Buying a used fleet/rental? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Missouri
Region: Missouri
Posts: 4
Buying a used fleet/rental?

Hey guys, looking to buy my first mustang in the future and I was interested in a 2013/2014 V6 Premium. I would consider buying new but due to the lack of garage, I won't be buying until January. Unfortunately by then the 2015 models will be out and the new 2014 inventory will be cleared out. After talking to dealers and looking online almost all 2013/14 models are previous fleet/rental vehicles.

So I was looking for opinions on how bad of an idea is it to buy previous fleet/rental vehicles? Is it a horrible idea that I will come to regret? Or the difference fairly negligible? Maybe some opinions from people who work with rentals or have previously bought a rental vehicle. I really like the body style of the 2013/14 models, its definitely the one I want. I plan on upgrading parts later on down the line so maybe having some wear isn't the worse? Thanks for any input from a hopefully soon-to-be v6 mustang owner!
aap488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Toydos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Region: Other
Posts: 245
My dos centavos, if you go that route go with a Hertz ex rental from central Florida, fleet/rental cars are easy to identified there origins via Carfax. Why central Fla , roads are salt free , they are flat and well maintain , Hertz will have copy of the maintenance done on it's cars and usually have miles left on the factory warranty . Avoid rentals that come from big metropolitan areas that tend to have bad roads and heavy traffic . AND make sure you get a deal, pay trade in value By NADA price guide .
__________________
[SIGPIC] My other toy and babe
Toydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Op I wouldn't. I think people are playing with fire when purchasing rentals, it will be hit or miss.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-01-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 147
Ever heard the term "Drive it like a Rental"? Toydos makes an excellent point, do not buy a rental car from the Chicago area as an example. The abuse a car can suffer from snow, salt, potholes, and extreme weather can take its toll. Crawl underneath the car and look for excessive rust. Just remember, a Foster child passed through many hands isn't as loved as one that stays with it's original parents. I would pass unless it's extremly cheap and in perfect condition. Aren't there a ton of used Mustangs out there?
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberMeBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by aap488 View Post
Hey guys, looking to buy my first mustang in the future and I was interested in a 2013/2014 V6 Premium. I would consider buying new but due to the lack of garage, I won't be buying until January. Unfortunately by then the 2015 models will be out and the new 2014 inventory will be cleared out. After talking to dealers and looking online almost all 2013/14 models are previous fleet/rental vehicles.

So I was looking for opinions on how bad of an idea is it to buy previous fleet/rental vehicles? Is it a horrible idea that I will come to regret? Or the difference fairly negligible? Maybe some opinions from people who work with rentals or have previously bought a rental vehicle. I really like the body style of the 2013/14 models, its definitely the one I want. I plan on upgrading parts later on down the line so maybe having some wear isn't the worse? Thanks for any input from a hopefully soon-to-be v6 mustang owner!

I was totally hammered on, berated and made fun of last Summer on this forum for buying my 2012 Mustang convertible rental. It got so out of hand, the thread was finally shut down. My car was out of Florida, had 12,000 miles and was Ford Certified. Look up the warranty on Ford Certified vehicles if you don't know what that means. Stretched way out beyond the normal new car warranty. Ford certainly wouldn't do that on a car they thought would be in the dealership constantly for repairs. I have put another 13,000 miles on that car without one single issue or regret. It is stored in the Winter and I plan to have many enjoyable years out of it. It's a long time until 2019 or 100,000 miles, that's peace of mind for me.

If you wish to start the rental owner bashing all over again, please refrain. That's not what this thread is for.
__________________
2012 Grabber Blue V6 Convertible
1995 Red Trans Am Convertible
1979 Gold Trans Am
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
MustangDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lake Forest
Region: California
Posts: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I was totally hammered on, berated and made fun of last Summer on this forum for buying my 2012 Mustang convertible rental. It got so out of hand, the thread was finally shut down. My car was out of Florida, had 12,000 miles and was Ford Certified. Look up the warranty on Ford Certified vehicles if you don't know what that means. Stretched way out beyond the normal new car warranty. Ford certainly wouldn't do that on a car they thought would be in the dealership constantly for repairs. I have put another 13,000 miles on that car without one single issue or regret. It is stored in the Winter and I plan to have many enjoyable years out of it. It's a long time until 2019 or 100,000 miles, that's peace of mind for me.

If you wish to start the rental owner bashing all over again, please refrain. That's not what this thread is for.
Actually, any bashing will probably lead to this: That's no reason to be a jerk
__________________
2013 V6 Auto Premium | Sterling Gray | Pony/Comfort/Security Packages
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
Ever heard the term "Drive it like a Rental"? Toydos makes an excellent point, do not buy a rental car from the Chicago area as an example. The abuse a car can suffer from snow, salt, potholes, and extreme weather can take its toll. Crawl underneath the car and look for excessive rust. Just remember, a Foster child passed through many hands isn't as loved as one that stays with it's original parents. I would pass unless it's extremly cheap and in perfect condition. Aren't there a ton of used Mustangs out there?
+1, well said! Now a days I don't beat on rentals, but when I do have one I certainly don't give a **** about it for those couple of days, I won't be so concerned about avoiding pott holes etc, like I am with my own car. Now imagine that 2 or 3 times every week with another driver...... Nope. Not saying its impossible to get a good one just more likely that you won't. Just my 2ยข

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #8
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Missouri
Region: Missouri
Posts: 4
Thanks for input guys and really good advice Toydos.

Are the main concerns from rentals the damage from potholes and salt? I plan on getting new wheels/tires as well as upgrade the suspension. Would that neutralize the damage from driving through potholes and rough roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I have put another 13,000 miles on that car without one single issue or regret. It is stored in the Winter and I plan to have many enjoyable years out of it. It's a long time until 2019 or 100,000 miles, that's peace of mind for me.
That's encouraging to hear as it's a car I will want to take great care of and get many years out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
Aren't there a ton of used Mustangs out there?
There are tons of used Mustangs out there, but unfortunately it's very rare to find one that's not a previous rental.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Op I wouldn't. I think people are playing with fire when purchasing rentals, it will be hit or miss.
I'm just not sure what my other options are besides waiting for a private seller to list the car I want. Also I don't just want any mustang, it might seem picky but I want the 2013/14 V6 Premium in Performance White with black leather interior. So being picky will make my private seller search a little harder. It would have made it easier if they weren't changing the 2015 model.
aap488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberMeBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by aap488 View Post


There are tons of used Mustangs out there, but unfortunately it's very rare to find one that's not a previous rental.


Very true....
__________________
2012 Grabber Blue V6 Convertible
1995 Red Trans Am Convertible
1979 Gold Trans Am
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
As others have stated, it's not impossible to find a good one. Just make damn sure you do your research and be willing to travel a bit to find a good one.

Personally, I avoid them. Not only are there potholes, salt, grime, as has been said before. People rent cars and do not care what happens to it. That part alone makes me very hesitant.

If you do find some good candidates make sure they're inspected. It'll cost you a little bit of money you might not get back, but it's better than buying a lemon.
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by aap488 View Post
Thanks for input guys and really good advice Toydos.

Are the main concerns from rentals the damage from potholes and salt? I plan on getting new wheels/tires as well as upgrade the suspension. Would that neutralize the damage from driving through potholes and rough roads?



That's encouraging to hear as it's a car I will want to take great care of and get many years out of it.



There are tons of used Mustangs out there, but unfortunately it's very rare to find one that's not a previous rental.



I'm just not sure what my other options are besides waiting for a private seller to list the car I want. Also I don't just want any mustang, it might seem picky but I want the 2013/14 V6 Premium in Performance White with black leather interior. So being picky will make my private seller search a little harder. It would have made it easier if they weren't changing the 2015 model.
Your right there, that might be hard to find privately, and waiting to find one for me would be very painful. Lol.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Toydos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA
Region: Other
Posts: 245
@ aap488 ,A white Stang with black guts is a popular color combo ride in the Sunshine State , when ready to grab one, a trip to Florida might be the ticket
__________________
[SIGPIC] My other toy and babe
Toydos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
paintmann111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New London
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 549
Honestly I don't think you will have a hard time finding a 2013 non-rental when January rolls around. By then 2013 leases will have started to expire and a lot of people will probably be moving into the 2015. You should have much better luck finding a used lease/1 owner car this fall/winter.

Also remember that brake stands and burnouts are impossible on a stock 13/14 because of the computer...so at least you have that going for the used rental.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Impossible on the 13/14 auto's
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,592
You'd have to get a rental for a SCREAMING good deal honestly to even consider it. People beat the living **** out of rentals not just from driving but just being really hard on them in all aspects.

Agreed with looking for some v6 leases expiring this year. There should be a decent amount of them not to mention the ppl selling their 2011-2014 models to go to the 2015. Regardless of what enthusiasts think, Joe/Jane Schmoe just want the latest gadgets and be able to be like "omg look at my new car" even if it is a downgrade. Too many ppl gots to "keep up with the joneses", not realizing that nobody really actually cares and you can use that to your advantage whenever a new model of a popular vehicle releases.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Chicago
Region: Illinois
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Impossible on the 13/14 auto's
Aren't all rentals Automatics?
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Just because its an auto doesn't immune it from a possible beating. Yes you can't brake stand them now but in my younger years they were also all autos, and they got beat just the same. Lol

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
mustangz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Virginia
Region: Virginia
Posts: 4,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Just because its an auto doesn't immune it from a possible beating. Yes you can't brake stand them now but in my younger years they were also all autos, and they got beat just the same. Lol

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Oh I agree, I beat on mine and drive it how its meant to be driven, just pointing out that you can't do a brake stand on the 13/14 auto's without a tune.
__________________
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Red89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 68
AAP488,

A few months ago I purchased a 2011 V6 premium automatic rental. Car fax confirmed 12 month rental and a 2 year private owner. Mileage was high @ 49,000 but the car was an early production put in service in late '10. Interior was almost factory fresh and the Kona Blue paint and body were very strong. No accidents only a couple of dings that the dealership removed via paintless dent repair and it looks great. Has a bunch of fleet upgrades like 18" polished wheels, spare tire, my color interior and aluminum pedals to name a few. She rides like a charm and I purchased for an average of $6,500 less than a non rental with less equipment. Another benefit is rental cars are always properly serviced, they have to be, every day they can't be rented the company looses money. Maintenance is a high priority. Go with your gut, a solid once over (on a lift), couple of test drives and a car fax. If you love the car, everything checks out and you get a great price, I would absolutely buy it. I did with mine. I am also having fun modifying it to my taste and performance needs. It's a car, enjoy if, everything can be fixed. You can also buy the extended warranty if you are concerned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	160583  
Red89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
dacm99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Deland
Region: Florida
Posts: 135
Two cents on this. I had serious consideration on buying a convertible from hertz used car sales here in central Florida. The car was great but had typical wear and tear with 29,000 miles. Then I looked at new 2014 coupe with fp6 package, it was a 4 thousand dollar difference for brand new and used. I went with the brand new 2014.
dacm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberMeBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacm99 View Post
Two cents on this. I had serious consideration on buying a convertible from hertz used car sales here in central Florida. The car was great but had typical wear and tear with 29,000 miles. Then I looked at new 2014 coupe with fp6 package, it was a 4 thousand dollar difference for brand new and used. I went with the brand new 2014.

Remember, not really apples to apples comparison as convertibles are more expensive to begin with. I know there are other things to consider here also like mileage, just wanted to point out the difference about being a convertible.
__________________
2012 Grabber Blue V6 Convertible
1995 Red Trans Am Convertible
1979 Gold Trans Am
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Red89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacm99 View Post
Two cents on this. I had serious consideration on buying a convertible from hertz used car sales here in central Florida. The car was great but had typical wear and tear with 29,000 miles. Then I looked at new 2014 coupe with fp6 package, it was a 4 thousand dollar difference for brand new and used. I went with the brand new 2014.
What your saying makes a lot of sense, assuming the buyer can afford the extra $4,000 upfront or the payment it equates to. Sometimes a decision on a car is guided or at the very least influenced by what you can afford to spend. I would have loved a brand new, out of the wrapper '14 GT with all of the toys. My budget didn't allow that so I purchased the best I could with what I had to spend.

Each situation is unique to the buyer.
Red89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,022
the V6 autos are rather reliable cars...a rental will have a bit more abuse and possible less maintenance than an owned car but if the price is right. Unless you know the owner you don't know wether they beat on it or not..a rental may only be beat on 1 out of every 6 days. I will say having another person take the depreciation hit is a good financial idea but don't limit yourself to fleet vehicles only. If I had a nickle for every thread that th OP upgraded to a V8 I could afford one.
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #24
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
I know people who have gotten rental sport cars, threw a nitrous kit on it and ran it down the drag strip multiple times without any type of tuning..... Also know someone who rented a car and took it to Autocross.....

If you are the type of person that is going to care about the well-being of the car at all don't get a rental.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:27 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
the V6 autos are rather reliable cars...a rental will have a bit more abuse and possible less maintenance than an owned car but if the price is right. Unless you know the owner you don't know wether they beat on it or not..a rental may only be beat on 1 out of every 6 days. I will say having another person take the depreciation hit is a good financial idea but don't limit yourself to fleet vehicles only. If I had a nickle for every thread that th OP upgraded to a V8 I could afford one.
That's kind of a vague statement, how will you know that it will have "a bit more abuse" like we are saying its a roll of the dice. It might have a bit, or has had the snot beat out of it! You just don't know.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberMeBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
That's kind of a vague statement, how will you know that it will have "a bit more abuse" like we are saying its a roll of the dice. It might have a bit, or has had the snot beat out of it! You just don't know.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
You don't know with any car you buy...


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________
2012 Grabber Blue V6 Convertible
1995 Red Trans Am Convertible
1979 Gold Trans Am
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #27
ME Bloodhound
Staff
 
Soccerluvr4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento/Bay Area
Region: California
Posts: 14,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
You don't know with any car you buy...


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Unless it's a special ordered model that shows up on the flatbed at the dealer the day you pick it up lol.


Bullitts are better than Bullets
__________________

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
You don't know with any car you buy...


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
True, but I'm betting most mustang owners take care of their cars better than a rental car. I don't know about you but I take great care in my car, I avoid holes, curbs etc, yes I drive it like a mustang but there is a difference between driving it and beating it. I know if I ever decided to sell mine that person will be getting a very pampered car.......a rental, not so sure, at least the ones I used to have for a few days. Lol. This is just my personal preference no bashing intended, at the end of the day whether the op buys a rental or finds a used he will still have his mustang and that is most important.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
GrabberMeBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhere
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
True, but I'm betting most mustang owners take care of their cars better than a rental car. I don't know about you but I take great care in my car, I avoid holes, curbs etc, yes I drive it like a mustang but there is a difference between driving it and beating it. I know if I ever decided to sell mine that person will be getting a very pampered car.......a rental, not so sure, at least the ones I used to have for a few days. Lol. This is just my personal preference no bashing intended, at the end of the day whether the op buys a rental or finds a used he will still have his mustang and that is most important.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.

I take great care in my cars also, as you can see by looking in my garage.
__________________
2012 Grabber Blue V6 Convertible
1995 Red Trans Am Convertible
1979 Gold Trans Am
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #30
Staff

Regular
Staff
 
Strange Mud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Small Town
Region: Connecticut
Posts: 5,022
And I believe the majority of people don't abuse rentals...idk but since alot of places won't rent to kids (sorry I'm old) that will cut down on some of the abuse. I'll also GUESS that drivers that are conditioned to avoid potholes will have their instincts take over and avoid them in rentals.

Yeah, I know it was a vague statement. I wrote it trying to consider my interpritation (sp?) of the law of averages.
__________________
2012 V6 with suspension, shifting, stopping and sound mods.
Strange Mud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I take great care in my cars also, as you can see by looking in my garage.
Sorry Grabber, I didn't mean it in a negative way, I should have wrote it like this, I don't know how about you but I'm ocd about mine........lol. Sorry again bro.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
And I believe the majority of people don't abuse rentals...idk but since alot of places won't rent to kids (sorry I'm old) that will cut down on some of the abuse. I'll also GUESS that drivers that are conditioned to avoid potholes will have their instincts take over and avoid them in rentals.

Yeah, I know it was a vague statement. I wrote it trying to consider my interpritation (sp?) of the law of averages.
Just saying most don't rent mustangs cause there roomy and practical. Up here anyone with a valid drivers licence and insurance can rent a car, from 16- to whatever.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Red89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 68
I think each vehicle stands on its own. Most of us enthusiasts have the ability to access a car and it's wear patterns. We all know what to look for. My '89 GT was used and abused horribly and that didn't come from the previous owner being honest, it came from my going over the car from top to bottom. I can't imagine that my '68 & '69 coupes had an easy life before I got them. Mechanical things can be repaired, cosmetic can be cleaned and wearable items will wear out. The rule should be "if it's not right, walk away". I am always happy when someone gets a new 'Stang and I would bet that not every Mustang purchase can or will be new.
Red89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:12 PM   #34
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
In this day and age of fleet car sales and their service record, I'd have no problem buying a rental. Besides, it goes through a certification process that nets you an additional 100K drivetrain warranty as a "certified pre-owned".

As one person posted, I'd prefer any used car that spent its time in a south sunny climate over a northern winter salt roaded one. Other then that, no problem with a rental for me. If it's 4 grand cheaper than a new one, I can spend that 4 grand savings on mods!
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Red89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Long Island
Region: New York
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
You don't know with any car you buy...


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
In this day and age of fleet car sales and their service record, I'd have no problem buying a rental. Besides, it goes through a certification process that nets you an additional 100K drivetrain warranty as a c"ertified pre-owned".

As one person posted, I'd prefer any used car that spent its time in a south sunny climate over a northern winter salt roaded one. Other then that, no problem with a rental for me. If it's 4 grand cheaper than a new one, I can spend that 4 grand savings on mods!
And that bucko is the exact reason I purchased my car and have had a blast tossing mods at her!
Red89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying a 2013 rental conv??? drukkosz 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 256 08-05-2013 09:57 PM
Shelby 50th Anniversary Fleet RSW 2011-2014 Mustang GT 4 06-21-2012 10:51 AM
Imma Steal Your Rental Hertz!! bluemustang The Bar 9 05-02-2007 05:00 PM
Ruined a rental car!!! Monkey The Bar 15 09-10-2004 12:09 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



09:07 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.