Bama Race tune as DD - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Bama Race tune as DD

I always hear people say they don't like to run bamas race tune for their DD mustang . But I never heard anybody say why? Just curious for opinions

2013 Black 3.7 V6
_nathannnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Actually alot do. It's just more aggressive shifting. Most of the power is up top on the Race tune. 3500 rpm and above. Alot of guys are starting to run there hybrid tune which is a combo of the street & Race tune.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm running the bamas performance tune and I haven't really noticed much other than better mpg, doesn't feel much more powerful. I might have to try out the race

2013 Black 3.7 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Race tune has a greater throttle response.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Bama's tunes are conservative so your not gonna see alot of change performance wise. Even after data logging I felt like there tunes weren't that great. I'm with MPT now. MUCH better!

Old 06-28-2014, 09:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Dang I wish I would've heard about MPT, since I just paid for bamas. Hopefully that race tune will be more aggressive

2013 Black 3.7 V6
Old 06-28-2014, 09:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Bama is a canned tune. Not "custom" like they advertise.

They are good for the guy on a budget IMO

But the questions they ask, are already in the SCT program itself. It's like multiple choice for them basically

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'm going to wait until I have fully broken in the gears before I go to MPT but thats where I'm headed tune wise!
Old 06-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderfreak145 View Post
I'm going to wait until I have fully broken in the gears before I go to MPT but thats where I'm headed tune wise!
????????????? Wtf, please excuse my ignorance, but the way I broke my new gears in was with a 5,000 rpm clutch drop in first shifting at 7800 through 4th

Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I drive with the race tune daily ~80 miles round trip for work. It's perfectly fine, as it's been said before Bama is on the conservative side. I actually just got my MPT tune, it's a little bit more aggressive but definitely nothing crazy.

I want to try Lund, but there's only so much a canned tune can do. If you want to see some craziness happen: A good old Dyno tune is the way to go.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
????????????? Wtf, please excuse my ignorance, but the way I broke my new gears in was with a 5,000 rpm clutch drop in first shifting at 7800 through 4th

Haha I'm scared, giving it 300 miles before I go ALL OUT
Old 06-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe MPT will be my next choice! Everybody that has both bama & MPT seem to love MPT much more

2013 Black 3.7 V6
Old 06-29-2014, 09:03 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderfreak145 View Post
Haha I'm scared, giving it 300 miles before I go ALL OUT
I got my gears done from a place called mustang direct, they do gears almost daily, only Stang's, and told me to give 200kms of regular driving before going all out. Its been 3 months and they are as quiet as the OEM 2.73s were. Couldn't be happier! What's 200km to ensure yourself of no whine or gear noise for the years that you be owning your car. Good choice in waiting IMO.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Bama Race tune as DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nathannnn View Post
Maybe MPT will be my next choice! Everybody that has both bama & MPT seem to love MPT much more

2013 Black 3.7 V6

They are very good. Yes MPT is a email tune company just like everyone else but what I love about them is the fact they will do data logging with you and give you tune revisions for bolt-ons you do for up to six months after you buy your tunes. Now I know other companies have tune for life programs but I felt like Bama's customer service was not that good and they never explain to me what the data log recorded. A dyno tune is probably best but I feel like they don't take into account the actual conditions you will be driving in. MPT has you use your tuner and a laptop hooked up to your stang and you datalog with a third gear pull. More realistic imo. It takes more time then one and done at the dyno as your emailing back and fourth with MPT. I love the tunes tho.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Bama Race tune as DD

Delete...Double post
Old 06-29-2014, 05:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hello guys. i have a bama tuner on my SCT question : im suppose have 3 different stage ?? Because I can only download the 87 S let me know for contact Bama

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
blackout2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I always hear people say they don't like to run bamas race tune for their DD mustang . But I never heard anybody say why? Just curious for opinions

2013 Black 3.7 V6
Nathan-It's going to be slightly more aggressive on the throttle response. Some think that it's a little too sensitive around town but I think it's just right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Actually alot do. It's just more aggressive shifting. Most of the power is up top on the Race tune. 3500 rpm and above. Alot of guys are starting to run there hybrid tune which is a combo of the street & Race tune.
The Hybrid tune is not something that we're offering anymore. To clear the air on this and explain what it was is that we had customers that wanted to see characteristics and aspects of one tune, merged with another thus and the term "hybrid" was created on the forums.

Quote:
I'm running the bamas performance tune and I haven't really noticed much other than better mpg, doesn't feel much more powerful. I might have to try out the race 2013 Black 3.7 V6
Definitely give the race tune a try!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout2012 View Post
Hello guys. i have a bama tuner on my SCT question : im suppose have 3 different stage ?? Because I can only download the 87 S let me know for contact Bama
If you would like to speak with a tuner shoot them a call at 888.226.9764 and we'll get you set up!
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Why are you not offering the hybrid tune anymore. From what I have heard, that is the only one people really like from bama.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:46 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yea i will and let u know

Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

I loaded the Bama 87 on my car this past Tuesday and finally got out driving it this weekend. A few thoughts

1. The car does seem to be more responsive when taking off from a stop.

2. When I was on the interstate and punched the gas pedal the car really took off but not sure if it was wishful thinking on my part.

3. I think I felt the car downshift hard into one of the lower gears when slowing down for a stop.

Overall I like it and will give this tune about 3 or 4 months try before I try the next higher tune.

My car is a weekend and road trip driver only.

Kevin
2011 V-6 convertible.

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

K. Just spoke to Bama and ask about how many setting im suppose to have they said 3 so have wait they will send a new tune of 3 after give all my info

Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Bama's tunes are conservative so your not gonna see alot of change performance wise. Even after data logging I felt like there tunes weren't that great. I'm with MPT now. MUCH better!

Adding my H93 Bama Tune to my 3.7 is like night and day compared to the stock tume. My car's performance has improved a lot. The Bama Tune was well worth the investment.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Well i just try the 87 s tune and is nothing special

Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Well i just try the 87 s tune and is nothing special

Well what do you expect, you are running their least powerful tune (street) with the lowest octane available. Get a 93 race tune and you will see better gains.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. Is what i always put good gas but want try the R tune with my new Nitrous

Old 06-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #26
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
Why are you not offering the hybrid tune anymore. From what I have heard, that is the only one people really like from bama.
Good Question. Bama is a living and breathing thing; As we receive more comments and feedback on their tunes, we're here to send it in their direction so they understand what our customers are after. More and more customers were asking for the hybrid under the assumption it was some super tune where in actuality it was an amalgamation, or one large mixed bag of a few key points and variables from one tune, like where the power comes on from the performance tune, with the throttle response of the race tune and forced into another. Sorry that's a little convoluted but it was essentially a tune that had aspects of both the performance and race tune.

Quote:
K. Just spoke to Bama and ask about how many setting im suppose to have they said 3 so have wait they will send a new tune of 3 after give all my info
Glad to hear that they're getting you set up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
Adding my H93 Bama Tune to my 3.7 is like night and day compared to the stock tume. My car's performance has improved a lot. The Bama Tune was well worth the investment.
It definitely is! I have a 3V Bullitt with almost every bolt on imaginable-You guys run laps around and put car lengths on my car!

Quote:
Well i just try the 87 s tune and is nothing special Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Once you get everything definitely get into the race tune! You wont be disappointed!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 06-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I uave to say I am very content with my 87 Street. I was running a 91 Race tune for months then the 91 Hybrid and now I'm running the 87 street. I did request a slightly more advanced version with Race tune throttle response and I do notice a difference compared to the previous 87 Street I was running. Although my MPG Avg apprears to have gone down the tubes. Ive been very moderate with my driving and it still reads 16.4 mpg. All in all im content. I would like to see if I could get away with shortty headers here in Massachusetts and see how much power im putting down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Good Question. Bama is a living and breathing thing; As we receive more comments and feedback on their tunes, we're here to send it in their direction so they understand what our customers are after. More and more customers were asking for the hybrid under the assumption it was some super tune where in actuality it was an amalgamation, or one large mixed bag of a few key points and variables from one tune, like where the power comes on from the performance tune, with the throttle response of the race tune and forced into another. Sorry that's a little convoluted but it was essentially a tune that had aspects of both the performance and race tune.

Alex
Alex; the original question was "Why are you not offering the hybrid tune anymore?", but you didn't quite answer it. Could you please tell us why the Hybrid Bama tune is no longer offered? The Hybrid tune was the main reason I was going to go with Bama, now I'm not so sure. Thanks for you help on this
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Well guys i run the tunes 87 S but use a 91 gas and i just want see the 91 R tunes how is with my nitrous system of course update from Bama

Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Well guys i run the tunes 87 S but use a 91 gas and i just want see the 91 R tunes how is with my nitrous system of course update from Bama

Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #31
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
Alex; the original question was "Why are you not offering the hybrid tune anymore?", but you didn't quite answer it. Could you please tell us why the Hybrid Bama tune is no longer offered? The Hybrid tune was the main reason I was going to go with Bama, now I'm not so sure. Thanks for you help on this
Hey! 100% My fault and I didn't meant for my response to come off convuluted in any way. We received so many requests for this that we decided to pick the best aspects from what this tune was and have them merged into our current Street, Performance, and Race tunes. Rest assured the tunes will make your car come alive and I don't want you to be hung up on this hybrid business! Let me know if you have any other questions and if you don't have our discount code shoot me a PM!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Hey! 100% My fault and I didn't meant for my response to come off convuluted in any way. We received so many requests for this that we decided to pick the best aspects from what this tune was and have them merged into our current Street, Performance, and Race tunes. Rest assured the tunes will make your car come alive and I don't want you to be hung up on this hybrid business! Let me know if you have any other questions and if you don't have our discount code shoot me a PM!

Alex
Alex;
Thanks for your informative response and that all makes perfect sense. To be clear, I wasn't "hung up on this hybrid business", but what interested me about it, and made it fairly popular, is the hybrid tune appeared to have the best of the 3 tunes in a single tune - easier to deal with - one tune and you're done. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up for us
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Alex
So........ should I replace my current Hybrid 93 tune? Is there a better option now available?
Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
... I would like to see if I could get away with shortty headers here in Massachusetts and see how much power im putting down.
What's the concern for shortys in Mass? I just installed BBKs on my new '04 with the understanding that they were 50 state legal and didn't cause any problems.
I did them first and have an automatic so can't say I've noticed much of anything yet. (I'm in Mass!)
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:34 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post

From what don told me at bama, they were putting the hybrid aspects into the basic race tune. So the race tune is the hybrid essentially

The original... Boss 227!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang