Gt throttle body on a v6 - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Practically speaking, yes. I read this whole thread once again to get a gist of what's going on. Voltwings has provided some sick info on page 5/6 I guess.

Now talking about power and smooth driveability as per OP's observation. Even if there are no peak gains, it could be under the curve. 'comparatively' flat torque/hp response imo.

I'm sort of interested in this mod as well, though I have airraid intake. I wonder if that it create any fitment issues vs a steeda tube?

I am not really a pro DIY guy, so this is going to be another change get the plate/adaptor made lol

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
I'm in the same boat. Really want to try this but I don't have a garage anymore to try it out.
I've also heard people saying that shaving the fins inside the IM just behind the TB also improve air flow and could smooth things out as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2014, 02:04 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Getting your intake manifolds ported has been proven to work

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
INSTAGRAM @2011fastford505
2011fastford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
i have a spare GT throttle body i am going to get machined and do some testing, i seem to keep overlooking exactly how much needs to be taken off though?
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The tb works great. A 90 mm is too big because the opening of the Im, after removing the fins to been allow the tb to open, is 80mm. The point of the 80mm tb is to remove and smooth out any choke points on the intake side. I was looking into porting my upper and lower Im as well but have not found enough user data that shows or supports gains, just word of mouth. This 80mm tb mod Is also word of mouth since I Have dyno ed it yet. I will be doing that in the next 2 weeks and will post the results. It feels great and alot smoother. It should work with all intake kits if they use a silicon hose to connect the filter unit to the tb. The hose may need to be stretched but it will work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

It's very easy to do and why would you machined the gt throttle body? You only need to redrill

Old 09-22-2014, 12:54 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang View Post
The tb works great. A 90 mm is too big because the opening of the Im, after removing the fins to been allow the tb to open, is 80mm. The point of the 80mm tb is to remove and smooth out any choke points on the intake side. I was looking into porting my upper and lower Im as well but have not found enough user data that shows or supports gains, just word of mouth. This 80mm tb mod Is also word of mouth since I Have dyno ed it yet. I will be doing that in the next 2 weeks and will post the results. It feels great and alot smoother. It should work with all intake kits if they use a silicon hose to connect the filter unit to the tb. The hose may need to be stretched but it will work.

theres like 3 guys including myself who have dynod after the ported manifolds with proven gains...

2011 Mustang V6 auto/procharger p1sc kit with 3.70 pulley/circle d 3200 stall/4:10 gears/dss aluminum driveshaft/tial q bov/bbk long tubes with catted x pipe/dynomax ultra flo catback/bbk throttle body/accel super coils/cyclone ported upper and lower intake manifolds/brembo front brake kit
Old 09-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Can u post them and we're t hey just the port ims that were added? Also what other mods and tune are you running in compunction and how is it

Old 09-22-2014, 01:11 AM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Gt throttle body on a v6

I couldn't really find what exactly you need to do, just that you need to re drill where r bolts up.. What else would I need?

Sorry if it's been said already

3.7 mustang
Katy Texas
Eric e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:33 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

hydro carbon cyclone upper intake. pics inside - Page 4 - V6 Talk - FastFordMuscle.com= cyclone performance

post 74

also greg z28ths who was the fastest N/A 3.7 had dyno charts but i cant find his thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:20 AM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

So are those results just with the porting or porting and a tune?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

you have to get retuned for the porting or there is a chance you will run lean.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Shouldn't run lean since any air coming into the engine has to pass over the MAF anyways, but i imagine the cam timing could be optimized for the difference in flow.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

The reason I am curious regarding the tune is because was it tuned before your ported run with a tune? Your numbers are similar to a stock v6 manual without a tune

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 AM ----------

Just making sure the 10+ gains were only from the porting and not the tune.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

The car was already tuned and then retuned for the new manifolds..
and don't get me started on the number thing because we already went over it in your thread about achieving 300rwhp N/A

Old 09-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

I know just making sure the manifold gains were actually around 10 and it wasn't due to the tune.

---------- Post added at 08:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Did you send them in to be ported or did you port them yourself?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:51 AM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011fastford View Post
theres like 3 guys including myself who have dynod after the ported manifolds with proven gains...
Wish I would have done a before and after dyno of my custom ported manifolds with the casting supports removed from the centers. I think there are two of us running them and the other guy who bought his from Intense didn't dyno his either. Any how the custom aluminum plates and por patch 15 has held up beautifully for this application. You can't even tell I did anything to the manifolds with them hydrodipped unless you know there was suppose to be casting supports in those 4 places.
SouthernCyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Well it sounds like it would be worth it. What is the best place to get them ported at or is it an easy diy?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

If you have the tools needed and are handy with tools you can DIY. If not I would get Lone Wolf Performance over on FFM forums to do it. There is also a lot of info stickied over there on ported manifolds. I read up as much as I could and talked with the two guys who were porting them at the time (now Lone Wolf is the only one) before attempting mine.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:08 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Is there any place to order them and pay a core charge then mail the stock ones in so there will be 0 downtime?

Old 09-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Love the hydrodip. Where'd it get done?
Old 09-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is there any place to order them and pay a core charge then mail the stock ones in so there will be 0 downtime?

Yeah Lone Wolf Performance on FFM forums. He's a vendor over there Lone Wolf Performance - FastFordMuscle.com
You can buy used manifolds or new manifolds and have them shipped directly to him, then sell yours to offset the cost.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Love the hydrodip. Where'd it get done?
Local place, cut me a deal on all of it since I frequent car shows. I offered to hand out business cards in exchange for the discount.

I added a picture of under the hood of the hydro dipped stuff to my garage. It's hard to see in the pictures but it looks like rips with zombie faces coming through the rips and bio hazard symbols randomly placed everywhere else.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:26 AM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCyclone View Post
Local place, cut me a deal on all of it since I frequent car shows. I offered to hand out business cards in exchange for the discount.

I added a picture of under the hood of the hydro dipped stuff to my garage. It's hard to see in the pictures but it looks like rips with zombie faces coming through the rips and bio hazard symbols randomly placed everywhere else.
Sounds pretty bada$$. Once I get all my performance mods done I want to do something like that to my interior.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know of any write ups on a diy Im porting

Old 09-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Anyone know of any write ups on a diy Im porting

I've been looking but nonluck...it sounds too technical. Lone Wolf apparently does MM measurements and such to get it just right but he may be splitting hairs with it and all it really needs is a smoother slightly larger bore?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
I've been looking but nonluck...it sounds too technical. Lone Wolf apparently does MM measurements and such to get it just right but he may be splitting hairs with it and all it really needs is a smoother slightly larger bore?
Splitting hairs? Sounds like they're doing it right. Personally, I'm of the precision mindset, not eyeballing it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Splitting hairs? Sounds like they're doing it right. Personally, I'm of the precision mindset, not eyeballing it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Oh i have no clue what's being done. If I did I would have done it myself by now but you never know. It may need just a smoothing out to get the same effect but until someone chooses to DIY we will never know. Either way this is a $20k+ machine not some pre owned Honda from the early 90 ' s. I won't do ANY major work myself, I leave it to the pros. Once I get my hands on a second set of IMs I'm sending them straight to Lone Wolf.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

A telescoping gauge set can be had cheap enough to measure the cross section while porting. A dial caliper would be good enough to measure the telescoping gauges for the port job, a micrometer is not needed.
I used a die grinder with carbide bits (I have different shapes and sizes) and sanding rolls.
Like I said if you have the tools already and confidence to do the porting, go for it. If not I would get Lone Wolf to do the porting.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Subsribing. Any updates on this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
Subsribing. Any updates on this?

None as of yet, but the basic point is that with some simple redrilling of the bolt holes on a GT TB you can attach it to the 3.7. Also from what I'm guessing you will need to remove the fins that sit inside just behind the TB? (does this help with smoothing the flow with the GT TB? Will it improve anything with a stock 3.7 TB?)

The other more recent topic is getting your upper and lower intake manifolds ported for better flow. Some guys have seen anywhere from 8-12 hp increase troughout the power band just from this alone.

Its a great thread and I look forward to updates. I'm so impatient i want to be able to just take my manifolds off and start grinding away at them myself but my lack of tools and experience keep me waiting till i can have it sent in or if I happen to come across a generous member willing to donate parts or labor I'd gladly buy food and beer!
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:37 AM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Who is currently offering porting services and does anyone know the cost? I've looked at GT throttle bodies on ebay and they aren't too bad. I may give it a shot but am still undecided.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Just looked at Super Six and a ported intake can cost up to $750 total, depending on if you supply a core. That's definitely out of my price range lol.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Lone Wolf does it for a lot less i heard. i could be wrong.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:27 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Lone Wolf does it for a lot less i heard. i could be wrong.
Yes Lone Wolf charges $350 to port/polish and send them back to you. The only additional cost is you have to pay to ship them to him which isn't much as the upper and lower are light. I think I paid $35 w/ tracking through USPS.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Yes Lone Wolf charges $350 to port/polish and send them back to you. The only additional cost is you have to pay to ship them to him which isn't much as the upper and lower are light. I think I paid $35 w/ tracking through USPS.
Did you notice much of a difference once you got the intake back?

Steve
'14 Deep Impact Blue V-6 Coupe
MCA Package
V-6 Performance Package
Premium Package
SRE TUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang