Totalled Car. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I might try, but our ford dealership is not the best as well I might have to drive this chevrolet sonic for like another extra month with how slow our ford dealership is, definitely trying to avoid that. As of now I believe it was caused by possibly steering wheel, wet tires or probably because I have not worked on the suspension, which I doubt since I was not speeding. Realistically I must have been going 15at most, 10 seems to slow now that I think about it lol. Just wait and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 05:30 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
OP, just an FYI, not sure what insurance company you have but I was able to get reimbursed money for my aftermarket parts. I was in an accident in my old car about 9 years ago so maybe things have changed, I had/still have State Farm. All I had to do was show them receipts for proof of purchase and they covered it. For example, they covered my aftermarket fog lights, grille, and underbody neons (yes, I was young and in fast and furious mode, lol) but the point is they even covered those. All that being said my car never did ride the same though. Good luck to you and wish you luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
rringler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:38 AM   #38
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rringler View Post
OP, just an FYI, not sure what insurance company you have but I was able to get reimbursed money for my aftermarket parts. I was in an accident in my old car about 9 years ago so maybe things have changed, I had/still have State Farm. All I had to do was show them receipts for proof of purchase and they covered it. For example, they covered my aftermarket fog lights, grille, and underbody neons (yes, I was young and in fast and furious mode, lol) but the point is they even covered those. All that being said my car never did ride the same though. Good luck to you and wish you luck.

With most insurance policies, getting reimursed for damaged aftermarket parts requires that you either notified them that they were installed (they note the policy). They may also raise the premium slightly to cover the cost.

For those who have extensively added aftermarket goodies to their ride, it would be wise to give your agent a call to make sure they are covered if an accident damages them and you want to collect.
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #39
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Totaled means that the price of the repair exceeds the value of the car.....
Actually, its 80 to 85% of the cars value, which could work better for the OP.

If the car has a value of $10,000.00, and the repair cost is greater than $8,000.00, the insurance company will most likely total it.

It depends on the policy that was written up. Most folks never bother to understand what coverage they have...they only look at the monthly payment. When an accident happens, this is when they are shocked to find they don't have exact cost replacement, are not intitled to OEM parts, have a large deductable they have to pay out first, or find their aftermarket installed parts are not included/covered.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:01 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Great posts bucko.

For more reference, I believe my insurance company totals vehicles at 75%.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I have AAA full coverage. Today I'll be speaking to the person who is in charge of inspecting the car and seeing how much damage has been done. Again appreciate the advice from everyone! I love aftermarket part would be the rim that got messed up.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Honestly i am not trying to be an ahole i just dont see how you didnt break to a complete stop going 10mph. Its very hard to believe your story .

You are doing 10mph
Your car starts turning by itself which is crazy in itself
You dont think to break which takes 0.01 seconds instead you think of turning the car so it doesnt hit the house head on.

Are you sure you were not impaired when this happened.

Again this post sounds like i am being a dick but your story is very hard to believe.
1800CoolGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #43
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post
Honestly i am not trying to be an ahole i just dont see how you didnt break to a complete stop going 10mph. Its very hard to believe your story .

You are doing 10mph
You dont think to break which takes 0.01 seconds instead you think of turning the car so it doesnt hit the house head on.

Again this post sounds like i am being a dick but your story is very hard to believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
Yeah honestly it happened so quick that I probably didn't react as well as I should have. As of now we still are doing the estimate of the damage and will see if it's totalled or fixable. Hard to explain everything lol, but yeah that's what happened.
The OP already stated on post #9 that he should have reacted faster. Let's give the guy a break and move on, what's done is done
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
So I went out this morning to test out how the OP said he crashed. I took turns from a roll and from a stop sign, both right and left, and gradually increasing speeds starting at 10 MPH up to 30 MPH (public road, didn't go over speed limit). anything up to 25 MPH was so slow that crashing in the manner he stated was physically impossible. The only way that the crash could have happened if he was going 10-15 MPH is if he purposely did so. I had time to check my steering wheel, brake, e-brake, check the steering whee again, and then think "I have a few more full seconds before I would even crash into a wall". Even 20-25 MPH a beginning driver would have easily had enough time to apply the brake, e-brake, check steering, everything. OP, it just doesn't match up I'm sorry. You were either texting while driving, impaired in some way, or purposely crashed your car. The damage in the picture is also impossible from a 10-15 mph crash which you say you "guided" for the least amount of possible damage, yet didn't have time to even try the brake. You immediately declared it totaled, and asked if you could have the inspector say it was, when it wasn't, which is insurance fraud. I don't know if you crashed it purposely to get an insurance check, were impaired while driving, or texting, or what, but the circumstances you described when you posted do not match up in any way, and the whole thing is pretty fishy. Not my business, but insurance fraud is illegal, as are texting while driving, DWI, and speeding. It seems it was one of those things, or you are just lying about something. As 1800CoolGuy said above me, not to sound like a dick, but after personally going out this morning and testing all the different scenarios out, it is simply not possible that this happened at 10-15 MPH, or even 20-25, and if the case is really true you should not possess a license.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #45
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1800CoolGuy View Post

You are doing 10mph

Surface conditions (i.e. wet, oily road surface) can play a large part in how severe an accident can escalate to.

Case in point: my son made a left turn at a 4 way intersection. He was going (he says) less that 25 miles an hour when making the turn to the left; he started to slide left, lost control, and hit (dead on) a car that was at the intersection to his left, waiting to also turn to their left. His truck, along with the older, large "towncar" he hit were both totalled. I could not believe the amount of damage that was caused by his statement that he was only driving 25 miles an hour or less when he hit the car. And he was driving a Mazda B3000 (A Ford Ranger badged as a Mazda). I really wanted to believe my son, but was doubtful from the looks of the damage caused to both vehicles.

His saving grace was that the police officer and witnesses to the accident all reported that my son indeed was doing 25 MPH or less when he hit the car.

I cannot doubt that this type of damage can be done with wet, or oily roads now.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #46
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

+1^^
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
Old 07-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

To Bucko and MustangDawg, I'm not trying to give the OP a hard time, it just really does not seem right to me. With an upcoming career in law enforcement and my degree in criminal justice, these things are very important to me. There easily could have been someone in those cars that he guided through or on the sidewalk before he hit the wall. Thank god there wasn't, but in my experience (responded to A LOT of crashes just like this one, and 99% of it was texting, DWI, or attempt at insurance fraud) and after testing these scenarios out myself this morning, things do not add up. Again, not trying to be a dick or call anyone out, but Insurance fraud is illegal, and he stated getting the inspector to say it was totaled, I don't want anyone reading this thread and thinking that's OK, no matter what the chance of that happening is.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #48
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
To Bucko and MustangDawg, I'm not trying to give the OP a hard time, it just really does not seem right to me. With an upcoming career in law enforcement and my degree in criminal justice, these things are very important to me. There easily could have been someone in those cars that he guided through or on the sidewalk before he hit the wall. Thank god there wasn't, but in my experience (responded to A LOT of crashes just like this one, and 99% of it was texting, DWI, or attempt at insurance fraud) and after testing these scenarios out myself this morning, things do not add up. Again, not trying to be a dick or call anyone out, but Insurance fraud is illegal, and he stated getting the inspector to say it was totaled, I don't want anyone reading this thread and thinking that's OK, no matter what the chance of that happening is.
I agree with you and the insurance fraud reasoning...folks that do this and get away with it only make others premiums go up; insurance companies are in business to make money.

However, I have a first hand experience with my sons truck and a huge towncar that both had damage to the point that they were totalled, and eye witnesses and the police officers report indicated that his speed was 25 MPH or less.

I can only scratch my head and ponder how such a low speed could do this, but I simply end up scratching my thining hair on my head off.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:21 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
That's terrible but glad you are ok. Like others I would like to know what happened.
kingstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #50
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This is just getting ridiculous and full of assumptions, I'm taking my own advice and will move on - Later
Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I agree with you and the insurance fraud reasoning...folks that do this and get away with it only make others premiums go up; insurance companies are in business to make money.

However, I have a first hand experience with my sons truck and a huge towncar that both had damage to the point that they were totalled, and eye witnesses and the police officers report indicated that his speed was 25 MPH or less.

I can only scratch my head and ponder how such a low speed could do this, but I simply end up scratching my thining hair on my head off.
The reason for newer cars getting totaled in low speed crashes are that they are now made with "crumple zones". Basically, they are made to fold and crumple to absorb the kinetic energy in a crash before it gets to you. This works amazingly well. However, it also destroys the car a lot more. Older cars used to be solid and could take a hit at 40 MPH and have little damage on them, however all that kinetic energy is transferred at a much higher rate to the passengers, which causes more injury. I forget where I saw it, but some show took a 60's sedan and a 2009 Corolla, put dummies with the sticky pad impact gauges on them, and crashed them head on at 35 MPH. The 60's car was not too bad on the outside, and the Corolla was TOTALED (Like, destroyed). The dummies in the 60's car, however, were "dead" and the ones in the Corolla were fine (what would amount to superficial injuries, nothing critical).
Old 07-16-2014, 12:39 PM   #52
Admin

Supporter
Admin

^^^ Makes sense! I used to think that the best thing parents could do for their first time teenage drivers would be to buy them an older "beater" type vehicle. Lots of metal to protect them, and the "beater' so that the parent would not care when they got into the typical fender bender incidents that can be expected with new drivers.

your statement and logic makes my idea a bad one, as they would be safer in a newer vehicle.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:46 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
^^^ Makes sense! I used to think that the best thing parents could do for their first time teenage drivers would be to buy them an older "beater" type vehicle. Lots of metal to protect them, and the "beater' so that the parent would not care when they got into the typical fender bender incidents that can be expected with new drivers.

your statement and logic makes my idea a bad one, as they would be safer in a newer vehicle.
My parents had the same logic! Really, anything that has side air bags is best for kids IMO. Hell, my first car was a 1999 Crown Victoria, "big and safe" haha. Now that thing was a boat. it was banged to hell, had a hole in the floorboard, chipping paint, but it had a good, powerful engine in it, and the size of it really made me a better driver. After driving that for 3 years, I was lucky enough to get my mustang brand new off the lot a month after it was released. It really taught me to appreciate what you have, and how to be a better and safer driver. You put a newly licensed driver in, say, a new 5.0 and you're basically asking for an accident in some way. Now, that's not true for every kid, but it is good to start them with something big and safe that can take a few hits and won't matter.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
My guess? Tires were wet from the wash and he took off and managed to kick the rear out and lose control of the car. I agree that the damage does not indicate a 10 MPH crash, but people in crashes often times are completely wrong about the circumstances surrounding what happened due to the flight or flight reflex.
The insurance company might take a look at the data recorder to see what it says about the period right before the crash, especially since real property damage was involved.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Lol very hard story to believe indeed I might be exaggerating by saying 10mph. It probably was 15-20mph. I'll try to be descriptive as possible. Not texting, never do while driving. I had just finished washing the car, completely wet, never dry it at the self washing spots since it's packed. The street has 2 lanes, I was heading towards the far left lane, in gear 1, once car was parallel with Street I shifted to 2 when steering wheel jerked to the right heading towards parked cars (car length before making contact) I shifted to the left out of reaction and just shocked to try and gain control but caused it to swerve heading towards the train tracks and had a quick jerk to the right at this point I was about 5 feet from hitting parked cars, fortunately there was a large gap between 2 of the parked cars and my car was headed towards that direction. Heading bumper first towards the building about 3 feet away still going pretty quick from what it felt like I tried to dodge it and move the car towards the left and ended up hitting the building with the bumper /side rim.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

And no I wasn't even aware to insurance fraud till mentioned in this post. As I stated first time ever being in accident I just feel like I bought a new car and basically ****ed it up (excuse the language), I read all this stories how cars are not the same and just kinda scares me. When the police arrived they said car was totaled as well as the tower. So they recommended to talk to insurance and get a check. But upon arriving to the body shop, they said most likely not totaled. Me being in such a negative state of mind due to all this stories I've read want it to be totaled which is why I asked. Who would come on a forum and ask about credit fraud?? On top of that as I said I was shocked /surprised and reacted horrible now that you guys tell me all this possible scenarios. And as some of you know I am a new stick driver so that could also be a factor?? I'll be glad to answer questions don't want myself to seem like this shady guy who just wants money. It's my first car under my name, a car I love and wanted on top of that but just saddened that it happened like this. I apologize for any confusion.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangDawg View Post
This is just getting ridiculous and full of assumptions, I'm taking my own advice and will move on - Later
I have to agree, totalling cars at 25mph and under. Facepalm

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Lol very hard story to believe indeed I might be exaggerating by saying 10mph. It probably was 15-20mph. I'll try to be descriptive as possible. Not texting, never do while driving. I had just finished washing the car, completely wet, never dry it at the self washing spots since it's packed. The street has 2 lanes, I was heading towards the far left lane, in gear 1, once car was parallel with Street I shifted to 2 when steering wheel jerked to the right heading towards parked cars (car length before making contact) I shifted to the left out of reaction and just shocked to try and gain control but caused it to swerve heading towards the train tracks and had a quick jerk to the right at this point I was about 5 feet from hitting parked cars, fortunately there was a large gap between 2 of the parked cars and my car was headed towards that direction. Heading bumper first towards the building about 3 feet away still going pretty quick from what it felt like I tried to dodge it and move the car towards the left and ended up hitting the building with the bumper /side rim.
Have you looked at the road where you were when the steering wheel jerked to the right? A rut or a pothole or even a rock could cause the wheel to move and the steering to turn. There has never been a report of a Mustang steering on its own to my knowledge.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

I totaled my 2nd Mustang in a slow(ish) speed accident. Granted, the situation was entirely different.

I was doing 45 in a 45 on a two lane road when some idiot - unlicensed and undocumented, I might add... this happened in Phoenix, AZ - turned right into a community from the outside of the two lanes, right across my hood, at the last possible second to make the turn.

I reacted poorly even with my years of experience and defensive driving courses. Instead of tapping the breaks and swerving left to the outside lane - where the driver came from - I slammed my breaks and swerved towards the driver. I avoided collision (somehow) but ran up on the curb. At this point, police estimated my speed at 25 based on the tracks I left from slamming the breaks. Up on the curb was one of those big green electrical transformers. Given it is anchored into concrete, the transformer did a good job of bringing me to a complete stop real fast. Impact was estimate at about 12-15mph, after the curb snapped my axle at the right front tire and slowed me down further.

At this point, there was probably plenty of damage to the car and it was likely a total loss just from the axle break and front end damage. But the day needed to add insult to injury. The transformer actually snapped its moorings, slid about 8 inches and, in the process, severed a primary gas main. What the civil engineers were thinking when they put a gas main next to a high voltage electrical transformer I will never know. In any case, the sparks from the impact ignited the gas main and a 24 foot high plume of fire proceeded to shoot into the air.

Airbags deployed and when I gathered my senses enough to see fire coming out from under my hood, I yelled at my girlfriend (eventually wife) to get out and jumped out myself. Medics delivered me and my girlfriend to the hospital because she was about a month pregnant. I only heard from police and watched on the news later that they couldn't shut down the gas immediately. They evacuated the neighborhood and firefighters could only watch my poor, beautiful blue Mustang quite literally melt in the flames. Insurance later claimed a - no joke here - charcoal black Mustang with no discernable VIN # from the tow company.

Later that day, my USC Trojans lost the Rose Bowl national championship to my wife's Texas Longhorns. Oh, and we found out our unplanned pregnancy was not one child but two, identical twins. January 1, 2006 will be a day I never forget!

TLDR; My initial curb impact was at or below 25 mph, and "immovable" object impact was at or below 15 mph. It doesn't take much speed to ruin a Mustang.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

For the OP to note: in my accident, I used my property insurance (home/renters insurance) to recover the property inside my car. I had about $3,000 worth of sound equipment and miscellaneous property - things like my CDs, laptop, rollerblades, girlfriend's purse and shoes, etc. - replaced by my renter's insurance. Your car insurance likely will not cover things like that. I had no aftermarket modifications - the car was literally less than 3,000 miles old.
ninerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

I did not check roads, San Francisco roads are pretty bad tho lol.
Edit: crazy story man glad you made it out safe lol. My airbags didn't deploy, most likely due to the last second turning to avoid a head on collision
Old 07-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
The reason for newer cars getting totaled in low speed crashes are that they are now made with "crumple zones". Basically, they are made to fold and crumple to absorb the kinetic energy in a crash before it gets to you. This works amazingly well. However, it also destroys the car a lot more. Older cars used to be solid and could take a hit at 40 MPH and have little damage on them, however all that kinetic energy is transferred at a much higher rate to the passengers, which causes more injury. I forget where I saw it, but some show took a 60's sedan and a 2009 Corolla, put dummies with the sticky pad impact gauges on them, and crashed them head on at 35 MPH. The 60's car was not too bad on the outside, and the Corolla was TOTALED (Like, destroyed). The dummies in the 60's car, however, were "dead" and the ones in the Corolla were fine (what would amount to superficial injuries, nothing critical).

+1 about the crumple zones. However, cars without crumple zones couldn't "take a hit at 40 mph with little damage." In fact, the whole car would crumple, and likely send the dashboard and steering column into the occupants chests. I saw an off set crash test with a 1950s sedan (don't remember the make) and rather than taking the hit, the entire front end twisted to the side and crushed the test dummy. Lol crumple zones are zones designed to fail in a crash, so that other parts of the frame do not.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Man I wasn't even aware of that. Imma look that up on YouTube. Even now I'm still learning something here haha. Love it.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
+1 about the crumple zones. However, cars without crumple zones couldn't "take a hit at 40 mph with little damage." In fact, the whole car would crumple, and likely send the dashboard and steering column into the occupants chests. I saw an off set crash test with a 1950s sedan (don't remember the make) and rather than taking the hit, the entire front end twisted to the side and crushed the test dummy. Lol crumple zones are zones designed to fail in a crash, so that other parts of the frame do not.
That may be the case, just in the show I was watching they crashed at 35MPH and that was the result, some front end damage to the old 60's car but nothing compared to what the Toyota looked like. The dummies inside were "dead" in the old car.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

But yes, in most cases the older car would be annihilated, basically shattering on speeds of 40 MPH + or less. It was just the specific case I watched that there was not a lot of damage.

here's an example from Chevy. Notice the crumple zones on the malibu. They immediately crumple on impact, dissipating the kinetic force. The Bel Aire is DESTROYED.
Thanks for the info Six, the little damage in the video I saw was the opposite of what happens in most cases. The results are still astounding though.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

What year was that introduced?
Old 07-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What year was that introduced?

Mercedes Benz started working on it in the 50's, not sure when it was really introduced. That video I posted is from 2009.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang