10.7 Second 3.7L - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green5.0 View Post
So many people who don't have the new 5.0 get so but hurt when they are mentioned. Enjoy what you have. Who cares who has done what and who knows how to do what. I will say one thing. If rapinator has something to say, he is the one I would listen to because just being around on this forum, you can tell which people know their stuff and he is one of them, just like deerslayer.Mod what you have and don't worry about what you don't.
+1, well said! We all drive mustangs and that what's MOST important!

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 10:34 PM   #72
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobypaw3 View Post
The V8 was brought in to this post by a V6 owner. saying that since this V6 is impressive the V8's are not needed? That is what started the whole V6/V8 arguing.

End of topic!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
While someone else may have made a comment you didn't like, it's not an argument until a response is made. I just ask that you try to ignore comments like that just as I do. I've also learned that using the "ignore user" option makes things easier. Half of the comments like that are made just to get a reaction from people, others are just worded poorly and aren't intended to offend.

Sent from your mom's house.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The V8 was brought in to this post by a V6 owner. saying that since this V6 is impressive the V8's are not needed? That is what started the whole V6/V8 arguing.

End of topic!!!

Wait until the eco 4 guys get on this forum next year! Lol

GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Good Lord people lol.. now Idk about yall but I can't wait till this turbo comes to market

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-12-2014, 12:39 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat View Post
Yes, back on track please. I created this thread to share someone's accomplishment in a 3.7, not to compare it to V8s past and present to try to make it seem better than them. All Mustangs can be fun and fast, simple as that.

Finally someone who makes sense....

Nice. I lived in Cibolo for a few years and went to college for a semester in San Marcos.

Sent from your mom's house.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:30 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
I quoted you on a couple things but added Smurf stang in the quote too. Go back and read it. You will see where i state his name in my post on your quote. I'm using the iPhone and can not do multiple quotes in one posting. It's quicker to do it the way I did than have a ton of post on here. Sorry you got confused.

No problem man
I just dont like having problems with anybody and i thought you had called me a smurf lol
This is a mustang forum no matter wether its a V6 or V8 theyre all great cars. Lets enjoy them 👍

mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:38 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

3.7 DOHC & tube

It may just be wishful thinking but, I just took delivery of a 2014 DIB 3.7 & it seems like it's faster than my 2012 3.7. I put an Airaid "tube" on it two days ago & that got me 2 mpg better mileage on the Hwy. These 3.7 DOHC ponies continue to amaze!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Injury & DIB 019.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	161276  
Old 07-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #78

Region: Florida
Quote:
So Smurf you are saying I need a Foxbody to go fast? PLEEEEEASE!!! Bwahahaha!!! Do you know what the fastest quarter mile 5.0L is in the world? That's right a coyote. It is a built. TT 5.0L with 2138hp runs 7 seconds at over 200 mph. So you can take that foxbody and stick it up your @$$!!! The coyote can easily handle up to 600rwhp close to 700-750 at the crank before motor work is needed. No previous GT motor can do that. You need to build up the old 5.0L and stroke them to make big power. I could drop a mere $2000 and be in the low to mid 11's without losing any sleep. The coyote has the most potential out of any 5.0L. excluding the Boss of course.

FYI the new 5.0L are a much better daily driver you can build to go really fast. Rides much better than a foxbody. Also a lot of fast foxbodies have LS motor in them. Who wants a chevy powered foxbody? Not me!!!

I agree that technology and the newer engines have brought them way past that of the previous 5.0, but who can argue with style and grace! The foxbody 5.0 is an icon!!
SallyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
V6 guys if you're going to slam a V8 what do you expect in return??? Takes one to start a war.

I never slammed V-8s, I just said I never really liked them. As an Import guy who drives on the street they just don't do much for me. Yes, I have owned a few. I want Ford to sell whatever helps them make a profit and stay in business.
chitownpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #80
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I sure don't agree with that at all

V8's are needed for those that want them. The V6 is a great engine but not for everyone. I personally love my 3.7 V6 Cyclone engine.
*******************************BUT***************************************************
I also like the V8 but just don't need it for my style of driving. Both engines are really great and it gives a choice. One is not "BETTER" then the other but totally different.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

OK guys, if you want to continue to bash each other please use the P.M option.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California

I just watched that video again and those guys certainly deserve some respect for what they achieved.
Nobody here can, honestly, deny that a lot of hard work and ingenuity went into that car.
If we all had the same taste in cars, it would be pretty boring out on the roads. In fact, it might resemble 1970 Soviet Union somewhat.
Everyone better get used to the small displacement turbo's because, as stated earlier, in a year, we'll be having the new Eco-boost forum on here.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

V8 / V6 they both have there place some prefer the V6 for better fuel economy
etc... to each his own I however prefer my V8 , nothing beats the sound
and rumble of a V8 , but that's just my 2 c.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do it Smurf started it all. he he!!!

What a tattle tail, now go to the corner.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The v6 still has better internals from the factory except for the pistons. The 5.0 is going to be faster because of its cams, 2 extra cylinders, and displacement of course. The 5.0 is an awesome car to drive, but on a track due to weight distribution, I would prefer a tuned and moded v6. Better balance and on a curvy track......not many places to open up that v8. The 0-100 times aren't far enough apart to guarantee a definite diatonic of a 5.0 over the v6. hopefully I made a good example of how each car has its own potential.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang View Post
The v6 still has better internals from the factory except for the pistons. The 5.0 is going to be faster because of its cams, 2 extra cylinders, and displacement of course. The 5.0 is an awesome car to drive, but on a track due to weight distribution, I would prefer a tuned and moded v6. Better balance and on a curvy track......not many places to open up that v8. The 0-100 times aren't far enough apart to guarantee a definite diatonic of a 5.0 over the v6. hopefully I made a good example of how each car has its own potential.

Hahaha hahahha hahahha hahahahahhahah a hahahhahahahahhabababba

The weakest part of the 5.0 is the pistons. So next please.

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

I meant the pistons of the v6. They are cast. I am saying the 5.0 internals are not as good.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I meant the pistons of the v6. They are cast. I am saying the 5.0 internals are not as good.

The crank in the 5.0 is good for 1500. The pistons are the weak link. Really thin ring glands

Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

And yes the pistons as well as other parts are weak on the 5.0. The v6 has better internals BESIDES it's pistons which blow as well.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

The stock 5.0 internals can handle 600. My stock pistons let go at 611

Old 07-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Perfect example because the 3.7 pistons are the only part that has failed builders at 600whp. Soooo the capabilities of both engines are very equal in terms of capability. No clue why ford used ****ty pistons on the 3.7. Or non forged rods and pistons on the 5.0. Give me a 500 whp v6 and the weight difference and the distribution give it the advantage for track driving. The 5.0 is a beast on a drag or in a straight line though

Old 07-17-2014, 08:45 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The stock 5.0 internals can handle 600. My stock pistons let go at 611

Did your pistons let go when you car was on dyno? Or some other scenario? I'm curious since I've seen a few KB/Vortex blown cars putting 640 to the wheels, safely, as claimed. I might be wrong, but I guess these KB numbers are also posted on their website? Now how long you can safely run such high numbers on a stock motor is a debatebale question, with tons of variables.

Reason I ask about safe hp range of 5.0 is cuz im planning on getting one next year, and ultimately going FI route with it.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

I have seen the same numbers. I don't own a 5.0 but have done lots of research and worked on my cousins alot. I have a 3.7 and both engines tend to have piston failure around 600ish whp. If your going fi do it right and get forged internals. You will be able to run more boost and your engine with last longer.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have seen the same numbers. I don't own a 5.0 but have done lots of research and worked on my cousins alot. I have a 3.7 and both engines tend to have piston failure around 600ish whp. If your going fi do it right and get forged internals. You will be able to run more boost and your engine with last longer.

As with most any engine forge it if you want massive Hp otherwise you are on borrowed time , as I have said before 550 HP for the 5.0 is about the max
you can push through it safely even at that level there are no guarantees but it's a fairly safe number.

Rapinator blew his at 611 , sounds about right.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

I saw another forum where a guy with a v6 blew his at 600. Same way too, piston failed. Everything else was fine

Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You're absolutely right about having forged internals but practically speaking, anything with >700rwhp would be too quick for a DD/street car in my opinion. I don't think you would even get into 3rd gear on city roads where speed limits are 30-40mph lol.

I guess a KB with stock motor would be more than enough for an average city Joe like me, who wouldn't see track more than couple times a season. Was just wondering about the power limits without going forged way

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Ps: not to jack this thread (even though I already have lol), a forged build including labor and parts would take at least $4-5K right. Imo, it be a better choice to go with an aluminator instead (~8k?), by trading in/selling your stock 5.0 for about $3500-4500 (fair price for a used engine?). This way you would have everything fresh and new for your FI setup, including lower compression ratio for higher boost.

Just a thought.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 07-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Ps: not to jack this thread (even though I already have lol), a forged build including labor and parts would take at least $4-5K right. Imo, it be a better choice to go with an aluminator instead (~8k?), by trading in/selling your stock 5.0 for about $3500-4500 (fair price for a used engine?). This way you would have everything fresh and new for your FI setup, including lower compression ratio for higher boost.

Just a thought.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Yup an aluminator would be a good choice for high HP applications. Forging is not cheap upgrading to a better motor would eliminate this.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:15 AM   #99
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
V6 guys if you're going to slam a V8 what do you expect in return??? Takes one to start a war.

Usually you should show a little restraint and respect when in the other guys house. This is the 2011-2014 V6 section, not the V8 section, which would have been a different ball game. Viking fans don't usually go to Green Bay and start trash talking the Packers in a Packer bar.. And if you already know how good something is, no need to defend it. Those that whine the most about being better, are usually the ones that wish what they have could do better. V6 fans come here to see the latest that's happening in the V6 world, and if that means at times better stuff than some V8's, so what, it's their section to gloat in.
14mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #100
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
When I priced them out with the best countrywide prices I could find on either the base or GT with ONLY an auto, there was an $8300 difference (plus 531 extra sales tax). So I have close to 9 grand to play with.

Already got GT wheels/tires take offs $900
(keep stock wheels /tires for winter).

Other mods.

Turbo kit-$5400 (claim of trapping over 120 MPH)
Tune-$600
Sway bars-$400
Driveshaft-$350
GT front rotors/caliper brackets -$300ish (guessing)

Besides the cheaper price of the V6, I did not want another rough riding car (have two already), so I'd keep the V6 springs and struts. And this thing would be a bit of a sleeper. Downside is no warantee to V6 build above, but the drivetrain is pretty stout and I think you would still keep warantee on things like AC or electrical problems.

Of course you could make the GT faster with mods and ultimate 10/10'ths handlling would probably go to the GT, but a lot more money overall too.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #101
Registered Member
Regular

Thats crazy. Wish they would do that to mine.. for free lol
cameron43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang