BAMA- What are you really getting from them? - Page 16 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #526
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Adaptive learning cannot be turned off. As for the O2 sensors if you mean "delete" them in the tune file as if you had a Catless midpipe, then yes. Not sure why you'd want to if you don't though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ahhh!! I don't know if adaptive learning is something tuners 'would not want' to turn off, but I was at local performance shop 2 days (he's a mustang nut and is best in BC) to do a few dyno pulls. Stock, stock with fuse 47, and 2 tunes. He goes you should get your adaptive learning turned off, we do so while tuning our coyotes to get good power just by adding bolt ons.

As for rear o2 sensor, have you ever noticed if you car 'responds' better to your throttle after a cold start (let's say in the morning), as compared to when the engine is warm? Mine feels a beast, but the same throttle response is bit diminished when I have driven my car for 40-45 mins continuously. I did some digging and found that out most ECUs on modern cars start taking up data from rear o2 sensor once the car has warmed up. Based on this data, it adjusts amount of fuel, spark and bunch of other performance parameters.

I don't remember the exact explanation but it was something along the lines of as your engine runs, exhaust gases start becoming warmer - based on this data collected through o2 sensor, our cars adjust its parameters.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
bazinga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 10:03 AM   #527
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazinga11 View Post
Ahhh!! I don't know if adaptive learning is something tuners 'would not want' to turn off, but I was at local performance shop 2 days (he's a mustang nut and is best in BC) to do a few dyno pulls. Stock, stock with fuse 47, and 2 tunes. He goes you should get your adaptive learning turned off, we do so while tuning our coyotes to get good power just by adding bolt ons.

As for rear o2 sensor, have you ever noticed if you car 'responds' better to your throttle after a cold start (let's say in the morning), as compared to when the engine is warm? Mine feels a beast, but the same throttle response is bit diminished when I have driven my car for 40-45 mins continuously. I did some digging and found that out most ECUs on modern cars start taking up data from rear o2 sensor once the car has warmed up. Based on this data, it adjusts amount of fuel, spark and bunch of other performance parameters.

I don't remember the exact explanation but it was something along the lines of as your engine runs, exhaust gases start becoming warmer - based on this data collected through o2 sensor, our cars adjust its parameters.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
You know, my Hyundai worked the same way. Guys would unplug or disconnect thier o2 sensors something called "open loop" and I gotta say it helped a lot. Especially if running boost. The front was the main one too as it adjusted everything. Everything smoothed out and the car pulled pretty good, but it ran pig rich and had a rough idle.

You know I wouldn't be surprised if BAMA or MPT or any of those guys could in fact block or cut the o2 sensors out and close the adaptive learning but just don't due to legal reasons...
Old 09-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #528
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
I imagine unplugging your O2 sensors and running rich would be trashing your cats though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #529
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Yeah like VIG said the cats would likely clog with over rich exhaust and then you'd have bigger issues down the line.

As for adaptive learning, I've asked Bama, MPT, Steeda and Lund. They all say no it can't be turned off. It can be overwritten but it will start to adjust itself over time.

I'm wondering if what that guy meant was turning off Skip Shift?

2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:40 PM   #530
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm makes sense folks, but I'm still wondering whats the role of front o2 sensor then? - is it before cats?

Joey: I'm pretty sure he meant adaptive learning since I was talking about doing a dyno pull on stock tune, before and after pulling fuse 47 out due to adaptive learning. This is where he was like you should get it turned off in your tune (he know I have a manual). He knows mustangs inside out, and he's the best tuner around.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 09-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #531
VIG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
BAMA- What are you really getting from them?

Quote:
Hmm makes sense folks, but I'm still wondering whats the role of front o2 sensor then? - is it before cats?

Joey: I'm pretty sure he meant adaptive learning since I was talking about doing a dyno pull on stock tune, before and after pulling fuse 47 out due to adaptive learning. This is where he was like you should get it turned off in your tune (he know I have a manual). He knows mustangs inside out, and he's the best tuner around.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

The upstream sensors (front ones before cats) affect how the car runs. It's measuring the oxygen and fuel in the exhaust. The downstream ones (back ones after cats) are for measuring catalytic converter efficiency. The upstream and downstream numbers are fed to the ECU and it compares the numbers between them to determine catalytic converter efficiency.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #532
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||

Yes it's before the CATs.
I understand it's a wideband. Allows the ecu to read how the fuel is burning wether it's too rich or too lean and allows for adjustment.

I wonder if it is part of the adaptive learning system. Would explain some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIG View Post
I imagine unplugging your O2 sensors and running rich would be trashing your cats though.

