Back Up Camera - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Back Up Camera

Im installing a back up camera with my new Alpine HU. What wire do I tap into for the reverse lead?
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

How much did uget it for? How was the screen installation?
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

I got the HU for 1100.00. With the Maestro and the dash kit its around 1300.00. Very easy install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
I got the HU for 1100.00. With the Maestro and the dash kit its around 1300.00. Very easy install.
Any reason you went with the Alpine over the Raxiom unit AM has? I know the Raxiom has built in support specifically for the back up camera and is ~$650.

Do you already have the premium package with the camera in the spoiler?

Here's a good article about someone trying to do it from scratch:

Adding OEM reverse camera after purchase - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

This might have what you need specifically, it's about SYNC Lockpick, but it mentions wiring up the camera if you scroll a bit down:

SYNC Lockpick Install - Add a backup camera to your SYNC system
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Thanks for the links Joey, I'll have to check them out.

I'm sure the Raxiom is a good unit but it's really only a GPS unit. You still have the crappy stock HU. I tried swapping out the speakers but it really didn't do much. Then I swapped it out, first with a Kenwood, the difference was amazing. The stock HU really does suck. I'm more of an audio guy so bass and treble adjustments aren't good enough for me...

The Alpine has an awesome audio section. Great EQ 'ing and the DAC's are way better than a stock unit. I also needed the pre outs for the sub and front channels...I'm going to be using a different amp for the front speakers. Having the 7" screen is also very nice.

For the price the Raxiom unit will be more than sufficient for most people, I just wanted and needed more.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Im installing a back up camera with my new Alpine HU. What wire do I tap into for the reverse lead?
The Maestro RR T-Harness provides and Violet/White wire that is reverse trigger for your new HU. Connect to the orange/white (I think) reverse input.

Do not try to power your camera off this output though. It cannot drive a camera.

Cheers,
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Haven't seen pics of Alpine with Maestro dash kit in the wild yet. Can you post some?
maestro.idatalink.com
12V Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

I have some pics but posting them here is a pain in the ***. Every time I try to post a pic its upside down. Ive tried every thing..
Old 07-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Did you get your answer as to what wire to tap the reverse lead to? Should be the reverse lamp/led of the tailllights. Might find it closer to the transmission though under the car. I can look up the harness location and color code in my factory wiring manual if you still need it.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Did you get your answer as to what wire to tap the reverse lead to? Should be the reverse lamp/led of the tailllights. Might find it closer to the transmission though under the car. I can look up the harness location and color code in my factory wiring manual if you still need it.

I believe I did get the answer I needed. 12V Guy said there is a wire in the Maestro harness I could tap. Thanks though.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #11
rob.james.arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I need the answer to this question. Getting ready to cut wires one at a time until the reverse light goes out to figure it out. There are 6 wires from the taillight harness. Just hoping you might be able to chime in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang