Gt throttle body on a v6 - Page 5 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #141
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Yes, besides tune and gears porting the intakes was the next best performance mod. Definite increases in the mid to upper rpm range. Unlike the 5.0s who have the Boss and Ford Racing Manifolds to choose from porting is the closest thing available for the V6.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #142
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Yes, besides tune and gears porting the intakes was the next best performance mod. Definite increases in the mid to upper rpm range. Unlike the 5.0s who have the Boss and Ford Racing Manifolds to choose from porting is the closest thing available for the V6.
I'm assuming you have a custom tune?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #143
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
I'm assuming you have a custom tune?

Yeah, MPT. Did some data logging with them to get everything dailed in.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2014, 01:18 PM   #144
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Yeah, MPT. Did some data logging with them to get everything dailed in.
Gotcha.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #145
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I re-read instructions to put GT throttle body on our V6. However, for a DYI noob like me, it be really helpful if someone could post pictures of their install? - more so the fins that need to be taken out, and things that need to be shaved off. What tools did you use for this etc. Much appreciated
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:23 AM   #146
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
I re-read instructions to put GT throttle body on our V6. However, for a DYI noob like me, it be really helpful if someone could post pictures of their install? - more so the fins that need to be taken out, and things that need to be shaved off. What tools did you use for this etc. Much appreciated
+1! Oh and Bazinga the fins are literally right there once you remove the TB. 4 bolts and then POP! it's off. Although this would be a perfect opportunity for someone to make some money. Get a couple GT TB, drill out the holes to get them to fit and charge for labor. You can do a core charge if anyone has a TB already they can send it or just order straight out.
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #147
Registered Member
Regular

Some person was selling adapter plates so you didn't have to modify the new throttle body, I don't remember where it was.

But for those fins, a simple dremel tool or even a manual file should work fine. I'd probably put some tape or something so the shavings don't fall into the intake manifold though, especially if you're leaving it on the car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #148
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The guy with the adapter plate was selling it and a throttle body for 400. Not worth it. Plus the adapter plate pushes the intake causing a tight fit. Just get a gt throttle body on ebay for 50-100$ make a template from the stock throttle body and mark the hokes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
14mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #149
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Some person was selling adapter plates so you didn't have to modify the new throttle body, I don't remember where it was.

But for those fins, a simple dremel tool or even a manual file should work fine. I'd probably put some tape or something so the shavings don't fall into the intake manifold though, especially if you're leaving it on the car.

Oh for sure. I used a rag. shoved it down my manifold with a tie so i could pull it out incase i got it too deep. just used a sawzall blade. I really want a sawzall. got so much use for one right now lol
Old 10-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #150
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintile View Post
Oh for sure. I used a rag. shoved it down my manifold with a tie so i could pull it out incase i got it too deep. just used a sawzall blade. I really want a sawzall. got so much use for one right now lol
If I end up doing this I have my handy dremel. I think I will wait until I get the manifold ported, that way I can do it off the car and vacuum up all the shavings.

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
Old 10-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #151
Registered Member
Regular

Oh god, the shaving were everywhere. I didnt even smooth it out or anything, just cut them down as low as i could and left it. I also had a plastic bag undernieth so they wouldnt drop into and nooks on the engine and melt or worse get caught in the belts. best to remove it when doing things like that.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #152

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mustang View Post
Looking at a wrecked 5.0 and noticed the throttle body is about 80 mm. Does this plug directly into the same connector as the v6 throttle body and would it work like the bbk 73mm? 7 mm is not much of a difference and it would make for an inexpensive mod that would give good results.

I think the 70mm BBK offered by American Muscle would be a better fit for you V6. It appears that BBK has it specifically designed for the V6.
Ray Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #153
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Spencer View Post
I think the 70mm BBK offered by American Muscle would be a better fit for you V6. It appears that BBK has it specifically designed for the V6.
Ya, we know. Thing is we can't justify paying over $350 for something like that. it's not worth it. At least with this GT TB mock up a couple guys are saying the improvement is there and for the cost of a GT take off it's much more worth it to experiment.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:06 AM   #154
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Looking at a wrecked 5.0 and noticed the throttle body is about 80 mm. Does this plug directly into the same connector as the v6 throttle body and would it work like the bbk 73mm? 7 mm is not much of a difference and it would make for an inexpensive mod that would give good results.
Back in the old days, there was a rule of thumb that said if you wanted to increase power you had to address the Three Cs: Compression, Camming, and Carburetion. This still holds true today with modern engines except that you have to see it in modern terms. I remember people installing larger carburetors (what you are essentially wanting to do) and simply flooding the motor since they didn't change the cam or pistons. The engineers at Ford have gone to painstaking measures to come up with the combination that you have in a 3.7, or any motor for that matter. I'm afraid that simply changing to a larger TB is only going to result in frustration and wasted money on your part, especially considering the fit mods you will have to do.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #155
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Spencer View Post
Yes, it is designed to specifically fit the 3.7L but going from stock to the 70mm BBK TB isn't enough of a performance gain to warrant its hefty price. Whereas the stock GT TB can be bought for much cheaper, and with minimal machining experience, can be modified to fit the 3.7L. Plus, being an 80mm TB, the GT's could be more of a performance gain over the BBK TB.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:57 PM   #156
Registered Member
Regular

The 80mm throttle body matches the bigger intake tubes and maf. Pipe and air filter. The opening of the upper intake manifold, with fins removed and sanded matches the 80mm throttle body eliminating a choke point in the intake flow. Having a tune is a must with a big intake and the 80mm throttle body. It definitely is peppy and feels alot more aggressive. I am still running a 93 race tune and have a dyno run and possible tune scheduled the end of the month. If it needs to be adjusted I will have it retuned to optimize the larger tb. If it looks smooth and good then I will stay with the tune I have. The stock tb is 67mm, then bbk is 73mm, 5.0 tb is 80mm. Most 5.0 guys get an 85 mm or even 90 mm tb so the availability of an 80mm tb is easy and way cheaper. The dyno will tell if it's a good mod. If the 73mm tb has gains then the 80mm should have equal if not better gains.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #157
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
+1! Oh and Bazinga the fins are literally right there once you remove the TB. 4 bolts and then POP! it's off. Although this would be a perfect opportunity for someone to make some money. Get a couple GT TB, drill out the holes to get them to fit and charge for labor. You can do a core charge if anyone has a TB already they can send it or just order straight out.
Ah man, I would literally have a huge sale of GT throttle bodies ready to bolt on our 3.7s if we had enough mustangs in my city. It's mostly beamers, audis', mercedes, souped up ricer cars with angled wheels, and domestics. Very few American Muscle enthusiasts here.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #158
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The 80mm throttle body matches the bigger intake tubes and maf. Pipe and air filter. The opening of the upper intake manifold, with fins removed and sanded matches the 80mm throttle body eliminating a choke point in the intake flow. Having a tune is a must with a big intake and the 80mm throttle body. It definitely is peppy and feels alot more aggressive. I am still running a 93 race tune and have a dyno run and possible tune scheduled the end of the month. If it needs to be adjusted I will have it retuned to optimize the larger tb. If it looks smooth and good then I will stay with the tune I have. The stock tb is 67mm, then bbk is 73mm, 5.0 tb is 80mm. Most 5.0 guys get an 85 mm or even 90 mm tb so the availability of an 80mm tb is easy and way cheaper. The dyno will tell if it's a good mod. If the 73mm tb has gains then the 80mm should have equal if not better gains.

Hey sorry if this is already covered in your write up, but do you have a bigger aftermarket intake tube and MAF? - like bigger than what you get with an air raid.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #159
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Gt throttle body on a v6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponie1992 View Post
Who is currently offering porting services and does anyone know the cost? I've looked at GT throttle bodies on ebay and they aren't too bad. I may give it a shot but am still undecided.

Lloyd elliot...

Jk

Go modular powerhouse I think that's their name

Edit**

Modular head shop
Judge_dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #160
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ah man, I would literally have a huge sale of GT throttle bodies ready to bolt on our 3.7s if we had enough mustangs in my city. It's mostly beamers, audis', mercedes, souped up ricer cars with angled wheels, and domestics. Very few American Muscle enthusiasts here.
Get them on ebay or send out wanted ads on forums requesting take offs.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #161
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Get them on ebay or send out wanted ads on forums requesting take offs.
This. There are TONS of them on ebay.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #162
Registered Member
Regular

Ye I just found one for 50 bucks shipped from a 2013 GT. And now the hard part begins: cutting and fabing lol.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-17-2014, 11:42 PM   #163
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Ye I just found one for 50 bucks shipped from a 2013 GT. And now the hard part begins: cutting and fabing lol.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
What did you search? Were there others?

JR4288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #164
Registered Member
Regular

I know a person who's selling one. I will send you his info via PM

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #165
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I know a person who's selling one. I will send you his info via PM

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
+1
Old 10-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #166
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:

Lowbwan here. I simply grabbed the fins with a pair of long nosed pliers and broke them off one at a time. I only removed the top set as these are the only fins that restrict the 80mm butterfly. When I first did this, I just wanted to know if it could be done. This weekend I intend to take the upper intake off and clean up the upper and lower fins. I'll use a 1/4" 4 flute end mill in my die grinder but I will turn the speed down. This cuts really well without loosing control when dealing with the glass reinforced plastic these manifolds are made of.
lowbwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:45 PM   #167
Registered Member
Regular

Random question: how hard is it to remove IM, and coil covers underneath? Mine are filthy as faawk cuz of all the rain and dirt.

Also, what paint would you suggest for coil covers? I know it's supposed to be high temp, any particular brand with good reviews/ease of use?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #168
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Random question: how hard is it to remove IM, and coil covers underneath? Mine are filthy as faawk cuz of all the rain and dirt.

Also, what paint would you suggest for coil covers? I know it's supposed to be high temp, any particular brand with good reviews/ease of use?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Duplicolor has a decent high temp engine enamel paint as well as just regular high temp paints. I hear its pretty easy to remove the IM, not sure about coil covers. id like to know too
Old 10-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #169
Registered Member
Regular

I believe theres a guy here with procharger who has his covers painted, I forgot his username though. Maybe he can chime in to give some insight.

Ps: Fintile, what did you use to drill hole on TB? Did you use something to allign them correctly over IM holes?

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #170
Registered Member
Regular

I still have not done this. Im going to get my minifolds ported first, then if im able to find someone willing to fab up the GT TB for me i'll just buy it off them. that or try to find a BBK for less than $150.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #171
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I still have not done this. Im going to get my minifolds ported first, then if im able to find someone willing to fab up the GT TB for me i'll just buy it off them. that or try to find a BBK for less than $150.
You're definitely not finding a BBK under 150 unless someone is desperate.

The GT TB fabrication isn't that difficult from what I understand. Granted, I haven't done it personally. For less than the cost of the BBK, you could buy the GT TB and take it to a machine shop and have them do it if you're uncomfortable.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:39 PM   #172
Registered Member
Regular

What he said ^

Old 10-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #173
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're definitely not finding a BBK under 150 unless someone is desperate.

The GT TB fabrication isn't that difficult from what I understand. Granted, I haven't done it personally. For less than the cost of the BBK, you could buy the GT TB and take it to a machine shop and have them do it if you're uncomfortable.

Oh that's what I ment lol. Since finding a used BBK is out of the question I'm going to see if I can find someone or a shop to do the work. I just have a cheep cordless drill from Wallmart. I couldn't do the fabbing if I wanted to.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #174
Registered Member
Regular

You don't need an expensive drill. I used a cordless and just used a vice, clamps and some blocks to line it all up

Old 10-22-2014, 09:54 AM   #175
Registered Member
Regular

Man, I just priced out what I'd need to do this and I mine as well buy a BBK for $250.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang