MMD Hood Strut Kit the good and bad - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
MMD Hood Strut Kit the good and bad

So I ordered the MMD strut kit from AM and did one day delivery so that I could install before my car show.. The good.. As always american muscle had awesome delivery arrived right on time.. The package looked high quality and installation was super easy.. Ok so the bad.. One of the lower brackets dosnt tighten all the way up.. They are impossible to stay straight.. I am assuming it's from the weight and pressure from the hood.. But I was really disappointed.. The brackets would become so unaligned that it looks as if though this hood strut kit is not gonna last if they do not stay straight and aligned.. I am almost contemplating welding the brackets so that they stay straight and the weight is distributed proportionally.. Anyone have these issues and what fixes do you do..

They really complement the engine bay.. Looks clean.. I just don't like how they don't stay aligned..
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I thought I was the only one!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
willmorg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I like tightened them hulk style and they will still twist when I pull down the hood I think ima just weld tomorrow.. Maybe a spot weld or something.. And is it me or is it harder to close the hood? I check to make sure the line dosnt get pinched and it dosnt so I am clueless lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't have those issues but the retaining clips on my kit bent during installation and are now virtually unable to be used to safely prop up the hood. Pretty disappointed with MMD on the quality.
blueprint87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have the Redline Struts and they are great. They have no bracket to come loose and you don't need to mess with the hinge bolts to install.
I bought the Stainless cylinder ones and they look great too.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
They were super easy to install when I put mine on but I did have the same issue. When I was tightening the bottom screw of the driver's side the bolt just wouldn't tighten down. After I manhandled the thing it finally cranked down flush but it took a lot of work. They do work fine, though so I'm not exactly sure what was going on to cause the problem.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I guess I was "LUCKY"

Mine have been on for about 6 months with no problems at all. The hood goes up easy and stays up. It goes down but you do need a little push to close it because you don't have the weight of the hood helping you.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
So I ordered the MMD strut kit from AM and did one day delivery so that I could install before my car show.. The good.. As always american muscle had awesome delivery arrived right on time.. The package looked high quality and installation was super easy.. Ok so the bad.. One of the lower brackets dosnt tighten all the way up.. They are impossible to stay straight.. I am assuming it's from the weight and pressure from the hood.. But I was really disappointed.. The brackets would become so unaligned that it looks as if though this hood strut kit is not gonna last if they do not stay straight and aligned.. I am almost contemplating welding the brackets so that they stay straight and the weight is distributed proportionally.. Anyone have these issues and what fixes do you do.. They really complement the engine bay.. Looks clean.. I just don't like how they don't stay aligned..
Hey-Sorry to hear about the trouble with the struts! I'm not entirely sure what's causing this but I'd like to get a replacement sent out for you immediately! Can you please shoot me a PM with your order info and I'll have everything set up.

Thanks in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint87 View Post
Didn't have those issues but the retaining clips on my kit bent during installation and are now virtually unable to be used to safely prop up the hood. Pretty disappointed with MMD on the quality.
If you'd like to shoot your order info over to me or give us a call we're more than happy to get your set replaced as well as I can't have you rolling around like this!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Hey-Sorry to hear about the trouble with the struts! I'm not entirely sure what's causing this but I'd like to get a replacement sent out for you immediately! Can you please shoot me a PM with your order info and I'll have everything set up.

Thanks in advance!

If you'd like to shoot your order info over to me or give us a call we're more than happy to get your set replaced as well as I can't have you rolling around like this!

Alex

This kind of service is hard to beat.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Alex

I really appreciate the amazing service but I am convinced that in my situation it's just either the design or the screws that just don't grip past a certain point.. I think regardless of putting another strut brace the results would be similar
Old 07-14-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Alex[/QUOTE]

Great customer service. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
blueprint87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
I have the Redline Struts and they are great. They have no bracket to come loose and you don't need to mess with the hinge bolts to install.
I bought the Stainless cylinder ones and they look great too.
But you did have to DRILL HOLES in your car.... Also, the struts are not as tucked in as other kits... the angle of the hood struts actually can get in the way if you are trying to work in your engine bay from the side... i know, i had a set once upon a time... when we did a motor swap, the shop yanked them out because they were always in the way.... They were nice enough to install a different kind that used the factory hinge bolts and the struts were well out of the way....

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
But you did have to DRILL HOLES in your car.... Also, the struts are not as tucked in as other kits... the angle of the hood struts actually can get in the way if you are trying to work in your engine bay from the side... i know, i had a set once upon a time... when we did a motor swap, the shop yanked them out because they were always in the way.... They were nice enough to install a different kind that used the factory hinge bolts and the struts were well out of the way....
There was no drilling for my 2012 and the Redlines are far cleaner looking to me. I have never found them to be in the way either. They have much better leverage on the hood and they put less strain on it.
I would pull the hood if I was doing an engine swap so that is a non-issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3071_001.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	161493  
Old 07-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
This is disappointing, i really wanted to throw these on my car as well. hmmm might look into a different brand i guess.

Destrominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I've had no issues with my MRT hood struts... fun part was letting my daughter basically do the install.. I recorded it for fun... here is the last stop....

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
There was no drilling for my 2012 and the Redlines are far cleaner looking to me. I have never found them to be in the way either. They have much better leverage on the hood and they put less strain on it.
I would pull the hood if I was doing an engine swap so that is a non-issue.
I see they've redesigned them... much better than the original with the pop rivets...

2014 Ingot Silver Vert - MCA Edition

MPT Tuned - MRT Axle Back - MRT Catted H-Pipe - FRPP 3.55
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Got a spot weld in the corner that shifts out on the bracket and looks a lot better and the brackets don't shift.. Now works flawlessly
Old 07-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1405394413.669197.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	587.3 KB
ID:	161513Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1405394441.090895.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	664.1 KB
ID:	161514

As you can see one bracket twists. I had it spot welded will post updated pic but I tightened that screw like no tomorrow after it finally got grip and still managed to twist.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Strange, mine didn't have any issues. Granted in my install I didn't remove both brackets at once. I removed one at a time and cranked the bolt down almost all of the way, then did the other then came back and tightened up both brackets before snapping on the prop rods.

I kept the stock prop rod on during the process just to bear some of the weight to prevent pre-mature twisting.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:30 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That's exactly what I did lol.. This install is a breeze.. That
Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #20
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
This kind of service is hard to beat.
Ted-We strive to have the best customer service no matter what. I'm always here to help out when and where I can and I hate to hear fellow Mustang owners having problems!

Quote:
I really appreciate the amazing service but I am convinced that in my situation it's just either the design or the screws that just don't grip past a certain point.. I think regardless of putting another strut brace the results would be similar
Jay-I understand. If need be we can get you set up for a full refund. Whatever works for you, works for me! I'm a PM or we're a phone call away to have anything rectified.

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint87 View Post

Alex
Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution[/QUOTE]

Again- I can't stress enough how I'm here to help out our customers no matter what-If there's ever an issue or something doesn't look right with an order, I want to hear about it!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ted-We strive to have the best customer service no matter what. I'm always here to help out when and where I can and I hate to hear fellow Mustang owners having problems!

Jay-I understand. If need be we can get you set up for a full refund. Whatever works for you, works for me! I'm a PM or we're a phone call away to have anything rectified.

Alex

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Again- I can't stress enough how I'm here to help out our customers no matter what-If there's ever an issue or something doesn't look right with an order, I want to hear about it![/QUOTE]

We will call it even with a free drive shaft I appreciate the refund but I can't get the struts off anymore lol.. I did a weld on them to keep them in place.. One thing that would be nice is the one day delivery option I did.. Was a waste of money because I didn't even leave them on for the car show I had because I didn't like how they looked crooked.. But I doubt I could be refunded the over night delivery.. Regardless I appreciate the options
Old 07-15-2014, 12:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Hood is soft Aluminum. Very expensive. Ford uses prop rods for a reason. It wasn't to save money. Handle with care!
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #23
Site Sponsor

Quote:
We will call it even with a free drive shaft I appreciate the refund but I can't get the struts off anymore lol.. I did a weld on them to keep them in place.. One thing that would be nice is the one day delivery option I did.. Was a waste of money because I didn't even leave them on for the car show I had because I didn't like how they looked crooked.. But I doubt I could be refunded the over night delivery.. Regardless I appreciate the options
Jay-I'm concerned it might raise a few eyebrows if someone in our warehouse were to witness me walking out the front door with a gift wrapped drive shaft but I'm happy to meet you in the middle somewhere! Shoot me a PM so I can track everything down on my end and get some cash back in your direction.

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 07-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black12 View Post
Hood is soft Aluminum. Very expensive. Ford uses prop rods for a reason. It wasn't to save money. Handle with care!
Ford has been using prop rods long before the aluminum hoods so that is not the reason, Money and weight is. Besides most Ford customers don't even open the hood so the prop rod is fine. The Mustang hoods are made of aluminum alloy and are not all that "soft" either.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't drill Into the hood the brackets that have me trouble are on the base of the car.. And I just applied a spot weld to it.. I love the look now minus the weld spot lol
Old 07-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
I didn't drill Into the hood the brackets that have me trouble are on the base of the car.. And I just applied a spot weld to it.. I love the look now minus the weld spot lol
Find a pipeline welder and they will show you the most beautiful welds you've ever seen.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Jay-I'm concerned it might raise a few eyebrows if someone in our warehouse were to witness me walking out the front door with a gift wrapped drive shaft but I'm happy to meet you in the middle somewhere! Shoot me a PM so I can track everything down on my end and get some cash back in your direction.

Alex

Just so everyone knows American Muscle took very good care of me! They never cease to amaze me.. They truly are dedicated to customer satisfaction! This is why I give them 100% of my business.. Hell even if I had to pay more for their products I would.. That's how much I appreciate their service. And top it off you will never pay more since they price match.. What more can you ask from a vendor.. Thank you American Muscle you have my business and support for life!
Old 07-16-2014, 03:56 PM   #28
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Just so everyone knows American Muscle took very good care of me! They never cease to amaze me.. They truly are dedicated to customer satisfaction! This is why I give them 100% of my business.. Hell even if I had to pay more for their products I would.. That's how much I appreciate their service. And top it off you will never pay more since they price match.. What more can you ask from a vendor.. Thank you American Muscle you have my business and support for life!
Hey! Thanks for the kind words I really appreciate it! I'm always here to help out no matter what so if anyone ever has a question or problem with an order I want to hear about it! Best of luck with the new tower brace and have a great show this weekend!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:06 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Glad to hear you got taken care of Jay! I feel the same way about AM, I make a few orders a month from them, just placed another one today haha. if you got the Strut Tower brace from what I can discern from above ^ you will love it! It's my favorite mod I've done on my car it's a huge difference
Old 07-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Alex

Aaaaaaand thats why i wont shop anywhere else for my car parts. AM's service is unmatched.
Hey alex, where do i send a resume haha
somedopebeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Glad to hear you got taken care of Jay! I feel the same way about AM, I make a few orders a month from them, just placed another one today haha. if you got the Strut Tower brace from what I can discern from above ^ you will love it! It's my favorite mod I've done on my car it's a huge difference
Thanks for the kind comments sir! I've said it many times and I can't stress enough how I'm here to help no matter what! If anyone ever has a question or a problem I want to be the first to hear about it!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #32
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedopebeats View Post
Aaaaaaand thats why i wont shop anywhere else for my car parts. AM's service is unmatched.
Hey alex, where do i send a resume haha
We pride ourselves on our customer service and we're always hiring! Let me know if there's anything I can help out with in the meantime!

Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang