Suspension kit or Gears? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Suspension kit or Gears?

I'm in between swapping out my 2.73's for 3.73's or purchasing a handling starter pack(sve lowering springs, lower control arms, panhard bar, camber adjustment bolts.) SVE Mustang Performance Suspension Kit (11-14) - LatemodelRestoration.com

My current mods are a JLT Cold air intake, MPT/BAMA race tune, roush Axlebacks.

What do you guys think? Should I finish off my performance with the gears first, or add on a few suspension parts? Which will give me the biggest gains in your guys's opinion?

The price difference is about $450 between gears installed and the suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Prezona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Personally, Id go with suspension. It will look a lot better and handle a lot better.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal Stangman View Post
Personally, Id go with suspension. It will look a lot better and handle a lot better.

Do you think everything included in that kit will be adequate? No need to replace the struts and mounts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezona View Post
I'm in between swapping out my 2.73's for 3.73's or purchasing a handling starter pack(sve lowering springs, lower control arms, panhard bar, camber adjustment bolts.) SVE Mustang Performance Suspension Kit (11-14) - LatemodelRestoration.com

What do you guys think? Should I finish off my performance with the gears first, or add on a few suspension parts? Which will give me the biggest gains in your guys's opinion?

I've been going between the same choices for quite some time and I'm leaning towards the gears. Mainly because I believe it'll give the biggest bang for the buck. Just my 2 cents
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Suspension

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I can't wait to get my gears, but it would make no sense to get that if she can't "Handle" it...

Suspension

Black 2008 GT "to punish and enslave" edition
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Do you think everything included in that kit will be adequate? No need to replace the struts and mounts?

The list you have should be good.
Socal Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
I've been going between the same choices for quite some time and I'm leaning towards the gears. Mainly because I believe it'll give the biggest bang for the buck. Just my 2 cents

Me just wanting the most in demand power out of car is telling me gears too! But the conservativeness in me is saying to balance everything out with some suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black8thElement View Post
I can't wait to get my gears, but it would make no sense to get that if she can't "Handle" it...

Suspension

Makes sense. I just wish I was rich and could get it all at the same time haha

Old 07-14-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

You will have a hard time actually putting the power to the ground without suspension

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Suspension kit or Gears?

I wouldn't say it's being conservative bro, it's more like doing it the right way. I mean unless you wanna look like that cartoon car where the wheels keep spinning in one place while the other car is a good half a car length ahead of you after the green "on the track obviously" lmao

Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
Me just wanting the most in demand power out of car is telling me gears too! But the conservativeness in me is saying to balance everything out with some suspension
OK, cool, it's settled. Go with the suspension, do the gears latter
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The price on that kit is awesome. I know Eibach and J&M by reputation... is SVE good quality product? If so, I'm gonna grab one of these kits myself.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerone View Post
The price on that kit is awesome. I know Eibach and J&M by reputation... is SVE good quality product? If so, I'm gonna grab one of these kits myself.

Pretty sure sve is lmr's brand, kind of like sr is to am. All I know is the sve wheels are good quality for the price so I'm sure their suspension isnt too bad either. They're even doing tunes now I'm pretty curious how they are.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm sold on this kit. Should I also get a bumpsteer kit such as Steeda Bumpsteer Kit 555-8106 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping ?
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Suspension First. Do you look to see what it would cost to have struts, strut mounts and shocks to this kit?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I would agree suspension is the way to go here buuuut that SVE kit looks a little sketch to me. Looks cheap and the bushings in the LCAs look awful.

You may get what you pay for. I put together a similar kit piece by piece, it's more expensive but has quality parts.

Eibach Mustang Sportline Spring Kit - Coupe & Convertible 4.12535 (11-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping 264

BMR Mustang Rear Lower Control Arms with Poly Bushings - Hammertone Finish TCA019H (05-14 All) - Free Shipping 150

BMR Mustang Adjustable Panhard Bar - Hammertone Finish PHR006H (05-14 All) - Free Shipping 150

Eibach Mustang Pro-Alignment Camber Adjustment Bolts 5.81260K (05-14 All) - Free Shipping 35

My philosophy is, spend a little extra up front so you only have to do it once and you're confident it will work 100%.

My personal choice is the Pro System: Eibach Mustang Pro-System-Plus 35125.68 (11-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:35 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
+1, best mod I've done by far.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:39 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
You will have a hard time actually putting the power to the ground without suspension

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Actually not at all if its a dd. If your tracking on weekends then yes but just driving "spiritly" its really not a problem at all.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #19
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
I'm in between swapping out my 2.73's for 3.73's or purchasing a handling starter pack(sve lowering springs, lower control arms, panhard bar, camber adjustment bolts.)

It sounds like you have a pretty good build list so far! How are you enjoying the Bama tune?

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with your next mod. Suspension and Gears are both very important areas of your Mustang. I would personally go with a set of Gears next! You'll notice huge gains in acceleration and torque from a set of 3.73's. Gears are one of the best mods I did to my 2011 GT! After you have the power and acceleration where you want it, throw some suspension on to make sure you can put that power to the ground.

Keep in mind this is just my personal opinion! Let me know if you have any questions at all. We'd be happy to help!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninerone View Post
I think I'm sold on this kit. Should I also get a bumpsteer kit such as Steeda Bumpsteer Kit 555-8106 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping ?
I'd recommend this Bumpsteer kit to anyone whose Mustang is their DD, even on stock springs. Steering response is greatly improved and upon hitting 'bumps' the steering does not get thrown off.

If you're lowering though you'll also want to pair this bumpsteer kit up with Steeda's X11 Ball Joints. Lowering will throw off the geometry of the suspension and the X11's will be one of the items needed to correct it, as far as roll center goes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang