BAMA- What are you really getting from them? - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #106
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
Well so as I said Paul sent me a new revision yesterday as well. I just flashed it after running on mpt revision 2 for about 48 miles. I drove on bama for about 5 mi. I must say Paul has done a great job here. He is extremely close to what mpt is offering. He might be just a tad far away like about 2% if at all. But again that's from just 5 mi of driving. I haven't been impressed with a bama tune before but this one did impress me.

Not sure grabber if Paul wrote same tune numbers for yours and mine difference being the transmission but this one is definitely impressive. Did wheels spin from 2nd to 3rd which I was never able to do with bama unless I was on the throttle like a jack ***. I did wheels spin maybe at half or a tad more of throttle. Impressive

Glad to hear you got a good one man! From both of our experiences it seems like they got some really good ones. I ordered my MPT today, and I'm excited to see what it can do. I picked 93 performance with race shifts, so that's as good as it can get they said. Who knows, maybe they will be the same! I'm thinking that the MPT may be a bit better performance wise as in all out balls to the wall power, but the Bama will be close behind and maybe better for a DD. Maybe they'll both be awesome and I'll switch between as I like!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 06:22 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMustang12 View Post
Did you try gasbuddy. Com? It's a great website to find fuel near you. I use that a lot.
Yeah I did try that, but it doesn't specify what octanes they carry from what I can see. The only couple that are relatively close (~30 miles) are one that's in a high end area of the city and is about 40 cents higher than everyone else but does have 93 or a purpose built-racing depot (thank you lawdy ) RSFuel Home Page

This one will probably be my best bet around here. Still a bit far though.

Fuels Offerred:
93 Octane, 100% Gas
91 Octane, 100% Gas
89 Octane, 100% Gas
87 Octane, 100% Gas
Diesel
CNG - Compressed Natural Gas
E10 - 10% Ethanol,90% Gas
E20 - 20% Ethanol,80% Gas
E85 - 85% Ethanol,15% Gas
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:17 AM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Hey JoeyM91 where do you live in OK? I'm in Moore and I can pm you two locations that have 93 fuel in a the OKC area. One is in Nichols Hills and one in Midwest city.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 01:26 AM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

BAMA- What are you really getting from them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14mayhem View Post
Originally steered to this forum because it seemed most suggest Bama for the "all you can eat" steak dinner of tunes, while other companies were a one time highest quality steak dinner. Looking at numbers, the difference in performance is small. Having free tunes for life still wins me over, even if they might be a few percentage points slower. And when the tunes for life are included with the purchase of the tuner, at the same price others charge for just the tuner with SCT canned tunes, or one custom tune, duh... I think most that tune plan on doing upgrades after their first tune, multiple upgrades in some cases. This makes prior tune as useless as a stock tune. Bama = Value that seems hard to beat.
This isn't entirely right. Bama isn't the only one offering free revisions.

Bama & Steeda - Free tunes for life program with and without the purchase of a tuner. Cost is $150 I believe if you don't purchase the tuner. If you get a tuner from either one tunes for life are free.

MPT - As Grabber said they offer free revisions for 6 months after purchase for basic bolt-ons for free. If you purchase a tuner from them you get 3 free tunes and same thing applies.

Lund - $200 for a tune and you get free revisions for bolt-ons.
AJcruz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJcruz1 View Post
This isn't entirelyrics right. Bama isn't the only one offering free revisions.

Bama & Steeda - Free tunes for life program with and without the purchase of a tuner. Cost is $150 I believe if you don't purchase the tuner. If you get a tuner from either one tunes for life are free.

MPT - As Grabber said they offer free revisions for 6 months after purchase for basic bolt-ons for free. If you purchase a tuner from them you get 3 free tunes and same thing applies.

