Went to wal-mart to change oil-pretty sure they put too much. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Went to wal-mart to change oil-pretty sure they put too much.

Ok so i went to walmart to change my first oil. I went and got the most expensive one for $56. Was pretty happy to see them put in castrol edge synthetic.

Anyway it takes them 45 minutes to do it and i go and try to pay and notice on the paper it says 5QT of oil. I tell him 2014 takes 6 QT and the other guy says yah 2014 mustang takes 6QT so he is like ok and goes and adds one more QT.

He checks the stick and it super high and says there you go it. I was like i am pretty sure its suppose to be between the two holes...he says it was there when i added 5 QT.

I drove back home and i just checked it. I cleaned the stick with towel stuck it in there and its all the way where my tumb is at. I repeated the procedure 3-4 times with same results. Could it be because the engine is hot although i dont think it would matter that much.

Thats what i get for trying to take care of something on july 4th. I tried calling my ford dealership to change the oil but they are only open till 5:30 and i get of work at that time.

What should i do can i drive a day or two like that ?

The thing is i dont even know how it can be that high with 6qt of oil it seems like thats like 10 QT or something. I am starting to think they didnt even drain all the old oil. I am serioulsy considering going to talk to a walmart manager and demanding they give me 6QT of oil and ill just re do the oilchange my self.

***Update***
Went back to walmart this morning at 10am i seriously couldnt sleep well because of this.

-Talked to assistant manager of walmart and he is saying well the car was fine with 5QT and you asked them to add more they did and now you are complaining that its overfilled. I told him they put 5QT in my car when my car takes 6QT and when they actually put 6QT it is overfilled so its common sense there is old oil still in there.

-He calls up service manager and service manager is kinda saying the same thing as assistant manager and he tells me to pull up the car. I go and pull up the car and immediately he is like " ill give you full refund and we will empty out all the oil and even change the filter for you". All these oil stains are unacceptable all this should be cleaned.

I tell him look i dont care about the stains i was going to wash the car today anyway i want you to check my oil he checks it and he shows me that is its a little bit over the second line. He also shows me that oil is clear but he said to keep you happy we will dump this oil and put the new one in and exchange the filter.

I tell him i am not happy letting them work on my car he said you can watch and i will watch and the two techs that are working today have been with us for 10 years the guy that did your oil has been with us for 1.5 months. I will make sure we hold him accountable.

So they did all that.. i ask for them not to fire the guy over $60 dollars but he seemed very pissed about it. I even heard him saying to other 2 employees you guys will be having more hours.

He asked if i plan on coming back i said since you did this i will come back and buy the oil from here but from now on i will be doing my own oil.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

This is why I only let the dealership handle the service on my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
nd4spd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd24 View Post

Better yet, just do it yourself. Then you'll know everything's done correctly. All you really need are ramps (or a jack and jackstands), a socket wrench (13mm or 15mm, I can't remember right off the top of my head), something to drain the oil into, and then something to carry the oil to a place like Autozone or Advanced, where they'll let you dump your old oil in their vat for free.

Also the Oil of your choice and filter of course. If you don't have any of the first things, they're super cheap and you can get them at just about any auto parts stores, and you'll have more tools on-hand for funner things.

I would NEVER let some jagoff at Wal-Mart change my oil, not even the Ford dealership does it right. I like the check they do with the change, but that's about it.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I live in apartment they wont let me change oil. Believe me i would definitely be changing my own oil.

The thing that has me concerned is that there is no way that 6QT of oil would be THAT much so where did all the extra oil come from?

Did they NOT drain all the old oil? If i go to walmart and request they give me 6 QT of oil so i can do my own oilchange is that too much to ask? Am i being a dick?

Ill go to my friends house and change it if i have to but I AM NEVER GIVING SOME IDIOT MY CAR TO WORK ON...NEVER
Old 07-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with doing it yourself. I've always changed my own oil on my older cars. It's nice that I can get the tires rotated with every oil change. And everything is documented for any warranty question.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
I live in apartment they wont let me change oil. Believe me i would definitely be changing my own oil.

The thing that has me concerned is that there is no way that 6QT of oil would be THAT much so where did all the extra oil come from?

Did they NOT drain all the oil? If i go to walmart and request they give me 6 QT of oil so i can do my own oilchange is that too much to ask? Am i being a dick?

Ill go to my friends house and change it if i have to but I AM NEVER GIVING SOME IDIOT MY CAR TO WORK ON...NEVER

Probably added way too much just to be a smart *** when you questioned him about the correct amount of qts.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Did they NOT drain all the old oil? If i go to walmart and request they give me 6 QT of oil so i can do my own oilchange is that too much to ask? Am i being a dick?

I would definitely recommend just going to your buddy's place to do it. Let it drain, have a beer and enjoy not having the headache lol

As for that, there is no way in HELL that is 6qts. I do my changes every time, 6 quarts gets me smack in the middle of those dots, each and every time.

Typically with Quickie Lube places like that, they don't let the pan drain for crap. They might drain it for 5 minutes tops, when really you need to let it slow-drip out for 30-45.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 07-04-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
If there is indeed that much oil in the crank case, I wouldn't drive that car any further than back to Wal-Mart to have them put in the correct amount.
With that much oil, your crank is actually coming in contact with the oil and stirring it around. This can cause the oil to "froth" up which is bad.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Take it back immediately and ask to speak with the service manager. If anything they can just drain a bit out. That extra oil is gonna look for any place it can get out.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spd24 View Post

Pay extra for experts to work under your hood.. Big yes
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Arizona
Bro I feel you. My car is leaking from the plug and filter cause I just had to have someone else do it. Lesson learned and will never go back. I don't like doing it myself cause I have a fear of the jack stands failing
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I know Walmart has everything but that would be the last place I would ever expect a good outcome for my car... There's no jiffy lube? Autozone? Or Midas in driving distance?

Big Jon -
Black 2008 GT "to punish and enslave" edition
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
Regular
Supporter

Jiffy Lube is just the same as Walmart. Its a simple job and they can train anyone to do it. We hired a kid one time to work up top and this kid was so worried about talking to the girls that came in that he forgot to fill the car and sent it out the door with no oil. 15 minutes later they called from the side of the road with a locked up motor. We had to replace the engine in that car and pay for tow and rental. I only take my car to one place if I have to and they are a Mustang family that race every weekend......Father,Mother and Son.

FYI,Moms car is a 1500whp wheel standing pink SN95 beast.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Bro I feel you. My car is leaking from the plug and filter cause I just had to have someone else do it. Lesson learned and will never go back. I don't like doing it myself cause I have a fear of the jack stands failing
I do too, It's always in the back of my mind anyways...
I live in California and I always think to myself, while laying under a car, "I wonder what would happen if there was an earthquake right now?" Lol.
To help with that, after I get the vehicle on the stands and set up like I want it, I'll deliberately do my best to try to knock it off of the jack stands, just to ease any fears I might have.

Regarding, the quick lube places, not only do they not let the oil drain for a while, what really gets me is that most of them don't pre-fill the oil filter with clean oil before they install it. If it's installed empty, your engine doesn't have any oil pressure until the filter gets filled up, at the initial startup.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Check your inbox

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
DIY. I haven't had someone change oil in any of my cars for the past... wait. I've never paid anyone to ever change oil in my cars! Always done it myself, that way I know it's done right.

Keep receipts if you need documentation.

Thought I'd add... there's no good way to prefill the oil filter on our cars. The filter screws on at a 90* angle to the car. Besides, there is enough oil on the top end after running it (always change oil on a warm engine anyway, gets more deposits out), that it should have a film to keep from wearing.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
They probably never put a new filter on.

They would need to remove the panel to change the filter.They may not have known how or just to lazy. Just look and see if the Motorcraft filter is still on your car. Sears here pushes Fram filters for everything.
You can look at your filter and see if they just wiped off the original or a different filter is on your car now.
Also, Let the car sit over night and check it before starting it up.

Over filling is one of the worst things you can do to an engine.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Most filters are at a 90 degree angle. You can still fill them almost all of the way up. As you are spinning it on, the oil will go into the filter media and enough is trapped where it doesn't come pouring out. You have to be quick and keep turning the filter until it's tight. After a couple of oil changes you'll figure out how much is too much...
Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #19
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Most filters are at a 90 degree angle. You can still fill them almost all of the way up. As you are spinning it on, the oil will go into the filter media and enough is trapped where it doesn't come pouring out. You have to be quick and keep turning the filter until it's tight. After a couple of oil changes you'll figure out how much is too much...
Some cars are impossible to do that with. Some of the old Honda's oil filters are right in front of the engine and tilted at 45 degree angle. The old landcruisers oil filters were pretty much in the wheel well and mounted horizontal. I remember having to pull the wheel well halfway out to get to it. I kinda miss managing that shop after talking about it.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Over filling is one of the worst things you can do to an engine.
Ronnie
This ^

Do not drive the car with that much oil in it.

You need to drain the oil and refill it properly to avoid engine failure.

As has been mentioned, that much oil will come in contact with the crank, the crank will aerate the oil as it rotates. When oil is aerated, it will cause the oil to foam or bubble. Once that happens, the oil pump may no longer pump oil throughout the engine as it becomes full of air. Then the engine becomes starved of oil and the oil pressure falls off, once that happens, complete engine failure will quickly happen.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:47 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Windage is bad.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joser714 View Post
Low profile ramps. Problem solved. The ramps I have are rated for 12,000 lbs. WAAAAAAAY more than I would ever need unless I have a damn big rig on the sum*****es but it's the ones they had at the time. (Rhino ramps), they're move than solid.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #23
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Going to Walmart for an oil change was the first and biggest mistake.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

***Update***
Went back to walmart this morning at 10am i seriously couldnt sleep well because of this.

-Talked to assistant manager of walmart and he is saying well the car was fine with 5QT and you asked them to add more they did and now you are complaining that its overfilled. I told him they put 5QT in my car when my car takes 6QT and when they actually put 6QT it is overfilled so its common sense there is old oil still in there.

-He calls up service manager and service manager is kinda saying the same thing as assistant manager and he tells me to pull up the car. I go and pull up the car and immediately he is like " ill give you full refund and we will empty out all the oil and even change the filter for you". All these oil stains are unacceptable all this should be cleaned.

I tell him look i dont care about the stains i was going to wash the car today anyway i want you to check my oil he checks it and he shows me that is its a little bit over the second line. He also shows me that oil is clear but he said to keep you happy we will dump this oil and put the new one in and exchange the filter.

I tell him i am not happy letting them work on my car he said you can watch and i will watch and the two techs that are working today have been with us for 10 years the guy that did your oil has been with us for 1.5 months. I will make sure we hold him accountable.

So they did all that.. i ask for them not to fire the guy over $60 dollars but he seemed very pissed about it. I even heard him saying to other 2 employees you guys will be having more hours.

He asked if i plan on coming back i said since you did this i will come back and buy the oil from here but from now on i will be doing my own oil.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:26 AM   #25
Road Trip!
Regular

Wow that Walmart is one of the few that still cares. I'm actually glad they fixed their mistake and handled it with what seems very minimal argument
Joser714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
i will come back and buy the oil from here but from now on i will be doing my own oil.

Youre not gonna go back are you?
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Man you shouldve just drained a quart like hell yea free oil.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
***Update***

Don't leave us hanging, how much oil came out when they drained it?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Know one cares about your car or your money more than you do. Never forget that. Choose wisely. Help is not on the way.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
i NEVER, EVER take my car to walmart for ANYTHING... nothing but horror stories from that place. i have mechanics that i trust and i go to no one BUT them, when needed for something i can't do at the time.

Past: 13 V6, 11 MCA V6, 89 GT, 88 GT, 04 V6
13BKV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

This is just simple maintenance that you can do yourself and you get the piece of mind that you used the oil you wanted to and the filter you wanted to and drained everything correctly. Anything that I can do myself or learn fairly easily to do myself I will do it

Old 07-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Your car is brand new, and still covered under warranty. If you want to have someone change your oil for you, I would recommend printing out The Works coupon that is always available from Ford. They will change your oil, rotate your tires and check your car over. The coupon is $39.99, you will pay $49.99 because our 3.7 takes 6 quarts instead of 5. This also gives them a record of regular maintenance during your warranty period just incase anything were to ever come up.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you want to have someone change your oil for you, I would recommend printing out The Works coupon that is always available from Ford. They will change your oil, rotate your tires and check your car over. The coupon is $39.99, you will pay $49.99 because our 3.7 takes 6 quarts instead of 5. This also gives them a record of regular maintenance during your warranty period just incase anything were to ever come up.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution[/QUOTE]

Never go anywhere but a dealer for this reason alone. The other added benefit is the guys at the dealership have worked on plenty of Fords, and likely plenty of Mustangs. Once you have proof of Wal Mart changing the oil the Dealership can blame them if there is a problem. It's a big plus not having your Mustang be the first one a guy has ever worked on.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
One possibility is that they never changed your filter so not all the old oil was drained. The new oil would have diluted it enough to where it would still look new.

I've heard this is extremely common at places like this. And honestly who looks at the filter to make sure it's new, your average consumer won't so it's easy for them to get away with it.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just don't get it :p

Ford only charge us 39.99 for Oil, Filter, Tire rotation and fluids fill up and you guys keep going to Walmart and all those cheap places. Why?
Ranger052 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang