Preparing for the Autobahn - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Preparing for the Autobahn

There is a possibility that I may move over to Germany depending on what my options are reenlisting and I had some questions about making my V6 Autobahn ready. I am installing a one piece drive shaft however what else needs to be done if I plan on driving it at high speeds? What tires should I switch to? Do I need to change the brake system? Anything else I should do? I will be taking the governor off which is why I got the one piece drive shaft. Thanks!
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotors View Post
There is a possibility that I may move over to Germany depending on what my options are reenlisting and I had some questions about making my V6 Autobahn ready. I am installing a one piece drive shaft however what else needs to be done if I plan on driving it at high speeds? What tires should I switch to? Do I need to change the brake system? Anything else I should do? I will be taking the governor off which is why I got the one piece drive shaft. Thanks!
Well the first thing you should look into is how much is actually costs to ship a car overseas the right way. The answer is A LOT. Not sure if the military helps you with that or not. It's also a very slow process.

Now to your actual question: Yes to the driveshaft and yes to brakes. The stock brakes, especially if you have the non-Brembo Performance package suck. Now you don't have to go out and get the $2000-3000 big brake kits, a good rotor and pad swap will give you a nice boost in bite. I recommend the Powerstop Street Warrior kit. ~$400 for all four rotors, pads and hardware.

As for tires, look for something with high speed ratings (google tire speed ratings so you know what to look for.) You'll want something grippy, especially if you take it around the mountain roads/hairpins up there. Look through some reviews.

But if you do plan for mountain roads, you'll also need to look at some suspension work. Struts/shocks, springs, panhard bar, sway bars and a good strut tower brace should firm it up.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Well the first thing you should look into is how much is actually costs to ship a car overseas the right way. The answer is A LOT. Not sure if the military helps you with that or not. It's also a very slow process.

Now to your actual question: Yes to the driveshaft and yes to brakes. The stock brakes, especially if you have the non-Brembo Performance package suck. Now you don't have to go out and get the $2000-3000 big brake kits, a good rotor and pad swap will give you a nice boost in bite. I recommend the Powerstop Street Warrior kit. ~$400 for all four rotors, pads and hardware.

As for tires, look for something with high speed ratings (google tire speed ratings so you know what to look for.) You'll want something grippy, especially if you take it around the mountain roads/hairpins up there. Look through some reviews.

But if you do plan for mountain roads, you'll also need to look at some suspension work. Struts/shocks, springs, panhard bar, sway bars and a good strut tower brace should firm it up.
Awesome! Thanks for the info, yes the military will ship cars for free.
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Just remember the Autobahn isn't open speed everywhere, there are lots of parts of it with limits, so don't expect that you will be going 160 all the time.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Preparing for the Autobahn

I've lived there and I'm also in the military. While I didn't have a 11-14 mustang while I was stationed in Germany, I did have my 06 GT vert. So a lot of the same principles will apply. You will need a driveshaft and better brake pads and rotors. I would change out the brake lines to stainless steel ones but not a must. You might also feel you need suspension upgrades as I did but its not necessary. I just felt like the car was more floaty at high speeds with the stock suspension.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang