MAC shorty headers legal in NY? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
MAC shorty headers legal in NY?

Are the MAC shorty headers legal/will I pass inspection in NY? I much prefer them over the BBK, but if they cannot pass inspection then I cannot get them. I have heard such horrible things about BBK that I will not get them, so its MAC or bust, depending on if they are legal in NY. Any info. is welcome, thank you!
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well they are not carb compliant only the BBK are.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Yeah thats the good thing about BBK's is that they are 50 state legal.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So if they aren't carb complaint they won't pass emissions? Sounds like BBk is my only choice . Thanks for the responses guys, the emissions laws confuse me
Old 07-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

They will pass the sniffer test they won't pass a visual test. Not sure if they have that up there but when you swap parts they have to have a CARB number on it.

What kinda tests do they do in NY?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
Old 07-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

NYS DMV - (Brochure) New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks

I don't know how much I was exempt from when I got mine done when I moved here in October (because I didn't fully read the info), but with BBKs, I passed just fine. Don't know of the differences between BBK and MAC though.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
So if they aren't carb complaint they won't pass emissions? Sounds like BBk is my only choice . Thanks for the responses guys, the emissions laws confuse me
That's not necessarily true. Both Mass. and NY are states that follow the CARB requirements but I know in Mass. (my experiences and asking some inspection stations) they don't look at CAI like California does.
You may want to ask around (dealers, inspection stations, other Mustang owners) if they have any experience with the MAC Shorty Headers.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
That's not necessarily true. Both Mass. and NY are states that follow the CARB requirements but I know in Mass. (my experiences and asking some inspection stations) they don't look at CAI like California does.
You may want to ask around (dealers, inspection stations, other Mustang owners) if they have any experience with the MAC Shorty Headers.
Wait I just moved to Mass from Cali and am looking to get some BBK SHORTYS installed. You telling me they inspect emissions here?
Old 07-08-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Wait I just moved to Mass from Cali and am looking to get some BBK SHORTYS installed. You telling me they inspect emissions here?
Yup!
Inspection station connects to the OBD system for an emissions test.
See the following sites for detail info.
Massachusetts Smog Check and Car Inspection | DMV.org
Massachusetts Vehicle Check
There should be no problem with a BBK Shorty.

So I take it you haven't got a Mass registration yet. Once you do you are required to get a Safety/emissions sticker within 7 days. They just went up to $35.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What I was trying to say was that unlike California, Mass Inspections typically don't even open the hood or look for non CARB components. So as long as it meets the OBD emissions test, which it should with just a shorty added, your good.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What I was trying to say was that unlike California, Mass Inspections typically don't even open the hood or look for non CARB components. So as long as it meets the OBD emissions test, which it should with just a shorty added, your good.
This is true.. They don't open the hood here in mass when they do the inspection as long as there is no check engine light and you pass the obd test then you should be fine. I have Mac shorty and Im due for inspection at September but from the last inspections I got they never open the hood.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yikes...well I'm currently running a BAMA Street tune...would that affect anything?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yikes...well I'm currently running a BAMA Street tune...would that affect anything?
What usually do is I put the car back on stock for 1 week before the inspection and I have no problem and I run Mpt 93 octane tune.
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone from NY with headers that could chime in on what's passable for emissions?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anyone from NY with headers that could chime in on what's passable for emissions?
I believe the question is, Anyone from NY with MAC Shorty Headers.
They are obviously not CARB approved, which which means they may or may not meet emmissions standards.
And the other concern is does NY look for NON-CARB approved components?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe the question is, Anyone from NY with MAC Shorty Headers.
They are obviously not CARB approved, which which means they may or may not meet emmissions standards.
And the other concern is does NY look for NON-CARB approved components?
I think that they CAN look but they normally do not as long as you don't have a check engine light on. Will you always have a check engine light on with the MAC shorty headers? Since the BBKs are carb-compliant I assume I can have those on no problem in NY. I have heard not-so-good things about the quality of the BBK's sometimes shipped and the MAC's are on sale for $25 sell on AM right now
Old 07-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think that they CAN look but they normally do not as long as you don't have a check engine light on. Will you always have a check engine light on with the MAC shorty headers? Since the BBKs are carb-compliant I assume I can have those on no problem in NY. I have heard not-so-good things about the quality of the BBK's sometimes shipped and the MAC's are on sale for $25 sell on AM right now
I assume that's $250.
Will you always have a check engine light on with the MAC shorty headers? That's a good question but I couldn't find anything on that subject. If the BBK's passed in CA they should pass in any state.
I have also read some bad things about BBK (as well as MAC). I lucked out with my BBK ceramics at $342 from autoanything.com. The quality was excellent. Surfaces nice and flat and true.
Their chrome BBK's are $285 and I'm not sure but if you are a new customer you can usually get a pretty good discount. (Like maybe 15%)
But I don't want to influence you in any way. Just putting it out there for you.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I assume that's $250.
Will you always have a check engine light on with the MAC shorty headers? That's a good question but I couldn't find anything on that subject. If the BBK's passed in CA they should pass in any state.
I have also read some bad things about BBK (as well as MAC). I lucked out with my BBK ceramics at $342 from autoanything.com. The quality was excellent. Surfaces nice and flat and true.
Their chrome BBK's are $285 and I'm not sure but if you are a new customer you can usually get a pretty good discount. (Like maybe 15%)
But I don't want to influence you in any way. Just putting it out there for you.
Meant to type $25 off for their sale lol, I have a credit at AM so it would be cheaper from them. Thanks for the info. I had not heard of autoanything.com I am checking them out. I would be going with chrome over ceramic, just for the price difference and hoping I get a good pair. My friend has chrome headers and I love the rainbow color they get after a bit, some hate it I like it. I will probably end up going with the BBK's despite the number of bad reviews people have given it just because they seem like the only option for me. I am not tuned yet, but I'm hoping that they will make SOME difference (I have a Ford racing x-pipe and an Airaid CAI). I assume even without a tuner the combination of those 3 parts (x pipe, headers, CAI) I will still get about 10 HP and a decent amount of TQ, since its advertised 30-40 HP/TQ with all 3 and a tune.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Meant to type $25 off for their sale lol, I have a credit at AM so it would be cheaper from them. Thanks for the info. I had not heard of autoanything.com I am checking them out. I would be going with chrome over ceramic, just for the price difference and hoping I get a good pair. My friend has chrome headers and I love the rainbow color they get after a bit, some hate it I like it. I will probably end up going with the BBK's despite the number of bad reviews people have given it just because they seem like the only option for me. I am not tuned yet, but I'm hoping that they will make SOME difference (I have a Ford racing x-pipe and an Airaid CAI). I assume even without a tuner the combination of those 3 parts (x pipe, headers, CAI) I will still get about 10 HP and a decent amount of TQ, since its advertised 30-40 HP/TQ with all 3 and a tune.
Well I wish you luck!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well I wish you luck!
Thank you! And thanks for all the help and info. !
Old 07-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Why would the shorty headers give you a check engine light?

They don't.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Why would the shorty headers give you a check engine light?

They don't.
+1 no cel

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't know if they would or not, just wanted to make sure because in NY they auto fail you, check under your hood and check your cat's extensively if you have a check engine light on.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The "sniffer" test, at least here in Texas, is just checking the recorded AFR from the O2 sensor. As long as that is within spec, you will pass. I have taken cars in that are catless on E85 and passed because my AFR was in a realm they wanted to see. Service station guys typically aren't the brightest bunch (no offense...), they typically just plug it in and send you on your way.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:11 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I passed today. 87 Street Bama tune and the guys didn't pop the hood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have headers and are you in NY?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Good point grabber good point. Thanks for the tips though guys. Also coming from California if NY is anything similar you will NOT pass regardless of CARB or not. They do visuals and if it doesn't look stock they won't test you. (Just trying to add something of use to the thread.)

Old 07-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Good point grabber good point. Thanks for the tips though guys. Also coming from California if NY is anything similar you will NOT pass regardless of CARB or not. They do visuals and if it doesn't look stock they won't test you. (Just trying to add something of use to the thread.)

Was just asking, didn't know if you had them or if you were in NY or not lol. Cali is really similar to NY I believe. I would prefer to not have to do a 6 hour install once a year for emissions, so that may rule headers out for me. Still hoping someone with headers from NY can chime in on here.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Was just asking, didn't know if you had them or if you were in NY or not lol. Cali is really similar to NY I believe. I would prefer to not have to do a 6 hour install once a year for emissions, so that may rule headers out for me. Still hoping someone with headers from NY can chime in on here.
BBK's would definitely pass. They are CARB approved and passed California emissions.
The MAC would probably pass but are not CARB approved.
Fintile just moved to Mass and was concerned about extent of checking.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
BBK's would definitely pass. They are CARB approved and passed California emissions.
The MAC would probably pass but are not CARB approved.
Fintile just moved to Mass and was concerned about extent of checking.
Looks like I'll have to go with BBK's. Now are the gains from the BBKs worth the 6 hour annoying install and $285.....
Grats on passing fintile!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
What sucks about some of this stuff is that even though its not CARB approved it will pass the sniffer. On the other hand it wont pass a visual. Here in Cali. if you dont have a CARB sticker or number...no bueno!! Cops here get extensive training on all this stuff to, so if you get caught they can impound your vehicle.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
What sucks about some of this stuff is that even though its not CARB approved it will pass the sniffer. On the other hand it wont pass a visual. Here in Cali. if you dont have a CARB sticker or number...no bueno!! Cops here get extensive training on all this stuff to, so if you get caught they can impound your vehicle.
And to pass the CARB you gotta pay them thousands and thousands of dollars to have the exemptions. If an item doesn't have that it doesn't mean it will throw a CEL or not pass a sniffer test.

Now if they have a visual inspection where they check to see if you have changed headers, cold air intake, off road mid pipe then they will probably look to see if they are CARB exempt.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Also in Cali they will still impound you just because they feel like it. Had it happen to a couple buddies and all of their aftermarket is CARB certified and everything but the cops still impounded their cars. I was their for one and it was because the cop felt it was a forgery and couldn't find the carb serial number.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also in Cali they will still impound you just because they feel like it. Had it happen to a couple buddies and all of their aftermarket is CARB certified and everything but the cops still impounded their cars. I was their for one and it was because the cop felt it was a forgery and couldn't find the carb serial number.

Here in Mass. I don't think the cops nor the officials at the inspection stations even know what CARB approved means.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know lol, I got some BBK on the way would like them installed by the 1st

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang