Buying a used fleet/rental? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you buy a used car from me you are lucky, I treat my stuff like fragile museum pieces. Rentals on the other hand, I dont give a dam about.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Sorry Grabber, I didn't mean it in a negative way, I should have wrote it like this, I don't know how about you but I'm ocd about mine........lol. Sorry again bro.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

No problem, just clarifying that I am like you when it comes to taking care of the kids...lol.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red89 View Post
I think each vehicle stands on its own. Most of us enthusiasts have the ability to access a car and it's wear patterns. We all know what to look for. My '89 GT was used and abused horribly and that didn't come from the previous owner being honest, it came from my going over the car from top to bottom. I can't imagine that my '68 & '69 coupes had an easy life before I got them. Mechanical things can be repaired, cosmetic can be cleaned and wearable items will wear out. The rule should be "if it's not right, walk away". I am always happy when someone gets a new 'Stang and I would bet that not every Mustang purchase can or will be new.

There is a Ford dealer less than 50 miles from me known for having the largest Mustang inventory in the state. Their cars had higher mileage, were not Ford Certified, and were the same price as the dealer I bought my low mileage Ford Certified car at. I walked through the other lot but never even talked to a sales guy when I saw they weren't Certified.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 09:08 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Have someone you trust look at it. Any used car is a "roll the dice" to some extent. If it's too cheap.... then take that into consideration. Every situation and vehicle is different. Go with your "gut" after you have done your research and you've talked with those you can trust.
texaskilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:07 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Lots of great comments. I bought a 14 rental v6 Vert & have been very happy. It's triple black and was is good shape. With any used car there is a risk of the previous owner mistreating the car (rental or not). The good side to the rental is you'll halve greater bargaining power when it comes time for negotiations as everyone would buy a "1 owner, well cared for car" & some people would never buy a rental. When you can do what others can't you'll be rewarded (better deals on a known rental). Lastly I feel the rental companies & dealership will "over compensate" (ie. follow rigorous maintenance schedules & lower prices) to try and overcome the stigma of the rental. Good luck to you with your hunt for your Mustang!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sparky9445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Mine was a rental/fleet from ford themselves. 25k miles on a 2011 in 2012. I have now put 95,500 on it. And about to do plugs and the 100k milestone service. I'm heavily modified and still doing good. Knock on wood

The original... Boss 227!
Old 07-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Don'y forget when you go to sell, a Rental history makes the car worth less and some buyers wont even look at it. You will get less later so make sure you pay less now.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
Don'y forget when you go to sell, a Rental history makes the car worth less and some buyers wont even look at it. You will get less later so make sure you pay less now.

I would think the longer you own the car and the more miles you put on it yourself, the less impact the rental history will have on its resale.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
If you buy a used car from me you are lucky, I treat my stuff like fragile museum pieces. Rentals on the other hand, I dont give a dam about.

It's sad so many people don't care about other people's property as if it were their own, no matter who owns it. Maybe if people did care a little more, rental fees would be lower for all.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:33 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

I went through this same process when I bought my 2011 Convertible V-6. I did not want to buy a former rental car so I just took my time and searched all the normal places- CarMax, Auto Trader, local dealers with the search out to 200 miles from my house.

I finally found a locally purchased car that had been traded in to a Chevy dealer about 30 miles from my house.

What did I get 2011 black convertible, 22000 miles, loaded with all the options. Then I bought the extended warranty on the car and I am real happy I waited and I kind of enjoyed the months of searching and dreaming.

Keep looking and find the right car.

K

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2673ad View Post
Hello

I went through this same process when I bought my 2011 Convertible V-6. I did not want to buy a former rental car so I just took my time and searched all the normal places- CarMax, Auto Trader, local dealers with the search out to 200 miles from my house.

I finally found a locally purchased car that had been traded in to a Chevy dealer about 30 miles from my house.

What did I get 2011 black convertible, 22000 miles, loaded with all the options. Then I bought the extended warranty on the car and I am real happy I waited and I kind of enjoyed the months of searching and dreaming.

Keep looking and find the right car.

K
Well put, IMO when I'm spending 10-12 k on a used car I'd rather pay a little more to not get a rental, but that's just me. I don't mind cutting corners on things like light bulbs to save a few bucks but not my car.

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Buying a used fleet/rental?

Quote:
Well put, IMO when I'm spending 10-12 k on a used car I'd rather pay a little more to not get a rental, but that's just me. I don't mind cutting corners on things like light bulbs to save a few bucks but not my car.

Not sure when that last person purchased their 2011 ragtop, but you're going to need to double your budget to get a 1 year old convertible.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I was just throwing up numbers there and wasn't about a specific car, just an example.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was just throwing up numbers there and wasn't about a specific car, just an example.

Ok. Because for me it's easier to throw a little extra at it if I am looking at a 10k -12k car, but when you get up to the low to mid 20s, it's a little harder to swallow.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:54 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

K so let's say your buying a 24k its the same principal, "a little more" to not get a rental For me its even more relevant at that cost because its a much heavier investment.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:08 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
K so let's say your buying a 24k its the same principal, a little more. For me its even more relevant at that cost because its a heavier investment.

Well, my Mustang is the most expensive car I ever bought, so that was a new thing for me to begin with. I usually don't spend more than 10k on a car. I think the most I spent was 13k on an '89 LeBaron convertible back in '91, so spending this much was a new concept for me.

I'm taking care of the car and keeping up with the maintenance, next summer it will be ready for the 30,000 mile checkup since I doubt I will even get there this year. So far, not a single issue and my powertrain warranty is good until 2019 or 100,000. I also have a 4 year / 48,000 bumper to bumper still in effect, so I feel very comfortable with my decision.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

+1 and really that's what's most important!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:20 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Buying a used fleet/rental?

Quote:
+1 and really that's what's most important!

Yup! Everyone needs to do what's best for them and what they are comfortable with.

Now I'm going out to wash my car!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Yup! Everyone needs to do what's best for them and what they are comfortable with.

Now I'm going out to wash my car!

Best post about this thread!

Old 07-03-2014, 07:06 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Hello

I paid 18600 for my car in January 2014

2015 Roush RS1 Premium w PP
Roush Performance upgrade-- Tinted Windows
JLT Catch Can--Ford Racing Strut Brace
Flowmaster scavenger "Y" pipe resonator delete
b2673ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Here a rental. look at the auto check report , Ford Mustang Premium | eBay on Ebay, that is a premium price IMO ....... wow
Old 07-03-2014, 07:30 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydos View Post
Here a rental. look at the auto check report , Ford Mustang Premium | eBay on Ebay, that is a premium price IMO ....... wow

As good as that one looks, you can probably find a better deal. That's actually a higher mileage vehicle, and it is not Ford Certified. Warranty will be up sooner than you think. My car only had 12,000 miles and was a Ford Certified.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:38 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
As good as that one looks, you can probably find a better deal. That's actually a higher mileage vehicle, and it is not Ford Certified. Warranty will be up sooner than you think. My car only had 12,000 miles and was a Ford Certified.

I agree, miles a tad, been in mayor metro area as rental

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang