Is a 3.73 gear swap worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Is a 3.73 gear swap worth it?

I have a 14 auto with stock 2.73's and basic bolt ons(CAI,tune,spacer) and my vehicle is a daily driver. I drive this car 30 miles a day on average and only about 6 of those miles are on the highway for about 5 minutes lol. So it's safe to say the majority of my driving is stop light to stop light and I don't really intend on taking the car to the track, I just enjoy horsing off with fellow domestics and tough guy JDM kids from light to light.

Now from what I understand the 2.73 gears do an excellent job at making my car feel like a fat pig for the conditions I drive in. And what I'm looking to gain is off the line power where I won't experience that horrid 2 sec lag from throttle to wheels.

I did some calling around my area and found the most reputable differential shop (Fearless Fear @ central California) to be the only guys that seem to be knowledgeable and willing to stand behind their work. The only problem is that they have me a out the door price of $900 and change for parts and labor(they warranty every component and all labor).

I guess my question is if it is worth it? To all of you who have the 3.73's installed in your auto with a relatively similar set up as mine, does the off the line power make the pricey labor charge worth the money?

I appreciate all the upcoming feedback and I would love to hear alternative suggestions if any.

Thanks in advance guys!
Prezona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Hello !!.... And i have CAI ,tuner,exhaust and mu pony has 20" rims. The best for this motor to bring really happy is the 3,73 like i will install asap. Just got the nitrous­čśť

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
blackout2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout2012 View Post
Hello !!.... And i have CAI ,tuner,exhaust and mu pony has 20" rims. The best for this motor to bring really happy is the 3,73 like i will install asap. Just got the nitrous­čśť

Hey right on! Yeah that's what I keep hearing! I just dont know if it will be worth the $900 ticket!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I think I see this question on here every day lol

iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think the max you should be spending on labor is around $500 and I would really be happy at $400.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
I think the max you should be spending on labor is around $500 and I would really be happy at $400.
Yeah the labor itself comes out to $575 with the rest belonging to parts. I was really hoping to be quoted $400 though. That would have saved me a few gray hairs
Old 07-02-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes ­čśéhere in miami so many place cheap but is very delicate work the gear So go with the best

Old 07-02-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezona View Post
Yeah the labor itself comes out to $575 with the rest belonging to parts. I was really hoping to be quoted $400 though. That would have saved me a few gray hairs
I know how you feel. I believe in protecting the initial investment, meaning, if you're ready to spend $475 on a reasonable job, protect that initial $475 with another $100 and get the very best you can. The labor and parts will be under warranty and you'll have peace of mind that it was done right the first time. If there's any issues, they stand behind their work. I say go for it, cause when it's time for my gears to be installed I'll be looking for the best I can find
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 07-02-2014, 02:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I was quoted $850 furnish and install for 3.73's on my auto. I initially was going to go for it but after checking around on here at prices other members paid I bailed.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Personally i think 3.73s are a little bit to much for a DD with this tranny... First gear is pretty steep or short or whatever it the proper term... My car is also my DD and also have a 30 mile round trip... with a number of longer trips on the weekend. My first instinct was to go with a 3.73 or even a 4.10 like i had in my 2005 V6.... however after reading up on the new 6 speed, i decided to go with the 3.55s... for me it turned out to be a great all around gear!

Here is my progression so far using the track apps 0-60 mph:

Stock - 6.2 sec
MPT Tuned - 5.7 sec
Gears (2.73 to 3.55) - 5.4 sec
MRT catted H-pipe - 5.3 sec

As you can see the biggest gain is with a good tune, especially with an automatic! And when you do the gears you are going to need a tune, so don't forget to budget for that...

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It's only 2 hr job at max! so I wouldn't pay more then 200 for labor and that's still overpaid at 100 a hour! I got my 3.73 gears installed for 150 plus parts

skorch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Just keep in mind that your labor cost will reflect your area's average hourly labor rate. Up here in Alaska, it's about $100/hour, so $575 total labor cost is right on point, but prices tend to be on the higher side up here. I would definitely get several reputable shops to give you a quote so you at least know your options.

As for the gears themselves, I just went from 2.73 to 3.73 in my auto and absolutely love it. Well worth the money I put into it and I'm mad I didn't do it sooner.

Sent from your mom's house.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorch85 View Post
It's only 2 hr job at max! so I wouldn't pay more then 200 for labor and that's still overpaid at 100 a hour! I got my 3.73 gears installed for 150 plus parts

while it may only take 2 hours, a lot of shops go by "The Book"... not sure what "The Book" says about gear swaps but i believe it might be more than 2 hours... since "Book Time" is based on how long an inexperienced mechanic might take to complete the job... so a guy who does rear ends all the time can knock it out in 2 or less hours, the mechanic that has never touch a rear end will take a lot longer... and that is the time that the "Book Time' is based on...

Best one ever was a changing the valve cover on my old Jeep... "The Book" called for something crazy like 8 hours since it basically wanted the mechanic to pull the motor forward to get to the rear bolts... my cousin the mechanic said "watch this" took a pry bar, was able to move the motor forward enough to get the bolts out... cover swap took him about 10 minutes... at which point he told me about "The Book" and how the shop would have charged the guy off the street 8 hours of labor... because that's what "The Book" says...

article on Flat Rate billing:

The Truth About Flat Rate Car Repairs

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

^^+1
Very interesting and thanks for the link
Old 07-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all of the replies guys! My labor rate is about $100/hour here in central california. I'm starting to realize that it probably would be wiser to invest in a more expensive shop just to have that reassurance of them standing behind their work and having my back if something defects.

I'm really excited about the fun factor to be gained though. I think
I might even benefit from the gears to my MPG in the city.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
I'd rather it done right than fast. My shop actually asked me to swing by after they put it together so they could ride along to check for abnormal sound or whining. Had some whine so they opened it back up and made an adjustment. The rear end is nearly silent now, and I feel it would be if it weren't for my poly and spherical bushing. Definitely worth the extra hour or so of labor.

Sent from your mom's house.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Prices are outrageous these days so anytime you can watch and learn will save you a ton of money doing it yourself! I can almost do everything myself now and got a bunch of new parts from the money that should have been on labor. But anyways gears are a must for any mustang owner 3.73 all day lol according to charts I pull over 2g in the seat on launch with these gears and everything else

skorch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:07 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Hello. Guys here another Pony enthusiast for have the3,73 gear and i know the price is always really high did u see what kind of work they have to do ???look in youtube and u will realize why in will prefer a secure place to have that gear Hey always is about ur car and ur decision

Old 07-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I got 4.10s in my 03 gt with a 5 speed it's not bad at all I recommend it 70 mph it's 1800 rpm don't fear the gear ! It is worth it 1st gear is useless though

2003 full Bolt on GT
Basshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #20
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Is a 3.73 gear swap worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basshunter View Post
I got 4.10s in my 03 gt with a 5 speed it's not bad at all I recommend it 70 mph it's 1800 rpm don't fear the gear ! It is worth it 1st gear is useless though

2003 full Bolt on GT

Unless you are running damn near and above a 32" tall tire your rpm won't be that low with 4.10s. The math shows that with 4.10s at 70mph with a standard tire size and your overdrive ratio of .62 that you will be at 2308 rpm.....

This is me speaking from the math perspective and the fact that I have 4.10s in my car as well.

Besides this isn't even the same type of car, they have different transmissions than you and different everything else, none of what you said applies here.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

No way it legit under 2k remember they all have overdrives look at YouTube videos also

2003 full Bolt on GT
Old 07-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Also I don't have the tremec 3650 so might me different

2003 full Bolt on GT
Old 07-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It is different. Very different. 4.10's are awful for highway use. 3.55 and 3.73 seem to be the best balance for a DD depending on what percentage highway or intown you drive.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:45 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
It is different. Very different. 4.10's are awful for highway use. 3.55 and 3.73 seem to be the best balance for a DD depending on what percentage highway or intown you drive.

With the transmission I have at 70 I'm under 2k Rpms it's a 5pd but I guess it has different ratios than the 3650

2003 full Bolt on GT
Old 07-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

I don't know of any 5 speeds with an overdrive low enough to put you at that rpm. You will need a .5 ratio for that. I know those came in the T56 (not the cobra one) but never seen a 5 speed with it.

HID end all thread
Old 07-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #26
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basshunter View Post
No way it legit under 2k remember they all have overdrives look at YouTube videos also

2003 full Bolt on GT

I'm speaking from experience, not YouTube videos. An duh every car has overdrive, I said what the overdrive ratio is.

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang