Roots vs Centrifugal vs Twin-Screw - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Roots vs Centrifugal vs Twin-Screw

I'm getting a 2014 Mustang V6 pretty soon and I want to add a supercharger to it right away so it can be up to par with the GT's.

The problem is that I live in Texas, so heat is definitely a factor.

I don't think I'm going to race it, I just want to add some more horsies for fun.

My main goal (which I've said in my other post) is that I want a car that just beats the hell out of me. I want it to bring evil smiles to everyone's faces that rides with me.

I know what the pros/cons are of each one, but I would really like to hear y'alls opinion.

So which would be better for me, Roots, Centrifugal, or Twin-Screw supercharger?
FlavorFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorFlav View Post
I'm getting a 2014 Mustang V6 pretty soon and I want to add a supercharger to it right away so it can be up to par with the GT's.

The problem is that I live in Texas, so heat is definitely a factor.

I don't think I'm going to race it, I just want to add some more horsies for fun.

My main goal (which I've said in my other post) is that I want a car that just beats the hell out of me. I want it to bring evil smiles to everyone's faces that rides with me.

I know what the pros/cons are of each one, but I would really like to hear y'alls opinion.

So which would be better for me, Roots, Centrifugal, or Twin-Screw supercharger?
Christ man. How many threads are you going to start on this subject?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
+1, what is this, his 5th thread on the subject?

If you want torque down low, and the whine, go twin screw. Centrifugal is less stress on the engine I believe, and usually is great for a DD, as it still has more torque, but it isn't as soon as you mash the gas. Not sure about the roots style.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I wasn't aware we had any options other than a turbo or procharger...😳😳

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Big_red502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_red502 View Post
I wasn't aware we had any options other than a turbo or procharger...😳😳

Actually, for V6's. I think those are the only options, a procharger (isn't that a centrifugal? ), or a turbo.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was thinking.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

procharger makes a centrifugal if I'm not mistaken
Old 06-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

But other than procharger no other company offers a supercharger

Old 06-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavorFlav View Post
procharger makes a centrifugal if I'm not mistaken
That's correct, the only supercharger for V6's is the procharger centrifugal.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

By the way, how is this the same thread?
First was V8 vs V6, which was answered
Second was Turbo vs Super, which was answered
and now this.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Same topic just slightly different questions. You could have just created one thread to cover all your questions. It is what it is, I really don't care anyways lol.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Just get the 2014 V6 and you're already at the 05-10 GT level. Think of the money you just saved!

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 05:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
This is a quick way to reach 50 posts lol
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
JDM
Registered Member
Regular

I wasn't aware that anyone made a supercharger for the 2014 V6. The last time I checked the procharger was only available for 2011 & 2012.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I wasn't aware that anyone made a supercharger for the 2014 V6. The last time I checked the procharger was only available for 2011 & 2012.

11-14 used the same engine and everything.. it fits all those years.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try to understand, you just don't slap on a Supercharger or Turbo Charger. You have way to many things to do first.

Suspension (Shocks, Struts, Strut Mounts, Springs, Adj. Panhard Bar, Adj. Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Maybe Camber Plates), Exhaust (Headers, Catted X-Pipe, Axlebacks), Driveshaft, Tune (Remove Speed limiter), CAI and Wheels and Tires.

That's just a start. Depending on whether you do your own work, around $8,000 to $9,500.

Now all the things you have to do with building your engine. Another $7,500 more or less.

Did I miss anything?

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Try to understand, you just don't slap on a Supercharger or Turbo Charger. You have way to many things to do first.

Suspension (Shocks, Struts, Strut Mounts, Springs, Adj. Panhard Bar, Adj. Rear Lower and Upper Control Arms, Maybe Camber Plates), Exhaust (Headers, Catted X-Pipe, Axlebacks), Driveshaft, Tune (Remove Speed limiter), CAI and Wheels and Tires.

That's just a start. Depending on whether you do your own work, around $8,000 to $9,500.

Now all the things you have to do with building your engine. Another $7,500 more or less.

Did I miss anything?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the refresher but I think we all took that into account. After the necessary pre-mods, which is the best.

Sent from my C6916 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Not need for all that fancy stuff, just slows ya down. Driveshaft, clutch/flywheel for the manual boys, and a tune.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #19
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Did I miss anything?

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Did I miss anything?
Yeah,you missed the fact that you don't have to have any of those things done first in order to boost your car. You can slap a blower on a completely stock ride and enjoy it.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Nothing can do a more efficient job than a screw compressor. The only true compressor of atmosphere of the 3. Alcohol Funny Cars are a great example. They are not cheap because of licensing agreements ($) with the original designer from Sweden, I think. Turbo's work best at steady rpms and the "centrifugal blower" is a just a marketing band aide to avoid the higher cost of the screw compressor. JMO.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post

Did I miss anything?

Did I miss anything?
You forgot new lug nuts and a shorty antenna! And don't forget to have your car painted red because its the fastest color. Lol.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Yeah,you missed the fact that you don't have to have any of those things done first in order to boost your car. You can slap a blower on a completely stock ride and enjoy it.
Yeah really! What the hell was that lol.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #23
JDM
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
11-14 used the same engine and everything.. it fits all those years.

I do stand corrected. The Procharger is now offered for 2014 V6s, but they don't offer the full kit. Unlike earlier yrs., the 2014 is a tuner kit, requiring a Dyno. The others are available as bolt on & go. When I first got my 2014, last year they did not offer any option from Procharger.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If your going to buy a V6 and immediately want GT power why not just buy a GT? I don't see the point in buying a brand new car, spending 5-8 k in parts which will void the warranty when you could just spend 7 k more and get a GT with the power levels your wanting and retain your warranty. I drive a V6 so I'm one of those 5.0 of nothing guys. I love it as far as the balance of power, fuel economy for DD. But from a practical standpoint it really doesn't make much sense.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Sure it makes sense

The OP wants a blown six.
That's what he wants so that's whet he needs to get.
All he needs is the SC and a drive shaft and he will have what he wants.
Having a choice and building what you want is what we call hot rodding and is what Americans have been doing for years.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
Nothing can do a more efficient job than a screw compressor. The only true compressor of atmosphere of the 3. Alcohol Funny Cars are a great example. They are not cheap because of licensing agreements ($) with the original designer from Sweden, I think. Turbo's work best at steady rpms and the "centrifugal blower" is a just a marketing band aide to avoid the higher cost of the screw compressor. JMO.

Yes and no on the centrifugal. They have a major benefit: easy to inter cool with an air to air unit.

The only option for a twin screw is to do an air to water unit. Its not as easy to install and requires more parts that can possibly fail. There are examples of remote mount twin screws, but I haven't seen one since the 3.8 Tbirds. Whipple's sound amazing though.

I've owned two Grand Prixs, both 3.8 supercharged and one with a decent list of mods. Everything has its up and downs, but I'd go turbo or whipple, in that order if given the choice.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

The 3.7 is a 60* crank, not a 90* like the 5.0. There isnt enough room in the valley for a twin screw style blower. Your only options are Procharger or turbo.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang