Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Gt throttle body on a v6

69K views 346 replies 41 participants last post by  Fintile 
#1 ·
Looking at a wrecked 5.0 and noticed the throttle body is about 80 mm. Does this plug directly into the same connector as the v6 throttle body and would it work like the bbk 73mm? 7 mm is not much of a difference and it would make for an inexpensive mod that would give good results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#2 · (Edited)
7 mm is pretty big in terms of throttle bodies don't think you would really see that much of a benefit from it especially when your intake is limited to a certain airflow anyway. I'm gonna take a guess here and say an 80mm tb won't even work properly/ fit on your v6.

#3 ·
Yeah but the housings are nearly the same size. The location of the connector is different but it would match up. I am curious what would be the result of an 80mm. Would the engine be smooth, jumpy, bog down, etc. I really just see it hard to justify 400 bucks on a 73mm when a gt has an 80 and they are easily available for cheap. The intake manifold opening behind the throttle body is 80mm wouldn't matching it be better

#8 ·
It's a 5.0 tb swap discussion not a 73mm like bbk sells. 50$ is a cheap mod if the gains are little or if I can use it and then be ready for a pro charger

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

I am tuned by the way and would get it retuned

#14 ·
It's a 5.0 tb swap discussion not a 73mm like bbk sells.
You're the only one who mentioned bbk. Everyone else said that ANY larger tb is really a waste until you go FI. No one's even certain that it's a direct fit. I personally think you would need to modify it or use an adapter of some sort for it to fit, otherwise someone who's already FI would have tried it by now. If you do decide to pick one up, by all means let us know if it fits and how it runs. We're all curious.

#10 ·
I'm just saying any larger tb in general. Well if you're tuned and it bolts right up, I guess you've got really nothing to lose for a price of $50. I wouldn't know if it would fit or not.

Also, I don't know who tuned your pony, but it may be hard for email tuners to update your tune since the 5.0 tb isn't a common mod. It'd probably have to be re dyno tuned to dial in precision.

#11 ·
I got the steeda tune and I love it. It seems really good. I am not sure if they would be able to dial in the tune with a larger throttle body through data logging and emails or not. I would like to keep using them due to here rep and customer service. I ordered the throttle body. It was a from another car but it was actually never even used and it was off a brand new motor so we will see If it bolts up and causes anything to change or not.

#13 ·
Think about it- Think a lot

Unless your going to be racing a lot at upper RPM's the large throttle body will be awful on the street. It would be like putting too big of a carburetor on your engine as was done in the good old days. Great for top end but sure sucked around town.
You probably already know it is really not needed unless you have a way of increasing the amount of air going into the engine to compensate for the larger amount of gas. Probably larger injectors and a good(I mean """GOOD"") Dyno tune to get the mixture right.
Ronnie

#15 ·
I definitely will. It is being shipped to me this week. I checked every thing looks to be the same as in connector and bolts. But still it will be an experiment. I do know that the intake manifold is 80mm my theory is that an 80mm tb would actually flow better from intake to manifold without a choke point. I mentioned 73mm bbk early in regards to it being discussed l, but I really think someone had to have tried the stock 5.0 tb by now. Maybe it didn't work and that's why it hasn't been discussed. I know it's not just air in air out but if headers and x pipe are free flowing the intake being more free flowing would help, at least I would think.

#18 ·
First off to mount the TB you need an adapter plate.

Secondly the opening to your intake manifold can not be opened to 80mm so that is why it is a waste.

#19 ·
The intake manifold opening is 80mm. And the bolt patterns are identical size/shape. The internal bore is what's bigger. This saves money on the assembly line, to have similar parts for all engines and cars ford makes.

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

What would happen if it were opened to 80mm at the tb?

#20 ·
Not sure if it was this forum or Mustang Source but I've asked the same question and to my disappointment I was told up and down it will not work. Bolt it up will require an adapter plate and even once it's on the gains will be little to no notice due to the overall airflow in the 3.7. For you to notice any gain you'll need a full I/H/E bolt on system and FI. It's just not worth the trouble. Explains why this engine has been around almost 5 years and no one's posted testimonials as to this working or even fully tested yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#25 ·
#27 ·
Please check the link I sent you. The bolt holes don't even line up.

Measure it again as the ones I have seen measure under 75mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.