Oh ya for sure...but I think they used piggy backs to adjust things a little since the Hyundai ECUs at the time couldn't be reflashed or tuned.

I know I did. SAFC II air fuel adjuster, also I was turboed and didn't have CATS.

Quote:

As for adaptive learning, I've asked Bama, MPT, Steeda and Lund. They all say no it can't be turned off. It can be overwritten but it will start to adjust itself over time.

I'm wondering if what that guy meant was turning off Skip Shift?

I think there is more to it. Best bet is to go to a custom tuner. One who isn't "big name" and see if they can do it. Also I'm pretty sure manuals have adaptive recorrectioning even when tuned because I swear things change and get sluggish after a few weeks.

Just pulled my fuse 3 days ago and my car feels great. The first 30 mins of driving was blah, kind of jerky, not smooth, sudden idle surges and such but once it warmed up and it felt better. Next day it fired up great. Smooth idle and power from 2500 rpm on till 5800-6200k rpm.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #533
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
Hey Cheis it won't let me PM you. I dunno if your inbox is full or what but i sent a message to Alex instead.
Hey Sorry about the delay but I was offsite for a few days! Shot you a PM back as well!

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:43 AM   #534
Registered Member
Regular

Love reading this post! Really make me want a tuner on my mustang but it's bone stock right now. Maybe down the road after some mods. First things on the list are CAI and better exhaust. I was a bit skeptical about getting the v6 but it has been a blast to drive!!! I can only imagine how good it will be when I start adding things. I would love to hear about some experiences with tunes and the manual v6's. Pretty much anything I've read has been guys with autos. Can't wait to see the dyno results too. Also, I have the utmost respect for Alex from AM. His effort with everyone has definitely won my business. Keep up the good work!!

bob_kky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #535
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_kky View Post
Love reading this post! Really make me want a tuner on my mustang but it's bone stock right now. Maybe down the road after some mods. First things on the list are CAI and better exhaust. I was a bit skeptical about getting the v6 but it has been a blast to drive!!! I can only imagine how good it will be when I start adding things. I would love to hear about some experiences with tunes and the manual v6's. Pretty much anything I've read has been guys with autos. Can't wait to see the dyno results too. Also, I have the utmost respect for Alex from AM. His effort with everyone has definitely won my business. Keep up the good work!!

I'd get the tuner first. Get that and with BAMAS free tune for life every time you do a modification you can just send in for a new tune no problem. Now you could get shortie headers with out really needing a tune and an intake will give you some sound and a small boost in power but set you back more than half the cost of the tuner which is where your going to get the best performance for your money. Even if your stock the timing changes and throttle response improvements will have you grinning like a school boy on his first roller coaster
Fintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:22 PM   #536
Registered Member
Regular

Hi guys , just bought a Bama Ctr tune from a guy ,, i tried and it works fine, questions is whats the s and p stands for after the tune description ex: 87s....

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Dcauchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #537
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcauchon View Post
Hi guys , just bought a Bama Ctr tune from a guy ,, i tried and it works fine, questions is whats the s and p stands for after the tune description ex: 87s....

street performance and race

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
elkoritaNAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:41 PM   #538
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Street and performance respectively. I would not use tunes made for someone else's car on yours

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 10-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #539
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
Street and performance respectively. I would not use tunes made for someone else's car on yours

+1 other mods in previous car may not match yours plus a computer number specific to ur cars engine

Flowmaster force 2 exhaust, jlt cai, x4 bama tuner, carbon fiber dash overlay kit, modern retro shift knob, mmd hood and side scoops, classic quarter louvers, gt500 spoiler, 3.7 and pony emblems, mustang rocker stripes, eibach anti sway roll bar kit
Old 10-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #540
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoritaNAY View Post
+1 other mods in previous car may not match yours plus a computer number specific to ur cars engine

Fingers crossed, youre also running risk of bricking your car since tune is designed to run on a completely different ECU. Spend another 75 bucks and get a tune from MPT. Better safe than sorry brah.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-18-2014, 08:38 PM   #541
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fingers crossed, youre also running risk of bricking your car since tune is designed to run on a completely different ECU. Spend another 75 bucks and get a tune from MPT. Better safe than sorry brah.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
^This x1000. MPT and Done!
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #542
Registered Member
Regular

Just finished data logging with MPT after header and TB install. Holy Jesus the car runs amazing

Old 10-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #543
Registered Member
Regular

How did you mock quarter mile/wot to red line pulls? Faawk it's so hard to do data log here without catching attention from popos

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #544
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How did you mock quarter mile/wot to red line pulls? Faawk it's so hard to do data log here without catching attention from popos

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Late nights and country roads man.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:30 PM   #545
Registered Member
Regular

Just restore to stock and order an update to be sure that my cpu will match with my bama tune, thanks to the comments youv sent me

Dcauchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #546
Registered Member
Regular

Just floored it to red line and floored it for like 12 seconds getting on the parkway off an exit

Old 10-19-2014, 08:32 AM   #547
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just finished data logging with MPT after header and TB install. Holy Jesus the car runs amazing

Awesome! I just got a datalog tune back from Bama and so far it's 100x better than before. Still a bit slower up top but that's prolly cause I need my intakes ported.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:08 AM   #548
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just floored it to red line and floored it for like 12 seconds getting on the parkway off an exit

how do u manage not to get the glitch when shifting 2nd to 3rd gear? I can't seem to get around that

Old 10-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #549
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
how do u manage not to get the glitch when shifting 2nd to 3rd gear? I can't seem to get around that

What do you mean by glitch?
Old 10-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #550
Registered Member
Regular

the not so smoothness between 2nd and 3rd gear. when I shift into third it's never smooth thus killing my 0-60 time

Old 10-19-2014, 11:56 AM   #551
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the not so smoothness between 2nd and 3rd gear. when I shift into third it's never smooth thus killing my 0-60 time

Well I have an automatic.
Your shifting may be off, or you could get a new shifter. Not too knowledgeable on the MT's, I do know the shifters suck though and people change them out immediately.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #552
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you do have a manual then it sounds like your MT-82 just needs some love. Cheap things to try would be Whiteline tranny bushing, a new clutch fluid line and fluid swap to Royal purple, Amsoil, or Redline. After that you could put in a MGW shifter, the new blowfish shifter bracket.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #553
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
If you do have a manual then it sounds like your MT-82 just needs some love. Cheap things to try would be Whiteline tranny bushing, a new clutch fluid line and fluid swap to Royal purple, Amsoil, or Redline. After that you could put in a MGW shifter, the new blowfish shifter bracket.

The blowfish shifter bracket is great but a bit extreme for daily use. I installed a new Barton shifter bracket and for daily use it does help a lot with the sloppy feel that the stock shifter had at high rpm shifting. And it's only like 60 dollars opposed to 300 for the blowfish.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #554
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This. Or a 2 piece shifter bracket if you wanna keep your stock shifter. I am guessing 2-3rd gear you're talking about is semi lockout/no being able to get into 3rd gear when you're pushing it/trying to shift quickly?

Also, as per a few members who tried it- blowfish shifter bracket would be highly useful for shifts above 7k rpm. Below that, not so much

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #555
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
The blowfish shifter bracket is great but a bit extreme for daily use. I installed a new Barton shifter bracket and for daily use it does help a lot with the sloppy feel that the stock shifter had at high rpm shifting. And it's only like 60 dollars opposed to 300 for the blowfish.

so with the shifter bracket the sluggishness will go away? how easy is the install?

Old 10-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #556
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
so with the shifter bracket the sluggishness will go away? how easy is the install?

The sluggish, to a great deal, will indeed go away with an aftermarket bracket. I'd suggest 2 post design as opposed to 1 post. The difference is mere 40 bucks, but it will greatly improve the feel of your stock shifter.

As for instalation, you need to go under your car and just basic hand tools would do the job. There are tons of videos available on you tube to help you out with it.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-19-2014, 02:25 PM   #557
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
BAMA- What are you really getting from them?

It helps but I wouldn't say it eliminates it 100%. The ideal fix would be a short shifter and bracket but it all depends how much money you want to spend. For 60 dollars the bracket helps and is a great value IMO. I went with the 1 piece because I didn't want to add too much noise or vibration and I mainly use the car as a DD.

You can also buy the 2 piece Barton bracket or the blowfish bracket which really help more as its a lot more solid but will also add more noise and vibration. So it really all depends how you use the car and what you want out of it as far as balancing daily drivability with performance

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:35 PM   #558
Registered Member
Regular

mmmm I want to eliminate not patch it up. I was hoping the bracket install would be from top and not under car

Old 10-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #559
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
mmmm I want to eliminate not patch it up. I was hoping the bracket install would be from top and not under car

Mhmm you have 2 options to 'eliminate' slop of our MT82s all together:

1) spend $5k+ on a tremec kit lol :p

2) MGW with high performance fluid, stainless steel clutch lines, and blow fish bracket. This will take care of at least 90-95% problems we have with MT82s.

|| ~BlackOnBlack~ ||
Old 10-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #560
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Late nights and country roads man.
+1

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
JR4288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang