2.73 vs 3.31 vs 3.73 gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
2.73 vs 3.31 vs 3.73 gears

Have any of u guys had the following mod changed? How has mpg been affected? What about 0-60 times? Is 6th hear basically ineffective?
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Hasn't this been beat to death already?? Just sayin...
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
2.73= horrible, 3.31=better, 3.55=good,3.73=gooder,4.10= insane. Mpgs, 2.73=best,3.31=very good, 3.55=good, 3.73= not bad, 4.10=worse. Hope this helps.

2013 3.7 Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

What were ur 0-60 times w stock 2.73 and updated ones?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, don't have the track apps.

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The 2.73s are pretty bad, but i raced a '10 4.6 with 3.73s today and he was barely faster than me. He was actually pretty stunned after cause aside from a catback and k&n drop-in filter, im stock. He has the 3.73s, as well as a roush cai, o/r x-pipe, axlebacks, and was runnin a 93 bama tune.

I think even if i just had 3.31s i could have beaten him
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
What were ur 0-60 times w stock 2.73 and updated ones?
All I can say.....best mod I've done so far by far!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
The 2.73s are pretty bad, but i raced a '10 4.6 with 3.73s today and he was barely faster than me. He was actually pretty stunned after cause aside from a catback and k&n drop-in filter, im stock. He has the 3.73s, as well as a roush cai, o/r x-pipe, axlebacks, and was runnin a 93 bama tune.

That's encouraging from someone who has axlebacks, drop-in and 2.73 in untuned auto. Was he stick and having problems shifting? Are you auto?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Why would anyone resort to an automatic?
Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't know, let's see...consistent and accurate shifting on the dragstrip? Quicker shifting than a human?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm surprised that he just barely beat you if your stock on 2.73s to boot. I love my 3.7 and yes we do have very close HP numbers to a 10gt but they have quite a bit more tq, (325) and he was running a 93 race tune with an offroad x and the factory 3.73s.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Uh oh ...............

Old 07-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
As grabber pointed out, it shifts faster than anyone ever can. Obviously more consistent, and as a result... FASTER. Plus it's easier to drive, not a pain in traffic, about the only thing the manual has going for it is that it's more engaging.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I think its just a stigmatism about autos in a mustang. IMO ford makes a fantastic auto in the mustang and really just comes down to personal preference. I think people should finally realise that autos in mustangs are "just as cool" as manuals......but BTW manuals are a little faster. Lol

Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
That's encouraging from someone who has axlebacks, drop-in and 2.73 in untuned auto. Was he stick and having problems shifting? Are you auto?

No i got manual. And its a catback, dynomax to be exact
Old 07-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No i got manual. And its a catback, dynomax to be exact

Was he stick or auto?

Got it. I was referring to myself when I mentioned someone with axlebacks.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
I'm surprised that he just barely beat you if your stock on 2.73s to boot. I love my 3.7 and yes we do have very close HP numbers to a 10gt but they have quite a bit more tq, (325) and he was running a 93 race tune with an offroad x and the factory 3.73s.

I was quite surprised too, always thought his car was faster than mine. Been in it and it feels more torque-y. He can roast the tires through 2 gears as well. He didnt pull any of the classic "oh i messed a shift up, or shifted too early" talk either. all he could manage to say about it was "well my cars got more off the line"

More proof these 3.7s ain't no joke. He always asks why i didnt get a gt, guess i gotta ask why he didnt get a v6 now haha
Old 07-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Was he stick or auto?

Got it. I was referring to myself when I mentioned someone with axlebacks.

Hes also got a manual.

Oh ok haha gotcha
Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was quite surprised too, always thought his car was faster than mine. Been in it and it feels more torque-y. He can roast the tires through 2 gears as well. He didnt pull any of the classic "oh i messed a shift up, or shifted too early" talk either. all he could manage to say about it was "well my cars got more off the line"

More proof these 3.7s ain't no joke. He always asks why i didnt get a gt, guess i gotta ask why he didnt get a v6 now haha
+1, these 3.7s are slowly gaining some respect from the GT guys.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hes also got a manual.

Oh ok haha gotcha

No problem, and I should have paid a little more attention myself. When I first read your post, I thought you had axlebacks also. Guess I glazed right over catbacks.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

As far as i know his shifts were on. His off-road x makes it heard for miles and they sounded ok. He didnt have any excuses for his shifting after so i assume it was ok. I know mine were bang on lol. i had a point to prove, no way was i messin up
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Have any of u guys had the following mod changed? How has mpg been affected? What about 0-60 times? Is 6th hear basically ineffective?

AM has info on their website that goes into detail about gears, including what rpm youll be at in different gears at certain speeds. From all ive seen and heard the mpg isnt affected much, but the fun factor will make you forget about gas mileage entirely. 6th gear is never ineffective lol youll just have to take into account the change in rpm youll be at cruising speeds incase you have a particularly loud exhaust or some drone since itll most likely be a few hundred rpm higher.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:22 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Let's put it this way switching from 2.73 gears to 3.73 and a tune omg it felt like a diffrent car completely those two r by far the best bang for ur buck guaranteed

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #24
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
From a standing stop a 2.73 work great

I'm talking "STREET TIRES"
The 2.73 automatic is hard to beat off the line.
The 3.31 are not really bad but do produce more wheel spin.
Get up to the 4.10 ratio and you need some sort of drag slicks to get it going.

Now going down the road at any speed roll on. Any lower ratio will out perform a 2.73. ( Except top speed and Miles per gallon.)

I have not once seen a stock GT with a faster time then a Stock 3.7 V6 automatic at the drag strip. The stone stock GT just has way to much wheel spin. This is with "STREET TIRES" Put Drag titres on the GT and it is a total different story. Put drag tires on both and the GT will win every time. Talking Automatics NOT Manuals because most people can't properly shift a manual and that is why they get beat.

You can't say a manual is better then the automatic because both are excellent transmissions.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #25

Region: Colorado
Has anyone switched the gears themselves? I have done some research (youtube) on how hard it would be to attempt on my own. Just looking for some advice if anyone else has done it and how hard it is. Or if it is one of the things that should be professionally done?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I'm talking "STREET TIRES"
The 2.73 automatic is hard to beat off the line.
The 3.31 are not really bad but do produce more wheel spin.
Get up to the 4.10 ratio and you need some sort of drag slicks to get it going.

Now going down the road at any speed roll on. Any lower ratio will out perform a 2.73. ( Except top speed and Miles per gallon.)

I have not once seen a stock GT with a faster time then a Stock 3.7 V6 automatic at the drag strip. The stone stock GT just has way to much wheel spin. This is with "STREET TIRES" Put Drag titres on the GT and it is a total different story. Put drag tires on both and the GT will win every time. Talking Automatics NOT Manuals because most people can't properly shift a manual and that is why they get beat.

You can't say a manual is better then the automatic because both are excellent transmissions.
Ronnie
Anyone who can manage their manuals with 3.73s will out launch an auto with 2.73s. Its funny how auto guys think that all manual drivers have no clue how to manage their transmissions and will always be beaten by an auto guy. I'm not picking on auto guys but c'mon. If I want I could light my tires up on launch or launch consistently with little to zero tire spin all day long with street tires. Not all manual drivers are clueless on how to drive a stick. Just saying. BTW I have no problem with auto Stang's, IMO they are just as good as manuals.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
Old 07-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
umm my gf's TUNED a6 v6 with 2.73 was cutting 2.2-2.3 60 fts lol... leaving off the footbrake at anywhere from 1500-2500 rpms, leaving right off idle, it didnt make a difference... Thats not beating anything off the line.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I tuned my 3.7 before I did my gears, and I'd have a hard time beating a ice cream truck off the line. Lol

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Some can but most can't

You are experienced and probably can hole shot an automatic using your street tires. You are the exception.
The next time you go to the drag strip you should watch the kid that has a new GT with a manual and notice the 1/4 mile ET.
I know at Orlando Speed World and Gainesville both have run what ya brung street type racing. It always amazes me that the manual GT as well as the Camaro's and Chargers with the manuals seem to do nothing but spin tires and have crummy ET's. Get a kid with a new anyone of them cars with an automatic and they always do better.
It takes practice and experience to do what you do and I would bet Money that if you were driving a V6 against a kid in his new GT that you would crush him every time.
90% of the people just don;t have the skill to handle a Manual transmission with a Mustang GT.
I'm taking "STREET TIRES " Not Drag radials.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang