*** 2014 V6 Gear Swap to 3.73 or 3.55 ??? - Help Needed - *** - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exclamation *** 2014 V6 Gear Swap to 3.73 or 3.55 ??? - Help Needed - ***

For those of you who have actually done a gear swap in your 2013 - 2014 V6, what did you have to do to recalibrate the speedometer? On a stick shift car does anything have to be done to correct the speedometer??

How big of a difference in acceleration and the "Fun Factor" did you feel
after the gear swap?

How much did the gas mileage go down to in city driving, and in highway MPG?

What is the RPM after the gear swap at 60 MPH, and also at 70 with the 3.73 gears, or with 3.55's ???

Anyone with V6 Manual trans swap to a 3.55 instead of a 3.73?
Anyone wish they had gone to a 3.55 instead of a 3.73?

Many Thanks for all your help with these answers!
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
You may need a new tune for the change in gears. A Ford dealership can do it for 3.31 gears. Anything larger, then you have to get a tuner and a new tune for your 3.73 gears. I know this is true if you have an automatic and pretty sure it applies if you have a manual as well. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the manual.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the quick reply MD.

On some late model Manual Shift cars nothing at all is needed to correct the speedo, I just do not know what, if anything, is needed on the 2014 Mustang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply MD.

On some late model Manual Shift cars nothing at all is needed to correct the speedo, I just do not know what, if anything, is needed on the 2014 Mustang.
When in doubt, drop the dime and call the dealer. You will get the diffinitive answer. I would think they're open now. Let us know what you find out
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 07-02-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Dealer did not have a definitive answer, just the usual, "We will do the swap and see if or what it needs to correct the speedo."

Hoping someone who has done this gear swap on their own car from 2.73 to 3.73 in their 2013 or 2014 3.7 V6 Manual Shift car will chime in with the answer of what they had to do to correct the speedo.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Also interested in the answers from those who installed 3.73's of what the RPM are at 70 mph, and how much the gas mileage dropped after installing the 3.73's
Old 07-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

OK, I did some searching for you and you can find a wealth of information here: A Guide to Mustang Rear Gears

Specifically:

Do I Need to Tune When Installing New Gears in a Mustang?:
To correct the speedometer and odometer reading on your Mustang after installing new gears, you will have a couple options. Depending on the year of your Mustang, the correction can be done by installing a speed calibrator, reprogramming with a chip or tuner, or installing the adjustment gear available through Ford racing.

Custom Tune:
A custom tune requires the use of a chip or handheld tuning device such as the SCT Eliminator, X3 PowerFlash, or LiveWire tuner. Your dealer will create a custom tune that specifically calibrates your speedometer and if you have an automatic, it will calibrate your transmission's shift points. This method will work on all Mustangs with Computer Controlled Electronic Gauges (1999+ Mustangs).

SpeedCal Device:
A SpeedCal is an electronic device that allows you to adjust the signal that is being transmitted from your transmission to calibrate for gear changes. This works on Mustangs with both Computer Controlled Electronic Gauges and Non-Computer Controlled Electronic Gauges (1994-2004 Mustangs).

Speedometer Driver Gear:
Swapping out the Speedometer Driver Gear inside the transmission is the only way to adjust the speedometer in Mustangs with Mechanical Gauges. This method also works with some Electronic Gauged Mustangs, although this method is not as accurate as the previous two methods.

Also, read post #8 on this thread: Tunerz

I suggest reading everything on this page at AM. I hope I was of some assistance and good luck
Old 07-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Yea both manual and automatic need the speedo adjusted. The automatic even more because it bases its shift points off of RPM and speed and such. The manual you can still shift it yourself, the mph will just be off, doesn't affect the performance of the car.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I have a manual as well and went with 3.55. No regrets here because I feel like had I gone with the 3.73, I would be shifting waaay too much. It's a powerful launch off the line and the perfect amount of shift IMO. Mpg is about the same, don't even notice a difference. Maybe like 1, 2 mpg loss at the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iantrusive View Post

I have a manual as well and went with 3.55. No regrets here because I feel like had I gone with the 3.73, I would be shifting waaay too much. It's a powerful launch off the line and the perfect amount of shift IMO.

Mpg is about the same, don't even notice a difference. Maybe like 1, 2 mpg loss at the most.

iantrusive,

Next time you are out driving would you please be so kind as to let me know how many RPM you are going in 6th gear please at 60 MPH, and also at 70 MPH please...

Many Thanks!
Old 07-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #11
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
iantrusive,

Next time you are out driving would you please be so kind as to let me know how many RPM you are going in 6th gear please at 60 MPH, and also at 70 MPH please...

Many Thanks!
AmericanMuscle has a chart with the corresponding RPM of several speeds on the 3.73 gear product page. Using that, you can calculate what RPM you'd be at while going 60 and 70 mph
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Perhaps this will help: Selecting a Rear Gear Ratio For 2005-2014 Mustangs

Edit: Also, you can go to AmericanMuscle.com and click on the gears you're interested in, then click on the "Specs" tab and there's a chart for gears 1 thru 6, the MPH, and RPM, just pick the transmission.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Op I have 3.73s and love them, but if your at all concerned with getting a bit better mpgs I suggest 3.55s, they will pull almost the same as 3.73s

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info and for the links MD.

Thanks for the the input FF13. What RPM are you doing at 60 MPH, and also at 70 MPH please?
Old 07-02-2014, 03:31 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks for the info and for the links MD.

Thanks for the the input FF13. What RPM are you doing at 60 MPH, and also at 70 MPH please?
The info you're looking for is on the chart on AM I mentioned above.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

^^^^This is were I got my info from before my gear swap.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
^^^^This is were I got my info from before my gear swap.
+1
Old 07-07-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
iantrusive,

Many Thanks!

Hey buddy, sorry didn't see this until today. I checked it today. 60mph in 6th gear with 3.55 gears is about 1800/1900rpm. 70mph it's at around 2250rpm. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you iantrusive!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Question to those who have spent some time driving both a 2.73 and also a 3.31...

Does a 3.31 rear gear add much to acceleration compared to my stock 2.73 gears?

The computer in this particular car can be changed to recalibrate the speedometer to a 3.15 or 3.31 at the dealer via Ford IDS without flagging the computer as a reflash and no tune recalibration so that the warranty stays in effect.

Not so much interested in a warranty discussion please, more only interested in if the 3.31 gear swap is much of a noticeable difference please.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Question to those who have spent some time driving both a 2.73 and also a 3.31...

Does a 3.31 rear gear add much to acceleration compared to my stock 2.73 gears?

The computer in this particular car can be changed to recalibrate the speedometer to a 3.15 or 3.31 at the dealer via Ford IDS without flagging the computer as a reflash and no tune recalibration so that the warranty stays in effect.

Not so much interested in a warranty discussion please, more only interested in if the 3.31 gear swap is much of a noticeable difference please.
Yes it's a noticeable difference but I would only suggest it if your worried about your warranty because if your going to be doing a gear swap anyway you might as well go with 3.55 or 3.73 gears. I have had both, My '12 V6 had 2.73 gears and I traded that for a 14 V6 ordered from the factory with the options I wanted. One of which was the the Performance Pack which comes with 3.31gears. I use to get pretty much the same gas mileage as the '12 with 2.73 but better off the line launch and overall pull. I say use to because it's now so far from stock that you can't really compare the two but when it was stock it was about the same. I must say that 3.31 is not enough, for me anyway, and I will be switching to 3.73 gears next month so choose wisely so you won't regret your decision later and want more gear!
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Go to the dealership and test drive a car optioned with 3.31 to get the real low down.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #23

I just put in FRPP 3.55's along with a aluminum driveshaft which feels much more responsive when driving however I thought thought the hwy mpg would be about 29-30 like i read in other blogs but im only getting ~25 mpg which is the same if not worse than a 420 hp GT! does anyone have any idea whats going on??
redeemer96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeemer96 View Post
I just put in FRPP 3.55's along with a aluminum driveshaft which feels much more responsive when driving however I thought thought the hwy mpg would be about 29-30 like i read in other blogs but im only getting ~25 mpg which is the same if not worse than a 420 hp GT! does anyone have any idea whats going on??
On a three hour trip I got 29mpgs once with 3.73s. Just highway I'll average 26-27. Maybe its your right foot? Lol

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
Old 09-03-2014, 09:19 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Personally, I regret not getting 4:56 over 4:10.... Don't go 3:55 or 3:73, go 4:10 or 4:56!! Screw MPG.

4:10 at 65MPH is around 2300-2500RPM. Depending on how I drive my car, I can get 11.5 MPG or 19MPG (Mixed highway/street driving)... I don't really care for the MPG however. So that's just me.
RushGotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushGotti View Post
Personally, I regret not getting 4:56 over 4:10.... Don't go 3:55 or 3:73, go 4:10 or 4:56!! Screw MPG.

4:10 at 65MPH is around 2300-2500RPM. Depending on how I drive my car, I can get 11.5 MPG or 19MPG (Mixed highway/street driving)... I don't really care for the MPG however. So that's just me.
It was a toss up between 3.73/3.90/4.10.

4.56 would have been ridiculous with a mt-82, and not in a good way!

Old 09-04-2014, 01:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
On a three hour trip I got 29mpgs once with 3.73s. Just highway I'll average 26-27. Maybe its your right foot? Lol

27 is understandable for a manual with 3.73 (best ratio for mt82) but just cruising under 65 i cant even get 26 mpg, had i known itd be this bad i wouldve just got 4.1 fr my auto. the reason i got 3.55 is because i dont plan on racing much (thats what my other s.o. is for) nd it just seemed like a good happy medium. something has to be amiss nd its not my big toe
Old 09-04-2014, 07:49 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

3.73 is way too much in 1st, what do you start in 2nd with a 4.56, good lord. The 3.73 is a good gear for the auto, but a 3.55 or 3.31 is going to be your best bet in the standard. There is such thing as too much gear, bsaically if you dont actually spend any time in your power band, and just rip through it, you're not actually going any faster... There is a point of diminishing returns. People feel since they're going through the RPMS so much faster their car is wicked fast, but they have done testing on the 5.0 autos where basically after a point (typically a 3.31) it makes absolutely 0 difference on the stock torque converter.

Perfect example, i have a 3.31 5.0 m6 and when i just had an O/r H pipe, intake, tune, i beat a long tube, boss intake, 4.10 auto from a roll BAD. I was able to hold onto my gears longer and use my power band more effectively, whereas he just spent all his time shifting and not really using his power. in the 1/4 it likely would have been a different story and i would have gotten my *** handed to me, but thats my point. What exactly are you doing with your car most of the time?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
3.73 is way too much in 1st, what do you start in 2nd with a 4.56, good lord. The 3.73 is a good gear for the auto, but a 3.55 or 3.31 is going to be your best bet in the standard. There is such thing as too much gear, bsaically if you dont actually spend any time in your power band, and just rip through it, you're not actually going any faster... There is a point of diminishing returns. People feel since they're going through the RPMS so much faster their car is wicked fast, but they have done testing on the 5.0 autos where basically after a point (typically a 3.31) it makes absolutely 0 difference on the stock torque converter.

Perfect example, i have a 3.31 5.0 m6 and when i just had an O/r H pipe, intake, tune, i beat a long tube, boss intake, 4.10 auto from a roll BAD. I was able to hold onto my gears longer and use my power band more effectively, whereas he just spent all his time shifting and not really using his power. in the 1/4 it likely would have been a different story and i would have gotten my *** handed to me, but thats my point. What exactly are you doing with your car most of the time?
I'm guessing you could start in 3rd NP with 4.56s. It would turn my 6sp into a 3sp with a top speed of 110km/h lol.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
First off city MPG's really won't be affected much as you can just go into the next gear its highway that will be lowered. For example I have a 2014 base M6 V6 and get around the following MPG highway to give you an idea of what the higher RPM's impact is. Although it's hard to say 100% due to the impact outside conditions have on MPG. But the numbers below were 100% highway being manually calculated meaning I filled up got in the highway, drove for at least 200 miles, filled up, divided miles driven by gallons to fill the car up.
~1500 RPM which is around 60-65 MPH my car will get around 32-34 MPG
~2000 RPM which is around 80 MPH my car will get around 26-27 MPG.

Me personally I refuse to do any mods that lower my highway MPG's in the GT range as 90% of my driving is highway and a big reason for buying the V6 over the GT was the MPG. So if I was even considering that I would just go buy a GT but I realize that everyone didn't choose the V6 for the same reasons I did. There is no denying that gears are great for performance and wake the car up just figuring out the effects on fuel economy or other things that matter for how you use your car.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
First off city MPG's really won't be affected much as you can just go into the next gear its highway that will be lowered. For example I have a 2014 base M6 V6 and get around the following MPG highway to give you an idea of what the higher RPM's impact is. Although it's hard to say 100% due to the impact outside conditions have on MPG. But the numbers below were 100% highway being manually calculated meaning I filled up got in the highway, drove for at least 200 miles, filled up, divided miles driven by gallons to fill the car up.
~1500 RPM which is around 60-65 MPH my car will get around 32-34 MPG
~2000 RPM which is around 80 MPH my car will get around 26-27 MPG.

Me personally I refuse to do any mods that lower my highway MPG's in the GT range as 90% of my driving is highway and a big reason for buying the V6 over the GT was the MPG. So if I was even considering that I would just go buy a GT but I realize that everyone didn't choose the V6 for the same reasons I did. There is no denying that gears are great for performance and wake the car up just figuring out the effects on fuel economy or other things that matter for how you use your car.
Tbh, my highway mpg didn't suffer as much as I thought it would with 3.73s, but my city has., but like 99% of it has to do with my foot. Lol. It all depends on driving habits. Even when I had my 2.73s I could manage bad mpgs every once in a while because of my right foot, its now just so much more fun with 3.73s!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post

The difference between 3.55s and 3.73s is VERY minimal. To say 3.55s are good in a manual and 3.73s are way to much doesn't make any sense. Your talking about such a small jump between gears ratios that most people couldn't tell the difference between the two. With 3.73s you'll get a tad better bite than the 3.55s and with 3.55s you'll get a tad better mpg (subjective to driver habits) Both are great gears for the mt-82.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

How can I recalibrate / correct the speedo if I install 3.55 or 3.73 gears without using a an aftermarket programmer??

The car is a manual 6 speed, so only the speedo would be affected, the speedo is the only thing that needs to be corrected if 3.55 or 3.73 gears are installed.

If an aftermarket programmer is used, and there is a catastrophic engine or transmission failure that has nothing to do with the programmer I believe the warranty will be voided and they will not cover the engine or tranny failure, they would use that as a way out of standing behind the warranty.

Rather than get into a discussion here about warranty, please let me know if there is a way to correct the speedo for 3.55 or 3.73 without using an aftermarket programmer.

I did verify and confirm the only gears in the V6 that can be calibrated within the original computer in the car now is 2.73 or 3.15 or 3.31

I am hoping someone here knows a way to recalibrate / correct the speedo without using an aftermarket programmer.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How can I recalibrate / correct the speedo if I install 3.55 or 3.73 gears without using a an aftermarket programmer??

The car is a manual 6 speed, so only the speedo would be affected, the speedo is the only thing that needs to be corrected if 3.55 or 3.73 gears are installed.

If an aftermarket programmer is used, and there is a catastrophic engine or transmission failure that has nothing to do with the programmer I believe the warranty will be voided and they will not cover the engine or tranny failure, they would use that as a way out of standing behind the warranty.

Rather than get into a discussion here about warranty, please let me know if there is a way to correct the speedo for 3.55 or 3.73 without using an aftermarket programmer.

I did verify and confirm the only gears in the V6 that can be calibrated within the original computer in the car now is 2.73 or 3.15 or 3.31

I am hoping someone here knows a way to recalibrate / correct the speedo without using an aftermarket programmer.

By asking around different dealers, you will find some service department who will agree to load the 3.31 stock tune and adjust the speedometer by playing with the tire size. There is one in my area that does this, and I have heard of others. However, chances are they will also require that they do the gear install and that you buy Ford Racing gears (which you should anyway). The install from a dealership will cost you much more than private shops.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 04:05 AM   #35

Quote:

ask your dealer because mine said as long as i didnt add a tune there would be no issues. there are aftermarket speedo calibrators you could use to be safe. however installing the gears did void the warranty on my rear axel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang