New axlebacks, and horrible mpg - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

New axlebacks, and horrible mpg

The most recent mod I've done to my car was install a set of Pypes Pype-bomb axlebacks, and now I'm literally watching my fuel gage needle go down when I drive, and I'm driving ever so lightly. I can't figure it out. I just got an alignment so my wheels are straight. I checked my pressure today and it's good. Even threw in a new filter recently. Oil is still good, the only thing that should lower my mileage is the use of the HVAC since it's summer, but not this drastically. If I'm correct, in theory, a less restrictive exhaust system should make for better fuel economy. So why does my car drink like a Shelby?
StolenSinner09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Modern cars are very tweaked right from the factory for great fuel economy. I have always got worse economy whenever I removed the stock mufflers. Some of it is you driving harder to hear your mufflers some is lost power in the lower RPMs where the motor used to be most efficient.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
I do t believe there is any correlation between gas mileage and a muffler. A muffler has absolutely nothing to do with mileage. The only way is that you really like the sound so you get on it more often. In modern cars running the AC also has very little to do with gas mileage. Now they are so efficient that most of the time you wont notice much with the AC on or off.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I do t believe there is any correlation between gas mileage and a muffler. A muffler has absolutely nothing to do with mileage. The only way is that you really like the sound so you get on it more often. In modern cars running the AC also has very little to do with gas mileage. Now they are so efficient that most of the time you wont notice much with the AC on or off.
There actually is a correlation between Exhaust and MPG, on my 2010 taking off the Stock Muffler and putting on a single GT muffler increased it by 2 MPG. I also lost Mileage when I put the Magnaflow Competitions on my 2013, the motor has to work harder to get up into the much higher power band thus using more gas. Putting the Shorties on I gained about .5 per gallon which I think is from the motor working less in the lower RPM's.
To the OP, cruising RPM is well below the Powerband so I think it is from just working harder. After I tried the Magnaflows and lost so much on the lower end everything I have done to my exhaust was to keep or increase the low to midrange, and my car gets better Mileage now than it ever has.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

I'm no engineer or anything but what are we talking about here anyway? Were you getting 23 and now you're getting 15? Or did you go from 20 to 18? I've done a lot of cat backs on vehicles and to say that it changed my milage, I don't think I can. If it does have any affect I'm guessing it's very minor.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I'm no engineer or anything but what are we talking about here anyway? Were you getting 23 and now you're getting 15? Or did you go from 20 to 18? I've done a lot of cat backs on vehicles and to say that it changed my milage, I don't think I can. If it does have any affect I'm guessing it's very minor.

I reset my Avg. Mpg calculator, reads normal, but I burned a quarter of a tank yesterday from only 30 miles. Just casual driving, not pushing the engine or anything.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenSinner09 View Post
The most recent mod I've done to my car was install a set of Pypes Pype-bomb axlebacks, and now I'm literally watching my fuel gage needle go down when I drive, and I'm driving ever so lightly. I can't figure it out. I just got an alignment so my wheels are straight. I checked my pressure today and it's good. Even threw in a new filter recently. Oil is still good, the only thing that should lower my mileage is the use of the HVAC since it's summer, but not this drastically. If I'm correct, in theory, a less restrictive exhaust system should make for better fuel economy. So why does my car drink like a Shelby?
So where is your avg mpg at now? I installed my pype bombs about 3 weeks ago and I haven't noticed a change in mpg, unless I'm really stepping on them, then I can see a drop or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Dcansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Our motors use depend on some back pressure. Pype bombs are pretty free flowing if I remember correctly .
My mpg seemed to drop 1 or 2 mpg when I got the Roush ab. It may have been from giving it a little more to hear it more. But I did see a small change after I got them a year ago. I also noticed after adding the CAI that the sweet spot for shifting was just a tad bit higher. Maybe it's just me watching to closely but it's what iv noticed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I lost 3 MPG with the Magnaflows over 2 tanks of gas, that was even after disconnecting the battery to relearn the idle and extra flow.
What I have figured out on my 3.7 is it is sensitive to small changes and really sensitive to large ones. It is probably the most sensitive to change over any motor I have had in my 35 years of driving.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I didn't see any loss in MPG from AB, but getting on the noise is much more appealing...aka, I do it more. AC will definitely influence it. Our system kind of pulses and slows, but it still hits pretty hard. I'd have to check from the testing I did when I first for the car.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Might be your right foot causing the mpg loss.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
Might be your right foot causing the mpg loss.

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
I would go with this one. The mufflers aren't going to give any semblance of a noticeable power increase. You're talking MAYBE 1-2 HP. What that means is the engine isn't working so hard that it's drinking that much gas. The 3.7 is already a fairly efficient V6 for it's class.

The loss in back pressure will also be tiny going from stock to free-flow. The only way I could see a real MPG drop is if you were silly and straight-piped.

When I did my catback I noticed a change in my MPG, but that was simply because I wanted to hear it more. Driving it like a granny, I saw no difference. I saw some difference when I installed my LTs, but that was positive. (~1-2 mpg) just from a better flowing exhaust.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not driving aggressively. That's the thing.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It won't be your AB causing that much of a mpg drop. If your not driving it harder than usual I'm not sure what could cause that much of a mpg drop.

FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know either man. It's just aggravating...
Old 07-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did you get gas at a different station than usual? Or get a different Octane level than you normally do?

Past that, you can pull Fuse 47 and leave it out for about 10 minutes and then replace it. It will let your Adaptive Learning system re-calibrate when you start it up again and drive it.

Also, double check your work on the ABs and make sure everything is snug down and there are no exhaust leaks.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe you got a bad tank of gas?
Maybe the temperature change due to the season?

sunnytan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Old 07-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Hah! I had exhaust leaks with the stock mufflers, but better mileage, not saying the ABs are the cause but knowing just makes it more bizarre.

Last place I filled at was Valero, 87 octane, like normal. Oh. And I used Lucas Fuel system cleaner couple weeks ago too
Old 07-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hah! I had exhaust leaks with the stock mufflers, but better mileage, not saying the ABs are the cause but knowing just makes it more bizarre.

Last place I filled at was Valero, 87 octane, like normal. Oh. And I used Lucas Fuel system cleaner couple weeks ago too
That can be part of it, the fuel cleaner also boosts the octane temporarily. Might have ran better during the period you had that in the tank.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Gonna watch this thread. Interesting topic. Please post up if you find the problem, if there is a problem.

2008 Roush 427R
2014 V6 Prem
rmb427r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Combination of :::::::

Summer formulated gas ( CRAP) and the Air Conditioner on all the time. You live in Texas where it is really hot. They do change the additives in the gas in the summer. I live in Florida and they do the same thing here. Actually they do it all over America.
Plus the air conditioner take more power to run.
Ronnie

PS: Check this out>http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...ummer-fuel.htm
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:07 AM   #23
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I would bet against AB's causinng any significant mpg change. do a couple of tanks using math and get back to us.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Just topped her off. I'm gonna stretch her legs and take a drive down to Austin, cruise control 75mph all the way and reset my avg mpg. If all is good, I should be able to make that drive to Austin and back using just a little over half a tank.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #25
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
A/C sucking gas is a myth busted .
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Just topped her off. I'm gonna stretch her legs and take a drive down to Austin, cruise control 75mph all the way and reset my avg mpg. If all is good, I should be able to make that drive to Austin and back using just a little over half a tank.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:34 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Update?

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:55 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It would be some work, but if you really thought the performance axle backs are the cause, put the stock ones back on and run it for a tank full. That will eliminate or prove your theory (or thought) that the new ones are the culprit of your recent poor fuel mileage.

Even with the summer blends of gas, and the more usage of the AC (in which I agree with DDTCM that the new ones do not draw a significant amount of power off of the engine anymore), your lower fuel mileage symptom is baffling.

By chance did you install a tune at or around the same time? The stock tune will do some minor tweaking to the fuel/air mapping, but not to the point where you'd be seeing a 5 to 8 MPG loss I'd think.

I have a 2011, with a set of GT500's, some suspension mods, and a 91 MPT tune; my MPG average is sitting at 22 MPG. That's with a lot of afternoon 5:00 PM rush our stop and go traffic. If I get it on the highway cruising, I have seen averages of 26 MPG.

I also have a 3:31 rear gear setup. What's your rear gearing?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:55 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

It would be some work, but if you really thought the performance axle backs are the cause, put the stock ones back on and run it for a tank full. That will eliminate or prove your theory (or thought) that the new ones are the culprit of your recent poor fuel mileage.

Even with the summer blends of gas, and the more usage of the AC (in which I agree with DDTCM that the new ones do not draw a significant amount of power off of the engine anymore), your lower fuel mileage symptom is baffling.

By chance did you install a tune at or around the same time? The stock tune will do some minor tweaking to the fuel/air mapping, but not to the point where you'd be seeing a 5 to 8 MPG loss I'd think.

I have a 2011, with a set of GT500's, some suspension mods, and a 91 MPT tune; my MPG average is sitting at 22 MPG. That's with a lot of afternoon 5:00 PM rush hour stop and go traffic. If I get it on the highway and cruise, I have seen averages of 26 MPG.

I also have a 3:31 rear gear setup. What's your rear gearing?
Old 07-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I thought my results posted but I guess the app dorked out...
Anyway, at 75mph on cruise control, I got an average of 25.6mpg. It burned a little under half a tank. 87 octane from Chevron.

To Bucko, I didn't get a tune and my gearing is still stock.

Since I took that drive, driving around town I've been getting 19.2mpg, but I'm not burning as much gas as before. So it was either poor fuel quality from Valero or maybe she just needed to stretch the legs out. I dunno. I'm still stupefied about it.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

UltArc is the fuel economy guru on this forum. He gets like 40-50 mpg and is an active member of some eco-modding group. He has Roush axle backs. I don't know whether the type of axle back is going to make much difference. But the fact that he has an after market axle back and is the biggest stickler for fuel economy here gives me confidence that the muffler is not the source of your problem.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sakib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I still say it's running the A/C. When I got mine in April didn't need the A/C and was getting 26.5-27 mpg. Come May and started to use the A/C I noticed it drop into the low 25s.

Stopped using my A/C and it went back up. Now just always have the windows down. Lol

14.432 @ 103.34 mph
First time ever running a 1/4 this was my second pass. 60' times were pretty high. Will only get better with practice!
mrcronin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Valero gas has always caused any car I've owned to run pretty poorly.
CUBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I have the Roush axle-back and I notice no difference in gas mileage.
mkashew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:00 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Waow there is a lot of bull**** in this thread... Your mileage did not appreciably change by changing or removing a muffler. It could have gone down because you get into it deeper. My guess is you swapped the mufflers on a tight budget and now that you're strapped for cash, you're feeling it at the pumps and that's making you look for an answer as to why your wallet is so empty. Guaranteed, your new mufflers did not change your fuel economy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang