makes the most sense to you. My OLM will tell me to do it by time rather than mileage so if I do it every 9 months instead of the 12 months it suggests I end up doing it 4 x in 3 years instead of 3 x...that is the sweet spot between early changes and economy.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

oh yeah, if it is mileage 3500 is wastefull even in my book, but I like doing at least one real early but as I said it's old school
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Oil change should verry on how you drive the car if you go out and beat on it during the weekend, change it right then. I do mine every 2000 miles regardless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replies. Seems like the general consensus is change it earlier than the oil monitor but not too early and the first oil change should be soon.

Also, I will be taking my car into the dealership for all service (for my own reasons). How much should I expect to pay for a synthetic oil change and tire rotation? My dealership quoted me $100+ tax, which I thought was ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
Old 06-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
What I did--Right or wrong I did it.

At 3,500 miles I went to the dealer and changed the oil and Filter. 3,500 miles is long enough to get the very small amounts of anything from the engine wearing in out of the crankcase. I just did Semi-Synthetic again.

At 7,500 miles I got the oil and filter changed again and had the FULL Synthetic put in. From here on out I'll let the monitor tell me when to change oil again and keep using the Full Synthetic.

I just use the Ford oil from the dealer (MOTORCRAFT) as well as their filter.
Ronnie

PS: My Ford dealer charges $19.99 for Semi-Synthetic with a filter change. $59.99 if Full Synthetic and $19.99 for rotating the tires.
They also send coupons that are used for discounts. My last tire rotation was with a free coupon.
Ford has a program called "THE WORKS"
http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...140626183351:s

It expires at the end of this month but they usually always have this going on.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
At 3,500 miles I went to the dealer and changed the oil and Filter. 3,500 miles is long enough to get the very small amounts of anything from the engine wearing in out of the crankcase. I just did Semi-Synthetic again.

At 7,500 miles I got the oil and filter changed again and had the FULL Synthetic put in. From here on out I'll let the monitor tell me when to change oil again and keep using the Full Synthetic.

I just use the Ford oil from the dealer (MOTORCRAFT) as well as their filter.
Ronnie

PS: My Ford dealer charges $19.99 for Semi-Synthetic with a filter change. $59.99 if Full Synthetic and $19.99 for rotating the tires.
They also send coupons that are used for discounts. My last tire rotation was with a free coupon.
Ford has a program called "THE WORKS"
Ford Service Coupons and Rebates | Official Ford Owner Site

It expires at the end of this month but they usually always have this going on.
Thanks for the coupons! It says under "The works" that it is up to 5 quarts of oil... Does this include our Mustangs because it seems like our engines would take more than 5 quarts.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:55 PM   #8
Staff

Regular
Staff

they will tack on something...ask 1st. the V6 is 6 qts. Several of us also like to use the FL-820 instead of FL-500 oil filter it is a bit larger and has mor holding capacity. Most of those are the diy guys.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
they will tack on something...ask 1st. the V6 is 6 qts. Several of us also like to use the FL-820 instead of FL-500 oil filter it is a bit larger and has mor holding capacity. Most of those are the diy guys.
Yeah, i would love to do my own oil change with the bigger filter but due to my job, i just don't have time anymore . Maybe i will ask the service writer if he can use the FL-820.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

That is something to ask about.

If you do have to pay for an extra quart it is still a good deal. If your dealer is as good as mine in Daytona I don't think they will charge you. I'm thinking they will just do the oil/filter change and send you out happy. as far as a bigger filter. I don't think it would make much of a difference if you change your oil when your supposed to. As long as you stay away from "JIFFY LUBE" and go to the dealer you will have no problems at all.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The good ones (dealer service centers) know the 3.7 takes 6 quarts, and don't charge extra for it.

As to how often, I use the monitor when I use semi synthetic; if I catch a good deal on full synthetic, I leave it in longer.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
The good ones (dealer service centers) know the 3.7 takes 6 quarts, and don't charge extra for it.

As to how often, I use the monitor when I use semi synthetic; if I catch a good deal on full synthetic, I leave it in longer.
Thank you! Is it ok to switch between semi synthetic and full synthetic or should you stay with one or the other?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know how the oil monitor works? Is it an optical sensor? Viscosity? Just curious. I'm sure it's not just an arithmetic odometer calculation, because it does seem to know the difference in oil quality. When I first bought my car with the factory semi-synthetic, it matched the rated oil life mileage perfectly. Then when I put my own good stuff in it (Mobil-1 full synthetic with a Mobil-1 filter), the oil life according to the monitor lasted a lot longer.

Just curious how it measures the oil life.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
Does anyone know how the oil monitor works? Is it an optical sensor? Viscosity? Just curious. I'm sure it's not just an arithmetic odometer calculation, because it does seem to know the difference in oil quality. When I first bought my car with the factory semi-synthetic, it matched the rated oil life mileage perfectly. Then when I put my own good stuff in it (Mobil-1 full synthetic with a Mobil-1 filter), the oil life according to the monitor lasted a lot longer.

Just curious how it measures the oil life.

I definitely notice that when i take my car on the highway and do some hard pulls, the oil life drops ~1-2%. I don't know what this means but i have a feeling that it is an actual sensor and not just some math equation. (That would seem pretty useless to me)
Old 06-26-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
I definitely notice that when i take my car on the highway and do some hard pulls, the oil life drops ~1-2%. I don't know what this means but i have a feeling that it is an actual sensor and not just some math equation. (That would seem pretty useless to me)
Yep, definitely agree that it's not some math thing. I really want to know how it works.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstang1 View Post
Yeah, i would love to do my own oil change with the bigger filter but due to my job, i just don't have time anymore . Maybe i will ask the service writer if he can use the FL-820.
You don't have time to do it, but you have time to wait on someone else to??

The two times I have changed the oil in my car, it has taken less than 15 minutes without even rushing.

Jack the front end up, put it the jack-stands under it, remove the shield thing, get drain pan, remove bolt, remove filter, do the reverse, fill it up, take it for a drive, check for leaks, put everything away and done.

These cars are incredibly easy to work on, saves money too.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
How the IOLM (Indicated Oil Life Monitor) works - from Ford.

Several key factors that affect oil life include:

Driving habits (such as towing and workload)
Hours in operation and at idle
Oil and coolant temperature
Engine speed and torque
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles
How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.

The frequency of oil changes

Depending on driving conditions, oil change intervals are approximately:

Up to 10,000 miles - Normal commuting with highway driving
5,000 – 7,500 miles - Trailer tow/high-load driving
3,000 – 5,000 miles - Short trip usage, extreme cold or hot temperature
NOTE: Actual mileage will depend on your specific driving conditions.

Under normal conditions, you will get an OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message at up to 1 year, or 10,000 miles from the previous oil change.

What the IOLM tells you

You’ll find a display in your instrument cluster’s message center that will notify you of oil change intervals by displaying ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED. The system will also indicate when fuel filters need maintenance, or if fuel pressure is low.*

*Refer to owner’s guide for specific applications.

Synthetic oil and the IOLM

Ford engines have been tested using Motorcraft® Synthetic Blended Oils. If you do use synthetic oil, it needs to meet the Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in the owner’s guide. Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM.

Vehicles that will get the IOLM

The IOLM will be available on most vehicles under 8,500 lbs. gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and the all-new 2011 model year 6.7L Power Stroke® Diesel on the Super Duty® model. That translates into over 90 percent of the 2011 model year Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles sold.

For in-depth details about the IOLM, please refer to your owner’s guide and diesel supplement.

Motorcraft® is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
You don't have time to do it, but you have time to wait on someone else to??

The two times I have changed the oil in my car, it has taken less than 15 minutes without even rushing.

Jack the front end up, put it the jack-stands under it, remove the shield thing, get drain pan, remove bolt, remove filter, do the reverse, fill it up, take it for a drive, check for leaks, put everything away and done.

These cars are incredibly easy to work on, saves money too.

I guess I'm just slow but when I did an oil change on my Hyundai it took me over an hour from start to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Mods: Airaid CAI w/ Synthamax filter, 18" black AMR wheels
Old 06-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
How the IOLM (Indicated Oil Life Monitor) works - from Ford.

Several key factors that affect oil life include:

Driving habits (such as towing and workload)
Hours in operation and at idle
Oil and coolant temperature
Engine speed and torque
Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles
How the IOLM works

The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.

The frequency of oil changes

Depending on driving conditions, oil change intervals are approximately:

Up to 10,000 miles - Normal commuting with highway driving
5,000 – 7,500 miles - Trailer tow/high-load driving
3,000 – 5,000 miles - Short trip usage, extreme cold or hot temperature
NOTE: Actual mileage will depend on your specific driving conditions.

Under normal conditions, you will get an OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message at up to 1 year, or 10,000 miles from the previous oil change.

What the IOLM tells you

You’ll find a display in your instrument cluster’s message center that will notify you of oil change intervals by displaying ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED. The system will also indicate when fuel filters need maintenance, or if fuel pressure is low.*

*Refer to owner’s guide for specific applications.

Synthetic oil and the IOLM

Ford engines have been tested using Motorcraft® Synthetic Blended Oils. If you do use synthetic oil, it needs to meet the Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in the owner’s guide. Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM.

Vehicles that will get the IOLM

The IOLM will be available on most vehicles under 8,500 lbs. gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and the all-new 2011 model year 6.7L Power Stroke® Diesel on the Super Duty® model. That translates into over 90 percent of the 2011 model year Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles sold.

For in-depth details about the IOLM, please refer to your owner’s guide and diesel supplement.

Motorcraft® is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company.
Thanks a lot for that, Ish. Software algorithm, definitely didn't expect that. That means that with my better quality oil and filter, the indicator is probably displaying lower values than the true quality.

Where did you find this information? Sounds like something I would like to have access to. I'm really into technical stuff like that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang