Twin turbo possible turbos - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2014, 01:44 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Twin turbo possible turbos

Hey everyone recently bought a 2012 v6 and have been looking at what turbos I could run for a good 400-450whp. I was thinking about running the Nissan 300zx twin setup.If I got these should I just get the 550hp or the 700 version im wanting quick boost and great tq numbers
90-96 Nissan 300ZX Z32 Twin Turbo Upgrade - Nissan - OEM Replacement Turbochargers
Dubau2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Installing twins on the 3.7 would be an absolute nightmare.

Look at all the other turbo builds, they are a larger single setup and create a lot of power down low and carry it all the way through the rev range.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
On top of that, unless you are good at fabricating stuff, I wouldn't recommend buying that.

The real... boss 227
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I hope you know how to fab and weld.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Just get a single turbo kit or a procharger. I can not see that twin turbo set up you have in mind working unless you are an extremely experienced mechanic and have lots of hours (Like, a lot) and money to throw at it.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I can not see that twin turbo set up you have in mind working unless you are an extremely experienced mechanic and have lots of hours (Like, a lot) and money to throw at it.
If that were the case, I doubt the op would post up asking for suggestions on what turbos to use...

OP, do some research on turbos to learn what exactly you are getting into and figure out what size turbo(s) you need for your goals.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: California
Every time I see a thread like this I have the same question....why?? If you want to build a high HP car start with the proper platform. The V6 Mustang is not that platform.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

3.7 V6 is a great platform for Turbo Charging.

Just look what one Turbo can do.
The World's Fastest V6 Mustang Sticks Two Fingers Up At Six-Cylinder Pony Car Haters

10.7 in the quarter.
If you have two Turbo chargers you will do 5.25 in the quarter.
Sorry, I just could not help it. Ha! Ha!

The 3.7 V6 Cyclone engine would be very good for adding a turbo due to the very strong bottom end on this great engine. Of course you will need a stronger aluminum drive shaft and a healthy suspension to go along with the extra power.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Hey ronnie thanks for that. Haha yeah iean i dont think the twin setup would run any quicker but if i can do ityself for less then 5-6k then i would be happy with it. Anywho i dont really have to worry about fab work justvmoney. So what do you think would be a better choice 550hp setup or the 700 for the 3.7
Old 07-14-2014, 07:46 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubau2 View Post
Hey ronnie thanks for that. Haha yeah iean i dont think the twin setup would run any quicker but if i can do ityself for less then 5-6k then i would be happy with it. Anywho i dont really have to worry about fab work justvmoney. So what do you think would be a better choice 550hp setup or the 700 for the 3.7
You need to learn how to figure this out for yourself. What works for the Z32, won't work the same for your 3.7 Mustang...

I can't find the compressor maps for those turbos so here ya go..

Two of these - GT2860R at 9 - 10 lbs of boost should get you around 550hp at the crank and put you right in the efficiency range of the turbos. Meaning they will work very well.

Or just go single and get a GT40R and save about $500.

However, if you want twin turbos, a new pair will set you back around $2000. Add in an intercooler, piping and a few other odds and ends and you will be around $3000 in parts alone. Then the fuel system and custom tuning, add another $1000 - $1500 for that.

Assuming everything goes smooth .. which it wont.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Yea I don't see how it would be even worth it to try and fit twins with the 3.7

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. I mean i understand all of that. What about upping the compression on these bad boys and running a more agressive cam? Or i could go nitrous and be done with it
Old 07-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Every time I see a thread like this I have the same question....why?? If you want to build a high HP car start with the proper platform. The V6 Mustang is not that platform.
Any platform is the proper platform. Some just have more hurdles than others. If you want to complain that a boosted V6 car isn't worth the effort, go tell all those Buick Grand National owners they're doing it wrong.

Dubau2: Learn how to size a turbo. There are spreadsheets and websites dedicated to this. There are probably a bunch of 4 cylinder junk yard turbos you could grab and try this with as a project (if this is your only car, stop now).

Next, for a cheap solution to turbo setups: Flip the manifolds so they're facing forward, then find a way to mount the turbo to each manifold. Route the downpipes under the existing manifolds and to the factory cats. I think you'll have to relocate the factory coolant reservoir. Now, you just deal with inlet ducting. Combine both turbos into one inlet, route to a FMIC, then back to the throttle body.

This is just a quick crash course. You'll also need to figure out what to do with the maf, pcv setups, wastegates, blow off valves, boost controllers, tuning, oil routing to the turbos, and more. Read, read, read, then read some more, and buy a welder (preferably mig or tig) and learn to use it.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah that's true. I was thinking about getting some volvo 850 turbos when I found the twin t28s what's the outside diameter on those things?
Old 07-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Pay attention to the trim numbers. I'd look at googling for stock turbo sizes. Honestly, the easiest turbos to get that may work are probably the 2.0 Eclipse/Talon/Laser turbos.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I do need to do plenty of research on the differences of the oem turbos, dimensions what would fit the easiest while giving me the power I need. Of course in the mean time I could run nitrous.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
1. Dont buy anything OEM, they almost all have application specific flanges and it will be difficult to find hardware. Go with your more generic / universal T3/T4 type flanges.

2. Most OEM turbos have very small hotsides and will not breathe well at the type of RPM's your 3.7 will want to see. Most k04 style factory turbos dont flow over 5500-6000 rpms ... why waste money on a twin turbo kit and cheap out on the turbos. You should be looking at precision or Garrett units.

3. Most OEM turbos also have application spefici downpipes, which you'll also have a harder time sourcing. I would recommend some sort of V-band set up to make the whole process easier, so again... buy new.

4. Physics. It takes a LOT of understanding to build a kit that will flow properly. Just because you can weld pipe and make gases to from the engine, to the turbos, to the engine does not mean they are doing so in the most effecient way. Also, tuning a MAF in blow through configuration is VERY sensitive to airflow and MAF placement. Trust me, i built a custom kit on my last turbo 4 cylinder and literally did about 30 revisions of the MAF placement before i found a spot where i was happy with the resolution. If you're not tuning this kit yourself, this could lead to a significant amount of downtime waiting on a tuner, OR various tuners that may just flat out refuse to tune it. Thats their reputation on the line, they cant afford for anything to go wrong.

5. Spool time. Most OEM turbos are very small because people want to avoid any sort of "turbo lag." Buying small turbos is great for response, but if not tuned nor driven carefully could have a detrimental impact on your engines rods. My experience is in tuning mazdaspeed 3's, and while not safe on a stock motor, it was very easy to produce 400+ wtq sub 3500 rpms. Two of those turbos around the same size at moderate boost levels could put out quite some airflow at low rpms and really mess things up.

All in all i think this is a bad idea. There is no way you will come in under your $6k mark unless you buy cheap stuff, and why would you when you're talking about a twin turbo kit ... There will always be little odds and ends you dont think of, custom almost never works right the first time, so plan on having to rebuild several pieces. I'm also just partical to single turbos. I think they look cleaner, i think they perform just as well and are significantly more simple. A 1.06 AR 40r seems to flow right around 720 lb/min. That is MORE than enough airflow to support 500 on this engine effeciently.

Please prove me wrong, but just dont get overly ambitious and then end up sitting with a pile of wasted money in your garage pissed off and wanting to burn it to the ground. Been there, done that.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It is only a matter of time

Ford already has this,
2015 Ford Explorer | Terrain-conquering capability | Ford.com

It is only a matter of time until they produce a 3.7 Twin Turbo in the 2015 Mustang.
I'm guessing it will be a special edition but I'm sure it is gonna happen.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

As much as i would love to see it happen, i doubt it will, people already have their panties in a bunch about the Ecoboost 4. I for one would love to see it, the performance potential from a potent TT v6 is HUGE. GM was contemplating using their new TT v6 in the C7 vette, and people threw a hissy fit. While the LT1 is a VERY strong engine, the TT v6 got put into the new Cadillac CTs sport, and look up what those are doing with just a tune... i have a chevy buddy who told me the numbers, i havent seen them myself, but i believe it was 5xx for wtq and mid 4xx's for whp ... bone stock with a tune... that will rape any N/a V8 out there today, and arguably some of the boosted ones. But alas, the V8 will die hard. I'll be sad to see it go, but theres no denying performance like that.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
As much as i would love to see it happen, i doubt it will, people already have their panties in a bunch about the Ecoboost 4. I for one would love to see it, the performance potential from a potent TT v6 is HUGE. GM was contemplating using their new TT v6 in the C7 vette, and people threw a hissy fit. While the LT1 is a VERY strong engine, the TT v6 got put into the new Cadillac CTs sport, and look up what those are doing with just a tune... i have a chevy buddy who told me the numbers, i havent seen them myself, but i believe it was 5xx for wtq and mid 4xx's for whp ... bone stock with a tune... that will rape any N/a V8 out there today, and arguably some of the boosted ones. But alas, the V8 will die hard. I'll be sad to see it go, but theres no denying performance like that.
The LF3 is nasty with just a tune ... 500+ rwtq below 3500 rpm and 450+ rwhp peak. Imagine a better intake, intercooler and freeing up the exhaust ... Seriously impressive.

The 3.5 Ecoboost with a tune, intake, full exhaust and large intercooler makes less power ( around 500+ rwtq and 350 whp) than just a tuned LF3.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
The LF3 is nasty with just a tune ... 500+ rwtq below 3500 rpm and 450+ rwhp peak. Imagine a better intake, intercooler and freeing up the exhaust ... Seriously impressive.

The 3.5 Ecoboost with a tune, intake, full exhaust and large intercooler makes less power ( around 500+ rwtq and 350 whp) than just a tuned LF3.
Keep in mind, most 3.5 EB platforms are AWD, so theres quite a difference in Drivetrain loss. But yes, that engine is wicked.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I know it would be a lot of work to do this for sure. If the 3.5l and the 3.7l are the same couldn't I just use the ecoboost manifolds or at least fab something from them with a t3 flange?
Old 07-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

They're not even close to the same head castings, The EB is Direct injection, so its an entirely different cylinder head.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:39 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ok I gotcha.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
They're not even close to the same head castings, The EB is Direct injection, so its an entirely different cylinder head.
That is just the beginning of it.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Ask Popeye about ecoboost manifolds. I'm pretty sure he mated some to our block in a thread on another forum. He's been posting in the 3.7 turbo thread.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang