Why do people put X-Pipes on their cars?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Why do people put X-Pipes on their cars??

What are the benefits on our cars, the V6's?

Is it more just for a different sound? I doubt it produces much of an increase in power to the rear wheels. Any true dyno results? Or is it more just for sound?

Click on the link below:
Mustang V6 2011-2014 X-Pipes, Mid-Pipes, & Down-Pipes part # 60517

GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post

Is it more just for a different sound? I doubt it produces much of an increase in power to the rear wheels. Any true dyno results? Or is it more just for sound?

Click on the link below:

Multiple reasons. 1) Sound is one of them. Catless tends to be very raspy with our engine though. 2) SLIGHT power increase. There's a debate that O/R catless pipes produce significantly more power, but that's BS. A high-flow catted system can do the same job. 3) This goes along with the power, a slightly bigger pipe diameter and in the case of aftermarket catted pipes (like the BBK I have), high flow cats which are much less restrictive. When combined with headers AND a catback you can see some cumulative gains on top of the individual pieces, albeit small ones.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: California
Mostly because they come that way
MyLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the reply Joey.

The X-pipe in the link appears to be for a stock V6 exhaust system. I would guess it to have minimal HP gains.

Is there much difference in sound with an X-pipe vs normal stock pipes?

Old 07-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLilPony View Post

Mostly because they come that way

I'm not sure what you mean... ??

Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Joey.

The X-pipe in the link appears to be for a stock V6 exhaust system. I would guess it to have minimal HP gains.

Is there much difference in sound with an X-pipe vs normal stock pipes?

The stock pipe is technically an "H/X Hybrid" meaning it has qualities of both an H and X pipe. Once you commit to a solely X style pipe, you do gain volume and to a certain degree, some rasp. Much more rasp comes from catless X-pipes because is a straight pipe design, whereas catalytic converters dampen the sound volume and a bit of the rasp.

H pipes on the 3.7 are less raspy and less loud. The designs are less about sound and more about airflow. AM actually has a good article if you want to dive into specifics: Mustang H-Pipes vs X-Pipes: What Are They & Which is Better?
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Personally, I dont care for the X pipes. Too much rasp for me.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

IT'S " X-PIPE" !!!!!
!
not " x-pipes" stop putting a "S" on the back and making it plural.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
+1 lol
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
IT'S " X-PIPE" !!!!!
!
not " x-pipes" stop putting a "S" on the back and making it plural.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

😂
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It changes the tone and smoothes at the sound and you do get a bit of torque bump.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

Click on the link below:

Are you talking about off road x pipe or catted X pipe? I have an off road x pipe on my 3.7 and installed it for two reasons. 1. I also installed BBK long tune headers and X pipe fits onto them. 2nd, the off road X pipe provides additional HP and Torque over your factory mid pipe with cats.
For people who install BBK long tube headers, BBK doesn't make an H mid pipe to fit them. In order to use the long tube headers by BBK you need the X pipe to go with it. I would imagine some muffler shop could rig up a H pipe that will connect to the BBK long tubes but I wasn't interested in getting that. I like the sound of my x pipe.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Are you talking about off road x pipe or catted X pipe? I have an off road x pipe on my 3.7 and installed it for two reasons. 1. I also installed BBK long tune headers and X pipe fits onto them. 2nd, the off road X pipe provides additional HP and Torque over your factory mid pipe with cats.
For people who install BBK long tube headers, BBK doesn't make an H mid pipe to fit them. In order to use the long tube headers by BBK you need the X pipe to go with it. I would imagine some muffler shop could rig up a H pipe that will connect to the BBK long tubes but I wasn't interested in getting that. I like the sound of my x pipe.

Neither, the Borla Version of the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe that uses the Stock Cats and Resonators. Even had the link to it.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Neither, the Borla Version of the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe that uses the Stock Cats and Resonators. Even had the link to it.
I am not familiar with this one you speak of. I'm not sure what's the point of this if one is gonna hook it up to the factory manifolds. Just keep the factory mid pipe.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am not familiar with this one you speak of. I'm not sure what's the point of this if one is gonna hook it up to the factory manifolds. Just keep the factory mid pipe.

It does get rid of the hybrid h/x while it changes the tone and gives you a bump in the power. All this while leaving your emissions intact and not creating rasp from a High flow that you will have to fight or live with.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
It does get rid of the hybrid h/x while it changes the tone and gives you a bump in the power. All this while leaving your emissions intact and not creating rasp from a High flow that you will have to fight or live with.
Hey siber how's it going? I am planning to get one myself. Is the x pipe too loud or you prefer having h pipe. Do you think i should go to a exhaust shop to have it done for cutting or I can do this my self and by the way I have the Mac shorty do you think it will fit with no problem cos most are BBks that I saw online. Thanks
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

+1, Kona is correct by saying keep your stock mid pipe. X and even h with or without catts will produce more rasp than the factory x/h, especially the x. Its the nature of the beast.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1, Kona is correct by saying keep your stock mid pipe. X and even h with or without catts will produce more rasp than the factory x/h, especially the x. Its the nature of the beast.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
I can attest to this fact. I have the BBK catted X - pipe, while not as raspy as the O/R counterparts, it's definitely more-so than the stock mid-pipe. I'd like to try my old stock one with my new setup, but I have LTs sooo unless I cut it to size and weld it back together, nadda

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang