Custom one piece drive shaft. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Custom one piece drive shaft.

Hey guys, I'm looking into upgrading from my factory two piece driveshaft to a one piece aluminum. Now I am aware they offer then on most aftermarket sites but I'm actually looking into this driveline shop in my area that custom makes them.

The trouble I'm having here is that they are asking me for the "dimensions" and I can't find them online.

Does anyone happen to know the exact dimensions of our factory driveshafts so I can forward it to them? Please excuse my ignorance lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Prezona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezona View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking into upgrading from my factory two piece driveshaft to a one piece aluminum. Now I am aware they offer then on most aftermarket sites but I'm actually looking into this driveline shop in my area that custom makes them.

The trouble I'm having here is that they are asking me for the "dimensions" and I can't find them online.

Does anyone happen to know the exact dimensions of our factory driveshafts so I can forward it to them? Please excuse my ignorance lol.

Most of the driveshafts are 3.5" or 4" in diameter. As for the length, they can probably figure that out by just having them look at the car. That bit of info I can't find.

The only other info is what I could nab from other offerings:

6061 T-6 aluminum with a 0.125'' wall thickness and has a 4" diameter. Universal joints have clearances less than 0.002'' and driveshafts have less than 0.010'' runout.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
DUH !!!!

They can't figure it out or have access to their own research. They really must be capable of building a high quality drive shaft that you can depend on.

These late model drive shafts are not like the old days when it was a pipe with a universal joint on each end.

Do your self a huge favor and get a quality drive shaft from a well known company.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Most of the driveshafts are 3.5" or 4" in diameter. As for the length, they can probably figure that out by just having them look at the car. That bit of info I can't find.

The only other info is what I could nab from other offerings:

6061 T-6 aluminum with a 0.125'' wall thickness and has a 4" diameter. Universal joints have clearances less than 0.002'' and driveshafts have less than 0.010'' runout.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll have to forward them that and see if it's enough for them to cook me up one!

Old 07-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
They can't figure it out or have access to their own research. They really must be capable of building a high quality drive shaft that you can depend on.

These late model drive shafts are not like the old days when it was a pipe with a universal joint on each end.

Do your self a huge favor and get a quality drive shaft from a well known company.

Ronnie

Lol hey man I hear ya.

I dont know though because I just can't push myself to spend $800 on one off an aftermarket site. I wonder if I just give them the dimensions of the DSS one they offer on AM if they would make a similar one for me?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
This could very well be a case of "you get what you pay for." Buyer beware. Lol good luck!
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Lol hey man I hear ya.

I dont know though because I just can't push myself to spend $800 on one off an aftermarket site. I wonder if I just give them the dimensions of the DSS one they offer on AM if they would make a similar one for me?

No idea what that shop will charge, but I can't imagine it will be THAT much less in all honesty. To produce a driveshaft the proper way isn't cheap.

There's this one by Coast performance for $689:

2011-2014 Mustang V6 Coast Performance 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft CD62126
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Ronnie has the right idea on this one. A driveshaft is a pretty important part and you want someone who has a serious clue working on it. I wouldn't touch a driveshaft from a shop that was asking me for specs and dimensions any more than I would run tires from a company that would ask me for specs.

The exception being if you are having something designed for a custom performance application. In this case though, you should already have the specifications for dimensions, angles, mass, balance, material strengths for torsion and sheer loads, etc...

Since you are asking on here, and the above scenario is not the case, please, please do yourself a favor and avoid having someone cook something up. Get something from a reputable aftermarket company.

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

American Muscle has two different one's

They price one at $759.00 from the drive shaft shop.
The other is $709.00
When you get fifty posts you can get the American Muscle discount code and save 6% along with free shipping.
The one from the Drive Shaft Shop comes complete and all you need to do is remove your two piece and replace it with this one. Eight nuts to remove and put back in. So easy a caveman could do it.
You only have 25 more posts to go.
Ronnie
Old 07-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Yeah I agree. I just bought a one piece from American Muscle, it's the $709.00 one. I'm having it iinstalled while I'm over here in Afghanistan. Think about it this way would you rather spend a couple hundred extra from a reputable company or take the risk and completely F$#@ something up which will eventually cost more money down the road?
rotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Also what kinda balancing are they doing?

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you to everyone for their insight. Yeah I'm glad I posted here before I did anything. It will be worth it to buy a quality one. The cheapskate in me always tried to get the best of me.

I'll save up for the DSS piece after I install my 3.73 gears!!

Old 07-07-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I suggest you do the drive shaft first.

After you change the ratio your stock shaft will spin faster.
It probably won't hurt anything but at least you will have a secure feeling after you do change the gears.
Ronnie
Old 07-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Thank you to everyone for their insight. Yeah I'm glad I posted here before I did anything. It will be worth it to buy a quality one. The cheapskate in me always tried to get the best of me.

Glad to see you came to your senses. Some things in life, you can cheap out on. A driveshaft is not something you just want to go cheap. Go with a good quality one piece aluminum driveshaft. I got mine from AM made by the Axle Exchange.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

When you are ready to buy, I saw DynoTech drive shafts at cjponyparts.com for $672.00.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang