Just ordered my first MPT tune. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just ordered my first MPT tune.

I ordered my first MPT tune yesterday to go along with my Bama tunes and I have pretty high expectations due to all of the great reviews on this forum!

I ordered the 91 performance(engine) Race(transmission) tune and I'm wondering if I should give MPT a call and change the trans setting over to their "street."

I searched for similar threads discussing the differences between street and race trans settings and couldn't find anything so I thought I would ask.

Can anyone give me a good comparison of the race and street settings?

My driving habits are city driving light to light. I'm sort of thinking the race tune will be too aggressive on the tranny for city driving but would the street be too big of a compromise of power?

Thanks in advance guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Prezona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Keep with the race setting. I went through the same thought process you did. I nearly called mpt back to switch to street but I'm glad I didn't. My car is my daily too and the race setting is great. Plus.. the quicker the shift, the better it is for your transmission.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have my girlfriends A6 v6 set up with the race transmission. Its a bit harsh / firm on the 1-2 shift, but the rest are fine / normal. All in all its a solid tune, and even on her car with just an intake on 93 made a very noticeable difference.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
I have my girlfriends A6 v6 set up with the race transmission. Its a bit harsh / firm on the 1-2 shift, but the rest are fine / normal. All in all its a solid tune, and even on her car with just an intake on 93 made a very noticeable difference.
I will give you that, the 1-2 shift kind of makes the car jolt a little because the shifts are so firm. But its nothing that you wont get used too or that's really too much to make the ride uncomfortable. I actually like it.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Keep with the race setting. I went through the same thought process you did. I nearly called mpt back to switch to street but I'm glad I didn't. My car is my daily too and the race setting is great. Plus.. the quicker the shift, the better it is for your transmission.
Ahh nice to know I'm not alone! Lol is really able to get used to? I mean I love fast take offs but I'm just worried about when traffic is really bad light to light. Yeah I think I'll keep it because the gains on the higher RPM band should be worth it alone ha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Right on dude. Do you have any experience with switching from bama to MPT? If so was it a big jump?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezona View Post

Right on dude. Do you have any experience with switching from bama to MPT? If so was it a big jump?

Sure dont, the only tune that has been on her car is MPT. I had a bama tune on my 5.0 for a bit before i switched to AED and have nothing bad to say about it, it got the job done.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I used to have a Bama 91 Hybrid tune and from Bama to MPT it was a HUGE difference at least for me it was

mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I cant speak to the auto part as I have a manual but I switched from Bama to MPT and the difference was night and day for me. I did do some datalogs to get it to be as safely aggressive as possible though and I couldn't be happier. Also great customer service compared to Bama who has some of the worst imo. A.M. is great but Bama def. lacks in the CS department.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
To all that Mpt tune out there, do you guys notice that the fan is always on? Even if you're not using the ac.. Is it there for safety reason for the tune?
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm, i cant say i noticed that on My GF's car, but we're usually in mine. I'll take a look at that later. Driving in the summer months, if the coolant temps are high enough i know the fan will kick on regardless of AC or not... maybe thats whats happening.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
To all that Mpt tune out there, do you guys notice that the fan is always on? Even if you're not using the ac.. Is it there for safety reason for the tune?
Yes, my fan is much more active with my MPT tune. Its perfectly normal. Its because the tune is more aggressive so the fan needs to be on more often to keep the engine cool.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes, my fan is much more active with my MPT tune. Its perfectly normal. Its because the tune is more aggressive so the fan needs to be on more often to keep the engine cool.
Good thanks I'm not the only one, Mpt is the beast it's just makes driving so much fun. I have steeda, Bama, and my Mpt is the only tune I used.. I wish I could return the other two tunes I have but oh well.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
^Same here. Shunc01, I wouldn't say it's on all the time but it cuts on and off more with my MPT tune than it does stock or with a Bama tune.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
^Same here. Shunc01, I wouldn't say it's on all the time but it cuts on and off more with my MPT tune than it does stock or with a Bama tune.
Yeah its weird it goes on and off but I don't know if you guys tried this everytime my car gets sloppy I always put the car back in Stock and put the tune back on and it's night and day. I know about the fuse 47 and I tried those but I don't see any difference. I just have my shorty headers for about a month now and I can truly see the difference from my Mpt tune and the new headers I dont have to reset the tune anymore.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm so glad that you said this so I know I'm not the only one. I have to tune the car every 5 days or so or it starts to get sloppy/ doesn't accelerate hard. I tried the fuse 47 pull and it seems to work sometimes but not always. I almost brought the car into ford this week because of it.
Do they know that your tuned? Yeah I do this once in a while. I wish there is something to keep them fresh all the time instead of resetting them.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do they know that your tuned? Yeah I do this once in a while. I wish there is something to keep them fresh all the time instead of resetting them.
No but it gets so aggravating sometimes that I'm willing to just pay for the service. Like for example: ill be cruising at 60mph in 5th gear, then ill floor it and it doesn't drop into a lower gear so it can accelerate hard, just kind of takes off in 5th with no power. I know its not my mpt tune because it did it with bama also. But then after I retune the car, its fresh again and runs like a beast. this only starts happening to me about 5 or 6 days after I tune. But yea, like you said I wish there was a way to keep the car fresh.

edit: sorry didn't mean to thread jack.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:15 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No but it gets so aggravating sometimes that I'm willing to just pay for the service. Like for example: ill be cruising at 60mph in 5th gear, then ill floor it and it doesn't drop into a lower gear so it can accelerate hard, just kind of takes off in 5th with no power. I know its not my mpt tune because it did it with bama also. But then after I retune the car, its fresh again and runs like a beast. this only starts happening to me about 5 or 6 days after I tune. But yea, like you said I wish there was a way to keep the car fresh.

I'm thread jacking too but this is also for the op as well since we all have the same tune and it's nice to have different experience with there tune. As for you Mickey Gaga the only solve for this is shorty headers since I got mine I dont have to reset it anymore hopefully I didn't speak too soon but the car pulls Hard in every gears and I have it for a month now.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting, maybe ill give them a try. thanks. I just wish I knew if there was something wrong with the car or if this is normal. Its so temperamental sometimes.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Interesting, maybe ill give them a try. thanks. I just wish I knew if there was something wrong with the car or if this is normal. Its so temperamental sometimes.
I would say it's normal as long there is no check engine light or anything weird I was like that before where I push the gas pedal really hard and I have the big lag in throttle but the resetting helps it, so far im not doing it as of now hopefully it won't change.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I run my MPT 93 octane race tune all the time on my automatic. My low end torque feels so strong for all these East Tennessee hills . I like my $75 MPT tunes better than my $200 Evolution Performance (Jon Lund) tune. Just saying.............
Little Red. 2011 V6. Automatic Trans., C&L CAI, JLT Catch Can, BBK Ceramic Coated Long Tube Headers with BBK Catted X Pipe, Axle Exchange (American Muscle) Aluminum DriveShaft, GT 500 Lower Control Arms, Koni (orange) Dampers, Steeda Watts Link, Ford Racing 3.73 Gears, Magnaflow Street Series Axle Backs and a few more mods....Wifes car, 2014 Ford Edge Limited.
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post
I run my MPT 93 octane race tune all the time on my automatic. My low end torque feels so strong for all these East Tennessee hills . I like my $75 MPT tunes better than my $200 Evolution Performance (Jon Lund) tune. Just saying.............
Interesting compared to Lund tune Mpt still better? I was gonna try them out since everybody is raving for them. Got me thinking..
Old 07-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
I cant speak to the auto part as I have a manual but I switched from Bama to MPT and the difference was night and day for me. I did do some datalogs to get it to be as safely aggressive as possible though and I couldn't be happier. Also great customer service compared to Bama who has some of the worst imo. A.M. is great but Bama def. lacks in the CS department.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

So if you want to revise your tune from mpt with a data log do you have to pay for a new tune?
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangs View Post
So if you want to revise your tune from mpt with a data log do you have to pay for a new tune?
No. You get free data logging and tune revisions for bolt-ons for six months after purchase date. Everything is free during that time except big power adders like turbo & supercharger kits.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

That 5 or 6 days is how long the "adaptive shifting" program takes to "learn". Tunes can't disable it either. Pulling fuse 47 for 10 min will reset it. You don't need to reload your tune to get the muscle back.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:23 AM   #25
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
That 5 or 6 days is how long the "adaptive shifting" program takes to "learn". Tunes can't disable it either. Pulling fuse 47 for 10 min will reset it. You don't need to reload your tune to get the muscle back.
Or, if you get tired (read lazy) in pulling fuse 47 every week, you can install a relay (there's a mod on how to do this; search here or google it) to "open" the fuse 47 circuit everytime the car is turned off, effectively acting as if you pulled the fuse each time you re-start/shut off the car.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Young View Post

Same thing for me, I have full bolt ons and a MPT tune for a year, then tried out a $200 Lund tune because everyone said it was the best for automatic cars. I even had Jon Lund II tune it as aggressive as he would on 93 octane through revisions. Currently I run my MPT tune, it feels that much better, especially at partial throttle. I would say that the Lund tune feels like a better more aggressive Bama tune with great top end pull. The MPT tune trumps Bama and Lund both.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
Thanks but yea I already know about fuse 47. I actually started a thread on this forum about it. But the fuse pull only seems to work for me sometimes, not always. I guess ill just have to live with re-tuning the car every week or so.

The only annoying thing about it is that if I'm on like day 5 after tuning and the car is just starting to lose its power, and somebody tries to race me I may end up embarrassing my self.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Okay *UPDATE*

I just got my MPT tune(91 performance-engine, race-transmission. ) installed and loaded onto my car and...WOW!!!

My car feels totally different from when I was using BAMA tunes. I have on demand power at all levels of the power band and especially the lower part where I was lacking the most.

I have only driven it about 25 miles so far but holy smokes am I impressed!

It didn't seem to hurt my city MPG any either.

The only thing I'm going to have to get used to is the effect it gives you when you take your foot off of the pedal to coast. It does this thing to where it almost feels as if it is downshifting every time you coast. It isn't something to complain about it is just something I will have to get used to because it causes me to keep my foot on the pedal more.

Overall I'm very impressed 25 miles in and I urge everyone who wants the most our of their car to spend the $75 on a MPT tune.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ash0426 View Post
I used to have a Bama 91 Hybrid tune and from Bama to MPT it was a HUGE difference at least for me it was
In my past 2013 V6; I tried a variety of Bama 93 tunes, and switched to MPT 93 street trans tune and it made a world of difference. I probably should have got the race trans selection, but like many didn't pick it. It still made the auto car chirp 2nd gear and more
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:14 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I was thinking about getting the ghost cam tune by them any pros and cons
Old 07-10-2014, 05:58 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Yeah its weird it goes on and off but I don't know if you guys tried this everytime my car gets sloppy I always put the car back in Stock and put the tune back on and it's night and day. I know about the fuse 47 and I tried those but I don't see any difference. I just have my shorty headers for about a month now and I can truly see the difference from my Mpt tune and the new headers I dont have to reset the tune anymore.
Does it stay aggressive the whole time? If it does I'm sold.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #32
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopstang201 View Post
I was thinking about getting the ghost cam tune by them any pros and cons
I don't understand the "coolness" of the ghost cam. It dumps extra fuel at idle to give you the feeling and sound of a lopy idle. No performance at all, and those that know these late model vehicles know they have variable cam timing, and are not supposed to have that type of cam setup like the vehicles of yesteryear.

If it were me, I'd save the few dollars for that ghost cam and use it for something that is effective in the way of an actual performance gain.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Tuning companies

Performance is worth paying for, MPT is great, especially at the price point. Enjoy the power! I just bought a 2014 DIB 3.7 and am waiting for a 1,000 mile oil change before I tune using a company in Tennessee motorvationefi as my cousins husband owns a racing team & builds racing wiring harnesses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Injury & DIB 011.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	161125  
Old 07-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezona View Post
Okay *UPDATE*

I just got my MPT tune(91 performance-engine, race-transmission. ) installed and loaded onto my car and...WOW!!!

My car feels totally different from when I was using BAMA tunes. I have on demand power at all levels of the power band and especially the lower part where I was lacking the most.

I have only driven it about 25 miles so far but holy smokes am I impressed!

It didn't seem to hurt my city MPG any either.

The only thing I'm going to have to get used to is the effect it gives you when you take your foot off of the pedal to coast. It does this thing to where it almost feels as if it is downshifting every time you coast. It isn't something to complain about it is just something I will have to get used to because it causes me to keep my foot on the pedal more.

Overall I'm very impressed 25 miles in and I urge everyone who wants the most our of their car to spend the $75 on a MPT tune.

Awesome! Glad you are enjoying it. Yes, the engine breaking when you take your foot off the gas is something to get used to but I love it. Has a similar feel to a manual car, and the downshifting allows you to always be ready for takeoff. If it is something that bothers you though I'm sure MPT can make some adjustments to your tune to minimize it.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2673ad View Post
Hello

A few questions about the V-6 engine cover for the right side of the engine.

Who has one?

What does the lettering on the cover mean?

Can you post a picture of yours?

New Ford Mustang "Mayhem Package" V6 Engine Cover | eBay
Hi, the mods might want to move this to its own thread, but I had one on my 2013 3.7 and made the motor look correct to me, I didn't' like the non-symmetrical look from the factory.
The letters mean Twin Independent Variable Cam Timing, what both the 3.7 Cyclone and Coyote 5.0 engines have; the 5.0 covers says TiVCT as well.

I got mine from late model restoration
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang