New axlebacks, and horrible mpg - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #36
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Not reall bad MPG

stolensinner09 said:
Quote:
Anyway, at 75mph on cruise control, I got an average of 25.6mpg. It burned a little under half a tank. 87 octane from Chevron.
That's about what I have been getting since summer started.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBluedude View Post
Waow there is a lot of bull**** in this thread... Your mileage did not appreciably change by changing or removing a muffler. It could have gone down because you get into it deeper. My guess is you swapped the mufflers on a tight budget and now that you're strapped for cash, you're feeling it at the pumps and that's making you look for an answer as to why your wallet is so empty. Guaranteed, your new mufflers did not change your fuel economy.

Money isn't the issue. Never was. I do not drive aggressively. I was only trying to understand why my economy went down and because I love the look and sound of these axlebacks, I was actually hoping someone would debunk the theory that different mufflers=change in fuel economy so I didn't have to go back to stock...

I think most of us concluded that it was a bad tank of gas from Valero.
StolenSinner09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'd say its the valero gas you bought. With my pypes running 83 octane I would average close to 40 mpg cruising at 65mph on the highway if i wasn't stopping or slowing a lot, and that was on summer fuel, using the air conditioner. Buy shell gas, I always get the best gas mileage and performance from them, its the only place I'll buy it from, sometimes Exxon if I don't have a choice.
cjohnson91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2014, 07:14 AM   #39
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm sorry but I can't help but ask.

83octane shell gas ?????
40 miles per gallon?????9 at 65 miles per hour????????

I believe you.
Ronnie
Old 07-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Seems legit.

Do you have a tune?
StolenSinner09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I'd like to know how to get 40 mpg. My daily commute is 130 miles round trip. 115 of those are spent on the highway with the cruise set at 70 and I am between 26.8-27.2 at best with a 93 octane tune.

2012 Performance Package V6
Ford Racing axleback
Airaid CAI
BAMA 93 performance tune
14.432 @ 103.34 mph
First time ever running a 1/4 this was my second pass. 60' times were pretty high. Will only get better with practice!
mrcronin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

You have to baby the hell out of it. I drove a lifted Jeep before my mustang so I learned a lot of little tricks to help improve gas mileage. shell gas gets you the best gas mileage. Keep the car below 2000 rpm's at all times even when accelerating, if your stopped on a downhill slope start out in 2nd gear. Don't accelerate on hills to gain any speed you lose, just let your speed fall off those 5-10mph because once you get over that hill theres most likely a downhill that will build it back up or flat ground where it will even itself back out. If you see a res light up the road dont fly up to it then hit the brakes, just let off the gas and coast towards it, 9 times out of 10 it will turn green before you get to it. Starting from a roll uses a lot less gas than starting from a stop. You won't get 40mpg consistently still. thats what I'll get when I'm able to cruise on road, meaning very few other cars.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson91 View Post
I'd say its the valero gas you bought. With my pypes running 83 octane I would average close to 40 mpg cruising at 65mph on the highway if i wasn't stopping or slowing a lot, and that was on summer fuel, using the air conditioner. Buy shell gas, I always get the best gas mileage and performance from them, its the only place I'll buy it from, sometimes Exxon if I don't have a choice.
Where do you live and is there less gravity there? 83 octane? I think you mean 93 octane, as you can't find 83 octane anywhere in the US and your engine would seize.... I think you meant 93 octane and close to 30 MPG.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You have to baby the hell out of it. I drove a lifted Jeep before my mustang so I learned a lot of little tricks to help improve gas mileage. shell gas gets you the best gas mileage. Keep the car below 2000 rpm's at all times even when accelerating, if your stopped on a downhill slope start out in 2nd gear. Don't accelerate on hills to gain any speed you lose, just let your speed fall off those 5-10mph because once you get over that hill theres most likely a downhill that will build it back up or flat ground where it will even itself back out. If you see a res light up the road dont fly up to it then hit the brakes, just let off the gas and coast towards it, 9 times out of 10 it will turn green before you get to it. Starting from a roll uses a lot less gas than starting from a stop. You won't get 40mpg consistently still. thats what I'll get when I'm able to cruise on road, meaning very few other cars.
You never drive your mustang over 2000 RPMs? What was the point in getting a mustang, you should have just gotten a Prius. I can't believe that you never drive a mustang over 2000 RPMs. You must get somewhere in twice the time it would normally take and people would honk at you constantly. What if you have to merge lanes? Have you ever once had fun in the car if you've never gone over 2k RPMs?
Old 07-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Where do you live and is there less gravity there? 83 octane? I think you mean 93 octane, as you can't find 83 octane anywhere in the US and your engine would seize.... I think you meant 93 octane and close to 30 MPG.
Bealeton VA. I meant 87 that's my bad, thats what happens when you post at 2AM haha. No I just live in a very empty area for the most part. If you are on a highway before 9 AM or after 7 pm theres no other cars to worry about. Like I said, drive a lifted Jeep that gets 9-12mpg and you learn a lot of little tricks to improve your gas mileage.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You never drive your mustang over 2000 RPMs? What was the point in getting a mustang, you should have just gotten a Prius. I can't believe that you never drive a mustang over 2000 RPMs. You must get somewhere in twice the time it would normally take and people would honk at you constantly. What if you have to merge lanes? Have you ever once had fun in the car if you've never gone over 2k RPMs?
No i'm saying If I am on a long drive and am trying to get the best gas mileage possible. Normally I average around 22ish just driving around town. People can honk all they want could care less what their opinion is of me. And shifting at 2000rpms is a normal acceleration for the most part, I never have issues with people getting upset about it or flying past me.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No i'm saying If I am on a long drive and am trying to get the best gas mileage possible. Normally I average around 22ish just driving around town. People can honk all they want could care less what their opinion is of me. And shifting at 2000rpms is a normal acceleration for the most part, I never have issues with people getting upset about it or flying past me.
I guess it's a lot different that living in NY, where there is always busy roads and the worst drivers in the world. I would love to see someone get close to 40 MPG, next time you go on a trip take some pictures/record your gas mileage and the trip length and throw it up here, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in getting that good of mileage on long trips.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I guess it's a lot different that living in NY, where there is always busy roads and the worst drivers in the world. I would love to see someone get close to 40 MPG, next time you go on a trip take some pictures/record your gas mileage and the trip length and throw it up here, I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in getting that good of mileage on long trips.
I'm actually driving down to VA beach tonight, If i remember I'll snag a couple pics/vids before i get on I95 which is a gas mileage killer But yes it is extremely possible out here in the middle of nowhere haha
Old 07-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcronin04 View Post
I'd like to know how to get 40 mpg. My daily commute is 130 miles round trip. 115 of those are spent on the highway with the cruise set at 70 and I am between 26.8-27.2 at best with a 93 octane tune.
Thats the problem is you're using cruise control... haha, its better to control your speed yourself than use cruise. For example if a hill is in the road, just let your speed drop off as you drive up it instead of accelerating, then when it flattens out your speed will build itself back up without you applying more throttle, it'll get on peoples nerves but its one of the best tricks for getting better gas mileage.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

New axlebacks, and horrible mpg

Quote:
Thats the problem is you're using cruise control... haha, its better to control your speed yourself than use cruise. For example if a hill is in the road, just let your speed drop off as you drive up it instead of accelerating, then when it flattens out your speed will build itself back up without you applying more throttle, it'll get on peoples nerves but its one of the best tricks for getting better gas mileage.

There are no hills. Lol. I'm in the Midwest. It's literally a flat 55 miles of interstate south and the same flat 55 miles back north. When I get to town I'm always shifting out of gear and coasting down hills, on on/off ramps, rolling up to stop lights. If I can be out of gear then I am out of gear. And I still only get the barely 27. I only use BP or Shell gas.

Not that I'm complaining about the 27 I mean that's very respectable and better than any car I've ever had. But if someone can get into the 40s then I should be able to be somewhere in the low 30s

Ford Racing axleback
Airaid CAI
BAMA 93 performance tune
14.432 @ 103.34 mph
First time ever running a 1/4 this was my second pass. 60' times were pretty high. Will only get better with practice!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are no hills. Lol. I'm in the Midwest. It's literally a flat 55 miles of interstate south and the same flat 55 miles back north. When I get to town I'm always shifting out of gear and coasting down hills, on on/off ramps, rolling up to stop lights. If I can be out of gear then I am out of gear. And I still only get the barely 27. I only use BP or Shell gas.

Not that I'm complaining about the 27 I mean that's very respectable and better than any car I've ever had. But if someone can get into the 40s then I should be able to be somewhere in the low 30s
You said you're using a 93 tune right? I did this on stock tune running 87 octane, I'm curious to see how I'll do now that I have a 93 octane tune. If I remember I'll post back tonight when I get to the beach about if it made any difference or not. something else to consider is fuel/air quality where you live as well. That could affect it also I would think.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You CAN get 40+ mpg in your Mustang. A lot more:

Mustang for Fuel Efficiency- Ohio 2012 3.7 to RS
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:49 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You said you're using a 93 tune right? I did this on stock tune running 87 octane, I'm curious to see how I'll do now that I have a 93 octane tune. If I remember I'll post back tonight when I get to the beach about if it made any difference or not. something else to consider is fuel/air quality where you live as well. That could affect it also I would think.
Well definitely remember to post your avg MPG and how long the trip was, it will show it on your display just snap some quick pics!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well definitely remember to post your avg MPG and how long the trip was, it will show it on your display just snap some quick pics!
Will do!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:54 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakib View Post
You CAN get 40+ mpg in your Mustang. A lot more:

This took me to a post about speakers?

Ford Racing axleback
Airaid CAI
BAMA 93 performance tune
14.432 @ 103.34 mph
Old 07-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea I'm running a BAMA 93 performance tune. Only had the tune/CAI combo sir about 2 weeks. Been running the 93P since this Sunday. Was going to go a week and see what mpg I get and then this Sunday I plan to switch it over to the 93S and use that for a week and see if there is any difference at all.

Ford Racing axleback
Airaid CAI
BAMA 93 performance tune
14.432 @ 103.34 mph
Old 07-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This took me to a post about speakers?
I don't know why... I just tested it and it took me to the right one. Anyone else? If not, just type that title into your search to get to it. The post is by the user UltArc. Here is the link again for good measure:

Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't know why... I just tested it and it took me to the right one. Anyone else? If not, just type that title into your search to get to it. The post is by the user UltArc. Here is the link again for good measure:

I clicked it and was sent to the right page, Crazy stuff, man, it made my head hurt a little lol. That's awesome he can get that much out of a mustang and how much research he has put into it.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1405696008.640026.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	161705

Lol. It takes me to this page? I'll have to check it later when I can get to a computer I guess.

Ford Racing axleback
Airaid CAI
BAMA 93 performance tune
14.432 @ 103.34 mph
Old 07-18-2014, 10:07 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I clicked it and was sent to the right page, Crazy stuff, man, it made my head hurt a little lol. That's awesome he can get that much out of a mustang and how much research he has put into it.

Yeah, and I like how it's not like he baby's it all the time. He still has fun with the car when he wants to. When that guy posts around this forum you can tell he really knows his stuff.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:48 AM   #61
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
UltArc has some wicked cool stuff he does.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Hey! Didn't realize y'all were talking about me lol. Knowledge is power!

I am aggressive at low speeds, FYI. If I WOT it's only to 60 or so. I don't really go much faster. Keep in mind I run E0, too. 4.499 a gallon, but I keep over 40 mpg, so it doesn't bother me. Going to GWIR for the GGP I actually topped my previous road record of over 47 MPG, CC at 65, climbing hills at 60, and EOC down hills. This beat my 47+ from OH to NC, using a lot of EOC. I imagine the new DS helped, as EOC is usually better than CC. The 49+ was racing Glen Watkins, and my average tanks for normal driving are only 40-42. Keep in mind this might not be easily attainable for others, because of aero improvements. But they are pretty easy to do and cheap to work other than the Roush gear. If anyone has questions on em, feel free to PM me or hit up one of my threads- don't wanna jack this one.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Hey! Didn't realize y'all were talking about me lol. Knowledge is power!

I am aggressive at low speeds, FYI. If I WOT it's only to 60 or so. I don't really go much faster. Keep in mind I run E0, too. 4.499 a gallon, but I keep over 40 mpg, so it doesn't bother me. Going to GWIR for the GGP I actually topped my previous road record of over 47 MPG, CC at 65, climbing hills at 60, and EOC down hills. This beat my 47+ from OH to NC, using a lot of EOC. I imagine the new DS helped, as EOC is usually better than CC. The 49+ was racing Glen Watkins, and my average tanks for normal driving are only 40-42. Keep in mind this might not be easily attainable for others, because of aero improvements. But they are pretty easy to do and cheap to work other than the Roush gear. If anyone has questions on em, feel free to PM me or hit up one of my threads- don't wanna jack this one.

40, 47 mpg what ??? Your computer needs to relearn how to calculate mpg. It is impossible for the car to reach 40 mph unless you take a reading right after pressing the reset button.
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:17 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
40, 47 mpg what ??? Your computer needs to relearn how to calculate mpg. It is impossible for the car to reach 40 mph unless you take a reading right after pressing the reset button.
Read his thread, man. This guy takes mpg very seriously and made many mods to get that figure.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #65
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes---ultarc works on getting Mile Per Gallon

He actually did a fuel economy rally last year. He did post the results on this forum. His thing is all about getting great MPG and he does it well.
OF COURSE I REALLY BELIEVE THAT SOME OTHER PEOPLE ARE GETTING 40 MPG DRIVING NORMAL Yes I really do !!!!

I average 24 to 26 combined using 87 octane driving my car to enjoy the power. The most I ever got was 34mpg on my trip to Pa.
When a person tells me (other then ultarc) they are getting 40MPG in a V6 3.7 Mustang I really do believe them.
Ronnie
Old 07-18-2014, 09:09 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
He actually did a fuel economy rally last year. He did post the results on this forum. His thing is all about getting great MPG and he does it well.
OF COURSE I REALLY BELIEVE THAT SOME OTHER PEOPLE ARE GETTING 40 MPG DRIVING NORMAL Yes I really do !!!!

I average 24 to 26 combined using 87 octane driving my car to enjoy the power. The most I ever got was 34mpg on my trip to Pa.
When a person tells me (other then ultarc) they are getting 40MPG in a V6 3.7 Mustang I really do believe them.
Ronnie
Wow 34 mpg? You got 2.73s? I can never drive that sane
FordMustang12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:32 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post

Read his thread before you dispute that. I fully believe he gets those numbers after reading a few pages and he is the last person I would dispute MPGs with.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 07-18-2014, 10:46 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

To the guy saying that you will avg 40 mpg stock at 65 mph, that is nonsense. You will average between 28 and 32. Now if you are in traffic that is constantly moving relatively quick or behind a truck you can up it up towards 34 with some drafting (maybe 35 to 36 if you're an idiot and got way too close).

Now, if you have hills, you may have an advantage, but on flat ground with a stock engine and aero package on a road without other cars, you won't see more than 30-33
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm...people can choose to believe or not, but I have been fine tuning for years, posting for years, and then went to an SCCA Rally with my tank precisely filled and monitored by the authorized technician, until the set refill by the only authorized person refilled it. The Sport Car Club of America and Green Grand Prix will tell you it was 48 and change, because my odometer is off- with the actual offset incorporated, it's 49.42.

Now when I was just talking about it, yes, there was no tangible proof. In the Mustang, one can just hit reset and it would work to reset it. So it's easy to try and BS it. Let me tell you, the SCCA and GGP did not use my gauge- which only read 41, by the way.

Now my G1 Insight is easier- you can't reset the MPG with out resetting the number of miles. Here is my last tank and my most recent picture of the current tank in the Insight.

By the way, it's funny how 35 is impossible at 65, but Ford did 48.5 doing 43+ including many stops. Closed raceway, no one to draft. http://corporate.ford.com/news-cente...mpg-runs-32844

Before haters want to claim I draft dangerously, getting within a few car lengths of the rear of a car was a 1 MPG penalty- zero tolerance, not permitted.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1405742973180.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	161775   Click image for larger version

Name:	1405743003458.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	161776  

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 07-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Wanted my proof before I posted it- expected highway EPA for the average V6 automatic driver is 25-37 MPG. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean NO ONE can.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1405743748123.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	161777  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang