Borla exhaust problems - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Borla exhaust problems

Has anyone on here ever had to have something warrantied from borla? If so how long did it take to get your issues resolved. Reason for asking is that I installed a set of their touring axle backs of my car. Now when it warms up the driver side makes a bad vibration high pitched sound from 3-3500 rpms. I contacted them 3 weeks ago and they said they would build and ship a replacement out to me with in a week. As of this coming Wednesday it will be 3 weeks since I first contacted them. And the guy I talked to today said it still hasn't been shipped. At this point I'm bout ready to say screw it and sell this crap and go with something different. Sorry for the rant but for what I paid for this kit I would have expected better service.
ocmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocmustang View Post
Has anyone on here ever had to have something warrantied from borla? If so how long did it take to get your issues resolved. Reason for asking is that I installed a set of their touring axle backs of my car. Now when it warms up the driver side makes a bad vibration high pitched sound from 3-3500 rpms. I contacted them 3 weeks ago and they said they would build and ship a replacement out to me with in a week. As of this coming Wednesday it will be 3 weeks since I first contacted them. And the guy I talked to today said it still hasn't been shipped. At this point I'm bout ready to say screw it and sell this crap and go with something different. Sorry for the rant but for what I paid for this kit I would have expected better service.
I have the same issue, it happens in cold start. Do you have to return the old one in? Do you have a number by any chance? I may give them a call too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:02 PM   #3

Just call borla and talk to their warranty department. They'll want a receipt date of purchase and pictures of the part. I still have the old part on my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #4

Region: Virginia
I think I just eliminated one of my choices for new axle backs!
bscorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscorey View Post
I think I just eliminated one of my choices for new axle backs!
This is the first I've ever heard of any issue with Borla axle backs. You may be jumping the gun by eliminating them from your future choices. Go see and hear some on a Mustang before you decide
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Yikes! I thought we paid big $$$ for borla because of quality, then to only hear that your STILL waiting on a replacement to be sent out to you!? Yep I might cross them of my list also. Now I'm starting to believe they are waaaay over priced for what your actually getting and then being dicked around on a replacement. These are not 300$ mufflers!!!!! For ****s sake they shouldn't have to "build" a new one for you......open up a box and ship it out right away! Don't they also back there products with a "million mile warranty"? I hope they get this straightened out for you asap.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:11 PM   #7

I love the sound of these mufflers until they warm up, and I don't mind waiting for a replacement. But don't tell me I'll have a replacement in a week every time I call. I've only got 2k miles on this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-01-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Mine have been doing it for more than a year now. Think it's a problem with our Mustang muffler mounts.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #9

I don't think it's the mounts on my car. I put the factory exhaust back on and the problem went away.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm. I've just heard of this issue for years with different brands of mufflers. It does suck though.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I love the sound of these mufflers until they warm up, and I don't mind waiting for a replacement. But don't tell me I'll have a replacement in a week every time I call. I've only got 2k miles on this car.

+1, that's bad customer service IMO! They were my next exhaust, I love the sound they put out but a company that doesn't put customer service as a number one priority won't get my hard earned money. Borla needs to step up to the plate and take care of you!

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

When I contacted Borla they had great customer service, but it was just for a few questions.

I think I know of the rattle you're talking about now. Had that problem in very first week like you, all it took was a little dremel tool to shorten the hanger on the muffler, it was a little too long and under heat, would extend and hit the rear fascia sheet metal.

The problem I'm having now may not be Borla-related.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
When I contacted Borla they had great customer service, but it was just for a few questions.

I think I know of the rattle you're talking about now. Had that problem in very first week like you, all it took was a little dremel tool to shorten the hanger on the muffler, it was a little too long and under heat, would extend and hit the rear fascia sheet metal.

The problem I'm having now may not be Borla-related.

My borla sound beast! I love them.. But then again I am not hearing this rattle :/ what's happening with your ride stangs?

If I were in your shoes.. I'd just wait out to receive your replacement.. If you really didn't like the product get ur cash back if not just reinstall.. It's a good exhaust IMO
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #14

I'm not doubting it's a good product. That's why I bought it to begin with. All the reviews and sound clips I heard where great. I just really expected more from customer service. Instead I get a guy on the phone that sounded like he didn't give a dam. And told me I couldn't get my money back and that I would just have to wait for the replacement.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not doubting it's a good product. That's why I bought it to begin with. All the reviews and sound clips I heard where great. I just really expected more from customer service. Instead I get a guy on the phone that sounded like he didn't give a dam. And told me I couldn't get my money back and that I would just have to wait for the replacement.

Wow that does stink lol.. Just don't install and re sell? I havnt dealt with their customer service.. I guess which is for the best lol hopefully this new borla will work better for you..
Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I can understand that they can't refund a used product, I get that, but they should get a replacement out right away! Hell at one point I had three GT 500 spoilers at my home from AM, the first one was received damaged from UPS and they set out another one same day with a return slip. I then received the second one that had some minor paint defects and they sent me out a third, again same day, and told me to just send the two back at the same time when I received the second return slip with the third spoiler so it wouldn't inconvenience me?!!! That's fantastic customer service and is why I'll always pay the Canada shipping to get all my stuff from them, no questions asked! Its a shame that borla can't do the same for its customers. I can completely understand your frustration.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

FastFord13 you've got a great point and I wish all companies could be like AM, but IMO its just something big monopolist companies like AM can do and need to do. They probably have the most customers out of any aftermarket company, but that means they have the most customers calling in with potential problems. Well, they have to deal with that somehow. They've got the money, so they may be able to spend a little more or trust their customers a little more (like sending them same-day replacements).

For example, I had to return a part to Steeda and a part to LMR today. LMR provided me with a free shipping label (as does AM). Steeda could only offer me a 10% restocking fee rather than a 20% restocking fee, but I still had to pay $11 for a shipping label. LMR being a larger company than Steeda (selling more than just Steeda parts), were able to give me slightly better customer service.

I believe its all where the company stands or is 'tiered'.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stangz View Post
FastFord13 you've got a great point and I wish all companies could be like AM, but IMO its just something big monopolist companies like AM can do and need to do. They probably have the most customers out of any aftermarket company, but that means they have the most customers calling in with potential problems. Well, they have to deal with that somehow. They've got the money, so they may be able to spend a little more or trust their customers a little more (like sending them same-day replacements).

For example, I had to return a part to Steeda and a part to LMR today. LMR provided me with a free shipping label (as does AM). Steeda could only offer me a 10% restocking fee rather than a 20% restocking fee, but I still had to pay $11 for a shipping label. LMR being a larger company than Steeda (selling more than just Steeda parts), were able to give me slightly better customer service.

I believe its all where the company stands or is 'tiered'.
Well said. I think you hit the nail on the head there

Old 07-02-2014, 08:49 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
OP: Why not go to the Better Business Bureau (www.bbb.org) and look up Borla, then submit a complaint. The BBB will contact Borla and you will get a response. Usually, this gets a company's interest immediatly as they want to keep a clean BBB status. Either that or you can call Borla customer service again and tell them you want to escalate the issue and firmly ask to speak with the manager. Tell them you plan on submitting a claim with BBB. Borla is a good company, but even with the best of them, they have to be hit over the head once in a while to remind them that the customer comes first. I understand you're upset, so do something about it. Personally, I would have been on the phone every day after the first week and on to the BBB after the second week. Trust me, there are very few companies that have good customer service, let alone great customer service like AM. The price of the product has absolutely no bearing on subsequent customer service, it's just the way of the world. Just my 2 cents and I hope it all works out for you
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #20

Region: Virginia
Thinking I just might go with Roush. Wanted to go with Corsa especially for the new black tips but I'm not sure it's worth the extra $. Thinking of the Roush and black chroming the tips with the Shadow kit from dupli-color.
bscorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Op, any updates with borla?

Old 07-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #22

Nothing. Still waiting.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Damn! How long had it been now?

Old 07-02-2014, 04:11 PM   #24

Borla exhaust problems

3 weeks and counting today.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
3 weeks and counting today.

Get in touch with the Better Businsess Bureau as I mentioned above.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #26

Just got home today from the deer lease to find my replacement muffler sitting on the back porch. Got it swapped out and the sound is gone. Put about 15 miles on it and various rpms with no unwanted noise coming from the exhaust.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just got home today from the deer lease to find my replacement muffler sitting on the back porch. Got it swapped out and the sound is gone. Put about 15 miles on it and various rpms with no unwanted noise coming from the exhaust.

Good to hear everything was resolved
Old 07-06-2014, 04:46 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good stuff! Glad the issue has been resolved.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust