Front door 8" sub - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Front door 8" sub

Could I buy any 8" sub for my front door ? I have the shaker 500 set up and want to upgrade my front speakers. Not sure if I have to buy a specific one or any wil work.

2013 Black 3.7 V6
_nathannnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Crutchfield.com will show you what fits and doesn't fit. I'd check their website and then buy the speakers somewhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
willmorg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Great advice thanks!

2013 Black 3.7 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Crutchfield doesn't check subs for fit with specific vehicles, so that doesn't help you.

The only drop-in replacement that is available is the Kicker subs made for Shelbys.

Kicker Audio 8 Inch Woofers

I don't know of any others that will actually fit without modifications. If you look around, you can probably find them for cheaper from somewhere else.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1404250846.465061.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	822.7 KB
ID:	160546

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1404250861.644542.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	812.1 KB
ID:	160547

I've read that you can change out the subs with component speakers, does anybody know if these will work?

2013 Black 3.7 V6
Old 07-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1404251020.412599.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	160550

Just got this off crutchfield, so does this mean the alpine component speakers I posted will fit?

2013 Black 3.7 V6
Old 07-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Unless you can find an adaptor for the size differential, no. And since that's not a normal adaptation, I doubt you'll find something unless you make it yourself. Not to mention them being 4Ω, and the stock head unit already being underpowered.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Damn ! I wish there was an easier way of upgrading our factory shaker systems!

2013 Black 3.7 V6
Old 07-01-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

For the subs, you really only have the option of the Kickers for ease of install. For replacing the speakers, you have a lot of choices, you just need to buy the bracket for the doors.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
For the subs, you really only have the option of the Kickers for ease of install. For replacing the speakers, you have a lot of choices, you just need to buy the bracket for the doors.

I may do this down the road. I had 2 12" kicker comp's in my old car and they sounded amazing and I never had any issues with them. Love the kicker brand!

rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Speaker Replace

I did the Kicker/Shelby GT Speaker replacement up front in my Car. They work and Sound Excellent. In the Rear I changed to JLT, and yes I did change the Amp.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Nice👍

2013 Black 3.7 V6
Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
The factory 8s are amazing for a stock speaker. In mine I have replaced all of the 6x8 for kickers (cs68). I ran them all on one channel of my kicker amp and the factory 8s are powered off the other channel. Rear 6x8 got relocated out of the rear deck and moved to the side panels. For the fronts I dremmeled out the factory set up and used the plastic housing for the new 6x8. The factory tweeters are integrated Into the dash off the factory amp just for the car phone purpose. And have a 12"nvx woofer in the back powered by an alpine mrx m110. Pushing 1100 watts into a custom ported box. Everything on my install looks factory but sounds far from it. Crystal clear even at high volume. A lot of my friends can't stand to be in the car at full vol. because it's so loud. Unfortunately having the glass roof was a downfall with the sub. I built the first box for spl and shattered the roof. That was a sad day. Had to build a new box and toss in a new window. My bad.
Sorry for the long rite up but moral of the story is. The factory 8s are great if powered correctly. All of this and still have factory hu and all of it's functions

20prima10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a huge audio fanatic. Not to upset anyone who uses kicker subs but they are worthless. I love kicker amps and there speakers but there woofers don't handle nearly as much power as they say they will. Nvx subs are awesome and can handle everything they say they do and then some. If your have clean power running to them.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20prima10 View Post
I'm a huge audio fanatic. Not to upset anyone who uses kicker subs but they are worthless. I love kicker amps and there speakers but there woofers don't handle nearly as much power as they say they will. Nvx subs are awesome and can handle everything they say they do and then some. If your have clean power running to them.

Their speakers are the worst thing they make. Their amps are.... "Ok" but seriously overpriced.

Repth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
Their speakers are the worst thing they make. Their amps are.... "Ok" but seriously overpriced.

I agree with you. The amps always do rated power (and more) wise but cost way to much. As far as the speakers go they are mediocre at best. Their speakers are geared toward the masses and not true audio people. You wont find many audiophiles who use any thing kicker. For those that really love Kicker, thats cool their stuff is decent, but you should hear some of the other stuff out there in the same price range.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Agreed I ran kicker 6x8s due to where I'm currently working it's all I could get. When I get back home I'll be swapping them out for something better but they sound fantastic for what they are.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:08 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

SoCal stang man what brands do u use and why? I'm a huge audiophile and always like hearing why people like certain stuff. I always try out new stuff

Old 09-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Also these kicker cs68 models sounds good. They sound better than the jl audios I had in there before. Only set that's been cleaner was infinity kappas. If you have not heard that style of kicker it's worth a listen. They sound good for the highs in the mustangs powered by a clean amp.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Kicker and Infinity both make garbage speakers. JL makes a decent set of components, but of course it is strictly decent and priced like it was freaking Rainbow Germaniums or Morel Elates or something.

I know you didn't ask me, but I use 8" Dayton RS225 mids and 1 1/8" Dayton RS28 tweeters for the front stage. Sub is a 15" Ascendant Audio Havoc. The fronts are crossed over at around 2.75khz, subwoofer at 60hz. Processing thanks to a Pioneer 80PRS head unit. For amps I'm using a couple Massive Audio's small-footprint units after my Cadence amps were stolen. They're not bad, especially for the price. For the whole set-up I paid roughly $1,500 minus materials, so not too much. Sounds great, though. Extremely accurate when it comes to instrument location on stage for live performances, sound stage appears to be 4ft in front of the windshield and about 10ft wide, impossible to localize the sound (people had literally no idea where the speakers were located when they were in my old Charger).

You don't have to pay a lot for good gear. You just have to get the right stuff.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Quote:
SoCal stang man what brands do u use and why? I'm a huge audiophile and always like hearing why people like certain stuff. I always try out new stuff

Ive had many systems some passive and even a couple active. Ive always been a big fan of Image Dynamics. They make some really nice equipment. Amps that do rated + and speakers that if set up properly can take a lot of power and sound amazing. Im trying to get away from high end audio because its an expensive addiction. If I did another set up though I would either go with Hertz or HAT.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Ive had many systems some passive and even a couple active. Ive always been a big fan of Image Dynamics. They make some really nice equipment. Amps that do rated + and speakers that if set up properly can take a lot of power and sound amazing. Im trying to get away from high end audio because its an expensive addiction. If I did another set up though I would either go with Hertz or HAT.

+1 on ID. Their horns are amazing, though I've never had the balls to actually do a horn build myself. I did have a set of their entry level components that were absolutely killer for the $100 I paid for them. Their amps sound astoundingly good, though I did find them to be quite expensive. And of course the IDMAX is nothing short of iconic.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I just replaced stock speakers in my 14 conv, with Alpine sps-517's. Sound is much better. Does anyone have Alpine R series and would I be better served putting 2 of those in rear? HU is the Shaker with Synch.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Mschrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:00 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Front door 8" sub

Alpine makes deaf people cry.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:26 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Alpine type r have terrible sound quality and can't handle the power there rated to

Old 09-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone on here use cadence amps? Been debating on trying one.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alpine type r have terrible sound quality and can't handle the power there rated to

Not true at all. The NEWER (last 2-3 years) Type Rs are worlds better than the old ones and they are a solid bargain for the price. If you're not looking to spend much, they're a good option. They also handle rated power easily as long as you're not feeding them a clipped signal...

As far as Cadence amps go, I LOVE their ZRS series. I had a ZRS7000D that worked wonders for me until it was stolen. Rated at 1kw @ 1 ohm and did more like 1.3. And it was cheap ($250). The iA series is great, too, but I think it's not worth the price difference, personally. Stay away from all the others.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:09 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I bought a new alpine three months ago and ran it off the alpine recommended amp. Given the price it was good. However the sub does not hold we'll to the power it says it can. Testing it with and I clipped signal I could only run it for a few minutes at 1000w before I'd start to smell voice coil. Maybe I got a bad sub from them I'm not sure. But I wasn't a fan.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

I'll have to give cadence a shot

Old 09-19-2014, 07:31 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I bought a new alpine three months ago and ran it off the alpine recommended amp. Given the price it was good. However the sub does not hold we'll to the power it says it can. Testing it with and I clipped signal I could only run it for a few minutes at 1000w before I'd start to smell voice coil. Maybe I got a bad sub from them I'm not sure. But I wasn't a fan.

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 PM ----------

I'll have to give cadence a shot

Wait, you tested it with a clipped signal? Or did autocorrect get you on that one?

Old 09-19-2014, 07:41 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Auto correct got me on that. Sorry about that lol. I ran it off a alpine mrxm110. That's what there tech told me to run when I called them. Set it up with an oscope so I knew the signal wasn't getting clipped.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Auto correct got me on that. Sorry about that lol. I ran it off a alpine mrxm110. That's what there tech told me to run when I called them. Set it up with an oscope so I knew the signal wasn't getting clipped.

That was gonna be my next question. I set mine with a scope as well. I've not personally owned a Type R but tell neighbor kid wanted an 8 for his truck and that's what we went with. Set his up with around 600w (IIRC the 8 is rated for 500w) and it sounded pretty good. Still thumping away.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Like it said I may have gotten a bad one from factory. I'm not sure. The amp doesn't clip until 3/4gain and I cudnt run the amp over 1/3 without smelling voice coil. So clean signal and it was burning up. It did sound good for the price of the sub. Just not happy wth the quality and the sq definatly has room for improvement. But for something you can buy online for the price it does sound decent. In the proper box. I currently am finishing a build on a nvx vcw12". I just found them online they have only been in business since 2011 and I figured I wud give there sub a try. Depending on how it hold I will try more. Thinking about buying te cadence d1600zrs. What's your thought on that amp?

Old 09-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Cadence d1600m zrs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang