High flow cats on GT500 mufflers = rasp? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
High flow cats on GT500 mufflers = rasp?

Felahs, howdy!? Time to get your expert opinion(s). So I currently have stock exhaust system with single tip GT500 mufflers. They sound awesome at WOT - more like a European V8 (Aston Martin or alfa romeo for that matter) in my opinion-that medium/high pitched grunt without the burble if you know what I'm talking about lol. One of the guys who valet parked my car at dealership was surprised how good they sound and the fact that it was a V6.

But thats not the problem: i find theyre JUST a little bit mellow under normal driving for my liking. I certainly don't have the $$$ to buy Stingers or any other exhaust for that matter. I love the tone/slight burble in general, I just wanna AMPLIFY it a bit.

1) I thought about getting a stock H pipe from 5.0, but I heard they will quite your exhaust down a little bit at start up - is that so?!

2) how about getting a set of high flow cats to replace my stock ones? I know they're known to make it your exhaust louder, but do they bring in rasp too? - knowing that I already have that European car tone. Don't want it to sound like a typical 4 banger around the block with those giant mufflers you could put your head in loll

Please help

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
What about doing shorty headers?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The rasp typically comes from the mufflers themselves or if you run an O/R X pipe.

I have a catted X-pipe and it does cut down on the rasp in comparison to the O/R but it also does quiet it down slightly, with my current setup and swapping to an O/R my stuff would be ungodly. I prefer mine to not be too obnoxious

Pypes sells High Flow cats individually on their site or you can look into the BBK catted X-pipe I have.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
What about doing shorty headers?
I did consider getting headers long time ago, but I'm not mechanically sound to make it a DIY project like most other members here. Too much installation moola to pay someone else to do it for me :/

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
The rasp typically comes from the mufflers themselves or if you run an O/R X pipe.

I have a catted X-pipe and it does cut down on the rasp in comparison to the O/R but it also does quiet it down slightly, with my current setup and swapping to an O/R my stuff would be ungodly. I prefer mine to not be too obnoxious

Pypes sells High Flow cats individually on their site or you can look into the BBK catted X-pipe I have.
I definitely looked into getting fords cut n clamp X, I'm just not a fan of rasp it brings in as compared to a H pipe -at least that's what people have said in AM reviews. And a catted X would definitely be hella $$$!! Lol the real reason why I'm not going too over the board with mods is cuz I know I'm gonna upgrade it to a 5.0 next year haha I have held myself down this year somehow.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I definitely looked into getting fords cut n clamp X, I'm just not a fan of rasp it brings in as compared to a H pipe -at least that's what people have said in AM reviews. And a catted X would definitely be hella $$$!! Lol the real reason why I'm not going too over the board with mods is cuz I know I'm gonna upgrade it to a 5.0 next year haha I have held myself down this year somehow.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Well if you 100% plan on upgrading the 5.0, save your money. Make bigger down payment or save up money for bolt-ons for that. No use in paying full price for a part you'll have to take off and then resell later at a loss.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 07-04-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well if you 100% plan on upgrading the 5.0, save your money. Make bigger down payment or save up money for bolt-ons for that. No use in paying full price for a part you'll have to take off and then resell later at a loss.
That's exactly my rationale here, I'm putting my tax refund money towards my savings to be used towards a 5.0

I was considering adding turbo to my V6 for power reasons, but I believe it's not practical for someone like me who drools to the sound/rumvle of a V8. There was a thread on buy V6 or a V8 by a fellow member and I read this amazing advise there : "if you're going to spend 4-5K on your V6 just to make it faster, then you have bought the wrong car."

- Golden advise, in my opinion. I'm sure many people would strongly disagree with it, with a rationale to have a unique/ sleeper V6 that will turn heads everywhere. Sounds quite right, but again not for someone like me with the kind of mind involved to achieve the said goal.

My ultimate aim is to smoke a Ferrari/Lambo in straight line one day. I have already seen a kenne bell 5.0 on YouTube where a 2010 lambo super leggera was raped. That's what I wanna do too hehe

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's exactly my rationale here, I'm putting my tax refund money towards my savings to be used towards a 5.0

I was considering adding turbo to my V6 for power reasons, but I believe it's not practical for someone like me who drools to the sound/rumvle of a V8. There was a thread on buy V6 or a V8 by a fellow member and I read this amazing advise there : "if you're going to spend 4-5K on your V6 just to make it faster, then you have bought the wrong car."

- Golden advise, in my opinion. I'm sure many people would strongly disagree with it, with a rationale to have a unique/ sleeper V6 that will turn heads everywhere. Sounds quite right, but again not for someone like me with the kind of mind involved to achieve the said goal.

My ultimate aim is to smoke a Ferrari/Lambo in straight line one day. I have already seen a kenne bell 5.0 on YouTube where a 2010 lambo super leggera was raped. That's what I wanna do too hehe

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Eventually I think I'll switch to the 5.0 as well. Possibly the 2015, but I think it's a car I'll have to see in person to make a final judgement on.

Just remember in an exotic, the HP numbers don't mean much. They have millions of dollars worth of engineering to make sure its light, aerodynamic, advanced launch control and the snazzy dual-clutch transmissions. None of which Muscle Cars have, so you have to put down a LOT of power to overcome all of that.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:03 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

Question? Are you still financing your current mustang ? Or have you finished paying it off and are now trading it in?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Dcansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Eventually I think I'll switch to the 5.0 as well. Possibly the 2015, but I think it's a car I'll have to see in person to make a final judgement on.

Just remember in an exotic, the HP numbers don't mean much. They have millions of dollars worth of engineering to make sure its light, aerodynamic, advanced launch control and the snazzy dual-clutch transmissions. None of which Muscle Cars have, so you have to put down a LOT of power to overcome all of that.
You're absolutely right about the exotics. No way in hell I'd be overcome a bi turbo aventador or any of those need for speed hyper cars. And frankly I don't really have the amount of cash needed to have TONS of horsepower on a car..that's also my DD.

I, personally, would be sticking to a 2014 GT. I have seen the 2015s in person at an international car show here, people are right. They're horrendous with a fusion front end. Even though the interior is extremely mouth watering.

I'm only an year into my finance yet, no way in hell I'm paying it off haha just gonna trade it in with some cash when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcansmack View Post
Question? Are you still financing your current mustang ? Or have you finished paying it off and are now trading it in?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're absolutely right about the exotics. No way in hell I'd be overcome a bi turbo aventador or any of those need for speed hyper cars. And frankly I don't really have the amount of cash needed to have TONS of horsepower on a car..that's also my DD.

I, personally, would be sticking to a 2014 GT. I have seen the 2015s in person at an international car show here, people are right. They're horrendous with a fusion front end. Even though the interior is extremely mouth watering.

I'm only an year into my finance yet, no way in hell I'm paying it off haha just gonna trade it in with some cash when I can.

Would you be losing out on that trade in? I was thinking of doing the same but I don't want to put myself in a money pit.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

Dcansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That was a blank post

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Sooo, any suggestions people? Any personal experience with high flow cats? Like if they're going to make **** raspy - much like an o/r setup?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Guys I neeeèeed help lol. I know going from stock to hi flow cats will make your exhaust louder. But I'm curious, if by louder, they're simply going to 'amplify' your current exhaust note? Say more 'pronounced' deep and throaty rumble. Since thats what shelby mufflers do, but very quietly.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have read that the BBk catted x-pipe gives good sound without as much of a rasp as no cats at all
cameron43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron43 View Post
I have read that the BBk catted x-pipe gives good sound without as much of a rasp as no cats at all
The thing with BBK catted X is the $$$ lol I'm looking for either mid pipe or high flows.. not both. I read a bunch of threads on other forums, people had mixed results and that has kept me in dilemma.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang