Why do people put X-Pipes on their cars?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Why do people put X-Pipes on their cars??

Why do people put X-Pipes on their cars??

What are the benefits on our cars, the V6's?

Is it more just for a different sound? I doubt it produces much of an increase in power to the rear wheels. Any true dyno results? Or is it more just for sound?


Click on the link below:
Mustang V6 2011-2014 X-Pipes, Mid-Pipes, & Down-Pipes part # 60517

.
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
Why do people put X-Pipes on their cars??

What are the benefits on our cars, the V6's?

Is it more just for a different sound? I doubt it produces much of an increase in power to the rear wheels. Any true dyno results? Or is it more just for sound?


Click on the link below:
Mustang V6 2011-2014 X-Pipes, Mid-Pipes, & Down-Pipes part # 60517

.
Multiple reasons. 1) Sound is one of them. Catless tends to be very raspy with our engine though. 2) SLIGHT power increase. There's a debate that O/R catless pipes produce significantly more power, but that's BS. A high-flow catted system can do the same job. 3) This goes along with the power, a slightly bigger pipe diameter and in the case of aftermarket catted pipes (like the BBK I have), high flow cats which are much less restrictive. When combined with headers AND a catback you can see some cumulative gains on top of the individual pieces, albeit small ones.
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #3
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: California
Region: California
Posts: 59
Mostly because they come that way
MyLilPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Thanks for the reply Joey.

The X-pipe in the link appears to be for a stock V6 exhaust system. I would guess it to have minimal HP gains.

Is there much difference in sound with an X-pipe vs normal stock pipes?

.
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLilPony View Post

Mostly because they come that way

I'm not sure what you mean... ??


.
GT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
Thanks for the reply Joey.

The X-pipe in the link appears to be for a stock V6 exhaust system. I would guess it to have minimal HP gains.

Is there much difference in sound with an X-pipe vs normal stock pipes?

.
The stock pipe is technically an "H/X Hybrid" meaning it has qualities of both an H and X pipe. Once you commit to a solely X style pipe, you do gain volume and to a certain degree, some rasp. Much more rasp comes from catless X-pipes because is a straight pipe design, whereas catalytic converters dampen the sound volume and a bit of the rasp.

H pipes on the 3.7 are less raspy and less loud. The designs are less about sound and more about airflow. AM actually has a good article if you want to dive into specifics: Mustang H-Pipes vs X-Pipes: What Are They & Which is Better?
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular
 
Socal Stangman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Temecula Ca.
Region: California
Posts: 1,872
Personally, I dont care for the X pipes. Too much rasp for me.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Rapinator126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 9,253
IT'S " X-PIPE" !!!!!
!
not " x-pipes" stop putting a "S" on the back and making it plural.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
shunc01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,948
+1 lol
__________________
2016 GT RACE RED MANUAL aka " RAGING BULL"
Mods:
Borla stypes cat back exhaust, tint kit all lights, 5.0 race red shift knob, MMD V SERIES SPOILER... and more to come...
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
08Mustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Georgia
Posts: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
IT'S " X-PIPE" !!!!!
!
not " x-pipes" stop putting a "S" on the back and making it plural.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

😂
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Siber Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clinton
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,100
It changes the tone and smoothes at the sound and you do get a bit of torque bump.
__________________
2013 V6 MCoA, Performance Package, Security Package, Comfort Package and Electronic Package.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 1 View Post
Why do people put X-Pipes on their cars??

What are the benefits on our cars, the V6's?

Is it more just for a different sound? I doubt it produces much of an increase in power to the rear wheels. Any true dyno results? Or is it more just for sound?


Click on the link below:
Mustang V6 2011-2014 X-Pipes, Mid-Pipes, & Down-Pipes part # 60517

.
Are you talking about off road x pipe or catted X pipe? I have an off road x pipe on my 3.7 and installed it for two reasons. 1. I also installed BBK long tune headers and X pipe fits onto them. 2nd, the off road X pipe provides additional HP and Torque over your factory mid pipe with cats.
For people who install BBK long tube headers, BBK doesn't make an H mid pipe to fit them. In order to use the long tube headers by BBK you need the X pipe to go with it. I would imagine some muffler shop could rig up a H pipe that will connect to the BBK long tubes but I wasn't interested in getting that. I like the sound of my x pipe.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:30 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Siber Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clinton
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Are you talking about off road x pipe or catted X pipe? I have an off road x pipe on my 3.7 and installed it for two reasons. 1. I also installed BBK long tune headers and X pipe fits onto them. 2nd, the off road X pipe provides additional HP and Torque over your factory mid pipe with cats.
For people who install BBK long tube headers, BBK doesn't make an H mid pipe to fit them. In order to use the long tube headers by BBK you need the X pipe to go with it. I would imagine some muffler shop could rig up a H pipe that will connect to the BBK long tubes but I wasn't interested in getting that. I like the sound of my x pipe.

Sent from my little Johnson.
Neither, the Borla Version of the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe that uses the Stock Cats and Resonators. Even had the link to it.
__________________
2013 V6 MCoA, Performance Package, Security Package, Comfort Package and Electronic Package.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
Neither, the Borla Version of the FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe that uses the Stock Cats and Resonators. Even had the link to it.
I am not familiar with this one you speak of. I'm not sure what's the point of this if one is gonna hook it up to the factory manifolds. Just keep the factory mid pipe.


Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Siber Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clinton
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I am not familiar with this one you speak of. I'm not sure what's the point of this if one is gonna hook it up to the factory manifolds. Just keep the factory mid pipe.


Sent from my little Johnson.
It does get rid of the hybrid h/x while it changes the tone and gives you a bump in the power. All this while leaving your emissions intact and not creating rasp from a High flow that you will have to fight or live with.
__________________
2013 V6 MCoA, Performance Package, Security Package, Comfort Package and Electronic Package.
Mods OEM Backup Camera, BBK Shorties, FRPP Cut and Clamp X-Pipe, Borla Touring A/B's, Airaid CAI, Axle Xchange 2 piece aluminum Driveshaft, Koni Sport Shocks and Struts, Vogtland V6 Leveling springs, Ford Racing 302s wheels wrapped with Continental 275/40 19's, JBL GTO 8628 6X8 in all 4 corners.
2013 F 150 FX2 With a 6.2 Boss
Siber Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
shunc01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siber Expres View Post
It does get rid of the hybrid h/x while it changes the tone and gives you a bump in the power. All this while leaving your emissions intact and not creating rasp from a High flow that you will have to fight or live with.
Hey siber how's it going? I am planning to get one myself. Is the x pipe too loud or you prefer having h pipe. Do you think i should go to a exhaust shop to have it done for cutting or I can do this my self and by the way I have the Mac shorty do you think it will fit with no problem cos most are BBks that I saw online. Thanks
__________________
2016 GT RACE RED MANUAL aka " RAGING BULL"
Mods:
Borla stypes cat back exhaust, tint kit all lights, 5.0 race red shift knob, MMD V SERIES SPOILER... and more to come...
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
FastFord13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Montreal
Region: Canada
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I am not familiar with this one you speak of. I'm not sure what's the point of this if one is gonna hook it up to the factory manifolds. Just keep the factory mid pipe.


Sent from my little Johnson.
+1, Kona is correct by saying keep your stock mid pipe. X and even h with or without catts will produce more rasp than the factory x/h, especially the x. Its the nature of the beast.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
JoeyM91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Shawnee
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFord13 View Post
+1, Kona is correct by saying keep your stock mid pipe. X and even h with or without catts will produce more rasp than the factory x/h, especially the x. Its the nature of the beast.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
I can attest to this fact. I have the BBK catted X - pipe, while not as raspy as the O/R counterparts, it's definitely more-so than the stock mid-pipe. I'd like to try my old stock one with my new setup, but I have LTs sooo unless I cut it to size and weld it back together, nadda
__________________
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are today's economy cars faster than yesterday's muscle cars? Why? Jacobo General Car Discussion 2 07-19-2011 07:36 AM
Why is it that police tend to hassle import drivers more so than people who drive domestic cars? twain General Car Discussion 5 08-25-2009 02:11 PM
Why are t-top cars extremely rare? Does anyone still make them? If not, why did they stop? ramzi General Mustang Discussion 4 08-22-2009 03:16 AM
Silly British people... funny read inside about their cars. Brent The Bar 10 09-05-2005 07:38 PM
Do other people name their cars? WhiteStang99 The Bar 38 09-30-2004 06:32 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



04:09 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.