Totalled Car. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Totalled Car.

Hey all as the topic says, I totalled my lovely v6. I had just washed the car was making a left on a 2 way street, shifted to second once turn was completed when all of a sudden the steering wheel starts acting up literally moving left to right and I'm trying to control the car, wasn't able to do anything. Heading towards a street I managed to squeeze between 2 parked cars, shift the car to the left and hit a building with the bumper and right side rim. I'm okay, shocked as it happened in the most unusual way, going around 10mph. Has anyone had problems with the steering?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405376425703.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	161496Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405376459974.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	161497Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1405376520242.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	161499
Old 07-14-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Sorry that this happened. The damage on your car looks like it was going a lot faster than 10 mph. If you were only going 10 mph why didn't you just brake or pull the e-brake?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
ouch...from a non pro I doubt totalled but ouch.

there have been issues with tracion control acting up (mine did it 1x maybe 2x) also I've read folks exiting car washes and having stuff from the wash lube the snot out of your tires. I trust you are ok but I feel for ya.

Mud
Old 07-14-2014, 05:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I tried breaking but was already close to impact and had only time to move the car towards my left so it wouldn't be a full head on. And yeah I was at 10-15mph at most.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:30 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Sorry that this happened. The damage on your car looks like it was going a lot faster than 10 mph. If you were only going 10 mph why didn't you just brake or pull the e-brake?

Glad that you're OK, but that's a good question.
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondUno View Post
I tried breaking but was already close to impact and had only time to move the car towards my left so it wouldn't be a full head on. And yeah I was at 10-15mph at most.

If you were going around a turn at 10 mph, felt your steering go out and had time to attempt turning it back and forth, you coulda just stomped the brake, literally a 1 second stop. Going 10mph with your foot not on the gas you would be decelerating, and you would have a long time to brake. You had the time to see if the steering would work, angle yourself through 2 parked cars, then turn your car so it would be a side impact, all while decelerating from 10 mph out of a turn? It sounds like you took the turn too fast , faster than 10 mph, couldn't correct yourself and went out of control as you fish tailed, then avoided the cars and went into the wall. Not trying to be rude or anything, it's just extremely unbelievable that all this happened at 10mph with you not even able to hit the brakes once.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
There's no mechanical "thing" in the Mustang that should be able to yank the steering wheel left and right on it's own. I just wonder what could have failed...
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah honestly it happened so quick that I probably didn't react as well as I should have. As of now we still are doing the estimate of the damage and will see if it's totalled or fixable. Hard to explain everything lol, but yeah that's what happened.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yea it's easy to say what should of been done but in the heat of the moment it's hard.. We don't always experience this so it's hard to be focused when it does happen.. The good news is your ok and hopefully you had insurance. Stay safe buddy
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have to agree with Grabber. But if it is totalled, IMO its fixable, it might set a record for the slowest moving totalled mustang ever. Glad to hear no one was hurt.

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

^lmao man great record to be part of. I hope it's fixable but then again cars are not the same after? If totalled I would strip it and just save the money for the future.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It will work out bro, that really sucks. Did you have replacement coverage in case it is totalled?

2013 3.7 Manual Candy apple red metallic,
GT 500 stripes, painted side mirror covers, GT 500 spoiler, 2010 GT premium wheels with Pirelli P-zero tires, upper and lower front billet grille, Barton shifter bracket, Airaid Cold air intake, S.R lowering springs, J&M adjustable panhard bar, Boss 302 strut tower brace, 3.73 ford racing gears, Bama tuned, BBK shorty headers, Roush Axel backs.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I have full coverage with AAA so not sure if that is included?
Old 07-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I hope you aren't young.

Once your insurance reads the data on the EDR, your insurance will likely go way, way up...
Old 07-14-2014, 06:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

23 next month. Regardless it's going up since I hit a building.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I just noticed the wrecker said San Bruno. That's where my brother lives. lol
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Totalled Car.

Double post
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
There's no mechanical "thing" in the Mustang that should be able to yank the steering wheel left and right on it's own. I just wonder what could have failed...
Actually 2011+'s have the same electric power steering as other Fords that have an "auto parking" option. Auto parking requires the car to turn the steering wheel by itself. I'm not saying that this is what happened only that there is a possibility that a Mustang with electric power steering could turn its own wheel.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Totaled means that the price of the repair exceeds the value of the car. It does not mean that there is structural damage or things that would prevent it from being fixed. Lots of people buy these cars and fix them themselves, so they can have an expensive car for less money.

Anyway, it doesn't look totaled at all. Even a base 13' still books for over $20k. I had to have my fender, rocker, window, side-view mirror, door skin, rear quarter, and wheels replaced after a Dodge Ram decided he wanted in my lane while I was beside him. It was only $4k worth of repairs. It looks like yours has less body work that that. Bumpers and fenders are easy to replace. Part of your front support might be damaged looking at how the condenser or radiator is tilted, but it's hard to tell.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks sanguin! 👍 the guy that was inspecting said he doesn't believe it's totaled but hey if it is I'll be glad to use the money for down payment on another car lol. I'm. Hoping insurance doesn't spike I'm at $140 atm. I'll be fine with a maximum of $250 lol. And the rental car is a Chevy sonic. God missing the stang already.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 AM   #22
Staff

Regular
Staff

ya gonna do any mods on the Sonic?

poor impulse control
Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hope your stang gets fixed
white14v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

@strange mud might turbo it haha.
@white14v6 appreciate it, hopefully they can fix it but I also don't want future problems due to this accident which sucks. On top of that I can't be having the steering wheel act up like that, I really don't know what went wrong I've done harder/sharper turns with ease at faster speed.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:46 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

quick question, would it benefit me to just claim the car totaled? Just thinking future wise, since the car has been in involved in a accident now. been reading a alot on how "cars aren't the same after a accident" just don't know how I am going to react if it does get fixed, just pissed that this happened man, I'm wondering now if it was the tires since I had just washed the car.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
quick question, would it benefit me to just claim the car totaled? Just thinking future wise, since the car has been in involved in a accident now.
If it's not totalled and they tell you it's not, how are you going to claim it totalled?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

The person who is inspecting the car is a friend but I am unsure if it would be possible to do as I don't know how these things go about.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The person who is inspecting the car is a friend but I am unsure if it would be possible to do as I don't know how these things go about.
You can have him total it as a favor to you when it's really not using a method known as insurance fraud.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Aaaah okay, new to all this being first accident and all lol. Just really hoping body shop does a good job then. Some of these stories online make it seem like a car is complete garbage after a semi-big accident.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:28 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Do you guys think once the car is fixed and all that stuff, I could take it to ford for them to check if it was a steering wheel problem? Or since I have added parts to the car they say it was caused by me possibly?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Find the absolute most reputable body shop around your area. Get an estimate from them (price doesn't matter). Send it to your insurance. They'll take it from there. Hopefully they'll fix it as well as possible.

Work with your body shop if you have damaged aftermarket items. Looks like one of your wheels is shot. Insurance will give you enough money only to replace it with an OEM wheel your model came with. Take that money, pitch in a little of your own, and order a replacement aftermarket wheel. Same goes for any other damaged aftermarket items on your car.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:51 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the advice stangz. appreciate it.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do you guys think once the car is fixed and all that stuff, I could take it to ford for them to check if it was a steering wheel problem? Or since I have added parts to the car they say it was caused by me possibly?
Have you clearly modified anything that would cause a steering failure in your car? If not, I'd say its worth a shot to bring it into Ford and tell them what happened. They can only reject you if you've done something that may have or did cause the failure. Realistically, a CAI or mid-pipe swap shouldn't cause a failure like that.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I have just done mods that are on my sig. I was thinking if they needed a reason they would blame it on a tune?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Only if the tune modified anything steering related or modifying the engine's tune modifies anything to steering functionality... Which I wouldn't know if the 2011+ tunes do or not (my guess, probably not).

That's a question to Ask GrabberBlue5.0... I believe he's tuned his own GT.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang