New owner with some doubts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #1

Region: Maryland
Question New owner with some doubts

Hello everyone, I am a new user, as well as a new owner of a '14 v6 and I've had it for just under 3 months. Love the car and it's a blast to drive but I have some reservations about when I bought the car.

When I was searching, I tried to find the best deal possible, combing autotrader and different ford dealer sites to find a good price. I then came across Truecar and after going through the process I got quoted at about $20K including the 102a package, rear sensing security, and manual transmission.

When I got to the dealer with quote in hand, I got introduced to the car, test drove it for about 10 minutes and then that's when things got a little weird. When they did the truecar process again to verify, the price was about the same if I remember but then they said that they couldn't do that price because the car in question had the 3.31 LSD. They then continued with the price and everything and if I remember correctly the OTD price was about 23K. I immediately pointed out the change in price and asked why a $395 part make the price jump over $2k.

They then pointed out that that included title, tax, tags, and delivery. But I thought the Truecar price included tax and such. After a bit of hassling from the sales manager to tried to strongarm me, I got down to $22,571 otd.

I love the car, I really do. But can't shake the feeling that I could have done much better if I held my ground (first time buying a car). I tried doing the truecar process again and edmunds and both sites quoted me with all the same extras that my car has, at around 20k. I don't know if it includes fees.

Long story short: did I overpay or did I get a fair price (I'm not looking to fleece them or break records)

Sorry for such a long first post, this car has been great to me in the short time that I've had it so far, but this has been sitting in the back of my mind for a while now which prevents me from fully enjoying the car.
jayg20769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You love the car and thats all that matters. To me, you cant put a price on the bond me and my car have now. We are tight as butthole haha
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #3

Can't argue with that but it's nice to know. Adds to that feeling I get when I drop the pedal to the metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
You got partially hosed. Sounds like they charged you for doing the paperwork, which they have to do anyway. Title they have to do anyway. Tags? For filling out a piece of paper for a temporary plate tag? NOPE. Don't let them fool you on delivery charges. They want you to think that this is some scientific process where all they are doing is checking fluid levels, taking off the plastic from the seats and washing your car.

Try this site next time. Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com

They have a spreadsheet you can download and it's pretty good. Just plug in the numbers and it does the work for you.

Did you ever actually see the dealer's invoice for the car? This has the real numbers on what cost whats.

Hope this helps, you didn't overpay too much but next time you will be better informed.

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

You got partially hosed. Sounds like they charged you for doing the paperwork, which they have to do anyway. Title they have to do anyway. Tags? For filling out a piece of paper for a temporary plate tag? NOPE. Don't let them fool you on delivery charges. They want you to think that this is some scientific process where all they are doing is checking fluid levels, taking off the plastic from the seats and washing your car.

Try this site next time. Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com

They have a spreadsheet you can download and it's pretty good. Just plug in the numbers and it does the work for you.

Did you ever actually see the dealer's invoice for the car? This has the real numbers on what cost whats.

Hope this helps, you didn't overpay too much but next time you will be better informed.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
You purchashed the car. It is a done deal just enjoy the car.

I puchashed extended warranty and gap insurance which was about 3000 extra and I kept going back and fort if I should have but now is been 3.5 months and im glad I did.

I already have 5400 miles on my car and its nice to know I am fully covered for 76 000 miles and 5 years. Yes 3 k is alot of money but that peace of mind is great.

If you love your car that is all that matters at this point..there is no point in going back and forth about the price right now.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:36 PM   #6

Well shoot, that't not good to hear. But I'd rather know the facts than anything else. Unfortunately I did not see the invoice and even worse I let them (sales manager) back me into a corner with the Truecar quote because "agreed" for that price online and then they had the nerve to change it due to an added feature (the LSD) that wasn't requested and assumed I had to agree to that price as well.

I guess it isn't worth worrying over. Not like I can go back and demand some compensation but it does sting a little.

Coolguy I didn't even get an extended warranty
Old 06-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Not sure where the $20K came from but looking at Truecar just now and it comes up with $21,279. That DOES include destination charges but it does NOT include documentations fees (typically $300 to $400) or sales tax, registration and title. Based on the taxes in my state (Mass.) I'd say you did good.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
You can buy an extended warranty when your 3 year bumper to bumper is up.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
You got a great deal

True car or none of those places ever add in the dealers fee and state tax. That crap does add up fast and for the car you have it was a good "OUT THE DOOR PRICE"
I'm sure you will enjoy that Mustang for a long time.

Read your paper work and it should list out exactly what each thing you paid for had cost.
You will find your Maryland tax will be the highest cost after the price of the car.

$22,571 sure sounds like a great out the door deal to me.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I'll just say that you did better than me. I paid about the same but didn't get the 3.31. I still love my car, though!
ageless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
You didn't get the best deal but you didn't get a bad deal. If this was the 1st car you bought from a dealer you done real good.

enjoy and good luck and the 3.31 is worth whatever Ford charges as it makes a huge differance. 3rd gear passing moves on two lane blacktop are so much fun.....
Old 06-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I got a smoking deal on a base V6 , during the last week of March 2014 , 17,500 for the car including transportation + tax/tag transfer and no dealer fees. At that time they had a 3K rebate plus my dickering got it there and to boot 1.9 financing APR
Old 06-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

True Car dealers suck!

I know from experience that the dealers lie to True Car and when you go in for the deal, the dealer pulls the old bait-n-switch. True Car has sent me to an AutoNation dealer that only had 4 cars and none of them were what True Car said they had. If I wanted a car frorm AutoNation, they'd have to order it!

True Car is just a pricing guide. Don't depend on TC for a solid deal maker.

I simply Googled "New Mustang" and I found a semi-local dealer that advertised "Internet Pricing", so I entered my requirements. Almost immediately, I received a reply stating they had exactly what I wanted. So, I drove up to Lake Worth. (30 miles)

The Lake Worth dealer had no less than 70 Mustangs on the lot. We drove around to find the color I wanted. My base, 3.7, with automatic, was $18,900 and they gave me exactly what I wanted for my trade-in. This deal was far better than the True Car bull that was posted on the AutoNation site.

Shop around. Buyer beware!
Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Always just way better to go to the dealer

All of these deal makers need to be paid. They sure don't do this for free. The dealers give them a kickback if you actually buy a car.
You are better to just go to a dealer, Find a salesperson and make your own deal.

jayg20769 got a good deal. When you have no trade you have to pay the tax on the full price of the car. He lives in Maryland and the tax is high there. Tags are not cheap either. Now when he ever trades the Mustang in he will only pay tax on the difference.
It looks like the sales tax is 6%
Title is $50.00
Registration is $10.00
Tags $128 to $180 depending on the particular car.

It seems he did get the car for around $20,000 dollars.Add in some dealer fees and he probably got it for a little less.

Jay, How much was your actual Window sticker price???
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:09 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I think you got a pretty good deal. I got mine for 21k and I had to order it from about 2k miles away and have it shipped. I would have spend around 23 if I got it local to me (Long Island is expensive).
Old 06-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

going online was better for my search.....this does not work if you have a trade, but if you know exactly what you want set up an alias email account and contact the internet sales department of all the dealers in your state. I was lucky and the closest dealer was the cheapest and the quickest to get back to me. Props to Hammonasset Ford in Madison CT.

Ageless, you may have paid a bit more but the Race Red is worth it!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:07 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Texas
New owner with some doubts

I paid about the same and then opted for the extended warranty. I had the PP pack as well and the 3.31s
Cise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
It sounds like you got a fair deal. I got my '12 2 months after they came out, with the 3.31 gears, appearance package, and a few other things I liked on it. Had to go to Penn. to get it (I live on LI), since no one around me had the car exactly how I wanted it and I did not want to wait for one to be delivered. The final price was around 24-25k, maybe a little more. My dad went with me to get it (My first car, + someone had to drive the other car back), and he has bought a very good amount of cars. He was happy with the price, the dealer even gave us a free tank of gas since we were driving back to LI. If that's what we paid new, with the 3.31 gears and appearance package, etc., then what you paid after taxes+fees sounds like a good deal to me. You didn't rob them, but then again when it comes to purchasing a car that is rarely the case, and more often the other way around. Maybe you could have gotten it a few hundred bucks cheaper, bucks cheaper, but IMO you did a very good job for your first purchase.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I got my base model 14 v6 for $20,400 OTD. The car itself was $17,400, but once you add destination ($725) and CT sales tax @ 6.35%, plus license plate and registration fees, that "deal" fades away fast. I bought my car in VA because none of the CT dealers would play ball. Also, CT charges tax on the total cost of the car BEFORE rebates, which jacked the tax mans take quite a bit.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You did really good. This is about what I spent, but I got no packages of any kind. Just the base model.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
blp12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang