Mustang Evolution Forum banner

How to downshift on sport shift mode

31K views 38 replies 19 participants last post by  Sassysheila 
#1 ·
I know how to enter sport shift mode and I know when to shift up to a higher gear, but when do I know is the time to shift to a lower gear? Say I'm in 4th gear and I'm reaching a red light, how am I suppose to go back down to the 1st gear without damaging anything?

What I usually do is put it back in drive and just stop, but I've heard that's bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 ·
The point of downshifting is to engine brake, which basically is using the transmission to slow the car instead of the brakes. You can just coast to a stop in whatever gear you are in, just make sure you're taking off again in 1st. The car will likely Downshift on its own, or start you in first anyways, but its on the dash so just pay attention.

#4 ·
Better with the Automatic transmission

NOT to downshift when just stopping for a light or stop sign. What happens with the automatic is that when you let off the throttle and use the brake . The fuel is shut off at the injectors and the transmission will down shift safely better then you can do it.

It is fun to do it with the manual but still hard on the drive train.
Always remember with the manual " Brake pads are cheaper then replacing a clutch"

Ronnie

#16 ·
NOT to downshift when just stopping for a light or stop sign. What happens with the automatic is that when you let off the throttle and use the brake . The fuel is shut off at the injectors and the transmission will down shift safely better then you can do it.

It is fun to do it with the manual but still hard on the drive train.

Always remember with the manual " Brake pads are cheaper then replacing a clutch"

Ronnie

Downshifting doesn't hurt our engines or transmissions. The car downshifts on it's own when you perform a hard acceleration anyways.

#6 ·
With sports mode this is how down shifting works.

If you are in 4th gear and coming to a light, once you begin braking the car will auto downshift when you are at a complete stop to gear 1.

If you are in gears 3 and below, the car will not auto down shift since these gears can be used for take off. the car dosnt know if it should downshift for you.. So when you come to a complete stop in gears 2-3 you need to bring the gear down manually (using the - ) to first gear. If you forget to shift down to first gear the take off will be rather slow because your at a complete stop.

I would recommend that you let the car down shift and just work the break.. If your below 3rd gear just remember to shift down at stops. Hope this helped

#11 ·
I learned the hard way I was at a local track with some friends and I forgot to downshift from 3 to 1 and at the green light I took off like a turtle haha it was hilarious! Yea I got toast real bad lol

Or when you forget your in sports mode and at a red light.. At green light you hit the gas and your at 7rpms wondering why it feels like your drag racing lol oh yea forgot to switch gears haha it auto shifted for me but it took a little longer to do so.. No damage at all

#13 ·
The 2012 Auto is different.

When I'm slowing down my transmission will shift all the way down to 1st.gear when I stop. If i'm almost at a stop and the light turns green and I accelerate it is usually in 2nd. gear and stays there until it needs to shift up. It will not go into 1st. at all while the car is moving. Never a problem because there is well enough power to get me going again. I can manually shift it into 1st. at a slow speed but really no need to do it.
These new automatic transmissions are remarkable how great they function. It seems I'm always in a proper gear. If I'm on a nice curvy road and want to use 5th. gear I just hit the little black button on the side of the shifter and it locks it into 5th. gear but will down *shift when i have to slow down. It works flawless.
Ronnie

#17 ·
Of course it won't hurt anything with the Automatic.

There is just no sane reason to do it constantly.
The transmission does the downshifting for you.
Ronnie

#18 ·
There is just no sane reason to do it constantly.

The transmission does the downshifting for you.

Ronnie

On the road, maybe not, but downshifting at the track has advantages. It keeps your RPMs high through slower sections so that you can accelerate out of corners. Especially since our 3.7s lack a lot of low-down torque.

#19 ·
You are correct

At the track you want to manually use the gear you need. Then the later model select shift is really good. I'm not familiar with the 2014/2014 shift series.
On my 2012 I have 1st.-2nd.-3rd. & Drive. There is a button on the side of the shifter that when pushed will lock out 6th. gear.
On the 2012 you only really have 1st.-2nd. or 3rd. to lock in. When you stick it into "D" it shifts it's self.
I'm thinking they did it better in 2013 when they added "Select Shift"

Of course I don't auto-X or track anymore so i'm happy with my 2012. If I still did driving sports I would not be so happy with the 2012 shift set-up.
Ronnie

#20 ·
At the track you want to manually use the gear you need. Then the later model select shift is really good. I'm not familiar with the 2014/2014 shift series.

On my 2012 I have 1st.-2nd.-3rd. & Drive. There is a button on the side of the shifter that when pushed will lock out 6th. gear.

On the 2012 you only really have 1st.-2nd. or 3rd. to lock in. When you stick it into "D" it shifts it's self.

I'm thinking they did it better in 2013 when they added "Select Shift"

Of course I don't auto-X or track anymore so i'm happy with my 2012. If I still did driving sports I would not be so happy with the 2012 shift set-up.

Ronnie

On the 13/14 it is pretty different. We have the P, R, N, D and then S for Sport (which locks 6th gear out). If you select S, the transmission will still shift itself but if you put it in S and then press the +/- button on the side of the gear selector, you can manually select your gears 1-6. It still won't let you do anything stupid, like start from a stop in 5th but you do have a good bit of control.

#21 ·
Just hit the rocker and downshift. It's really pretty simple and easy to use and from my experience, the car does a decent job at protecting itself. It won't let you downshift too far and if you're on your way up through the gears, it won't let you rev too high either. I physically can't drive a manual anymore and I was pretty disappointed when I had to get an automatic but with the sport shift, I don't really miss it. I still get to have all the fun of a manual with the convenience of an automatic.

#22 ·
sorry to bring up a old thread.
I dont know if this is normal and 2 years of owning it only recently i started using it. When i put my shifter in S and drive letting the computer shift for me, i notice when i brake rpm goes up about 300 when it downshifts.

#24 ·
I believe it's simulating Rev Matching as in a manual. Sounds cool.
The 2014 Chevy SS, the performance sedans that only came with an automatic, do that. 370Z also. and I'm sure there's others.

#25 ·
When braking sport shift mode, it automatically down shifts for you to keep your rpms up high so you can be in the optimal part of the powerband.

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

In*

#28 ·
Kind of hard to understand what your saying. When I am in sport mode and lets say I am in 5th at 50mph and start braking , it will quickly shift to 4th to keep my rpms up. Unlike regular D (Drive) that wont downshift early for you and only downshifts when you slow down enouph. Im sure this is what you are reffering to and is conpletely normal.

#29 ·
For example when if im cruising around 45mph, shifter in S letting computer shift for me. If i press the brake, for every 10mph or so it goes down rpm revs up about 300 until it stops(0mph). I dont know how to explain it any simpler lol sorry if its confusing.

#31 ·
Down shifting

I know how to enter sport shift mode and I know when to shift up to a higher gear, but when do I know is the time to shift to a lower gear? Say I'm in 4th gear and I'm reaching a red light, how am I suppose to go back down to the 1st gear without damaging anything?

What I usually do is put it back in drive and just stop, but I've heard that's bad.

I have a 2015 Mustang 3.7L V6, 6 speed auto w/ paddle shifter (sweet) I down shift from 4th to 3rd to 2nd coming to a stop not exceeding 3000 RPM's

#32 ·

I have a 2015 Mustang 3.7L V6, 6 speed auto w/ paddle shifters (sweet) I down shift 4th to 3rd to 2nd not exceeding 3000 RPM's

#33 ·
u can put ur left foot on the clutch press clutch in... then move stick shift from 3rd to second ... no need to press gas in... that is how u downshift like a boss

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit, Bbk shorty ceramic tuned headers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.