Lund - $200 for a tune and you get free revisions for bolt-ons.
+1
Another thing is, why should you have to do multiple upgrades after getting your tune? As MPT explained to me, they make it as strong as possible right out of the gate so you don't have to call back and ask for more. When I asked if they could turn up the power at all, they said they really push it to the max already while keeping it safe.
I'm excited for my MPT tune to come, it should be ready by Friday. Once I get up to NH I'll load it up and test it out! And next weekend I will be tracking my car to compare stock to Bama to MPT at Englishtown in NJ (Possibly the best track for times in the country).
Old 07-23-2014, 12:01 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Now let's see what the numbers say.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
391 rwhp & 424 rwtq...Mustang Dyno 11.5@122mph
smurf stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
As someone buying a tune shortly, I'm interested to hear how the BAMA tune holds up. I've heard problems with the tune's performance deteriorating over time, possibly due to the automatic's adaptive shifting. Thanks for being the Guinean pig, this thread has been very helpful.

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf stang View Post
Now let's see what the numbers say.
Any tips for the track Smurf? It will be my first time on a drag strip, and I want to get the best times possible for you guys. I am running street tires, the Pirelli P zero nero all weather 18's, and I don't have the budget to change that right now. I do have my MPT tune set for the correct tire size however. I have been practicing my launches, and I am getting better times just flooring it from a stand-still then I am "staging" it where I have my foot on the brake and give it gas to 2,000 RPMs and then let off the brake and flooring it. Maybe I'm not doing it right, but all the different ways I've read about I've tried and just flooring it and letting the auto trans do the work is the best times for me, especially with the shifts improved from the tune. Like I said, first time at the strip and any advice is welcome
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToP View Post
As someone buying a tune shortly, I'm interested to hear how the BAMA tune holds up. I've heard problems with the tune's performance deteriorating over time, possibly due to the automatic's adaptive shifting. Thanks for being the Guinean pig, this thread has been very helpful.

I will be doing the fuse 47 pull every Friday to make sure that deterioration does not occur, as well as do it when I arrive at the track before my runs.
I haven't gotten my MPT tune yet, but I'm predicting that the Bama tune I have will be not far off at all, maybe .1 or .2 seconds IF that.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri

Dumb question, but can you give a quick guide on how to do the fuze 47 pull. I have read a lot about it, but haven't tried it yet. Thanks in advance!

Airraid CAI | BBK Ceramic Shorty Headers | BBK Catted X-Pipe | Ford Racing Sport Axlebacks | GT/CS Spoiler | Black GT500 Stripes
ToP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dumb question, but can you give a quick guide on how to do the fuze 47 pull. I have read a lot about it, but haven't tried it yet. Thanks in advance!

fuse 47 pull

Read this thread. It will answer any questions you may have better than I can!
Old 07-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks to sguevara for posting the picture in the above thread I linked in the post above titled fuse 47 pull!! If you need to see where it is there's a picture and everything!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Well at the track on street tires, disable the TC. I would probably skip the water box. Do a small little burnout just to clean the crap off the tires maybe a couple of seconds. If you do a serious burnout your street tires get oily.

Remember track prep will play a big part for off the launch and I am sure it will be very different from the street but keep practicing. Also do not worry about catching a good light as your time does not start till you cross the beams. So you could sit there for 5 seconds and it will only start till you cross the first beam. So get comfortable and go when you feel good and ready.

1989 Sonic Blue LX Coupe, 349 ci, TW heads, TFS Track Heat Intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 80mm ProM, 30 lb. inj, TKO, 3.73, 31 spline w/ TruTrac, MAC 1-5/8" LT headers w/ H pipe, Flowmaster, electric fan Moates QH
Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
That's crazy! It's at basically every station here on LI, I guess because so many high end cars. I would google where you could get it, maybe it would show something. I would also ask MPT/Bama if they could do anything for you concerning the fuel. Not sure if they could maybe bump up your performance a little while adjusting for the 91? Again, not sure on that but it doesn't hurt to ask!

I live in an area with tons of nice, expensive, performance cars and no where do they carry 93, I don't think that's the reason :/

iantrusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue1993 View Post
I pay $4.17 per gallon for 93 here on Long Island. Regular (87) is $3.87, so its really not that bad at all. 15 gallon fill up let's say, .30 more per gallon, ends up being $4.50 more per tank. But I've noticed I get better gas mileage with the 93, a tank lasts longer. It's pretty much the same for me, and I can run the 93 tunes!
You will love the prices in NH then. Also, you MUST load the tunes and take a drive on the Kancamagus highway. Thank me later.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo345 View Post
I have had both! 93R tune and MPT tune! MPT is by far more aggressive and way better in my opinion. You will love MPT over bama rune tune.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Really?! Cars runs good with the MPT

2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI 3:73 Ford Racing Gears 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
2012 v6 Black Performance Package MT CAI bbk Shorties Ceramic Headers 3:73 Ford Racing Gears MPT 91/ 91 Hybrid Bama tune Deleted Mufflers
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well at the track on street tires, disable the TC. I would probably skip the water box. Do a small little burnout just to clean the crap off the tires maybe a couple of seconds. If you do a serious burnout your street tires get oily.

Remember track prep will play a big part for off the launch and I am sure it will be very different from the street but keep practicing. Also do not worry about catching a good light as your time does not start till you cross the beams. So you could sit there for 5 seconds and it will only start till you cross the first beam. So get comfortable and go when you feel good and ready.
Thanks for the advice Smurf! Thanks for the tip on doing a quick burnout, I wouldn't have known to do that. I also would have never guessed your time doesn't start until you cross the line, I always have seen people freak out as soon as it goes green and have seen A LOT of mess ups because of it
Old 07-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintmann111 View Post
You will love the prices in NH then. Also, you MUST load the tunes and take a drive on the Kancamagus highway. Thank me later.
WOW. I just googled it. Oh my god that is beautiful. I will have to go for a drive on that. I just mapped it on google maps. I will be staying at Eagle Mountain House. It's so close! Both are close to each other in White Mountain National Forest! Not sure if you know where Eagle Mountain house is, it's a resort/golf course, it looks to be maybe not even an hour away!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:30 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:

Yeah I feel like this happened to my 91r tune. I reflashed it and it was back to its old self again. It's kinda a hassle but it felt right again.
I also submitted for a tune revision hoping to get the 91r version of grabber blues tune!

jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post
Yeah I feel like this happened to my 91r tune. I reflashed it and it was back to its old self again. It's kinda a hassle but it felt right again.
I also submitted for a tune revision hoping to get the 91r version of grabber blues tune!

Cool! Hope you get it man. What did you ask for when you contacted Bama? Just so others who want to request it can get an idea of what to say.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
When I spoke to them they said it was a beta tune that they really don't want to release to the masses right now.

llJAEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

I basically told them what you said haha. I want quicker throttle response and more torque, and the high-end power of the 93R. I wanted harder firmer shift points. I also put if I could basically have the 91R version of what Paul wrote for GrabberBlue from the forum mustang evolution .

On another note I had Louis as well and he didn't seem to happy to be picking up the phone. But he did wait for me to find which order was my tuner and then pretty much just created an order for me to put in the details into the form.
Also it seems like Bama and AM really want to increase their customer satisfaction since I was immediately sent a customer survey pertaining to how the customer service was.
jonyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyou View Post
I basically told them what you said haha. I want quicker throttle response and more torque, and the high-end power of the 93R. I wanted harder firmer shift points. I also put if I could basically have the 91R version of what Paul wrote for GrabberBlue from the forum mustang evolution .

On another note I had Louis as well and he didn't seem to happy to be picking up the phone. But he did wait for me to find which order was my tuner and then pretty much just created an order for me to put in the details into the form.
Also it seems like Bama and AM really want to increase their customer satisfaction since I was immediately sent a customer survey pertaining to how the customer service was.

Sounds like they are stepping their game up. Glad to hear that.
I guess you just have to hope you don't get Louis when you call!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by llJAEll View Post
When I spoke to them they said it was a beta tune that they really don't want to release to the masses right now.

Hm, sounds like I got the super secret Bama tune LOL. Did you end up getting a tune, or did they revise any of yours?

Old 07-24-2014, 01:07 PM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Also, my dad borrowed my car and thought the 93 tune I have in there is crazy good. He was blown away by how quick it is now. He was nice enough to get me a full tank of gas..... But he put 87 in...... So I will be using either 87 street or stock tune for my drive up to NH tomorrow morning and then when I fill up going bak to 93... Hopefully my MPT tune comes tomorrow!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

No clue yet, still waiting on my new tune. May call them soon to see what the hold up is.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No clue yet, still waiting on my new time. May call them soon to see what the hold up is.
What do you mean by new time? Did they say they'd have to call you back when you called?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

New tune sorry that was a typo. I was thinking since the tune had been written already it could've been emailed same day but I've gotten nothing from them yet.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
New tune sorry that was a typo. I was thinking since the tune had been written already it could've been emailed same day but I've gotten nothing from them yet.

I would expect it by the end of the day, at the latest 530-730, or even tomorrow if they are busy. Every car is different and you still have to put a decent amount of work into a tune to get it just right for each different vehicle. The same exact tune for me may not work as well for you. Tire sizes, CAI or no CAI, mid pipe, headers, etc. all have to be taken into account. Then customized to your vehicle off of the main template, tweaked, a few tests ran, and then cleaned up and sent out. This takes a good amount of time especially if they are busy. For example, MPT takes 3 days to send a tune out. You can rush it for an extra $35, but that's not too appealing. Even if you get it tomorrow, definitely have to give the edge to Bama. Same day or 1 day vs. 3 days? Bama wins hands down in that department.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:55 PM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

The thing is how do you know you have the tune written for GrabberBlue? How do you know that it is the "New Beta Tune"?

Old 07-24-2014, 02:01 PM   #136
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Quote:
The thing is how do you know you have the tune written for GrabberBlue? How do you know that it is the "New Beta Tune"?
Excellent question. I've been thinking that all through this thead
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Guess it's really not possible to know unless someone has the ability to actually read the code written in each tune. I'll call them today just to make sure they know I wanted grabbers tune.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #138
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Unless you've driven GrabberBlue's stang, you really have no reference point. You can only compare how your car ran before you got the new tune. There really is no way of knowing you've gotten the new GrabberBlue tune. You are only going to get what they send you to their best abilities on your specific car. At least that's my take on the amazing new tune
Borla S-Type AB, Airaid CAI, SR Performance STB, JLT Oil Separator, MPT Tuned, MMD Classic Louvers, Roush Upper & Lower Grilles, BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2 A/S Tires, Koni STR.T Shocks & Struts, SR Performance Lowering Springs, J&M Stainless Steel Teflon Brake Lines, BMR LCAs w/Brackets, BMR Panhard Rod Support, Whiteline Adj. Panhard Bar, Ford Racing Differential Finned Cover Plate, Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Lamps, JMS PedalMax
MustangDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:09 PM   #139
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think it is possible to truly know, you just have to take their word for it. If his tune really blows him away and he notices a pretty noticeable difference in it, with steady power increase throughout the entire RPM band and really hard shifts, I would think he's gotten the same one as me customized for his car, especially if he asked for mine specifically. They wouldn't lie I wouldn't think, they are a reputable company despite the CS knocks against them and the recent displeasure with their tunes in comparison to others. Same ability to know if you called MPT and asked the same thing. You have to trust they give it to you. You can't know 100%, unless you know how to read tune code and have both vehicles with you and compare. You can only ask, and if they say it's the same or similar and just as good, take their word for it and try it out.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:28 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Damn I wish I could get this tune on my car but unfortunately it's a lease. I did get a Pypes axle for cheap and installed, that's the only mod I got so far. This tune I would love to get especially because I am following my boy to bimmerfest in Maryland next weekend and I know the BMW guys are gonna call me out. With this tune I should be good.
ricketkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang