Traction lok rebuild - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Traction lok rebuild

I was planning to rebuild my traction lok with a rebuild kit from AM with my 3.73 gear install but the mechanic didn't want to mess with it and would only do it if i was the whole differential. So i just kept my rebuild kit and has been in my trunk ever since, but i've had some traction issues with swirling when i accelerate, which i believe could be the traction lok. Now i want to rebuild it but i dont know if i should buy the whole 31 spline limited slip differential and take it to the shop and pay $600 total for it all or do it myself with my rebuild kit. Would i have to mess with the pinion depth or anything an experienced mechanic should only mess with while swapping the carbon discs or s spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Agent Kree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Looking at the installation here: How to Install a Ford Racing Traction LOK Rebuild Kit w/ Carbon Discs - 8.8in on your 1986-2013 Mustang

I have no idea how much mechanical experience you have, but I would suggest leaving it to a pro with the proper tools. Also, find a different shop. That mechanic you talked to sounds pretty lazy and overpriced.

May even be cheaper to buy this differential that already has the carbon discs installed. (just have to swap your gears from the stock one over to this one and fill with fluid. ) http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-3...arbondisc.html
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Looking at the installation here: How to Install a Ford Racing Traction LOK Rebuild Kit w/ Carbon Discs - 8.8in on your 1986-2013 Mustang

I have no idea how much mechanical experience you have, but I would suggest leaving it to a pro with the proper tools. Also, find a different shop. That mechanic you talked to sounds pretty lazy and overpriced.

May even be cheaper to buy this differential that already has the carbon discs installed. (just have to swap your gears from the stock one over to this one and fill with fluid. ) http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-3...arbondisc.html

My uncle who is a decent mechanic is going to help me out with this. And if i go with the whole differential would switching the gears require measuring pinion depth when i switch it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kree View Post
My uncle who is a decent mechanic is going to help me out with this. And if i go with the whole differential would switching the gears require measuring pinion depth when i switch it?

I can't say for sure, but I would say it's very likely. The discs are already installed but installing the gears would be just like when you first had it done on the original differential. Only this time you have to swap the differential itself, but you get a stronger diff and don't have to worry about installing those clutch packs.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Is there a way to rebuild it without removing the pinion ring? I really dont want to pay another $400 installation cost since its the only place in my area who is willing to do it.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is there a way to rebuild it without removing the pinion ring? I really dont want to pay another $400 installation cost since its the only place in my area who is willing to do it.

Extremely doubtful. You have to remove the pinion to get the clutch packs out.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Dang there goes my aluminum driveshaft funds haha. Well will there be a noticeable difference if i do upgrade differential?

Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dang there goes my aluminum driveshaft funds haha. Well will there be a noticeable difference if i do upgrade differential?

Since the car already has a Limited Slip diff, you won't notice as much as a car coming from a differential without it, but it will be slightly firmer with the new discs but I wouldn't say you'll see any drastic change. It's more of a stronger overall package structurally.

I only suggest the diff swap because it may be easier/cheaper than having them do the clutch pack swap on your original diff, plus it adds a bit more strength should you want to increase the power later on with things like forced induction. Kind of a "while you're there" mod.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Some of the serious autocrossers change out those clutches after every one or two races. My diff doesn't have clutches (Torsen) so I dont have to do it, though.

Once the differential has been initially setup it can be removed and re-installed. All you have to do is keep track of the shims and replace them back on each side of the differential just like they were removed. The differential will be exactly where it was when removed. It's when you are changing the ring and pinion gear or the differential itself that the rear end needs to be "re-setup".

You guys shouldn't have any problem changing the clutches.
This would be a good time to check the axle bearings and replace the axle seals.... Your mechanic may have thought that was too difficult as well.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Some of the serious autocrossers change out those clutches after every one or two races. My diff doesn't have clutches (Torsen) so I dont have to do it, though.

Once the differential has been initially setup it can be removed and re-installed. All you have to do is keep track of the shims and replace them back on each side of the differential just like they were removed. The differential will be exactly where it was when removed. It's when you are changing the ring and pinion gear or the differential itself that the rear end needs to be "re-setup".

You guys shouldn't have any problem changing the clutches.

This would be a good time to check the axle bearings and replace the axle seals.... Your mechanic may have thought that was too difficult as well.

So swapping the discs and the s spring can be done without moving the pinion ring?

Old 07-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Would having 3.73 gears make a difference in difficulty?

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

Oh and thanks to everyone for the advice so far.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Not at all.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Just put it back together EXACTLY like it came apart and all of the tolerances and backlash and everything will be the same as it was before... Only now you'll be back to smoking BOTH of the tires!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Alright thanks everybody! Im gonna try it out next saturday. Hopefully everything goes well because its my daily driver haha.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #16

Region: Louisiana
I'm new here and have a quick question. I just finished installing the ford racing track lok differential and I'm hearing a slight whining sound when I let off the gas. All measurements are within the manufacturers measurements and the friction modifier has been put in. Any ideas?

KonaBlue12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #17
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaBlue12 View Post
I'm new here and have a quick question. I just finished installing the ford racing track lok differential and I'm hearing a slight whining sound when I let off the gas. All measurements are within the manufacturers measurements and the friction modifier has been put in. Any ideas?

Did you check your backlash and preload during the install?

Sent from the Death Star.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:13 AM   #18

Region: Louisiana
Yes everything is correct and torqued properly

KonaBlue12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang